Trial Discussion Thread #45 - 14.07.3, Day 36

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nel trying to get Prof to concede he gave character eveidence not expert evidence.

N: Have you applied your evidence in a criminal field before?

D: No.

Sounds like Nel has nothing of substance to cross examine this witness about.

He's only just got up! :facepalm:

.. mind you, there's probably not a lot to CE him on, seeing as most of what he said was totally irrelevant, so from that perspective, you are correct ;-)

N qouting guidelines that say docs 'must always act in best interest of patient'.

N: Would you say you are?

When doc agrees he is, Nel asks if he thinks that makes him objective in court.

N: That is the overriding factor? Am I right?

D: No, I am here to tell the truth. Overriding factor is to tell the truth...that is what I will do.

N: Guidelines...they should avoid giving evidence in any matter where they've been treating the accused. Know about that?

D: No, but I can understand that.

Judge asks for copy of those guidelines.

wow. I just saw a slight smile from My Lady when Nel asked if he could give the witness a copy of the Rules Of Conduct of professional psychs....lol

I don't think Judge Masipa will like this. The guy is an expert but I agree that he's muddied the waters between character and expert testimony.

N: (Reads extracts from guuidelines)

Oldwage objects: One cannot do this...attempt to suggest Prof is here only to serve patient's best interest...

Then goes on to tell court how Nel should have asked his question.

Now he's got a reference paper: 'Prof D has never suggested he's a psychologist.'

N: It's not my intention to say there is a bar...in the context of his evidence I'm using analogy. Not saying this guideline applicable to the witness.

Oh FGS, O is up already, objecting :facepalm: .. flipping cheek he has got saying that Nel is misleading .. we've just sat and listening for hours on end your own expert witness giving a statement which is intended by the DT to mislead the court!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notaryroute