Trial Discussion weekend Thread #24

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect Oscar is going to have to get used to some people treating him 'unkindly'.. its kinda what happens when you murder someone..

James, if you read my long post further up the page, the writer (a defense attorney) points out some of the inconsistencies which Nel has highlighted.

The interplay between the Judge and OP—when he was tired

On the surface it might look merely like a matter of sympathy.
In all likelihood, both Nel (who backs off when Oscar gets stressed for the same reason) and the Judge want to obviate the “tired, stressed, disabled man” excuse for Appeals. So the judge actually asked him something like, ”Are you tired, Mr Pistorius which is causing you to make mistakes? Do you wish to stop now because you are tired?”

And then OP—because he has been told that this can be grounds for Appeal—does not really answer. He merely states that he wants to go on.

Then it goes to the next logical level, and the Judge now knows that OP has likely been told this could be grounds for Appeal—“the badgered, tired, disabled man”— and she is more determined to call for a break to again obviate a basis for [successful] Appeals.

Above JMOOC

It's a good tactic, actually, because it means OP can never relax about any one part of his story... he has to hold all of his version in his head all of the time, which is stressful and makes it more likely he'll trip up.

Well, yes, I understand why he does it, but I don't think it achieves the end people think it does. Someone is most likely to let something slip when they are relaxed and at ease. When they're primed, they'll be much more careful and circumspect and if they do make mistakes those mistakes will mostly just be mistakes due to poor thinking rather than admissions of anything.

Like when you keep barking at someone who's driving, sooner or later they will drive badly and risk having an accident. This doesn't prove that they are bad drivers, just that your behaviour oppressed them to the point that it intefered with their ability to drive (read answer correctly) and they could no longer effectively drive.

It's the same tactic used to extract false confessions, so go figure.

Well, yes, I understand why he does it, but I don't think it achieves the end people think it does. Someone is most likely to let something slip when they are relaxed and at ease. When they're primed, they'll be much more careful and circumspect and if they do make mistakes those mistakes will be mostly just be mistakes because rather than admissions of anything.

Like when you keep barking at someone who's driving, sooner or later they will drive badly and risk having an accident. This doesn't prove that they are bad drivers, just that your behaviour oppressed them to the point that it intefered with their ability to drive (read answer correctly) and they could no longer effectively drive.

no one was barking at Oscar when he made his bail statement and his trial statement, yet that has , obviously , resulted in false statements..

I don't follow your logic, on that basis..

James, if you read my long post further up the page, the writer (a defense attorney) points out some of the inconsistencies which Nel has highlighted.

Great points in that post!

I agree that Oscar isn't doing well on the stand at all, and there is probably even worse to come.

But, imo, the State still hasn't proved premeditated murder beyond reasonable doubt.

At this point, I somehow see the judge giving him culpable homicide, but with a harsh sentence (definitely not suspended sentence, even though CH charge allows it)

But we'll see, there is still a lot ahead of us.

Although we may never know for sure what really happened that night :(

I do, in fact, bark at people who drive badly. this always results in them lifting their game and driving in a sane manner..

Oscar is testifying.. and testifying badly.. if he didn't expect barks, he shouldn't have taken the stand and his attorney should have prepared him more thoroughly..

Having said that, I believe his attorney has done the very best preparation he could , considering the pile of nonsense he has had to deal with.

That's almost laughable that Van Staden's saying he concentrated on evidence that could be moved -- as if none of it was moved before he photographed it :rolleyes:

We'll never know for sure how much of it was done by OP and his friends and family either.

Did anyone figure out just who all had arrived prior to when the first police officer arrived and tried to contain the area(not withstanding the self described "family friend" police officer and his associates who also appeared)?

You were right. I skipped over it, but "I'll get to it" ;-) as soon as I have time. :-)

There are things about that night that Oscar will take to his grave.. no one will ever know the whole story. ... it is the way of murder.. the murderer owns those hours between his victim and himself... because one is dead, the other one can weave any damn story they want to.

Well, yes, I understand why he does it, but I don't think it achieves the end people think it does. Someone is most likely to let something slip when they are relaxed and at ease. When they're primed, they'll be much more careful and circumspect and if they do make mistakes those mistakes will mostly just be mistakes due to poor thinking rather than admissions of anything.

You're discounting OP's whole persona, that of an olympic athlete who performs his best when under pressure... ie. he's the bullet in the chamber
It's been when he's not being pushed to become confrontational that he is reduced to a blubbering mess.

It is an aberration to 'feel at ease' as the accused in the witness stand..

I do, in fact, bark at people who drive badly. this always results in them lifting their game and driving in a sane manner..

Well of course everyone reacts differently as I know people who do the opposite, and actually here you're proving my point. Because if barking at people makes them better able to think, then they are going to think themselves better out of tricky situations. Exactly what you don't want.

Oscar is testifying.. and testifying badly..

With that I agree, but not because he's guilty but because the methods of the prosecutor is making him answer poorly.

Re disposing of body (bags, rope...), I can't understand OP's 911/netcare call. Maybe just completely panicked w/no plan.

MOO

Do we actually have proof that he spoke during that call or was it the same as the one he made to security? Have there been any recordings of the Netcare call? I know that here in the UK and in the US I guess, there are usually recordings played after these such tragedies.

Well of course everyone reacts differently as I know people who do the opposite, and actually here you're proving my point. Because if barking at people makes them better able to think, then they are going to think themselves better out of tricky situations. Exactly what you don't want.

With that I agree, but not because he's guilty but because the methods of the prosecutor is making him answer poorly.

James... what tricky situation could a not guilty person be in ??

James, you can feel what you like. The truth is that Nel is a top prosecutor who has won international awards for his previous prosecutions and he is held in extremely high regard. Aggressiveness forms part of his style, as does sarcasm, used to highlight inconsistencies in OP's story. As other posters have said, this is how the law works, this is the harsh reality of what the inside of a courtroom is really like, and you cannot accuse Nel of bullying when his job is to get the truth out of a witness who is prepared to lie, and who has been extensively coached on his "story" by his defense team.
He sounds alot like Juan Martinez, who prosecuted Jodi Arias and won her conviction. People called him an over-the-top bulldog, but his style is effective!

oh Oscar is soaked in remorse.. remorse isn't his problem at all.

Tom Meserau is an excellent attorney during cross examination. He wins through the force of his arguments, not by resort to repetitive questioning and mere statements. That's what I call a brilliant attorney.

I've enjoyed both Roux and Nel... both competent and astute Barristers, both faced with a very difficult case.. both wanting entirely different outcomes.. one has a murdering fool for a client and the other has a murdering fool as a perpetrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kat kruck