1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 Cup chopped tomato
Juice of 2 large fresh limes plus a little lime zest
1 cup ketchup ( I know!)
s***-ton of chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons Mexican hot sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and black pepper

Mix all together , cover and chill for 1 hour.
Garnish with fresh slices of avocado
Serve with tortilla chips

Tip don't add the avocados until you serve.
Also, I serve this in a margarita glass and it's cute!

Does anyone know how to make brisket??

Here's how I do mine Horace, but I like the BBQ.

4 pounds lean beef brisket
2 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
1 tablespoon onion salt
1 tablespoon garlic salt

The juice from a fresh squuezed lemon
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
salt and pepper to taste

Pour liquid smoke over brisket. Rub with onion salt and garlic salt. Roll brisket in foil and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Place brisket in a large roasting pan. Cover and bake for 5 to 6 hours. Remove from oven, cool, and then slice. Put slices back into pan.
In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, ketchup, butter, water, celery salt, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and pepper and lemon juice. Stir, and cook until boiling.
Pour sauce over meat slices in pan. Cover and bake for 1 more hour.

It's actually better in a crock pot.

Horace...I make mine the same way Tulessa does, but I don't use liquid smoke, and in the crock pot I add a shot of vodka to help tenderize the meat. I cook mine about 6 hours in crockpot.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD

South west crock pot ribs

1 to 2 lbs country style pork ribs

1 yellow or white onion (sliced thick)

1 green bell pepper (sliced medium)

1/2 poblano pepper diced including seeds for spice lovers (optional)

8 to 16 ounces Fresh salsa Depends on how many you are serving. For 2 use 8 oz
It has to be fresh salsa or don't bother making the recipe!

Fresh salsa can be found in the produce section of all major grocery chains.

1/2 or 1 can ranch style beans depending again on servings. Black beans can be substituted.

1 to 2 cups white rice

Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 4 to 6 hrs
Can be prepped night before.

Brown meat in heavy fry pan (reduces the fat)

1) Put ribs in crock pot

2) Add salsa and beans

3) Top with onions and peppers, cover and cook 4 hrs high or 6 hrs low

I season with garlic salt and black pepper (optional)

4) GO WATCH TRIAL

Serve over white rice and we always have a nice green salad to go with.

Hubby likes kernel corn with this dish also.

Easy peasy, enjoy!

Note: I've also made this recipe and worked over 8 hrs to come home and its just as good.

Horace...I make mine the same way Tulessa does, but I don't use liquid smoke, and in the crock pot I add a shot of vodka to help tenderize the meat. I cook mine about 6 hours in crockpot.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD

I am very picky about my BBQ sauce, and liquid smoke is a must. I used to make my BBQ sauce for the local country restaurant here in our tiny town. My son and I worked on it until we had it just right. He loves to cook as well, and is an excellent cook. All my brothers cook,and one of my brothers makes the best jams and jellies you could ever eat. :)

South west crock pot ribs

1 to 2 lbs country style pork ribs

1 yellow or white onion (sliced thick)

1 green bell pepper (sliced medium)

1/2 poblano pepper diced including seeds for spice lovers (optional)

8 to 16 ounces Fresh salsa Depends on how many you are serving. For 2 use 8 oz
It has to be fresh salsa or don't bother making the recipe!

Fresh salsa can be found in the produce section of all major grocery chains.

1/2 or 1 can ranch style beans depending again on servings. Black beans can be substituted.

1 to 2 cups white rice

Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 4 to 6 hrs
Can be prepped night before.

Brown meat in heavy fry pan (reduces the fat)

1) Put ribs in crock pot

2) Add salsa and beans

3) Top with onions and peppers, cover and cook 4 hrs high or 6 hrs low

I season with garlic salt and black pepper (optional)

4) GO WATCH TRIAL

Serve over white rice and we always have a nice green salad to go with.

Hubby likes kernel corn with this dish also.

Easy peasy, enjoy!

Note: I've also made this recipe and worked over 8 hrs to come home and its just as good.

Yummmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gonna try this!

Tequila Lime Chicken

Ingredients
4 limes
1 cup tequila
1/4 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt
5 cloves garlic
1 jalapeno, sliced
1/2 bunch chopped fresh cilantro
12 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups grated Monterey Jack

Options for servings:
Corn tortillas
Flour tortillas
Grated Monterey Jack
Pico de gallo
Jalapeno slices
Lime wedges
Avocado slices
Sour cream
Directions
Slice open the limes and squeeze the juice into a food processor or blender. Add the tequila, olive oil, salt, garlic, jalapenos and cilantro. Blend the mixture until totally combined. Add the chicken to a large plastic bag and pour in the lime-tequila mixture. Seal the bag and marinate in the fridge for several hours or overnight.

Cook on grill or oven 350 degrees ...grill about 5 min per side . Oven 350 till it is done. Top with monterey jack cheese. Allow to melt.

Banana Quesadilla

Ingredients

2 (10-inch) flour tortillas
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 medium banana, thinly sliced
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar, plus more for top
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Vanilla ice cream, optional
Caramel sauce, optional

Directions
Preheat pan to medium-high heat.

Brush 1 side of a tortilla with some melted butter. Place the tortilla on the skillet buttered-side down. Arrange the banana slices on the tortilla and top evenly with the chocolate chips. Sprinkle with the brown sugar and cinnamon. Place the remaining tortilla on top to cover the bananas. Brush with more butter and sprinkle some brown sugar on top. Grill until the chocolate is melted and the bananas are soft, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Cut into wedges and serve with ice cream and caramel sauce, if desired. Serve immediately

Shrimp (lemon-garlic) pasta

serves 2

12 large-jumbo shrimp (deveined, peeled) - reserve (keep cold)
1 egg white - whisked until very, very foamy
1 cup panko
2 T. AP flour
1/8 cup fresh, grated parmesan cheese
1 T cajun seasoning (I use Slap ya Mama - HOT) use what you got
Toss dry ingredients together

Sauce:
1 egg yolk
2-3 T lemon juice (juice of one lemon - add more or less to taste)
2-4 cloves of garlic (pressed) depends on how much you like garlic!!
1 stick of unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
1 t. cajun seasoning (see above)
Chives, fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)

Pasta:
angel hair or any long pasta for 2 - cooked to desired doneness. Keep warm.

Shrimp:
Place shrimp in whisked egg whites and toss with hands to coat. Toss shrimp with panko/flour/cheese mixture. Coat well. Fry in veg. oil quickly over med-hi heat until browned. Do NOT overcook. Drain on paper towels and reserve. Keep warm in oven if necessary.

Sauce:
place egg yolk, lemon juice, cajun seasoning and pressed garlic in a 1 1/2 qt. sauce pan. Heat on med-low until just warm. Add butter, one piece at a time, until each piece is just melted and sauce is thickened and very warm. Taste and adjust for seasoning.

Place pasta on plates. Divide shrimp on top of pasta. Dress each plate of pasta/shrimp with 1/2 the sauce and add garnish.

Enjoy!! An old family favorite.

spicy crockpot coconut chicken wings
2lbs chicken wings
1/2 coconut cream (not oil)
1 tsp tabasco sauce
1 tbsp cider vinegar
2 crushed or minced garlic cloves
1 tsp paprika
1 lemon, cut into wedges
sea salt and pepper to taste

Season wings with salt and pepper. In a bowl mix together the coconut cream, tabasco sauce, vinegar, garlic, and paprika to make a smooth paste. Add the chicken wings to the mix and make sure the wings are completely covered. Place the meat mixture into crockpot and leave to cook on high for 3-4 hours or low 5-6 hours or until the chicken is cooked through. Serve with lemon wedges. Serves 4-6.

I changed it up a tad....I used a small bit of smoked paprika (not a whole tsp), and instead of tabasco I used http://www.mayakaimal.com/prod-ss-spicyketchup#.UZbt8rXOmTN
402102.jpg

and
coconut_butter.jpg
http://artisanafoods.com/products/coconut-butter

KZ’s Insanely Easy, Busy “Trial Day” Crockpot Stroganoff Meatballs & sides

Prep: *5-10 min if you hurry; 15- 20 min if you are slow! ;)

Crockpot Cook: High 4-6 hours; low 6-8ish hours

Ingredients:

Bag of frozen homestyle, fully cooked meatballs (NOT Italian meatballs; no need to thaw)
1 can Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup (low fat or low sodium is fine)
1 can Campbell’s Golden Mushroom Soup
½ envelope or so of dry onion soup mix (I like beefy onion) + extra garlic powder and black pepper if desired (OR ½ to one can Campbell’s French Onion soup, undiluted)
Sliced fresh mushrooms to taste or canned mushrooms, drained
Thinly sliced onions if you like them
Bag of Medium egg noodles.
About 8 oz of sour cream (lower fat ok, but fat free doesn’t melt well, imo)
Bag-O-Salad plus the dressing of your choice.
Crusty French bread is a plus!
Put a nice can of peaches in the fridge to chill (Bonus "trial gourmet" points if you add a few fresh raspberries to the servings of chilled canned peaches!)

On a trial break early in the day:
Line crockpot with crockpot liner bag for easy clean up (so you can watch the evening HLN trial shows later.) Fill pasta pot with water and a tsp or so of salt. Sit pot on stove to turn on later near dinner. Whisk 2 soups with dry soup (or some undiluted canned onion soup) in a separate bowl—do not dilute further. Layer frozen meatballs in crockpot with spoons of soup mixture, sliced mushrooms, and sliced onions if using. Make sure crockpot is on, and go back to watching trial, and commenting on Websleuths. DO NOT stir or remove crockpot lid for at least 2-3 hours. Don’t worry—it’s all good in there. It’s not too dry. The meatballs will contribute moisture to the sauce mixture in a little while. Let the crockpot do its thing for several hours on high, or a few more on low. *If you are REALLY busy, assemble crockpot the night before and store in fridge overnight. Take out and turn on low in the morning.

A half hour before dinner, dash to the kitchen and turn on the pasta water to boil. Turn on oven to 300ish to warm French bread. Boil and drain pasta. When pasta is done, turn off the crockpot and remove the lid, stirring about ½ cup to one cup sour cream into the meatball and sauce mixture. (Do not let sauce boil after sour cream added.) Throw bread in oven for 5- 10 min. Open peaches and put in nice individual side bowls. Dump Bag-O-Salad in nice serving bowl. Serve hot meatballs over pasta, with crusty bread and Bag-O-Salad. When your family says it's all delicious, act humble, as if you slaved over this meal all day. Gently task spouse or kids with clean up. Sure to become a family favorite, *especially* if you have kids! Reheats in microwave very well! **Bonus factor-- the house smells like you have been cooking all day! :)

KZ’s Insanely Easy, Busy “Trial Day” Crockpot Hot Meatball Subs & sides

Prep: 5-10 min (15 to 20 min if you are slow)
Crockpot cook: 4-6 hours on high; 6-8 hours + on low (great potluck offering!)

Ingredients:

Bag of frozen, cooked Italian meatballs (no need to thaw)
Large jar of Spaghetti sauce, flavor of choice
Small tub or bag of shredded parmesan, parmigianno reggianno, romano, asiago, or blend
Small (2 cup) bag of shredded mozzarella (or Italian blend) cheese
Hoagie buns, or brat buns, or “long” buns of choice
Steamer bag of peas for microwave (keep in freezer till 10 min before dinner)
Fruit of choice (if busy, a nice choice is a large can of refrigerator- chilled mandarin oranges, drained before serving. Extra bonus "trial gourmet" points if you add fresh sliced bananas to servings!)

Line crockpot with disposable crockpot liner, so you can clean up faster to watch evening trial coverage. Layer frozen meatballs with blobs of sauce, and cheeses until crockpot full or you have as much as you want. Turn on crockpot, and do not stir or open lid for several hours while cooking on low or high. Meatballs will contribute moisture to the sauce as they heat. Go back to watching trial and commenting on Websleuths! ;)

15 min before dinner, open fruit can, drain, and add sliced bananas into either individual servings or a serving bowl. Steam Bag-O-Peas in microwave 5- 10 min, then put in serving bowl. Ask spouse or kids to set table. Serve hot meatballs on hoagie or long buns (buttered and oven toasted = extra "trial gourmet" points!). Add extra cheese or veggies to individual subs, if desired. Another easy family favorite, *especially* if you have kids! ** House smells like you have been cooking all day! ;)

KZ’s Insanely Easy, “Busy Trial Day” Crockpot Sweet and Sour Meatballs & Sides

Prep: *15- 20 min; 30 min if you chop veggies slowly!

Crockpot cook: 4-6 hours on low; 6-8 hours+ on high

Ingredients:

Bag of frozen, precooked Homestyle or Wild Rice meatballs
One bottle of Kikkoman’s Sweet and Sour Sauce
Small can of pineapple chunks or tidbits (drained)
Small can of sliced water chestnuts (drained)
Sliced fresh carrots, or a handful of fresh baby carrots
Onion or 2, cut into chunks
Green and/ or red sweet pepper, cut in 1” chunks
Rice of choice (quick cook, rice cooker, or microwave)
Prepared dessert of choice! (This meal has carbs, veggies, meat, and fruit included!)
** Bonus “Trial Gourmet” points if you have fortune cookies and disposable chopsticks at the table! Double "Trial Gourmet" points if you sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on each serving, lol!

Line crockpot with disposable crockpot liner for easy cleanup, so you can watch trial coverage in the evening. Layer frozen meatballs in crockpot with drained pineapple, drained water chestnut slices, carrots, peppers, and onions in crockpot. Pour sweet and sour sauce over all. Meatballs will contribute moisture as they cook, so trust that it is not too dry! Turn on, and do not stir or open lid for several hours, or all day. Trust that the crockpot will do its thing and cook the stuff!

Cook rice according to instructions about 30- 60 min before dinner. Serve sweet and sour meatballs over rice. Family favorite, especially if you have kids! Task spouse and/ or kids with clean up so you can catch up on trial coverage and Websleuths! ;)

Fried Okra Salad

1 large bag frozen okra, fried crispy (you can use fresh okra in season!)
6 slices crispy bacon, crumbled
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
Mix these together

Boil
1/8 cup vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil

Boil together til sugar melts, then boil a couple more minutes
Let this cool then pour over okra salad just before serving

Fried Okra Salad

1 large bag frozen okra, fried crispy (you can use fresh okra in season!)
6 slices crispy bacon, crumbled
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
Mix these together

Boil
1/8 cup vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil

Boil together til sugar melts, then boil a couple more minutes
Let this cool then pour over okra salad just before serving

Thanks so much for this recipe - can't wait to try it!

Now I'll check out the other recipes here, they all look SO GOOD!

Easy Vegetarian Chili
Yield: Serves 6
This vegetarian chili is easy to make and will warm you up on a cold day! It freezes well too, so double the batch and save some for later!

ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, diced, seeds removed
3 (15 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
2 (15 oz.) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
4 cups water
1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
Salt and pepper, to taste

directions:
1. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until light brown, about 2-3 minutes. Add carrot, celery, peppers, and jalapeno. Cook for five minutes, or until vegetables are soft.

2. Stir in diced tomatoes, beans, and water. Season chili with cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Stir and let chili simmer for 30 minutes. Stir chili frequently so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. Serve hot.

*Note-serve with chips or cornbread, if desired. This chili also freezes beautifully

Corn Bread Pudding Casserole

Cornbread mix (this makes four cups. You will only need one):
2 cups cornmeal
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
Scant 1/2 cup organic sugar
4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients together until incorporated.

Cornbread Pudding Casserole recipe:
1 cup cornbread mix
1 15 oz can whole kernel corn, drained
1 15 oz can creamed style corn
8 oz vegan sour cream (I used Tofutti)
1 stick melted vegan butter (I used Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks)
1 tbsp non dairy milk (I used almond milk)
4 serrano chili peppers or other hot pepper, minced
1/2 sweet red pepper, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
Paprika for sprinkling on top

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl mix all ingredients except paprika together. Place into a greased 9x13 casserole dish. Sprinkle lightly with paprika. Bake for one hour. I have also made this is my crockpot!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back