Trial Discussion Thread #40

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Don't dig too deeply. You will see him twice and will only hear from his family and friends. We think he has a minor anxiety disorder.........."

'and you musn't argue with him. .. you know what I mean.. .what he says is what goes.. just go with it. . arguing with him is counterproductive, but don't say that... just don't do it..

oh.. and by the way, prepared to be maligned in court by Oscar at some stage.. . you'll be told you appeared overwhelmed, you don't know what you're doing, etc. .. just harden up for that.. and ..

oh.. another thing.. ( and so on and on) ....

Tragically it seems evident that Wollie Wolmarans dragged the good Mr Dixon on board on the day of Oscar's bail hearing.
The two are obviously good friends, and Wollie was simply giving a mate a 'good gig'.

RSBM

That it all went south was unfortunate for both. (This due to Oscar planning, managing and for all intents 'handling' his own defense through his instructing attorney Brian Webber. Roux simply takes instruction, with Oldwage I'm sure adding little due to his rather limited experience in such matters.)

Cape Town Crim:
I fully believe that Oscar WAS evaluated by clinical teams before the trial, and it was decided very quickly to bury those reports and not use them at all.

Brian Webber must be a saint.. he has enough on his plate to try the patience of a saint..

Oscar bigging himself up and complaining at the same time. par for the course.. it has only escalated, too.

RSBM

Whilst I agree largely with the above, questions are nagging me. In the UK there are occasions when a defendant dispenses with the services of a lawyer, for reasons that are not usually made clear. The court would need to give permission for this I believe. Some here have commented that this would be extraordinary, or even not allowed by the courts.

What I noticed with Dr V was that she didn't compromise her professional integrity, and was willing to say what she thought regardless of which side had retained her. This apart from the short time she had to make her assessment.

My issue is why would a lawyer compromise professional integrity because they had an awkward, forceful client who does not accept proper legal advice? Why not refuse to represent them any longer on these grounds?

If a pre-trial report was done and withheld due to information that could be incriminating, surely that is grossly unprofessional with regard to the safety of others?

These issues have been puzzling me throughout.

To our Trooper, thank you for contribution to the thread, reporting on the Trial as it happens and providing informative, witty commentary as well.
Much appreciated by all IMO. Look forward to you and your dog stories, many of which have made me laugh aloud. Keep up the great work. :cheers:

I love Australians in general and he/she has to be one of my VERY fave Aussies :loveyou: (friendly love) :blushing:

I'm reading his/her comments and updates on the previous threads to 'catch up' what I missed due to the elections in SA.

What a rock star he/she is.

Can you imagine the pressures of defending an undiagnosed Narcissist?
I believe they are all saints.
OP rules like Joffrey Lannister did, before his unfortunate end.

Interesting that his room mate during the Olympics moved out of their shared room due to OP shouting at people over his phone 24/7.

I can only imagine the DT meetings. :facepalm:

His family on the other hand just seem to be plain scared of him and his reactions. His sister's entire demeanor is that of a 'fearful woman' - pardon me for saying this.
Furtive glances the entire time to make sure her brother isn't going to implode, the praying, the silent begging, the pandering to his ego during every break, the consoling. Fear. fear. fear.
It's the only reason a seemingly intelligent woman would take a hand bag from a crime scene. IMHO of course.

BBM for emphasis..

well darn spotted, Capey.. well spotted indeed.. I have seen her as 'the enabler' all this time, but your post shed another light .. I saw her only in the light of one who strokes and assists.. .. as a good Boer woman should do. knowing her place etc.. . but fear. for sure. fear is there , its oozing out of her, and a hell of a lot of it is fear OF Oscar, not for him.

ha, Joffrey.. his end was as unfortunate as Terre Blanche's........ unfortunate for Joffrey and Terre, of course.

Hello all! First time poster here (been lurking to an unhealthy degree during this trial however)! I thought posting this might be useful:

79 Panel for purposes of enquiry and report under sections 77 and 78

(1) Where a court issues a direction under section 77 (1) or 78 (2), the relevant enquiry shall be conducted and be reported on-
(b) where the accused is charged with murder
(i) by the medical superintendent of a psychiatric hospital designated by the court, or by a psychiatrist appointed by the medical superintendent at the request of the court;
(ii) by a psychiatrist appointed by the court and who is not in the full-time service of the State unless the court directs otherwise, upon application of the prosecutor, in accordance with directives issued under subsection (13) by the National Director of Public Prosecutions;
(iii) by a psychiatrist appointed for the accused by the court; and
(iv) by a clinical psychologist where the court so directs.

(1A) The prosecutor undertaking the prosecution of the accused or any other prosecutor attached to the same court shall provide the persons who, in terms of subsection (1), have to conduct the enquiry and report on the accused's mental capacity with a report in which the following are stated, namely-
(a) whether the referral is taking place in terms of section 77 or 78;
(b) at whose request or on whose initiative the referral is taking place;
(c) the nature of the charge against the accused;
(d) the stage of the proceedings at which the referral took place;
(e) the purport of any statement made by the accused before or during the court proceedings that is relevant with regard to his or her mental condition or mental capacity;
(f) the purport of evidence that has been given that is relevant to the accused's mental condition or mental capacity;
(g) in so far as it is within the knowledge of the prosecutor, the accused's social background and family composition and the names and addresses of his or her near relatives; and
(h) any other fact that may in the opinion of the prosecutor be relevant in the evaluation of the accused's mental condition or mental capacity.

(2) (a) The court may for the purposes of the relevant enquiry commit the accused to a psychiatric hospital or to any other place designated by the court, for such periods, not exceeding thirty days at a time, as the court may from time to time determine, and where an accused is in custody when he is so committed, he shall, while he is so committed, be deemed to be in the lawful custody of the person or the authority in whose custody he was at the time of such committal.
(b) When the period of committal is for the first time extended under paragraph (a), such extension may be granted in the absence of the accused unless the accused or his legal representative requests otherwise.

(3) The relevant report shall be in writing and shall be submitted in triplicate to the registrar or, as the case may be, the clerk of the court in question, who shall make a copy thereof available to the prosecutor and the accused.

(4) The report shall-
(a) include a description of the nature of the enquiry; and
(b) include a diagnosis of the mental condition of the accused; and (c) if the enquiry is under section 77 (1), include a finding as to whether the accused is capable of understanding the proceedings in question so as to make a proper defence; or
(d) if the enquiry is in terms of section 78 (2), include a finding as to the extent to which the capacity of the accused to appreciate the wrongfulness of the act in question or to act in accordance with an appreciation of the wrongfulness of that act was, at the time of the commission thereof, affected by mental illness or mental defect or by any other cause.

(5) If the persons conducting the relevant enquiry are not unanimous in their finding under paragraph (c) or (d) of subsection (4), such fact shall be mentioned in the report and each of such persons shall give his finding on the matter in question.

(6) Subject to the provisions of subsection (7), the contents of the report shall be admissible in evidence at criminal proceedings.

(7) A statement made by an accused at the relevant enquiry shall not be admissible in evidence against the accused at criminal proceedings, except to the extent to which it may be relevant to the determination of the mental condition of the accused, in which event such statement shall be admissible notwithstanding that it may otherwise be inadmissible.

Thank you for this post Pandax81. Very informative. Appreciated. "A statement made by an accused at the relevant enquiry shall not be admissible in evidence against the accused at criminal proceedings..." This was an interesting piece of information IMO. So hypothetically, if Oscar makes a statement of admission during the enquiry, it cannot be used as evidence against him in criminal proceedings?

BBM for emphasis..

well darn spotted, Capey.. well spotted indeed.. I have seen her as 'the enabler' all this time, but your post shed another light .. I saw her only in the light of one who strokes and assists.. .. as a good Boer woman should do. knowing her place etc.. . but fear. for sure. fear is there , its oozing out of her, and a hell of a lot of it is fear OF Oscar, not for him.

I have been loathe to say it (and I still feel a little :blushing: saying it), but IMHO she exhibits much of what 'could' be expected of a DV victim.

I find her and OP's relationship to be worthy of MUCH psychological study.

In fact, shortly before the shooting, in a special Valentine's Issue of a popular Afrikaans magazine, SARIE; their February edition; Aimee and Oscar were the cover pair. A very interesting article followed inside.

Far be it from me to judge their relationship as more 'abuser and victim' than brother and sister - one can't help but wonder off in this direction.

Apologies if I have offended anyone.

'and you musn't argue with him. .. you know what I mean.. .what he says is what goes.. just go with it. . arguing with him is counterproductive, but don't say that... just don't do it..

oh.. and by the way, prepared to be maligned in court by Oscar at some stage.. . you'll be told you appeared overwhelmed, you don't know what you're doing, etc. .. just harden up for that.. and ..

oh.. another thing.. ( and so on and on) ....

BIB a tad ironic considering his sponsor.

Thank you for this post Pandax81. Very informative. Appreciated. "A statement made by an accused at the relevant enquiry shall not be admissible in evidence against the accused at criminal proceedings..." This was an interesting piece of information IMO. So hypothetically, if Oscar makes a statement of admission during the enquiry, it cannot be used as evidence against him in criminal proceedings?

My eyes were drawn to that bit too.

And welcome to Pandax81
:welcome6:

Re: OP's "problems". There have been several former friends/cohorts who have been interviewed on camera who have stated (paraphrasing) "we all knew it was only a matter of time until something really bad happened". Will this type of thing come in front of the psychiatrists on the panel? Can they ask for a one-on-one interview of such a person to elicit more specific information about "incidents"?

I just re-watched the tape of Roux at the beginning of Dr. Vorster's testimony. I actually think it is possible he had not yet even seen her report at that point. He covers getting his hands on a copy of the report by saying "I should have asked you for your report" and "Do you also have your CV?" THEN it appears his "left hand man" makes copies of everything right there?"

Who is this Webber person mentioned and what is his role on the Defense Team?

I wonder if OP's father will agree to be interviewed by the psychiatric team?

5. Gerrie has managed to enter into evidence, by means of this evaluation, ALL SORTS of things he would not have been able to before. Be reminded that Dr Vorster had statements from Oscar’s friends (Divaris etc) and family – this panel is entitled to delve a little further if they feel it necessary (and they will....) by asking the state to provide them with statements from let’s say for example, The Myers sisters; Bachelor; Sam Taylor’s mother etc. They might not – BUT, the psychiatrist appointed by the prosecution, will most certainly be interested in exploring his ‘behavioural history’ with relation to this case and the build up of events leading to Feb 13. This of course, would include the escalation in Oscar’s behaviour from Sept 2012 until the Feb 13. This folk, is GOLD. Everything the defense worked so hard to ‘keep out’ is now being let in – albeit in a rather backwards manner. Remember, this usually happens during the sentencing phase so I am going to give you an example of how detailed SOME sections of the evaluation may be – there will be forensic social workers, the 3 appointed psychiatrists (defense, prosecution, and state institution), clinical psychologists etc.
http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/killer-teen-taught-that-men-don-t-cry-1.1688381#.U3Rjcyg0ojg

~respectfully snipped~

I don't know if it's just that I live in the UK, but I just find all this really weird that what seems to be happening is that a large part of OP's trial is now going to be carried out via a panel of psychologists .. they are consulting with member's of OP's family, his friends, possible even his ex friends now .. and then even questionning OP about the night in question in order to diagnose what type of mental illness he has.

I'm almost certain that this would not be allowed in the UK and that a defendant and their friends and family(/witnesses, character witness or whatever) would only be allowed to 1) provide statements to the police and 2) give evidence in court.

I just find all this 'behind the scenes' stuff with psychologists really disconcerting and I'm sure that this is not the way we would go about it here in the UK and that the only time a defendant would be obliged to give their version of what happened during a crime they committed would be to the police, and then directly to a court in front of a judge and a jury because anything else done behind the scenes could be open to misinterpretation. Obviously psychologists may be involved at some stage, but I don't believe that a defendant would ever have to explain their version of involvement in a crime to them, not in this country they wouldn't .. I think that they would have the right to remain silent in any such situation (I think they even have that right when being questionned by police, in case anything they say is misconstrued? I can't remember if this is still the case or not .. I know it used to be)

Thanks CTC. I'm about to go for a run - procrastinating cos it's dark and rainy - but I agree that there prob already has been a psych assessment that the DT organised but didn't like. To me it seemed like a big feature of his defence was to be his emotional "vulnerability" resulting from his disability - so why was there only a psych assessment a few weeks ago (and when things weren't going well)?

I'll be surprised if he's found to suffer from a form of mental illness that's so severe that he can't be held "criminally responsible" but I wouldn't be surprised if his evasiveness, narcissistic traits etc are noted.

Nel's request for inpatient assessment seemed to cause a lot of consternation and although appropriate many legal minds found it "extreme". I'm seriously wondering if there's a "mole" in the DT who disclosed how damaging the findings in any previous report could be. Nel's already known a few secrets like the sound test tampering.

~respectfully snipped~

I don't know if it's just that I live in the UK, but I just find all this really weird that what seems to be happening is that a large part of OP's trial is now going to be carried out via a panel of psychologists .. they are consulting with member's of OP's family, his friends, possible even his ex friends now .. and then even questionning OP about the night in question in order to diagnose what type of mental illness he has.

I'm almost certain that this would not be allowed in the UK and that a defendant and their friends and family(/witnesses, character witness or whatever) would only be allowed to 1) provide statements to the police and 2) give evidence in court.

I just find all this 'behind the scenes' stuff with psychologists really disconcerting and I'm sure that this is not the way we would go about it here in the UK and that the only time a defendant would be obliged to give their version of what happened during a crime they committed would be to the police, and then directly to a court in front of a judge and a jury because anything else done behind the scenes could be open to misinterpretation. Obviously psychologists may be involved at some stage, but I don't believe that a defendant would ever have to explain their version of involvement in a crime to them, not in this country they wouldn't .. I think that they would have the right to remain silent in any such situation (I think they even have that right when being questionned by police, in case anything they say is misconstrued? I can't remember if this is still the case or not .. I know it used to be)

(a)... the panel of psyches are not going to be questioning about what mental illness he has , but more so , IF he has one. He may have no such of a thing. If it wasn't for the Defence witness firmly stating this to be so under the auspices of her verified expertise , it would have simply been one more lot of evidence testified, as an opinion. If, say, Dixon had floated this idea that Oscar had anxiety disorder, etc. it would have no impact. He isn't qualified to sustain that opinion, nor was he called into the defence team specifically for that purpose. Its Vorsters adamant testimony , plus her expert status that gives impetus to the matter being investigated thoroughly

(b) It wont be behind the scenes.. if anything was behind the scene it was Vorsters consultation with Oscar and others .. chosen others. That is how it should be for a defendant, but then when your own expert explains that you are a dangerous man, having a long term mental disorder.. then the court is obliged to lay down fences and adjudicate this particular tangent. Whatever findings they make , and whatever findings they don't make are the property of the court , both defence and prosecution and ultimately , the judge. They don't own their findings, neither does Oscar.

(c).. Oscar is facing a prima facie case. his burden is to prove that he fired believing he heard an intruder. the State doesn't have to prove that he killed Reeva.. this is indisputed. A judge has decided that Oscar must answer the case against him. This is why he is on trial for murder. So Oscar has a rather heavier burden than your usual run of the mill defendant. He is already adjudged guilty of homicide. its a matter of degree. Oscar could have bitten the bullet ( unfortunate phrase) in the beginning by pleading guilty to culpable homicide, but Oscar is going for broke. He wants to be found guilty of nothing. nothing at all except being a bit OTT in regard to security. and making a mistake.

And here's Kelly, spinning like a top. It's interesting that the accompanying article only states this development is a possible blow for Pistorius because it will extend his trial.

Next time CTC is on here I'd be interested in their thoughts as to why Phelps, a senior law lecturer, seems so reluctant to acknowledge or discuss any flaws in the defence strategies or testimonies. Bear in mind this is a woman who thought Roger Dixon was a good witness for the defence. My theory is two-fold: a) there's a bit of the 'Pistorian' in her and b) it's CNN's editorial policy. With the latter I think the logic is a heartbroken broken-down hero who mistakenly shoots his beautiful model girlfriend because he thought she was an intruder is a much more palatable story to try and sell when compared to an angry over-entitled jerk who shoots his beautiful model girlfriend dead in a fit of rage. Who's going to care much at all about such a person and what happens to them.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/14/world/africa/oscar-pistorius-trial-what-next/?hpt=wo_c2

~respectfully snipped~

Oscar most certainly still has the right to silence in terms of ANYTHING that could incriminate him re: the crime. Solving a crime or extracting a confession is not what the panel will be doing.
One must remember that this a court ordered evaluation, in which the court has instructed a panel (3 psychiatrists - most definitely - 1 defense, 1 prosecution, 1 STATE institution Weskoppies for example along with any clinical psychologists, forensic social workers etc that might be agreed on - Barry has already alluded to clinical psychologists). Oscar whilst not having to answer any incriminating questions (and any admissions of guilt will not be admissible in any event) has been ordered by the court to participate in this evaluation, testing etc.

The gold mine I speak of, is that all reports compiled by the panel will be available to Gerrie Nel. These reports will clearly indicate where the information was gained and will in all probability refer to his childhood, events, events leading up to the incident, interviews with WHOMEVER the panel desire. This in order to provide an appropriate diagnosis if necessary or highlight his mental capacity at the time of the shooting, as well as now.

They have to state to the court if Oscar knew the difference between right and wrong, and if he was able to act accordingly etc etc.

To do this, the panel (and the PT's psychiatrist in particular) they need a VERY BROAD frame of reference. Not just fond words and recommendations from loved ones.

In their findings and reports lies a potential gold mine. Gerrie would never have come close to having a PT shrink actually interviewing Oscar - not even if he re-opened his case. It would not happen. The only way a PT shrink was going to come close to Oscar and his inner working - would be through sectioning.

Remember, that state are NOT entitled to call character witnesses during the presentation of their case, so much of what the prosecution knew to be 'true' about OP's character - was buried. (The Myer's girls have stated that nothing they told police in statements has been revealed in court - this because it is inadmissible.)

However, this evaluation brings the opportunity for 'some' of OP's previous behavior etc to be evaluated - and not just from a positive PR family, defense paid angle.

Gerrie get's access to everything that goes down in the 30 days. For the PT (who have been fighting blind, due to the accused's and defense's 'blanket right to silence' on eveyrthing) this is gold - of huge value.

It tells him exactly in which way to move forward (closing etc) What is found in these reports (the findings) - WILL be entered into evidence, and may be used in argument.

Remember, OP can refuse to answer anything put to him by the panel. Anything that may incriminate him. He has however been ordered by the courts to participate. It's risky for him to be anything other than co-operative............

(personally, I believe Gerrie reckons his true colours won't take long to emerge without the help of anything external. OP can not keep up a facade for 30 days. The hope for the prosecution, I'm sure: Fit to stand trial, zero anxiety disorder, but Narcissistic tendencies etc)

It really is beneficial to the PT - either way.

Thanks CCC. I'm about to go for a run - procrastinating cos it's dark and rainy - but I agree that there prob already has been a psych assessment that the DT organised but didn't like. To me it seemed like a big feature of his defence was to be his emotional "vulnerability" resulting from his disability - so why was there only a psych assessment a few weeks ago (and when things weren't going well)?

I'll be surprised if he's found to suffer from a form of mental illness that's so severe that he can't be held "criminally responsible" but I wouldn't be surprised if his evasiveness, narcissistic traits etc are noted.

Nel's request for inpatient assessment seemed to cause a lot of consternation and although appropriate many legal minds found it "extreme". I'm seriously wondering if there's a "mole" in the DT who disclosed how damaging the findings in any previous report could be. Nel's already known a few secrets like the sound test tampering.
So legal minds are saying it's extreme that Nel wants Pistorius to be examined on an inpatient basis? That seems strange since one SA psychiatrist was saying she'd never heard of this type of investigation being done on an outpatient basis and someone on the previous thread linked to a comment from the psych hospital that this particular type of court-ordered evaluation had never been done as out-patient there before. If I got all that right then wanting him to be an outpatient would be the extreme position.

And here's Kelly, spinning like a top. It's interesting that the accompanying article only states this development is a possible blow for Pistorius because it will extend his trial.

Next time CTC is on here I'd be interested in their thoughts as to why Phelps, a senior law lecturer, seems so reluctant to acknowledge or discuss any flaws in the defence strategies or testimonies. Bear in mind this is a woman who thought Roger Dixon was a good witness for the defence. My theory is two-fold: a) there's a bit of the 'Pistorian' in her and b) it's CNN's editorial policy. With the latter I think the logic is a heartbroken broken-down hero who mistakenly shoots his beautiful model girlfriend because he thought she was an intruder is a much more palatable story to try and sell when compared to an angry over-entitled jerk who shoots his beautiful model girlfriend dead in a fit of rage. Who's going to care much at all about such a person and what happens to them.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/14/world/africa/oscar-pistorius-trial-what-next/?hpt=wo_c2

Kelly Phelps :floorlaugh: Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh dear.

The feeble minded fangirl was already wailing about his innocence before the facts of the case were even known.

You have to ask yourself the question as to why 99% of the legal professionals in SA, (and I mean this......I can name them: Manny Witz, Renier Spies, James Grant, Ulrich Roux, William Booth etc etc etc) ALL feel differently to what she (the lecturer in law) does.

:floorlaugh:

My fave defense advocate, Renier Spier was asked during OP's testimony WHAT he would be doing if Oscar were his client. He stated that he would be saying, "Oh my ***, Oh my ***, Oh my ***". The rest concurred.

Kelly of course thought he was fabulous......... :facepalm:

I have a little something written by Prof M Simpson re: OP's 'fans'; the Pistorians (of which I am now certain KP is one.....) In fact, if you want a balanced view on what most of SA is thinking - read his columns. I will post a few of the funnier ones :scared::scared:

"There seems to be little evidence of any intelligence. They’re like Flat-Earthers or those who believe in alien abductions. The belief is primary, and not the result of reason or logic. They begin with an attractive belief, and then try to turn it into reality.

These kind of people are often drab; they lead drab little lives and like to seize on a belief or cause to provide them with a central organizing point and some semblance of excitement. They may have superficially full and busy lives, but still crave the thrill of a special "cause". "

:floorlaugh:

So legal minds are saying it's extreme that Nel wants Pistorius to be examined on an inpatient basis? That seems strange since one SA psychiatrist was saying she'd never heard of this type of investigation being done on an outpatient basis and someone on the previous thread linked to a comment from the psych hospital that this particular type of court-ordered evaluation had never been done as out-patient there before. If I got all that right then wanting him to be an outpatient would be the extreme position.

Very extreme. But is has been done. I just can't think of the case.

I'm quite happy with the outpatient ruling. I feel folk are far more pathetic and 'anxious' when institutionalized than what they are when they 'feel' they are in control.

OP would be certain he was in control and 'special' because he would only be visiting Weskoppies from 5am until 9pm daily, not staying there.

Him thinking he is in control is far more beneficial for an accurate diagnosis. IMHO.

His sitting sniveling in a padded cell; sleeping on a mattress on the floor, whilst listening to sociopaths taunt him would make a diagnosis of GAD very easy........... Not as easy if he doesn't have that 'fear' of sleeping there, and losing control. He believes this is going to be a 'diddle' for a manipulator such as he..... :facepalm: because he is 'special' and in control. I say, "the computer says no"

I do hope he gets to do some art and music therapy though. :drumroll:

Thanks CTC - so what do you think of the idea that it's also CNN's policy? I think it must be or there would be better discussion of the case overall. You may have missed it but there was one post I made where Phelps and Robyn Curnow were discussing the day in court a couple of weeks ago and it went back to the studio a bit abruptly and the two anchors, who had obviously been watching (it was when they were transmitting the court proceedings live, maybe during OP's cross) had those open-mouthed 'are we watching the same thing?' expressions on their faces.

This is her interview when he was first arrested and is apparantly what got her the CNN gig - she seems quite fair and balanced here but something changed ...

Kelly Phelps from the UCT law faculty talk to us about self- defence (15.2.2013) - YouTube

I read that article on the Pistorians - it was funny and I liked that the author pulled no punches in describing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper