Trial Discussion Thread #38 - 14.05.13 Day 31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nel wants the application considered now.

Judge wants to know where Nel is getting his definition of mental illness and he quotes a case.

Could MiLady just rule that the defence had the chance to agree to the assessment and because they are rejecting it, then they won't be able to use it to bring an appeal .. and therefore she will reject the application?

Perhaps, but on the other hand, an appeal could be launched based on incompetent representation, one factor being that the accused was denied an independent psychiatric assessment by his counsel.

IMO, the Judge must refer him.

Nel is arguing for the possibility of either a mental illness or a mental disorder to be evaluated in a professional and impartial manner.. to be confirmed or discarded as a factor of the case..

oh oh I am wrong, milady!! I quoted the wrong case, but I have the right one now.

Ooh, don't lose your way now Nel....he has mixed up the cases he is referencing....

After 30 minutes of arguments it's going to be pretty funny if the Judge makes a ruling right away.

I think if she does it indicates that she had made her mind up before the argument was put. That would not be good. I don't find her a fast thinker. She will need to go away and think.

Nel says if there is a reasonable possibility of mental illness it must be considered, and state cannot say if OP is mentally ill. They need a professional evaluation.

surely a second opinion over the course of 30 days makes perfect sense. the psych expert spent only two meetings with op, and already found gad. which opens the door... maybe there is more...

its almost difficult to remember that Vorster was a defence witness..

didn't Roux woodshed her before her testimony?? its all so bizarre..

surely a second opinion over the course of 30 days makes perfect sense. the psych expert spent only two meetings with op, and already found gad. which opens the door... maybe there is more...

they will find alphabet soup in 30 days.. ye gods. it will be never ending..

Perhaps, but on the other hand, an appeal could be launched based on incompetent representation, one factor being that the accused was denied an independent psychiatric assessment by his counsel.

IMO, the Judge must refer him.

Ah, ok .. thanks for this information .. yes, then she must, as you say.

N: The argument about delusions and paranoia is not what we are basing this on, it's the evidence of the defence witness....linked GAD as a psychiatric factor

It is a bit of a joke that a psychiatrist can make the GAD diagnosis after 2 days with OP though. She must be able to label 95% of her patients with that disorder.

if Nel gets the referral I sincerely hope that the examining psyches are not women. I am one myself, but they seem to take Oscars word. he says the moon is blue, they say yes, nice shade of indigo.

Nel saying state never brought up psych factors and never will. 'But the defence did, and the court must act.'

Nel down, and Roux butts in again as judge was about to adjourn, I think.

Huge grin on my face...

I think after this, I either need to submit an application for membership to Nel's Belles or begin a career in professional internet stalking.

(Note: If I'm ever arrested for charges of the latter, you never read this.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yappychappy