Trial Discussion Thread #57 - 14.16.10, Day 46 ~ sentencing~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do all other disabled prisoners (convicted killers) warrant as much consideration when it comes to choosing their accommodation?? You can be sure that OP's family will stay right on top of things when it comes to his care. Can't they bloody build him his own bathroom? To suggest he's not 'suitable' for prison because of his disability is just bloody ridiculous. He's a common killer, that's what he is!

it's not a bloody cruise!! maybe he will have to have a sponge bath!!

My take thus far - I think the commissioner gilded the lily somewhat and would have been better to paint a less rosy picture. Having said that, if we all know that there are less than ideal conditions in prisons worldwide then obviously so do those in the legal fraternity so again, so long as he can convince the court that Pistorius can be safely accomodated in prison then there is no justifiable reason why he cannot be sent to one.

How tacky and insensitive that a defense lawyer or whoever should publicly use a court to wish happy birthday to the presiding Judge which resulted in appreciative clapping and cheering in the court room. My goodness Reeva's poor family who are sitting there in grief must be absolutely disgusted with this total farce of a trial.

All that stuff about showers doors is Roux's way of playing on the subject of the possibility of OP's rape, I think. Just without actually saying it.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/gangsters-stabbings-rape-brutal-prison-4204755

Gangsters, stabbings and rape: Brutal prison life facing Oscar Pistorius

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/gangsters-stabbings-rape-brutal-prison-4204755#ixzz3GIWOcFIM
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Pretoria Central Prison - recently renamed the Kgosi Mampuru II Management Area - gained notoriety as the main site for hangings during the apartheid era.

Death row prisoners were held in a section of the prison called "The Pot" and the gallows could hang up seven men in one go.

Prisoners are said to spend up to 23 hours a day in their cramped cells, and many complain they are attacked by gang members who threaten them with rape or try to extort them for protection money.

The Judicial Inspectorate of Prisons recently revealed that South African prison gangs are using HIV infection as punishment, ordering gang members carrying the AIDS virus to rape disobedient inmates in a ritual known as "slow puncture".

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/gangsters-stabbings-rape-brutal-prison-4204755#ixzz3GIWiFSER
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

How tacky, unprofessional and insensitive that a defense lawyer should publicly use a court to wish happy birthday to the presiding Judge which resulted in appreciative clapping and cheering in the court room. My goodness Reeva's poor family who are sitting there in grief must be absolutely disgusted with this total farce of a trial.

Actually it was Nel and i was surprised too, both by it and the reaction. At least they didn't all launch into a rousing version of 'for she's a jolly good fellow'. I mean, this is a court of law and they are all adults.

I actually think Judge M is going to allow OP community service. I also think Dewani (who is likely to be found guilty, imo) is then going to use OP's sentence as grounds for an appeal himself - that he is too mentally disabled to stay in prison.

It's just a thought.

Roux wants to know how many single cells there are. He wants an early adjournment to give him the opportunity to get that information. I'm pretty sure he knows the answer but he wants to catch him out.

Roux wants to know how many single cells there are. He wants an early adjournment to give him the opportunity to get that information. I'm pretty sure he knows the answer but he wants to catch him out.

Maybe, Roux should start negotiating and get it in writing that the precious OP will have a private cell, his own bath in a room with a door, regular conjugal visits and a diet of his choice which includes prime meats, delicious fruits and vegetables washed down with a pricey wine of his liking, some of which provided by Uncle A. OP will be a king among men, and I have no doubt he will make friends in no time.

I defy anyone that believes that OP will be mistreated in jail or not have his needs met. OP will be closely monitored for his short stay, we have no worries about that, and amazingly, I think he will gain respect, not lose it.

I hope JMasipa does the math and sentences OP to prison, home detention is an inadequate punishment for what he's done. KM made a lot of sense when she said OP is being enabled and the repercussions on society as a whole. JMO

Actually it was Nel and i was surprised too, both by it and the reaction. At least they didn't all launch into a rousing version of 'for she's a jolly good fellow'. I mean, this is a court of law and they are all adults.

Giving Roux credit for it shows who is on her mind.

It could be seen as insensitive, but, in Nel's Defence, I feel it's just human nature to look for some light relief amongst all the misery.

David Dadic ‏@DavidDadic 16m16 minutes ago
Roux doing his best to get OP into the hospital section in the case of a prion sentence. It's obviously a concern that he may be sent.

BTW, DD replied to my email re Carl P's tasteless re-tweet so when I replied to say thanks I told him I follow the trial here and took the liberty of quoting your oh so spot on 'broken tiles and doors' comment jay-jay.

There's a man on whoop saying he was in prison for three years in SA and nothing happened to him. Says he's an elderly guy, and that each morning prisoners were given aform to fill out any complaints.......in fact, what he is saying now, I think it may have been 7 years. he talks to kids now, about why they shouldn't go to prison. Wrote a paper : 'It ain't no holiday' and says prison is 'what you make of it'.

Either he has already read my email and 'stolen' your funny comment jay-jay or you and David Dadic are black humour soulmates:

David Dadic @DavidDadic · 4m 4 minutes ago
Given the evidence in this trial, it's quite ironic that we are now dealing with broken doors and floors.

It could be seen as insensitive, but, in Nel's Defence, I feel it's just human nature to look for some light relief amongst all the misery.

Yes and I don't want to seem too po-faced but it still seems a bit out of place in a court of law IMO.

Ha! Speaker on whoop (who is not some anon person, is a well-known speaker on subject, I just didn't catch name) just said, ' If Oscar wants to help children, they can always take them to the prison. If you've dome the crime, you must do the time'. he says they regularly take kids to prison as it scares the c*** out of them and discourages them from crime.

Back.

How tacky and insensitive that a defense lawyer or whoever should publicly use a court to wish happy birthday to the presiding Judge which resulted in appreciative clapping and cheering in the court room. My goodness Reeva's poor family who are sitting there in grief must be absolutely disgusted with this total farce of a trial.

It was the prosecuting attorney who publicly used the court to wish happy birthday to the presiding judge

Much as I would dearly love to see the lying killer suffer, I think it has to be correct that he be put in the hospital unit.

The punishment is going to prison, not what happens to you while you are there, so as long as he loses his freedom and has to do what he's told for a substantial number of years then I think justice will be served for Reeva.

I genuinely dread to think what will happen if he escapes with a non custodial sentence. SA will be (understandably) outraged and his life will probably be under threat...imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper