Trial Discussion Thread #56 - 14.15.10, Day 45 ~ sentencing~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM .. I meant to have replied to this bit .. I'm really uneasy about this group here, and I really don't think they will be doing the PT any favours by either being there or testifying for them (if that is what they are going to do) because they are nothing more than thugs themselves. Add to that people like Trish (and Sam) Taylor .. and whilst I am pretty certain that everything they have said about OP is true, they will be made mincemeat of because there are reasons why that can be done. I sincerely hope that the PT have a set of witnesses lined up where they cannot be make a complete mockery of by the DT.

I think it is good they're there.....even if they are not called to stand....if it makes OP uncomfortable can't be all bad....MOO

I'm watching the Telegraph and someone's inadvertently turned the camera on. Just saw someone with a mop walk by. Maybe going to give it OP for a bit of a practice.

But perhaps this line: first cleaning with a mop to afterwards roll out a red carpet for the VIP OP, who is going to do some ridiculous work for some hours a week.

I think it is good they're there.....even if they are not called to stand....if it makes OP uncomfortable can't be all bad....MOO

Yes, I agree .. I think I probably should've just said that I wouldn't want any of them to testify, as I don't think they will do the PT any favours, and they will be ripped to shreds by the DT.

I am quite disappointed in Nel's performance. He struggles to be succinct and keeps niggling on and on. I am sure this annoys the judge as much as it irritates me.

Someone from Correctional Services certainly, Kim Martin possibly (she seems a very strong lady). Gina Myers possibly; Trish Taylor and Jared Mortimer doubtful - Roux will put them through the mill under cross.

Wouldn't it be great if the surprise witness turned out to be....the one and only...Mr Elusive himself...

FRANK!

(I know it won't be but, oh my, that would be superb!)

BBM - you're right .. I still keep calling him 'the accused'! .. 'the convicted' doesn't sound quite right though!

It bugs me, too, that at this stage OP is referred to as "the accused". I s'pose that's how they do things in SA.

If I had my druthers, I'd prefer they refer to him as the Convicted Killer at this point - because that's exactly what he is - but Masipa, Hartzenberg, Vergeer, and Roux would undoubtedly object, as that would hurt poor, vulnerable OP's feelings and we wouldn't want him to be traumatized, now would we?

Gaaaaggg!

State consulted with Guil Yahav and Jared Mortimer over Pistorius night club incident yesterday. Not clear if they will be called @eNCAnews

Only state witness there is certainty on is correctional services official James Smalberger. @eNCAnews #OscarTrial

Reeva's close friend Gina Myers, Steenkamp family representative Kim Martens also potential state witnesses - as is Sam Taylor's mom Trish.

https://twitter.com/karynmaughan/status/522341189690077184

And he certainly made Gina Myers feel uncomfortable when he asked how she slept at night.

A little intimidation won't kill him, unlike 4 Black Talon bullets.

Sky News just said that there should be some "fascinating" witnesses for the prosecution, and hinted that some of them are very close to OP. Of course, they didn't name them.

ETA: Also, I think that witnesses who have gone to such great lengths to provide inaccurate (and incomplete) evidence for the court, should have their evidence binned. Bias has no place when deciding whether to keep the public safe, or whether to cater to the needs of a convicted killer.

And I think that witnesses who have gone to such great lengths to lie repeatedly and tailor their evidence for the court should have their evidence binned ... not mentioning names of course.

I am quite disappointed in Nel's performance. He struggles to be succinct and keeps niggling on and on. I am sure this annoys the judge as much as it irritates me.

I love his ability to spot little details that would pass everybody else by but I do think he has a problem with keeping things flowing. Roux on the other hand does keep his questioning flowing which makes it easier to follow and to understand where his questions are heading and recovers well when his train of thought has been lost. Nel stutters around a lot when his has been lost. I still adore Nel though :D

Marius du Toit ‏@mariusdutoit 2m2 minutes ago

It seems the act dealing with min sentences was amended in 2007 and culp with a gun DOES NOT carry a minimum sentence any more..#OscarTrial

I saw some posts earlier suggesting the money from Pistorius was on the proviso that the Steenkamps remained neutral. This is not what the statement said. To clarify, it was their lawyer who advised them to remain neutral.

"2. We have advised the parents to remain neutral in regard to sentence in the sense that they should not be seen to attempt to influence the sentence in any way."

http://www.algoafm.co.za/article.aspx?id=10904

BBM

Based on her past recommendations, as well as her current one, I think she has a thing for felons. It wouldn't surprise me if she makes regular visits to the prisons to visit her favorite inmates. I suspect she likes the "bad boys" and views herself as their dame in shining armor (dame being the female equivalent of a knight).

IMO, she has no business making recommendations to the High Court. She's a danger to society because she obviously doesn't make informed, intelligent recommendations that put the interests of society first. She's clearly obsessed, in my view, with making sure her bad boy crushes don't serve any time - so much so that her judgment is clouded, if not altogether absent.

She's Henzen du-Toit's new BFF.

I love his ability to spot little details that would pass everybody else by but I do think he has a problem with keeping things flowing. Roux on the other hand does keep his questioning flowing which makes it easier to follow and to understand where his questions are heading and recovers well when his train of thought has been lost. Nel stutters around a lot when his has been lost. I still adore Nel though :D

I agree he is good but he is soooo long winded. It drives me insane.

And he certainly made Gina Myers feel uncomfortable when he asked how she slept at night.

A little intimidation won't kill him, unlike 4 Black Talon bullets.

Your posts always bring it home to me just who we should be feeling sorry for :) I tend to go a bit wishy-washy or fence sit when it comes to punishment but you keep me grounded and make me realise he doesn't deserve anybody's pity.

It bugs me, too, that at this stage OP is referred to as "the accused". I s'pose that's how they do things in SA.

If I had my druthers, I'd prefer they refer to him as the Convicted Killer at this point - because that's exactly what he is - but Masipa, Hartzenberg, Vergeer, and Roux would undoubtedly object, as that would hurt poor, vulnerable OP's feelings and we wouldn't want him to be traumatized, now would we?

Gaaaaggg!

Pistorius was found guilty of the culpable homicide of Ms Steenkamp last month - but was cleared of murder.

Then he never will be a convicted "murderer/killer"? Have we to create a new term??

ETA: convicted "accident shooter"??

I have two questions:

What precedent will be set for domestic violence cases in the future?

Was the Steenkamp family's silence part of the agreement?

I don't recall, from the photos of OP's house, seeing hand rails in any of the rooms. Except for on the stairs.

Exactly, and no stool pictured in the crime scene photos in the bathroom, and all that hard flooring with the exception of the bedroom, and a two-storey house so he had to navigate stairs all the time. He's terribly disabled dontcha know.

I have two questions:

What precedent will be set for domestic violence cases in the future?

Was the Steenkamp family's silence part of the agreement?

Yes, in terms of the financial offer

"3.4 When the offer was made during March 2013, we, on behalf of the parents, thought that it would only be fair to Mr Pistorius that the public should know this. The request of Mr Pistorius, conveyed through his lawyers, however was that the matter be kept confidential. We have honoured this request"

http://www.algoafm.co.za/article.aspx?id=10904

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member