Trial Discussion Thread #57 - 14.16.10, Day 46 ~ sentencing~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM -But how do we know for sure that Nel was going to bring any more witnesses anyway? It's only been speculation. I think Nel got it spot on just having Kim and the 'prison guy' on .. there was nothing else that needed to be said, and he must've already known that putting Sam/Trish Taylor would not go down at all well and may have had no intention of putting either on the stand.

I agree. The media feeding frenzy of speculation around the Taylors, or even the Meyers or any others like those in the pub being called as State witnesses was just another case of scandalmongering by the press that will stoop as low as it gets to attract readers, viewers, book buyers or whatever.

IMO, if after Kim Martin's thoughtful, measured, and extremely poignant testimony Nel had called Sam and her mother, (imo two harpies from an excerpt of the book published online), it would have been grossly disrespectful to Reeva and her family, especially to Kim, June and Barry, and a really huge huge mistake on Nel's behalf.

Thankfully he is much more intelligent than that and I don't believe he ever planned to call any of them.

So it's over.
I'm betting on Arnold's estate arrest and counselling.

I really, really, hope Carl Pistorius carries on tweeting. The world is watching, and with every tweet, thinking; this is the family that Oscar's from. Bwahahaha.

ETA: That bwahah is something Carl tweeted earlier about witnesses.

So it's over.
I'm not so sure. Perhaps if Nel highlights OP's dangerous and reckless behaviour leading up to the killing, Masipa might feel a spell in a hospital wing (and some anger management classes) might be good for him. I would hope the anger management classes are mandatory. He has a history of bad behaviour and anger issues. No way would Uncle Arnold make him take them if he were to get house arrest.

I suspect it is attention seeking behaviour. Who on earth would cry, even if someone had sworn at them which apparently Schulz didn't. One might have got a little angry. Aimee seemed to dislike the fact that Schultz et al might be associated with them as they were sitting on the Pistorius Bench. Interesting A thinks the P's were allocated a Bench for them alone - not sure she is correct there.

ap reacts first, and gets quite animated. from 2:26:20, [link is cued]:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9qMlRVyLKH4#t=8782

shultz sits down around 2:23:20
carl arrived about 2:21:00

They’ve just said on the radio the Pistorius family were extremely concerned about Aimee’s safety today. Seriously?

She (allegedly) told Schultz that he and his mate couldn’t sit on "their side" of the court and apparently he responded by saying "f*uck you". That’s all :)

Why would you approach him if you can handle a response?

Mikey now being interviewed by all major radio stations in SA - what a comedy. He’ll be on 702 "just before 17.00" :)

I'm not so sure. Perhaps if Nel highlights OP's dangerous and reckless behaviour leading up to the killing, Masipa might feel a spell in a hospital wing (and some anger management classes) might be good for him. I would hope the anger management classes are mandatory. He has a history of bad behaviour and anger issues. No way would Uncle Arnold make him take them if he were to get house arrest.

I hope you're right but Masipa wouldn't even commit him for psychological testing after hearing the evidence of his behavior. She didn't want to punish him twice. I sure agree with you on the anger management!

I agree. The media feeding frenzy of speculation around the Taylors, or even the Meyers or any others like those in the pub being called as State witnesses was just another case of scandalmongering by the press that will stoop as low as it gets to attract readers, viewers, book buyers or whatever.

IMO, if after Kim Martin's thoughtful, measured, and extremely poignant testimony Nel had called Sam and her mother, (imo two harpies from an excerpt of the book published online), it would have been grossly disrespectful to Reeva and her family, especially to Kim, June and Barry, and a really huge huge mistake on Nel's behalf.

Thankfully he is much more intelligent than that and I don't believe he ever planned to call any of them.

I would characterise Pistorius supporters, and those who tweet and support the increasingly troublesome Pistorius family as "harpies."

Actually, no, "harpies" is a sexist term...I would just question their intelligence for revering a homicidal man.

Add: I haven't read Trish Taylor's book but I am exceptionally happy that it revealed Pistorius' whining emotion-clouded 6page spiel about how how self destructive he feels and how much he adores Jenna Edkins aka the women he called before he killed Steekmap: "Baby shoes"

Now that was amazingly revealing.

They’ve just said on the radio the Pistorius family were extremely concerned about Aimee’s safety today. Seriously?

She (allegedly) told Schultz that he and his mate couldn’t sit on "their side" of the court and apparently he responded by saying "f*uck you". That’s all :)

Why would you approach him if you can handle a response?

Mikey now being interviewed by all major radio stations in SA - what a comedy. He’ll be on 702 "just before 17.00" :)

This is really quite ridiculous. What's he gonna do in the middle of a courtroom to make them concerned about her safety? Sounds like she acted like a bit of a haughty princess and, if he did mouth anything, got promptly told where to go. Not nice but hardly something to leave you distraught. Maybe Masipa's final questions re imprisonment had gotten her a tad over sensitive.

Some guy who works for the disabled people in SA has written an open letter to Oscar saying that Oscar has never done anything for the disabled in SA as he has always focused only on his own career and didn’t want to be seen as disabled.

And now the disabled people in SA want Oscar to go to a "normal jail" and promote the case for the disabled there.

I don’t have a link - will try and find one. It was on 702 Radio.

So it's over.

I’ve got my bet on the appeal. The more I read what the legal experts say the more I believe Masipa’s verdict won’t be able to stand.

from the judgement:

"Another question is:
- Why the accused fired not one, one shot but four shots, before he
ran back to the bedroom to try to find the deceased.
These questions shall unfortunately remain a matter of conjecture.
What is not conjecture, however, is that the accused armed himself with
a loaded firearm when, on his own version, he suspected that an
intruder might be coming in through the bathroom window. He was not
truthful when asked about his intentions that morning, as he armed
himself with a lethal weapon. The accused was clearly not candid with
the court when he said that he had no intention to shoot at anyone, as
he had a loaded firearm in his hand, ready to shoot."

in a general point, the judge excused 'untruthfulness' being a direct sign of guilt, but has recorded here that op was not 'truthful' - on a major direct point.
is perjury a crime in sa?

ap reacts first, and gets quite animated. from 2:26:20, [link is cued]:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9qMlRVyLKH4#t=8782

shultz sits down around 2:23:20
carl arrived about 2:21:00

I thought the judge smirking with regard Roux's comment quite rude and disrespectful to Nel. She's been biased against Nel and in favour of Roux, who has always been extremely obsequious to her, since the start it appears to me.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

"I’m very fearful of the accused. I have tried very hard to put him out of my mind. We’ve even made a point of not mentioning his name in my house, because I didn’t want to spend any energy thinking about him.

This is not easy for me … I really believe Mr Pistorius needs to pay for what he has done. My family are not people who are seeking revenge. We just feel that to take someone’s life … needs sufficient punishment.

"I was very worried when I was under the belief that prison conditions would be bad for prison. When I discovered that his rehabilitation process in the prison would be humane … I feel Mr Pistorius needs to pay for what he’s done … to my family but also what he’s done to his family

We need a message to society that you can’t do this
."

Such a fantastic testimony from this very strong woman, Kim. However, under cross examination when she said "I do not wish this for anybody", I saw Masipa quickly making note of that. I am afraid Masipa is going to ignore what was said above, and just focus on her saying she did not wish [inhumane conditions] on anybody. Very sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech