Trial Discussion Thread #30

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Liesbeth, I believe, posted the legal definition of a reasonable person and it isn't and cannot be mitigated by any disability - I personally believe any brain injury, which is rumour at this point - would likely be included. This isn't an American courtroom - by law there is very little room for mitigation.

Please pardon errors as posted via Tapatalk with a less than stellar user.

Oscar will be tested as a 'reasonable firearm owner'. An even higher standard due to the comprehensive testing, competency etc.

And that is a very high standard all things considered.

I'm still unclear as to what made him think a 'blanket' 'acquittal' would be at all possible. Perhaps the chap does need help; for only the truly deluded in these circumstances could even imagine that.

Here's the thing, while Roux was examining OP, did OP ever say that he feared for his life so he went after the intruder and intentionally fired four bullets at him? And if OP did not say specifically that, wouldn't Roux try again and again and again to get him to say that?

IDK. Maybe I am confused and OP did tell Roux that he intentionally fired at the intruder and he did not waffle about "accidentally" firing. Please let me know.

Good point.

I'm loath to watch OP's testimony again, though. It was difficult enough to watch it the first time, but it would be interesting to know for certain if Roux asked him specifically if he intended to fire his gun, and, if Roux did ask that specific question, what OP's answer was.

Maybe Lisa can spare me having to watch that part of testimony again. I know she watches each trial day, including rewinding portions, so that she can accurately write her blog.

Do I detect a hint of bias against the defendant?

Who would you compare him to in the States?

Any and all husbands / boyfriends that had murdered (shot) their wives / girlfriends late at night after an argument and then told the judge that they thought it was an intruder breaking in, armed to the teeth, with murderous intents. There's too many to pick just one.

Oscar will be tested as a 'reasonable firearm owner'. An even higher standard due to the comprehensive testing, competency etc.

I'm still unclear as to what made him think a 'blanket' 'acquittal' would be at all possible. Perhaps the chap does need help; for only the truly deluded in these circumstances could even imagine that.

I agree, which is what makes me suspicious they have evidence to prove a lasting brain trauma.

If they had that, why not run with their only real possibility of a full acquittal?

Please pardon errors as posted via Tapatalk with a less than stellar user.

Do I detect a hint of bias against the defendant?

Who would you compare him to in the States?

My opinions on Oscar were formed quite some time before the shooting.

A powder keg, that at some time would blow.

The months and years pre the London Olympics, the time during the Games and most importantly the months after sketched a picture of a man on the edge. A man not at peace with his world and his own humanity.

A man on a mission.

I was not in the least shocked or surprised waking up to the news he had shot someone. Reeva (RIP) was the unfortunate victim, but I have no doubt if not her someone else would have died at his hands.

His speeding.....his firearm obsession....his narcissism.........

A recipe for disaster. Years in the making.

I suppose I would compare him to Scott Peterson, in relative stupidity. Just all meat and no potato's...

Any and all husbands / boyfriends that had murdered (shot) their wives / girlfriends late at night after an argument and then told the judge that they thought it was an intruder breaking in, armed to the teeth, with murderous intents. There's too many to pick just one.

We just saw one of those in SA who got a suspended sentence.

I meant sports figures.

Ah, but the seeming defects in OP's personality are but the surface manifestations of the things really and deeply wrong with Oscar...

And the chicken and the egg really are the same critter, even at the same time. E.g. with modern techniques like DNA extraction, you can in effect pull the egg right out of a chicken.

Is that you Roger? :blushing:

Published academic (crayon drawings DO count) and Oscar speak Faculty Head?

I can only think that his athletic success, celebrity status and the way he was raised and is treated by his family & friends have left him with such an overweening sense of self-importance and justifiable aerrogance that he has completely lost touch with reality and actually believes that he is exempt from the law of the land.

Do you remember Leona Helmsley's oft quoted comment "Taxes are for the little people"? I wonder whether OP just does not believe he should be subject to the same rules as all the other citizens in SA because he is so very 'special'.

Oscars story is so dumb it could find so many parallels in American murderers, I am stumped due to overwhelming choice...

I meant sports figures.

The circumstances in the case you refer to, were 6 worlds away from Oscar's.

American sports stars I would compare to Oscar? In terms of what has happened (the shooting), or personality type in general?

My opinions on Oscar were formed quite some time before the shooting.

A powder keg, that at some time would blow.

The months and years pre the London Olympics, the time during the Games and most importantly the months after sketched a picture of a man on the edge. A man not at peace with his world and his own humanity.

A man on a mission.

I was not in the least shocked or surprised waking up to the news he had shot someone. Reeva (RIP) was the unfortunate victim, but I have no doubt if not her someone else would have died at his hands.

His speeding.....his firearm obsession....his narcissism.........

A recipe for disaster. Years in the making.

wow. Too bad Reeva didn't know this.

The circumstances in the case you refer to, were 6 worlds away from Oscar's.

American sports stars I would compare to Oscar? In terms of what has happened (the shooting), or personality type in general?

Personality type. It might be an unfair question. I was just trying to relate.

Is that you Roger? :blushing:

Published academic (crayon drawings DO count) and Oscar speak Faculty Head?

Dixon is a failed student of Oscar-Speak. Though he took courses. He could not get his degree. He is a geologist with mud on his face.

He would never comprehend what I just wrote.

Tanya Harding??

( she was lucky, her victim didn't die) but the same rage...

I meant sports figures.

The trial is more than half way finished, and the trial has gone very badly for OP. So why do you still believe that OP will go free on a suspended sentence? And I ask that you look at the trial as a whole before you send me a link to some obscure case that went much differently than OPs is going right now.

I can only think that his athletic success, celebrity status and the way he was raised and is treated by his family & friends have left him with such an overweening sense of self-importance and justifiable aerrogance that he has completely lost touch with reality and actually believes that he is exempt from the law of the land.

Do you remember Leona Helmsley's oft quoted comment "Taxes are for the little people"? I wonder whether OP just does not believe he should be subject to the same rules as all the other citizens in SA because he is so very 'special'.

Indeed! His comment re: Dr Stipp quite simply confirmed just how 'high up' he reckons he sits.
(Along with him chipping in out of turn in the High court re: his door. Barry apparently had hard and stern words with him after that - but with little effect. In Oscar's world, he and he alone is judge)

Do I detect a hint of bias regarding the Dewani trial which has not even started yet?

Do I detect a hint of bias that you might think he also is Mr Innocent?
Come on weeva, if anyone has seen the documentaries about the Dewani case then you cannot seriously presume innocence.
He has questions to answer, the case has been brought to trial and again... there is a murdered woman at the heart of it.
Have an open mind YES but as onlookers based on the information we already have it is not bias - it is an opinion based on the facts and information available at the time.
Anyway, this is OT.. I'm sure there will be a busy forum soon if not already

it may be .... I emphasis may.. relevant to his sentencing, if Roux brings it up as a mitigating factor. ..its a very very very long shot and may only be applicable to what prison he is incarcerated in. ... its no part of the trial itself.. Oscar should have pleaded guilty due to mental diminishment. but he didn't.. that bird has flown.

Or that boat has sailed...

Ffloyd Landis?? same capacity to lie and lie and lie and lie and lie till kingdom come....Lance is too obvious.

a touch of the Bruce Jenners, too... a sense of entitlement...

oh too many to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member