Trial Discussion Thread #5 - 14.03.11-12, Day 7-8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm strongly displeased with this tactic by Roux to rattle the witness. Surely he could have asked for the journal articles before today.

Yes, one would think he knew this was coming and what exactly does he think he will find to discredit the good Dr.'s finding.......sheesh.

Adjournment for Roux to study medical articles that Saayman mentioned.

Per twitter:
There is no time set for this adjournment - we’ll break for as long as it takes Roux to study the articles

Too late for me to wait, will catch back up later.

Roux trying to argue Saayman's testimony regarding timing of Reeva's last meal inaccurate.
court now adjorned because Roux wants to study academic articles related to food digestion - how is this permitted?
Seems like Roux has not prepared enough.

Looks like three points were the main issues;

Incapacitation after head wound

Amount of urine in bladder

Time of last meal, which Prof S estimates to be 1 am

JMO, Roux knows exactly what he's doing. A specific answer is not in the articles, and Roux knows it. Saayman has been put on the defensive, and his credibility brought into question. After all, how do you prove acquired knowledge?

I'll be very surprised if Roux comes back with an article that he agrees provides an adequate explanation.

Forensic pathologist on whoopwhoop. Tried to give an interview, which had to be cut off due to a dog barking, Lol.

He's back now and saying time of last meal is not a very precise science. Time taken to digest food can depend on meds, gastric juices, type of food etc. And there is a lot of opposing literature out there.

If Roux gets into a point by point argument with Prof S, over peer reviewed literature about the subject of food digestion, he may get out of his depth and give Prof S a chance to show how much more knowledgeable he is. I hope.

If Roux gets into a point by point argument with Prof S, over peer reviewed literature about the subject of food digestion, he may get out of his depth and give Prof S a chance to show how much more knowledgeable he is. I hope.
Exactly. IMO, that's precisely why Roux chose this particular bone to pick.

You know........I don't tweet....never look at twitter really..but I am LOVING it now.

@Debora_Patta

Roux: In all fairness looked at your evidence and you were at pains to qualify gastric emptying

Saayman: Yes I tried to be balanced in my outlook - there are variations in interpretation from person to person

Roux - type of food and volume is significant right? Correct says Saayman

Roux: I never understood your evidence to be exact re gastric emptying? That's correct says Saayman

Saayman - says there is a multiplicity of ways one could do further analysis

Saayman: But whether anyone can add substantial value to the food eaten and time - I have my doubts - we can get a best estimate

Saayman: I do not consider myself as an expert in this field can only rely on my readings and years of experience in field (bbm)

Saayman refers to medical journal: "Following gastric emptying times - 1-3 hrs for light meal, 3-5 for medium, 5-8 for large..

Discussing an article to prove or disprove the veracity of Saayman's evidence that food in Reeva's system indicates she ate at 1.

Roux: Percentage of volume of meal you found? Saayman: Can't answer that!

Roux refers to an alternative article which says it's uncertain to put a time of death regarding gastric emptying

Roux reads from article which states you get great variations from meal to meal, person to person and day to day

Saayman: That's similar to what I testified
https://twitter.com/Debora_Patta

@AlexCrawford
Saayman is standing to give all his evidence. He is a very formal man and is v dogged in the defence of his assessment
https://twitter.com/AlexCrawfordSky/status/443303432192278528

:seeya: Welcome, NoisyFan! Thank you for the link.

:welcome5:

Is it? Whoop's still chatting. It's the only live feed I found that doesn't keep crashing on me though. What feed do you have?

I am reading the tweets from the courtroom....the one Bessie posted is best imo

Prof S 'There's a multiplicity of ways' to establish time eaten, could do 'microscopic analysis but he has doubts it would add much.

Prof S saying time could vary an hour by an hour either way. Prof S saying he does not consider himself an expert in this field. Just relying on 30 yrs experience.

Prof S refers to medical journal;

1-3 hrs for ave meal
3-5 for med meal
5-8 for large

Most meals would be digested in four hours. Prof saying.

Yesterday Prof S said Reeva's last meal contained vegetables and small, whitish particles that were most likely cheese. I think the cheese would take the longest to digest, being protein/fat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Onus