Trial Discussion Thread #58 - 14.17.10, Day 47 ~ sentencing~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP testified that he doesn’t read about himself in the media, but according to Roux he does. Did we ever doubt it. I hope he and his family, Masipa and the assessors, the DT and the general public at large read this letter from the CEO of the QuadPara Association of South Africa who says OP must go to jail.

http://ewn.co.za/2014/10/17/OPINION-Ari-Seirlis-Oscar-heres-how-you-can-still-make-a-difference

Thanks very much for this link, it helps to know that the very society that OP claims to represent does not acknowledge or appreciate his backhanded nod to them, coming only now when he needs them, and in fact believes apparently quite strongly that he must atone for his misdeed before he can honorably claim to champion their cause.

Bit of an overreaction. I think the description was related to her expression, not her looks.

Exactly, soozieqtips. Expression, attitude etc. And it is the Pistorius clan who should "have some class."

OP testified that he doesn’t read about himself in the media, but according to Roux he does. Did we ever doubt it. I hope he and his family, Masipa and the assessors, the DT and the general public at large read this letter from the CEO of the QuadPara Association of South Africa who says OP must go to jail.

http://ewn.co.za/2014/10/17/OPINION-Ari-Seirlis-Oscar-heres-how-you-can-still-make-a-difference

I am SO pleased to see this open letter and firmly agree with everything he says. Thank you for posting this.

Regardless of the fact that the state did not win its case, the state still feels (like many of us) that OP committed murder. Since the court did not agree, yes, Nel had no choice but to work within the parameters of CH. But the parameters of CH include up to 15 years imprisonment.

So the point I'm trying to make is since the state feels OP should have been convicted of murder, which carries a 15 year to life sentence, I'm surprised Nel didn't respond to Masipa's question by stating unequivocally, "15 years."

Whether or not Nel or anyone else thinks Masipa would ever sentence OP the maximum allowable (or any prison term at all) is irrelevant. I just feel that since the state believes OP committed an offense that should've landed him in prison for a minimum of 15 years, that Nel should have requested the court sentence him the maximum prison term that the lesser charge of CH allows - 15 years.

I agree and was also surprised that Nel didn't ask for the full 15 years . I hope Judge Greenland gives his take on this .
You would have to wonder what you would have to do to get the maximum sentence How much more negligent could someone be ? Shoot without a door being between them ?in which case unless there was only one shot you would have to feel it was definitely murder so not CH at all .
Reeva was killed ,he shot four times ,he is an experienced gun user,had full knowledge of the law and the type of damage his bullets could do as well as having the clear presence of mind to note that a ricocheted shot could have hurt him .
Nel and a great number of the worlds population feel he is guilty of murder and has IMO been very lucky only being found guilty of CH therefore you would have put money on the fact that the PT would go for maximum sentence .
Anyone else any thoughts on this ?

Not impressed with 'Behind the door' so far. And I'm only on about page 5. It reads like a cheap, sleazy, thriller. Some of the language is gratuitous and voyeuristic. For example:

"Her legs are splayed, revealing the cursive ‘Lioness’ tattoo on her left ankle and the shimmering pink polish on her toes...

"Her right eye is bruised grey over the lid, reminiscent of the smoky eye shadow she was painted with for model shoots..."

"The rim of her nostril is bright red and a thick line runs at a 90- degree angle across to her left cheekbone, as if it has been drawn across her face with a stick of lipstick gone awry..."

Ugh. Horrible writing style.

Not impressed with 'Behind the door' so far. And I'm only on about page 5. It reads like a cheap, sleazy, thriller. Some of the language is gratuitous and voyeuristic. For example:

"Her legs are splayed, revealing the cursive ‘Lioness’ tattoo on her left ankle and the shimmering pink polish on her toes...

"Her right eye is bruised grey over the lid, reminiscent of the smoky eye shadow she was painted with for model shoots..."

"The rim of her nostril is bright red and a thick line runs at a 90- degree angle across to her left cheekbone, as if it has been drawn across her face with a stick of lipstick gone awry..."

Thanks
Definitely won't be buying this book .

http://www.theweek.co.uk/world-news...why-wasnt-oscar-pistorius-convicted-of-murder

Why wasn't Oscar Pistorius convicted of murder?
After a six-month trial, Oscar Pistorius is cleared of murder but convicted of culpable homicide.
Fri 12 Sep 2014
... "Masipa then turned to the lesser charge of murder. She said there was "no doubt" that when Pistorius fired shots at the door he "acted unlawfully"...

http://espn.go.com/olympics/trackan...75/final-arguments-oscar-pistorius-sentencing
Prosecutor: Pistorius' Negligence Borders On Intent
During final arguments in Oscar Pistorius' sentencing hearing ... Roux said there was also "no conscious unlawfulness" from Pistorius.

Contradiction?

I think there was probably a grain of truth in there somewhere. My feeling is that the fees in this case are monumental and I'd be very surprised indeed if they weren't negotiated - I'm not sure about the procedure in S Africa, but, in the UK, Counsel's clerk negotiates the brief fee with Counsel's instructing solicitor.

As the trial dragged on, Roux may have felt obliged to charge less than his normal daily rate because the costs were already astronomical.

I may be wrong, but I have a feeling that Roux couldn't resist letting the world know today that he's not presently charging full whack, which, although it may be true, is not to say that he hasn't done tremendously well out of this trial.

Imo, in this case it was uncalled for, this is the type of comment made during divorce/custody battles, not when the accused has taken a life.

I do hope that someone has printed this out and sent this to Pistorius. Every avenue should be pursued to ensure that he reads it.

I feel no sorrow for OPs' financial state of affairs. How he/Roux can claim he deserves to be treated differently from other killers because he has lost everything, I fail to understand. If he had done the right thing at the beginning and admitted he killed Reeva after a blazing row this farce would have been over in a few weeks. His sentence would almost definitely have been one of CH and for being honest and repentant he probably would have been given, IMO, a ridiculously short sentence. The court always looks favourably on the accused if they are ready to admit their guilt but, no, OP can be seen to do no wrong and so he builds a tissue of lies to conceal the killing and in the process loses friends, respect, credibility and paupers himself to boot. Tough!

Family tensions in the mansion maybe?

Carl Pistorius @carlpistorius · 12h 12 hours ago
"Whoever does not have a good father should procure one." - Nietzsche
#theFatherheartofGod

I do hope that someone has printed this out and sent this to Pistorius. Every avenue should be pursued to ensure that he reads it.

send it to him when he goes to prison - he may be welcoming mail then

Family tensions in the mansion maybe?

Carl Pistorius @carlpistorius · 12h 12 hours ago
"Whoever does not have a good father should procure one." - Nietzsche
#theFatherheartofGod

what on earth does he think he's achieving with these ridiculous tweets?

Even if he gets a jail sentence, he'll still be free for a couple of years while awaiting appeal. That's plenty of time for him to flee somewhere. I would at least hope Masipa adds some more stringent rules to his bail conditions, like NO alcohol, NO clubbing, and NO international travel.

Good Lord! What dramatic drivel. Reads like a dime store novel.

Imo, in this case it was uncalled for, this is the type of comment made during divorce/custody battles, not when the accused has taken a life.

Well despite having pretty much been so disgusted with the events in the SA courthouse...I have looked at comments here and seen bits and pieces of this sentencing farce...and conclude same as PrimeSuspect above...most everything I have heard seems inappropriate for the trial and in questioning Kim Martin Nel seems to be hammering home how dependent her parents were on her for their expenses....and the stuff about prisons not being good enough...well the handwriting is on the screen (wall) as to what will happen Tues. ..and unless I am seeing really wrong it seems like Uncle Arnold is texting and paying little attention to anything about Reeva...surprise...surprise...time for Judge Masipa to retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member