Trial - Ross Harris #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched their hearing with the judge on this 3D scan and I thought the DT sounded petty with their arguments against this new revised, improved scan. As the State explained, the scan was revised because of questions put forth in cross about the measurements etc. So they decided to redo that one scan and make sure it is exact.

So the DT then says it is unfair because ' we already planned out or cross examinations based upon the original scan and now they want to change it.' Seriously? I think they DT sounded silly with their feigned outrage over the State trying to make a scan more accurate.

Honestly, I don't think the defense has any need to feign their outrage. I'm impressed they can carry on without kicking the podium when they're up on cross , or being told novel interpretations of hearsay by Staley, or when listening to Staley breezily dismiss a potential Brady violation ;)

I just wonder if the other 40 or so parents whose kids die in their car each year (I'm assuming 40 is just the fatalities) had absolutely NO cue to remind them of their child. No pictures, thoughts, conversations, etc?

In FBS people create a false memory so when these reminders come up they are not troubled since they "remember" taking the baby wherever they are supposed to be. The problem with people not working harder to see they don't forget, as in putting your purse or phone in the back, is that nobody thinks it could happen to them, only to other "bad parents." The article in the Washington Post (I believe) explains it so much better than I can.

I absolutely believe in FBS. I just don't think that explains how Cooper died.

I watched their hearing with the judge on this 3D scan and I thought the DT sounded petty with their arguments against this new revised, improved scan. As the State explained, the scan was revised because of questions put forth in cross about the measurements etc. So they decided to redo that one scan and make sure it is exact.

So the DT then says it is unfair because ' we already planned out or cross examinations based upon the original scan and now they want to change it.' Seriously? I think they DT sounded silly with their feigned outrage over the State trying to make a scan more accurate.

Katydid, respectfully,would you not expect the State to have realized the measurements were off? They didn't and the Witness didn't. As a big deal as the car seat is in this case they should know everything about that from every which way. Point is State should have had it accurate to begin with.

Interesting to me that 2 demonstrative aides used, the hot car witness and this 3D witness this is both of their first criminal trial to present their wares. JMHO

That will only work assuming you don't want your kid to die. Every action has a consequence so if that is not a deterrent in itself nothing else will be. I was in Texas this summer and all over the State were nothing but large flashing hot car warnings... Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio, and everywhere in between. I havent been to Georgia lately but I am betting they do too.

The problem is that people don't believe it will happen to them.

Obviously the term "malicious intent" is something a Georgia LEO would be familiar with but maybe not to someone with an Alabama LE connection.

Did RH really say "malicious intent"? I'm not so sure. JMO

I suppose we will never know for sure!

My point was just that I found the witness to be credible and based on the video that followed what the witness heard - it made sense to me that he would have said that. It fit, so to speak, with the rest of what he was saying to Stoddard.
If the video began and showed RH in disbelief protesting "I could never hurt my baby on purpose" or something along those lay mans lines I might wonder if just before then he had used the term "malicious intent". But in the video he is very calm and articulate and says things like "how is that against the law" when told his baby died in his car and I do believe he used the word malicious in that video as well. Something like "I didn't do it maliciously" (?) I would have to re watch.

We will just have to agree to disagree as well [emoji4]. There will be those who think the witness was telling the truth and those who don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, I don't think the defense has any need to feign their outrage. I'm impressed they can carry on without kicking the podium when they're up on cross , or being told novel interpretations of hearsay by Staley, or when listening to Staley breezily dismiss a potential Brady violation ;)

But why would they be outraged that the State wanted to revise and improve the 3D scan? Isn't that what they originally complained about?

I'm tuning out testimony right now, so thanks. I had the gist of what was manipulated and by whom, I just don't understand how (or believe?) the State didn't catch this until trial. Are you saying LE didn't communicate with the DA about these manipulations, and the State accepted them at face value?

lol go back and watch Grimstead testimony on Cross. He seemed truly caught off guard. In the photos you can see the tilt changed. When Lumpkin gave him photo of 6/18/14 and 7/2/14 and asked what different, he said handle up and evid tag on :)

The problem is that people don't believe it will happen to them.

But Ross and his wife both seemed to worry it might happen to them. I find that very strange that it was their biggest fear and yet he did nothing to prevent it from happening. Even though 2 weeks earlier he posted how it'd be so 'horrible if my son was in that hot car. '

So now the State wants to enter into evidence a new scan with the proper measurements, and the DT tries to block it. Does that make sense? Why wouldn't they want an accurate 3D scan ?

Why wouldn't the State have wanted the correct measurements to begin with? They had the same info as the Def did prior, before even the Def did. Why wait til after testimony in court to change?

Katydid, respectfully,would you not expect the State to have realized the measurements were off? They didn't and the Witness didn't. As a big deal as the car seat is in this case they should know everything about that from every which way. Point is State should have had it accurate to begin with.

Interesting to me that 2 demonstrative aides used, the hot car witness and this 3D witness this is both of their first criminal trial to present their wares. JMHO

Of course they should have. But now they did when it was pointed out in cross so they want to fix their scan. Why should the DT block the correct scan from being shown in the trial?

I'm tuning out testimony right now, so thanks. I had the gist of what was manipulated and by whom, I just don't understand how (or believe?) the State didn't catch this until trial. Are you saying LE didn't communicate with the DA about these manipulations, and the State accepted them at face value?

OMG, just realized what you said and meant!

Once the jury left the room for lunch:

Staley Clark then says she'll hear a defense motion. Carlos Rodriguez speaks for the defense team. The motion concerns the prosecution's plan to use 3D computer animation of Harris's SUV. The prosecution's Jesse Evans argues that the judge has already ruled on most of the issues connected to the animation, but Rodriguez strongly disputes that.

Rodriguez notes that the 3D animation in question was a second (or later) iteration that was made after the trial had begun.

Evan says the rescan was of the interior of the vehicle and the changes from the first iteration were "negligible." And he notes that Staley Clark has already signed off on use of the animation.

Staley Clark says additional testimony from the police about why the scan was redone is necessary. She then asks for argument on the question of when the new evidence was handed over.

Rodriguez: "This was based on how the trial ... it was apparently brought to the attention of the state through cross-examination of the state's witness that they had not accurately measured the distance between the car seat" and another point in the vehicle.

"They should be stuck with that," Rodriguez says, and not be permitted to make up for the mistake after the trial begins. He notes that the state was required to turn over evidence at least 10 days before trial, absent a specific exemption from the judge.
"This was not done," Rodriguez says.

Prosecutor Evans cites several examples of case law in which evidence was introduced after the start of a trial.

Rodriguez says the prosecution asserted that the scans were 100 percent accurate as presented to the defense before the trial. He asks whether the animation is now more than 100 percent accurate.

"There hasn't been a single witness to testify to the recreation that you're going to see," he says.

Staley Clark says, "Trials are not static by nature. They're dynamic by nature." She rules that there was no discovery violation. "Defense motion 29 is denied in that regard," she says. But she relents on the defense suggestion that the prosecution must call a witness to explain the new animation scan, admonishing that she wants that testimony and the questions surrounding it to be very narrowly focused.

She then asks the parties about her "charge" regarding where Harris's SUV will be placed outside the courthouse and how the jury will be permitted to view it tomorrow morning. The prosecution says it's acceptable. The defense says it needs further refinement, specifically, regarding the distance from which the jury may view the vehicle and the length of time the display will take.

Staley Clark tells the parties to work out those issues among themselves and suggests that they get to it right away.

The six attorneys, three for each side, now stand in a tight circle and confer quietly.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/minute-minute-the-justin-ross-harris-trial-oct/zCtR2UTSpDjvLHUznmDZ7H/

Why wouldn't the State have wanted the correct measurements to begin with? They had the same info as the Def did prior, before even the Def did. Why wait til after testimony in court to change?

Because the 'expert' they hired messed up big time. So now that it has been shown during cross that he made mistakes, they are attempting to fix them in their upcoming 3D scans.

Are you saying that if someone makes an error that they should just keep it in the rest of the trial, without revising and fixing the upcoming 3D scans?

But why would they be outraged that the State wanted to revise and improve the 3D scan? Isn't that what they originally complained about?

Getting their Motion on the record and denial is one reason.

Are they on lunch break of done for the day or what?

Because the 'expert' they hired messed up big time. So now that it has been shown during cross that he made mistakes, they are attempting to fix them in their upcoming 3D scans.

Are you saying that if someone makes an error that they should just keep it in the rest of the trial, without revising and fixing the upcoming 3D scans?

Umm the Expert has testified that he got all information from Det Phil Stoddard.

Are they on lunch break of done for the day or what?

They were hashing out over the car IIRC then Lunch. Grimstead, is suppose to be on the stand after lunch unless something changed. I messed Stoddard coming back after break and prior to Raisse. What happened? TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ewreckk35