Trial Discussion Thread #46 - 14.07.7, Day 37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Adjourned till tomorrow

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Judge: ...all they have to do is consult Dr Fein. My ruling, defence is not entitled to consult with Dr Kotze.

R: I'm not planning to call Dr Fein. Asks for adjournment till tom.

Granted.

Judge wants to see counsel in her chambers though....

Court's done. And if tomorrow the defence stick to it, should be the quickest session ever before court is adjourned again and closing arguments are made - which might be another month break!! :(

Thought about which great philosophy quote to use but in the end went with Nelson from the Simpsons HA HA!.

I wonder if they're discussing the video in chambers...

Just catching up here in my lunch break.

Oldwage on re-examination of Derman handed a wrapped gift to the prosecution, with a bow on.

Under cross, Derman said yes, Pistorius had the option to walk away from the threat and out the bedroom, and said yes just like he walked to brush his teeth.

Oldwage asked would this have to be outside of the fight or flight response though? Derman answered yes.

So, the defences expert on fight or flight says Pistorius had the option and opportunity to act outside of the flight or fight response.

Court's done. And if tomorrow the defence stick to it, should be the quickest session ever before court is adjourned again and closing arguments are made - which might be another month break!! :(
Speculation from Prof James Grant that Gerrie Nel may apply to reopen the State's case to address character evidence led by the Defense.

This bugs me so much - Nel is asking if OP said he heard a magazine rack, and Dr says "yes." But Nel knows very well that OP said he assumed it was the magazine rack in hindsight - at the time of the incident, he thought it was the sound of the door opening.

Is the point to get at the truth or to trick witnesses into saying things that aren't accurate but are more favorable to the state's case?

Sorry, but this really made me laugh, coming from a lawyer! :floorlaugh:

Surely a barrister's purpose is to win the case. The "truth" needn't come into it. :wink:

As they're talking about the video on oscar radio, I wish to take the time to thank all the webslueth contributors on this forum that helped get this video out into the public domain. It was a crazy night we shared together.

It looks like the judge based her decision on Dr Kortze not being a 'normal' witness (who defence are entitled to call if state doesn't).

As part of a panel of three experts asked to assess OP, she was not a normal state witness, and any info defence needed they could obtain from their own expert, Dr Fein.

BIB - She's probably mortified that the world saw her playing the role of murdered girlfriend in the re-enactment.

I'd been wondering for such a long time whether she was aware of his story pre-trial. Because of the looks on her face all the time I decided that she didn't but that Carl probably did, even if they didn't know the whole story. I must say I was really surprised when she was in the video. So if she's known all along, why on earth was she crying all the time? IMO it can only be that Nel destroyed his version so utterly and now she's really scared that he may be going to prison.

As they're talking about the video on oscar radio, I wish to take the time to thank all the webslueth contributors on this forum that helped get this video out into the public domain. It was a crazy night we shared together.

It certainly kept me up when I should have been sleeping.

Lol, it's the first time I've ever actually used my twitter account since I first made it years ago... too bad I don't know how to check my sent history, all I know is I tweeted quite a few(around 8 iirc) reporters with the initial link.

I'd been wondering for such a long time whether she was aware of his story pre-trial. Because of the looks on her face all the time I decided that she didn't but that Carl probably did, even if they didn't know the whole story. I must say I was really surprised when she was in the video. So if she's known all along, why on earth was she crying all the time? IMO it can only be that Nel destroyed his version so utterly and now she's really scared that he may be going to prison.

Or she was rightly concerned that those shots of her backside being displayed so openly would be made public? (see https://mobile.twitter.com/barrybateman/media/grid?idx=0&tid=485703150507421697 ) Not to mention that the world also now knows she stole RS's handbag from the crime scene...

This bugs me so much - Nel is asking if OP said he heard a magazine rack, and Dr says "yes." But Nel knows very well that OP said he assumed it was the magazine rack in hindsight - at the time of the incident, he thought it was the sound of the door opening.

Is the point to get at the truth or to trick witnesses into saying things that aren't accurate but are more favorable to the state's case?

Did Roux 'bug' you at all with the state witness's in the interest of balance?.

The definition of "running": IMHO

Derman is the only person who used a "technical" definition of running ( i.e., both feet off the ground), which I think is probably an important distinction in science/research.

Before he got here everyone knew what running meant when Oscar said he "ran." I humbly suggest that that common parlance use of the term "to run" is the more appropriate one to use in most general discussions about the case.

<Respectfully snipped>
Derman is like many older white male American docs I've met, worked with, been treated by, taught, etc. VERY intelligent, HUGE unchecked egos, and once they get their MD degrees think it automatically qualifies them as experts to do anything and EVERYTHING they feel like doing - without ANY additional training - from being university presidents, to lawyers, to piloting jet planes, and on and on and on. They REALLY do. It's amazing. Their hubris knows no bounds. They are "legends in their own minds."

I can't stand this guy.

Reminds me of the joke:

What's the difference between doctors and God?

God knows he's not a doctor.

Speculation from Prof James Grant that Gerrie Nel may apply to reopen the State's case to address character evidence led by the Defense.

Let's hope so. I've only just got back into trial mode!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member