Trial Discussion Thread #35 - 14.05.08 Day 28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My feeds keep crashing too . I have to admit, from my chair My Lady didn't seem all that impressed with his CV of the '70's,and '80's. Considering what she and her colleagues endured during that time.

BIB The recent past of apartheid and it's brutality, then and now, is still a scar of South Africa. It's fascinating that she is a Judge who was arrested in the seventies while working as a journalist demonstrating against the rule of terror and divisions of white privilege.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2014/05/the-woman-who-will-judge-oscar-pistorius.html

In the mid-seventies, when she was known primarily as Matilda or Tilly, she went to jail herself, arrested after demonstrating in downtown Johannesburg against the apartheid regime’s attempts to suppress a newspaper she worked on, as well as the arrests of other journalists. Masipa and other women journalists who marched that day were deeply invested in exposing the harshness of white-minority rule, and, in particular, its consequences for women.

Another colleague, Nomavenda Mathiane, remembered, “After ’76, it was really hell.”

They only go for AN HOUR after lunch??? Are they crazy? Before the two-week hiatus, both sides and the court agreed to run late - 4:15 or 4:30. Are they backing off on that?

They always close at 3pm on the dot. No later. But often earlier, much earlier :-\

Wollie's going to look 78 the 100th time he hears Nel say, "Mr. Dixon told us you ..."

LOL I thought I was giving the guy a complement by estimating that he looked a few years younger but poor him he'll up to the ripe old age of ninety and counting before his testimony is over.

Just popping in as I haven’t had much time at all to devote to the Pistorius case but the little I have read, the witnesses for the defense certainly seems to have put the rest of the already precarious “scream “witness testimony in doubt.

I have to say I find it extremely “convenient” that Gina’s sister is claiming that Oscar whispered (or did he say it in a low tone) incendiary words to her just when it is looking good for his defense. I know at first she was the only one to have claimed to have heard and now I believe suddenly a reporter “may have heard it also”. I think that that some people close to this case are blinded by their love for Reeva and not capable viewing it dispassionately.

Busy week for me.

BBM1: We are still waiting for Oscar to scream like a woman. Will he be called back? Or will we hear a recording?

BBM2: There were witnesses that came forth from the get-go.

BBM3: Same can be said for the Oscaradorus crowd with their love for Oscar.

It is still fascinating to me that I feel I am watching a different trial than some posters here :)

I just went downstairs and hubby said, "Don't tell me they're on a break". He just laughed and laughed. I told him that I've lost about 6 feeds tonight, the last one being on the You Tube channel. He thinks maybe we should all try the comedy channel.

Counsel offered to work longer hours and we get nothing but break after break after break. You have to feel sorry for convicted guys waiting for their sentence. This trial should count as time served IMO.

Just popping in as I haven’t had much time at all to devote to the Pistorius case but the little I have read, the witnesses for the defense certainly seems to have put the rest of the already precarious “scream “witness testimony in doubt.

I have to say I find it extremely “convenient” that Gina’s sister is claiming that Oscar whispered (or did he say it in a low tone) incendiary words to her just when it is looking good for his defense. I know at first she was the only one to have claimed to have heard and now I believe suddenly a reporter “may have heard it also”. I think that that some people close to this case are blinded by their love for Reeva and not capable viewing it dispassionately.

Busy week for me.

It's not looking good for his defense. Sorry to disappoint you.

Busy week for me.
BBM - Are you seriously implying that Kim Myers is a liar and invented the whole thing just to make OP look bad? Really? And the other witnesses (including a police officer) are in cahoots too?

I'm wondering what the additional comments from Wolmaran will be, especially as he agrees overall with Mangena, on 2 of points he has been retained for. Maybe whether OP was crouching, or fired from hip. Not likely as this would not be helpful to DT IMO.

That's not the impression I got from the proceedings. I thought the DT neighbour witnesses just corroborated the common events after the last set of bangs (OP's shout for help etc).

I'm pulling for Wollie to say something, anything, that would cause Nel to recall Capt Christian Mangena to the stand again ... be still my heart.

Actually the Kim Myers incident is something to wonder about Pistorius mental state and not Steenkamp’s friends.

Witnesses (Blomberg journalist and police officer Van Staden) said Pistorius leant over and appeared to say something near Steenkamp’s friend and State witness, Kim Myers.

I think just the act of leaning over to a State witness shows unbalanced behavior. Even his denial is weird.
  1. Lawyer David Dadic suggested that engaging with a State witness may contravene Pistorius' bail orders.
  2. From Pistorius’ Bail Affidavit Statement: “Nonetheless, I undertake not to communicate with any witness, whoever he or she may be, and any other persons whose names may appear on a list of “State witnesses”, to be provided by the State.”
  3. “I respectfully submit that should I be released on bail, my release shall not disturb the public order or undermine the proper functioning of the criminal justice system.”
  4. For an accused it is beyond bizarre to lean over and discuss anything with a State witness for any reason. Especially in court, in front journalists.
  5. Pistorius defended himself by saying (terrible public relations comment) to SA journalist Ainslie Laing: "I haven't spoken to them for a year and a half. I walk past them in the corridors and hold doors open for them but they don't look me in the eye."
  6. Even his blanket denial is an odd statement - appearing to reveal an arrogant or delusional attitude. He suggests his chivalry in court about opening doors (after confessing to killing a beloved friend) deserves eye contact… I cannot comprehend that amount of presumptive confidence or why he would say such a self-defeating comment.
  7. Pistorius could have helped himself by saying he talked to Steenkamp’s friend/s out of respect, perhaps he was trying to make a conciliatory gesture or statement, but it’s an oddly telling denial.

Pistorius seems like his own worst enemy.

Like another poster said, it is as if some people are watching a different trial!

And are still prepared to doggedly believe every word of OP's "version", despite the fact that he has been proven on numerous occasions to be a liar.

I'm quite fascinated by the mentality it takes to get to this point, and I know that OP's supporters will probably scream like a woman for my suggesting this, but I am wondering if there is not a tiny, subliminal element of misogyny involved in their thinking somewhere down the line...

Busy week for me.

And why should they view it dispassionately

Busy week for me.

I don't feel she is lying but I do feel that far too much has been made of it. It was unpleasant of OP but IMO she should have shrugged and said to herself that it was par for him and moved on. Maybe she would have done if one of Nel's detectives hadn't heard it and encouraged them to take it further. Once the press get their hands on it we find it blown out of all proportion. It definitely was not nice but not earth shattering IMO.

Busy week for me.
Outstanding irony in that last sentence Carmelita.

I'm wondering what the additional comments from Wolmaran will be, especially as he agrees overall with Mangena, on 2 of points he has been retained for. Maybe whether OP was crouching, or fired from hip. Not likely as this would not be helpful to DT IMO.

Dixon put Wollie right in the middle {in charge} of all the "sound" tests. Dixon even said he gave the cricket bat used for the "whackings" test to Wollie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8