Trial Discussion Thread #57 - 14.16.10, Day 46 ~ sentencing~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So angry the states sentencing phase was deliberately hijacked by Aimee Pistorius. AP was the instigator in this whole farce........................

Barry Bateman @barrybateman · 3 hrs 3 hours ago
#OscarTrial Aimee’s concern with Schultz sitting on the bench is that it may create the impression that “they’re associated with us”.

Barry Bateman @barrybateman · 48 mins 48 minutes ago
#OscarTrial Pistorius has entered the dock. Walked past Mortimer without hassle

Barry Bateman @barrybateman · 46 mins 46 minutes ago
#OscarTrial Pistorius having a good laugh with Roux. Things don’t seem too serious.

Barry Bateman @barrybateman · 37 mins 37 minutes ago
#OscarTrial counsel is in chambers - possibly discussing the incident before the adjournment.

Barry Bateman @barrybateman · 36 mins 36 minutes ago
#OscarTrial the Pistorius family has apparently asked Roux to take up the matter and have Schultz and crew booted from court.

BBM -But how do we know for sure that Nel was going to bring any more witnesses anyway? It's only been speculation. I think Nel got it spot on just having Kim and the 'prison guy' on .. there was nothing else that needed to be said, and he must've already known that putting Sam/Trish Taylor would not go down at all well and may have had no intention of putting either on the stand.

But how do we know for sure that Nel was going to bring any more witnesses anyway? It's only been speculation. I think Nel got it spot on just having Kim and the 'prison guy' on .. there was nothing else that needed to be said, and he must've already known that putting Sam/Trish Taylor would not go down at all well and may have had no intention of putting either on the stand.

This is true.

But no impact statement from the Steenkamps? Or do you think Nel will incorporate it in his closing arguments, would that even be allowable. :thinking:

So angry the states sentencing phase was deliberately hijacked by Aimee Pistorius. AP was the instigator in this whole farce........................

~rsbm~

Apologies, I see what you mean now .. you mean she's taken the focus off of all that has gone before over the past couple of days ( i.e. Nel's two excellent witnesses).

This is true.

But no impact statement from the Steenkamps? Or do you think Nel will incorporate it in his closing arguments, would that even be allowable. :thinking:

Good point. I wonder what happened to it? I think it should have been said at this bit of the sentencing rather than during closing but we'll have to defer to anybody with knowledge of SA law to see where it should have gone into the record.

This is true.

I think that the victim impact statement would form part of a different stage of the sentencing, not this bit, so yes probably incorporated into his closing argument or read out just prior to that.

Judge reprimanding Roux for the way he objected to Nel before lunch. Has to withdraw and apologise.

And Nel has no more witnesses!

And that is probably the stiffest penalty she will give out on this trial. She had to clear up the record.

.. unless Kim's testimony was considered as the impact statement .. or do we know for a fact that June has written something to be read out in court?

BBM -But how do we know for sure that Nel was going to bring any more witnesses anyway? It's only been speculation. I think Nel got it spot on just having Kim and the 'prison guy' on .. there was nothing else that needed to be said, and he must've already known that putting Sam/Trish Taylor would not go down at all well and may have had no intention of putting either on the stand.

It was tweeted by Reeva's brother that Trish Taylor was the next witness just prior to the farce of AP. The cast of others sitting around the Steenkamps were all seen conversing outside the court on ENCA, all but Trish Taylor. Batchelor & Schultz told reporters they were there to support Mortimer, why would that be if he wasn't going to testify as well.

On that whoop whoop radio before they finished for the day the host was talking about the public perception if he is not given a custodial sentence and also about the precedence it will set and in addition the flood of appeals likely from other prisoners if he is not given time because of disability, threat of disease etc. This makes me think that Roux will downplay that aspect and go more for the remorseful broken man and terrible accident angles.

I just hope that Nel manages to channel his anger and frustration into a great HOA that makes it very clear that a crime such as OP's cannot be punished just by house arrest and a bit of community service. I'm also starting to be more hopeful that prison time will be an aspect of his sentence. Not a lot I don't think, but even a few years would be unacceptable to him which may in turn turn into an appeal which could backfire big time on him.

PS They are also going to be discussing some open letter to OP from a disabled group. Very critical of him apparantly.

He just can't help himself can he. Still he oughta know that - shame he also doesn't seem to know the meaning of 'irony' or even how to spell 'fleas'.

RT @carlpistorius: "If you lie with dogs, you get flees." - Anon

~rsbm~

Apologies, I see what you mean now .. you mean she's taken the focus off of all that has gone before over the past couple of days ( i.e. Nel's two excellent witnesses).
She has hijacked Nel's whole case, it doesn'tmake the prosecution look good especially as it appears it was brought to the attention of Masipa in chambers. I agree Roux would have gone to town on the others but that was Nel's decision not the DT's, they had him cornered.

.. unless Kim's testimony was considered as the impact statement .. or do we know for a fact that June has written something to be read out in court?

It was published earlier that she's written something which Nel will read out. I'm now expecting it in Nel's closing.

Didn't Kim say that June & Barry asked her to be Reeva's voice.

He just can't help himself can he. Still he oughta know that - shame he also doesn't seem to know the meaning of 'irony' or even how to spell 'fleas'.

RT @carlpistorius: "If you lie with dogs, you get flees." - Anon

Hmm. And what do you get if you lie with Oscar, Carl? Shot in the head, that's what. I'd rather have the fleas, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper