Trial Discussion Thread #57 - 14.16.10, Day 46 ~ sentencing~

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How is speculating that some people may take the stand "scandalmongering"? And, if you remember, Nel himself said he'd bring 3/4 witnesses....but actually brought only two.

And I agree with K.T. If anyone are "harpies" it's the increasing deluded, rather ignorant people who continue to try and take this killer's side wherever they possibly can
Agreed. Also, I don't see how it would have been "grossly disrespectful" to Reeva's family to have either Sam or her mother give testimony. In fact, didn't Trish Taylor hug June Steenkamp? Sam Taylor was all too aware of OP's nasty temper, a temper that Reeva was aware of too, so it seems highly unlikely that Reeva's family would have thought it was "grossly disrespectful" for them to confirm OP's long-term anger issues.

Ha ha - When just asked if he said anything to her, Schultz said 'No, I never said anything'. 'Why would she lie' he was asked'. 'I don't know. It must run in the Pistorius family genes. Just like Oscar lying about shooting Reeva accidentally. We all know that's a load of crap'.

Ooh - are you listening Aika? The announcer wasn't expecting that question and answer eh.

Well, he does appear to say something to her .. at least he definitely mouths '**ck you' to her in the youtube video posted upthread .. you can quite clearly see him do that.

I reckon! Maybe Aimee Pistorius wasn't lying. Still I believe him that they act like they own the court room and I also think they are just over-reacting to a minor incident for their own self-interests.

If you watch the clip on #567 she is the one getting agitated & causing the disruption in the court. She is also too far away from them & blocked by others to have been able to lip read anything. I say she's a drama queen.

If he ever gets that far, I imagine he will not be using a prison mattress and bedding. Uncle P will see to that. Nice new mattress and bedclothes, clean prison gear (if he is made to use it) every day, private doctor on call, only 7 prisoners in a 22 bed unit. No doubt meals will be especially brought in by the family. I cannot help thinking there might be a file in a cake - only joking! Of course, he will be allowed a computer on which to watch *advertiser censored* and a phone to ring his friends and enough booze to keep him happy.

This is a video of the Waterkloof murderers partying inside prison. I have no idea what they are saying but they look and sound happy enough. The confines are not exactly celubrious but they were meant to be paying a penance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3zUaJTJtbU

I can't believe they were only sentenced to 12 years (before parole) for beating a homeless man to death. I know nothing about the case other than what I just read but if it was just for the 'fun' of it, then it should have been a throw away the key situation and not even bother looking for it for at least 30 years. Life is just too cheap.

Karyn Maughan ‏@karynmaughan

Important clarification: it wasn't Mikey Schultz who swore at Aimee Pistorius. Allegedly Schultz's friend Mark Strydom did so

.. just seen this .. oh, I see .. I didn't know which one was which and just assumed it was Schultz who said it (whoever it was though, you can clearly see them say it in the video). Aimee was first to cause the commotion though, and as such, milady should've reprimanded her.

Exactly.

And I would be amazed if Trish and June hadn't talked outside of court, so nothing she would say would come as a surprise.

How on earth could it possibly be considered "disrespectful" to get people up to talk about the character of the man who killed their daughter?

One thing I do agree with....Nel is a very, very intelligent man. Intelligent enough that he has managed to make sure the world knows exactly what Pistorius did that night, regardless of Masipa's judgement. It's a shame that some people are not quite intelligent enough to understand that - hence the fevered Twitter warriors making fools of themselves.

EDIT: Why am I the only person who keeps accidentally pressing "reply" instead of "reply with quote"???? I am driving myself mad doing it!

This was to Soozie.

Thanks lithgowI, I love Nel but I think this should have been said in private . I really don't think that clapping and cheering at a serious trial such as this where a young woman has been brutally killed is appropriate.

I agree. What I heard is that Nel said he was chosen to be the one to congratulate in the name of all. Still, I would agree Nel could've refused to play that role, of course.

I can't believe they were only sentenced to 12 years (before parole) for beating a homeless man to death. I know nothing about the case other than what I just read but if it was just for the 'fun' of it, then it should have been a throw away the key situation and not even bother looking for it for at least 30 years. Life is just too cheap.

It is quite hideous isn't it and these boys are from privileged families just like the P boys.

I agree. The media feeding frenzy of speculation around the Taylors, or even the Meyers or any others like those in the pub being called as State witnesses was just another case of scandalmongering by the press that will stoop as low as it gets to attract readers, viewers, book buyers or whatever.

IMO, if after Kim Martin's thoughtful, measured, and extremely poignant testimony Nel had called Sam and her mother, (imo two harpies from an excerpt of the book published online), it would have been grossly disrespectful to Reeva and her family, especially to Kim, June and Barry, and a really huge huge mistake on Nel's behalf.

Thankfully he is much more intelligent than that and I don't believe he ever planned to call any of them.

BBM .. I disagree that it would've been disrespectful .. the only thing which bothered me about them taking the stand is that there are enough reasons for Roux to have ripped them to shreds on, and it's only for that reason that I personally am glad they did not take the stand, much as I would've loved them to have testified about Pistorius's true personality.

I really don't understand this whole quarrel about shower/bath. There's an interview with OP where he's stating that he rather taking showers than baths as it's much more comfortable for him.
Roux is making the court wasting it's time!

Besides that: I still really don't appreciate how Roux talks to witnesses. It sounds so false.
Is it me or anybody else feels similar?

I would describe his speech as condescending and at times supercilious.

Wow! Mine was a comment to the effect that a director of prisons doesn't know the difference between two very different conditions, i.e. a double amputee and a paraplegic, so what in that merited the nails coming out?

In any case what you say is absurd. It was obvious from the man's testimony that he knows of OP's disability and need for prothesis so why would Roux interrupt the court to correct his confusion of terms and show him up as ignorant. That would be disrespectful.

Fairs fair, Mr Modise corrected himself minutes later that OP has a disability and uses prosthestics, he realized what he said prior, he did not repeat his gaffe. He's far from an ignorant person and knows his stuff better than anyone in that courtroom today.

The DT witnesses were not even in the same calibre, Probation officer Annette Vergeer and Mr Maringa for example.

If you watch the clip on #567 she is the one getting agitated & causing the disruption in the court. She is also too far away from them & blocked by others to have been able to lip read anything. I say she's a drama queen.

I just watched it then and it does seem she starts to make the carry on once she notices they are there, sitting quietly. One of them does mouth something to her but there's like half a dozen people between her and them so come on ... that's threatening enough to make you 'distraught' as some journos were reporting it and your patriarch 'extremely concerned' about your safety? Not saying it's at all appropriate or that those guys aren't thugs but as per usual the Pistorii are completely over reacting IMO. Anyway, I guess that poor PR woman is typing a press release as we speak. Another one.

:laughing:

Chantal Rutter Dros ‏@ChantalRutter 32 mins32 minutes ago
On #ANN7Prime from 7-9 the latest on the #OscarTrial - gangs, gangsters and a welcoming prison DSTV 405

[QUOTE The DT witnesses were not even in the same calibre, Probation officer Annette Vergeer and Mr Maringa for example.[/QUOTE]

Was Mr Maringa the one the other day who thought the crime he was reporting on was shooting a bullet into the floor and when corrected on that had the whole judgement on CH wrong? Now that's a gaffe don't you think GBng?

Was Mr Maringa the one the other day who thought the crime he was reporting on was shooting a bullet into the floor and when corrected on that had the whole judgement on CH wrong? Now that's a gaffe don't you think GBng?

Yes that's the one. :)

things that have been highlighted this week for masipa to consider when sentencing.

sentence, for grossly negligent culpable homicide:
• should fit the crime.
•*should be a deterrent.
• should take op out of his comfort zone. [not at his new adopted 'home']

• family believe op should serve time, as long as conditions are humane.
• hospital wing of prison is humane and suitable.

• he has no money - assets sold to pay for trial.
• or income - his professional/international athletics career is effectively over, as is his income from sponsorship/endorsements.
• or alternative career options - no qualifications/work experience.
[working with children is inappropriate, and he has no experience of working with children]

• pistorius will have time to reflect on his crime, learn new work skills, and can further his education whilst in prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildandfree