Trial Discussion Thread #35 - 14.05.08 Day 28

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gastric emptying is a controversial topic and should be avoided at all costs! If reeva was stressed, anxious when she was arguing with OP, this could very well have slowed down her digestive system. There is enough other evidence to convict OP, so Nel should let it go. But knowing Nel, he's going to argue this until she concedes. LOL!

I am late again....I see I didn't miss much.

ooooooooo....just had sound a bit in the courtroom ,,,,,not off again...

Wouldn't put it past any advocate, Nel or Roux, but here imo Roux is just going on what he sees his client needs on several points, i.e. create a reasonable doubt which is what he obvioulsy wants to do here. And iirc wasn't it Nel who bought up pre-op minimums for gastric emptying in his case after Saayman's cross by Roux?

Honestly, I don't see how the small amount of stomach contents bears on the case. It doesn't affect how the bullets ripped through her body, and it doesn't change who pulled the trigger of the gun that shot her. I don't know where any reasonable doubt could possibly be cast.

Roux has been a bit devious here. He knows an anaesthiologist cannot comment on pathology. So much of what Nel wants determined she cannot comment on. Also a bit naughty that the DT did not give the PT a copy of the anaesthiologist's report until today.

Once Nel had confirmed that she has no expertise he should have just said, there's nothing relevant here and sat down.

And some of us put the bag in a mug, stick it in the microwave and hit 2 minutes.... and once done dips the bag a few times, takes the bag out and done!

NOOOOO! I can hear my fellow Brits on this thread crying out in anguish!

Okay who shared the whoopwhoop audio? They keep making that loud whooop noise out of the blue and it scares you.

Why did Nel need a postponement? Didn't he have CL's report? I don't understand these breaks. When is the tea break?!
There is no rebuttal like in the US so he needs the time to consult with Saayman on each and every word this expert said and decide questions to ask her in order to refute her because unless he fully refutes her testimony she has, at least imho, created a reasonable doubt about the timing of the last supper... Reeva's that is ;-)

I thought Saayman reported the stomach contents so who is CL?

This is where Roux has been clever/devious because she cannot answer forensic questions as it is not her discipline.
I think he's trying to be clever and devious because he has to and I'm sure he'd be brilliant at it with 'easier' cases. But it keeps backfiring in this case, like with Mr Dixon. She will either have to make admissions based on both general and specific facts here that favour the state or she will come off looking foolish in not conceding on areas that are not her forte. I'd never try and play that game with Gerrie Nel, especially not when he has a pathologist sitting behind him.

:gasp: You forgot the overwhelming amount of sugar that is added! You are a TRUE southerner are you not? And must be added when the tea is still warm so that more sugar can be dissolved in the tea!

Obviously, someone has schooled you in the proper way to make sweet tea!!!

IIRC Saayman said some white matter could have been cheese.

Yes, we realise that but what we are saying is that he would've found chicken not cheese, seeing as they had a chicken stir fry not a cheese stir fry.

I think they are back but my feed is stopping/starting

No, they are.

Gastric emptying is a controversial topic and should be avoided at all costs! If reeva was stressed, anxious when she was arguing with OP, this could very well have slowed down her digestive system. There is enough other evidence to convict OP, so Nel should let it go. But knowing Nel, he's going to argue this until she concedes. LOL!
You're a lot more confident than I am that there's enough evidence to let this go. And re the last sentence: why would you not want the prosecutor to attempt to get her to concede a point of fact in a murder trial in a court of law?

Nel found an article for her to read during the break but she wasn't told which one of 'the bundle 'I was handed' it was.

Honestly, I don't see how the small amount of stomach contents bears on the case. It doesn't affect how the bullets ripped through her body, and it doesn't change who pulled the trigger of the gun that shot her. I don't know where any reasonable doubt could possibly be cast.

It's hugely important in establishing whether OP's version is true or not, i.e. that they went to sleep at around 10:00 (or rather, he says he went to sleep around 9-10pm and Reeva was still awake at that point) .. or whether they were/Reeva was up much later than that and that they were having an argument. The PT are not only trying to get him convicted of murder, they want answers to what really happened that night, too .. Reeva's family and friends need to know what really happened, they just want the truth.

Once Nel had confirmed that she has no expertise he should have just said, there's nothing relevant here and sat down.

Very Good Point. She would then not have been able to help the Defence with her comments.

My boilerman just came....

He doesn't need my help. :)

Why is it acceptable that Nel did not get this report until today and only had 30 minutes to go over it? How is this acceptable?

Was this particular expert on the expert list (if there is one) or is she is a recently attained expert? Like ,,,,,, last week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megan phillips lynch