Trial Discussion Thread #38 - 14.05.13 Day 31

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon of all the mistakes Roux has made so far in this trial putting this witness on the stand for the defence is his biggest mistake!
It's unusual for me to defend a defence attorney as much as I have Roux. I agree, this witness has been damaging, but the defence team really were left no choice but to put someone on the stand to attempt to bolster Oscar's testimony because it really was that bad. Had they let it stand, without attempting to strengthen his defence, not only would they not be doing the best for their client, as they're ethically required - they may well have allowed Oscar to be successful pursuing an appeal using a claim of ineffective counsel.

This outcome isn't the fault of the defence team, in my opinion, but rather the accused who, in my estimation, very likely did not follow the advice of his team. It was his own damning testimony, I believe, that even necessitated this witness.

MOO

Imagine getting a caught in a lie and your dad was Nel.

I know exactly what that was like. My dad was a very well respected, prominent attorney. It was very hard to withstand his questioning when I would sneak in late from a party...:blush:

Roux seems to be stuck to his chair today.....unlike yesterday

I know exactly what that was like. My dad was a very well respected, prominent attorney. It was very hard to withstand his questioning when I would sneak in late from a party...:blush:
Do I recall correctly that you're the daughter of a defense attorney too? As such, IIRC, what's your take on Roux?

I think he's a very good attorney with a very bad case and an even worse client.

Speaking of nervous.

3704751_G.jpg

I think maybe both...he woke up angry about the doors open. Then woke her up yelling and it escalated, to where he went nutso and she threatened to call the cops...

he could NOT allow that to happen..

probably combined with some jealous nonesense about her lunch the day before (?) with the former 5-year love interest, AND that she decided to dump him.

FINAL STRAW: when she started screaming..... AND threatened to call the police. That exclamation point on the end of that sentence of hers was a hollow point.

It all seems so much calmer today after they've had a night to reflect on yesterdays events.

I'm waiting for Nel to get to the part where OP is diagnosed as dangerous if he has access to a firearm. It's like yesterday didn't happen. It has to be something he is building up to.

Or has he changed his mind about a S78 application which is what I'm thinking, not least because to me it appeared yesterday my lady was not convinced on such a move.

It all seems so much calmer today after they've had a night to reflect on yesterdays events.

I'm waiting for Nel to get to the part where OP is diagnosed as dangerous if he has access to a firearm. It's like yesterday didn't happen. It has to be something he is building up to.

I can't see Nel asking for that today, this witnesses has watered down her testimony on the key points from yesterday.

That reminds me about Steenkamp and all the videos I've been watching to get a handle on her character.

She was a law graduate. She worked as a paralegal. She had plans to set the bar exam in 2011.

Law students and people progressing in the law field have to be relatively adept at language. She knew how to analyse, argue and get her point across. And she far more educated than Pistorius or probably most of his previous girlfriends.

Though people said she didn't like confrontation, I completely think she was arguing for an hour with Pistorius that night.

Does anyone know if it's likely that Nel will apply to re-open the state's case to introduce their psych's opinion?

I'm really upset by this witness today. She's tailoring HER testimony.

On the defense side, there's more tailoring going on in this trial than there is in Hong Kong.

It's unusual for me to defend a defence attorney as much as I have Roux. I agree, this witness has been damaging, but the defence team really were left no choice but to put someone on the stand to attempt to bolster Oscar's testimony because it really was that bad. Had they let it stand, without attempting to strengthen his defence, not only would they not be doing the best for their client, as they're ethically required - they may well have allowed Oscar to be successful pursuing an appeal using a claim of ineffective counsel.

This outcome isn't the fault of the defence team, in my opinion, but rather the accused who, in my estimation, very likely did not follow the advice of his team. It was his own damning testimony, I believe, that even necessitated this witness.

MOO

Agree with you - you know the DT case is BS and in tatters when you have a year to prepare the case with witnesses (which hinged on his state of mind) and you get a psych expert that only interviewed OP twice last month...

Or has he changed his mind about a S78 application which is what I'm thinking, not least because to me it appeared yesterday my lady was not convinced on such a move.

Keep your hopes up, but... Yesterday Judge Masipa said that Mr. Nel cannot bring his application until after Roux has his opportunity to complete his redirect of V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notaryroute