Trial Discussion Thread #51 - 14.11.9, Day 41 ~announcement of the verdict~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking heads here there everywhere always offer their......instant opinions. Ratings and profit don't depend on their opinions being accurate.

Well, a hard workout later and I feeling sweaty if not more calm ;)
It's quite a travesty so far, unfortunately. Those who think that any legal system is perfect or without reproach are not critically looking at judgements and results.

Posting here or anywhere, writing, advocating and petitioning is part of being present, aware and engaged citizens. The law is changing and evolving (or devolving) constantly and being conversant and also at times outraged is necessary...there are many avenues possible to make a difference around the justice system.

I posted that article previously on the SA minimum mandatory sentencing, which was only were set in place in 1998, from continued public pressure against bizarre sentences.

Anyone listening to oscar radio - they just replayed the part where Masipa said she accepted as true and reliable that Oscar thought he was shooting an intruder and did not mean to shoot Reeva

Oh, man! I don't like it AT ALL when someone absolutely gloats they were right!

Me either - especially when it concerns the outcome of a trial in the horrific death of a young woman.

I think glee at a time like this is vulgar and entirely inappropriate.

And then there are the great unwashed here, armed only with our common sense, who know this result is clearly wrong, even if perhaps technically legal.

I think it's extremely rude to assume those of us who agree with the judge's ruling have no common sense.

Also unfortunate for Masipa, she got into law with a strong motive to champion the plight of women in law, this case being revolved around a woman being killed and this ruling
really feels like a set back for her professionally and publicly.

Just saw post showing culpable homicide sentence is at the discreation of the judge. Maybe she'll redeem herself yet.

But I believe she thinks in the moment he was not intending to kill, only to shoot them. And, most importantly, she feels he did not intend to kill Reeva.

"But I believe she thinks in the moment he was not intending to kill, only to shoot them"

an outrageous statement.

can i add
... four times... and with black talon ammunition... into a small space

just to add to the ridiculous nature of that thinking.

Morning Everyone

I meant to be in court on time again but the dog forgot to set my alarm. Somewhat stunned at the reasoning in the verdict so far. Looks like I'm glad I got more beauty sleep. With this news I think it's a good time to go take a shower.

Umm, Peli, I don't think your 'beauty sleep' worked...............

Unfortunately if you listen to the lawyers discussing this you will know the highest professor in SA has actually stated she is wrong on points of law. So what next.

The highest professor? What the heck does that mean? A judge is ruling. She knows the law. Folks might not like how she's ruling but to say she is getting the law wrong is IMO rationalization at best.

this is the wrong day for a long court lunchtime... where are they?

Let me share with anyone who cares what really happened with the OJ Simpson verdict -- much discussion in this country about it, particularly among African Americans who feel/know he's guilty. Actually, blacks here don't have to talk with one about it. They "get it".

OJ was going to be found innocent before one word was spoken. It was a mostly black/minority jury and he was going to get off no matter what for a few reasons.

1. He was a hero. An early hero. Made gains for the black community and made them proud.

2. He took a lot of racist cr@p every step of the way, as all blacks here, still do. It's no longer overt, it's under the radar, now, but it's here and it's powerfully negative. I have no idea how that's ever going to change and it makes me ill. The entire power structure works against them.

3. It was payback for ALL the times, historically when blacks (then AND now!)are harassed all the time by cops and thrown into jail for trumped up charges, tortured, etc, when they are 100% innocent!!!

4. It was payback for the hundreds of lynchings and other killings that went on in this country - and still do ( Trayvon Martin, the kid in St. Louis a few weeks ago, and countless others for which there never was any justice and never will be.

5. It was for once, a situation in which blacks had the power to help one of their own (guilty or innocent) and they were damned well going to do it.

Honestly, in their shoes, I think I would have done EXACTLY the same thing. It wouldn't be "right" but neither is all the r@cist crap that has gone on in this country and STILL goes on here. It's despicable.

i don't know why I am moved to share that but there are often allusions to the "OJ Verdict." I just wanted people to know more details about why that happened the way it did. It's not at all inexplicable. Once we knew the make-up of the jury ( which we did not until the trial was over) it was clear.

Someone on whoop just said: 'I'm glad I'm not on the bench and don't have to dig myself out of this hole.'

think it was a lawyer or judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member