TRIAL Week One - Ross Harris 3 October 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good! I would add that State objected to Def referring to the report. Again audio going in and out on link I was listening to. State stated Foundation? and Def Relevance. **Could have those backwards* Def told judge that would like to speak with her at the end of the day. She said ok. That when they spoke about the New Law. Def said this was a game changer. That when the Judge said no mistrial as you stated above.

Judge said both sides can research and stronly will revisit on Monday. Witness can be brought back. Judge said something about Immediacy and right after lunch on Monday? LOL State said will allow it in but doesn't see reason to bring witness back. LOL JMHO If it was me, (as Def) I would want the Witness back on stand. Also when the Def asked about not putting the F you comment not in report, Def was asking about the video and transcript. And about the other witnesses testimony State objected stating hearsay. Judge Sustained that.

Especially after the State said in front of the jury on RE Direct State asked the witness Officer Brett Gillimore if he listen to video prior to coming in today. Asked was he making stuff up. Are you lying to the Jury?
Def Objected and Judge sustained.

State said that the Defense was trying to call the witness a liar without calling him liar.

Def Objected again and the Judge told them she thinks they need to move on... Witness excused and jury excused then that after court hearing.
Now the jury will be out until Monday. So just adding it to evidence may not mean much.

(I def would want him back on stand especially if that other Det is going to be impeached also. Piper gave some odd testimony jmho )

BBM The fact that the judge did not take this situation seriously was very concerning. The Prosecutor accused the Defense of saying the officer was lying and this was done in front of the jury. That is the job of the Defense to take the original statements and make sure they are consistent with testimony during the trial. "Let's move on" is not an appropriate response to the objection. This judge needs to take this case seriously or she might cause the case to be appealed.

BBM The fact that the judge did not take this situation seriously was very concerning. The Prosecutor accused the Defense of saying the officer was lying and this was done in front of the jury. That is the job of the Defense to take the original statements and make sure they are consistent with testimony during the trial. "Let's move on" is not an appropriate response to the objection. This judge needs to take this case seriously or she might cause the case to be appealed.

I think Staley is taking everything about the trial seriously, but it's been clear from the beginning, IMO, that she's sympathetic to the State. No judge wants or seeks to be overturned on appeal, and she's competent enough to not blatantly abuse her discretion, but I'm sure the defense is quite aware she'll rule against them in gray areas where she's called upon to exercise that discretion.

She would not even have granted a change in venue had it not been so crystal clear it was going to be impossible to seat an untainted jury in Cobb County.

I think that the phone records show this was the 6 minute call to Little Aprons. However, no one at Little Aprons acknowledges talking to Ross, and there was no message. There is entire thread dedicated to this mysterious call.

What's Little Aprons? I'm from the East Coast so i'm not familiar with that. Goes to show he's on the phone for 6 whole minutes while his baby is lying dead on the ground. Vermin.

You ruined it. :gaah::tantrum:

The testimony from this morning is so dry. Only about 50 minutes left.

You bring up a very good point about Cooper's school bag. Regardless of whether or not the Cars backpack is actually Cooper's school bag, doesn't he have a daily bag that he brings with him each day? I would assume that it includes clean diapers, a water bottle, a change of clothes, etc. Where was that bag, or did Cooper keep all of those things at school? If Cooper has a bag, was it not in the car by Ross's briefcase? I had not previously thought of that.

I will let you know.... they are just starting to go through the pictures of the Harris's home.

ETA - The witness stated that it was "a Cars backpack, a children's bag." He made no mention of it being a school bag. It is right around minute 102 in the second WAT morning video from today's testimony.

They are across the street but catty-corner from one another. The only thing between the two locations (as the crow flies) is an overpass of a highway, I-285. The Home Depot's HQ buildings are visible from the front door of CFA, and because of their height, they are hard to miss. In fact, the HQ buildings would have been extremely visible to Harris as he approached the intersection.

Nothing was testified to about the significance of the backpack hanging up at home, if it had any significance at all.

I doubt Cooper took a backpack daily to daycare, though. My DS didn't even in pre-K. Parents were responsible for bringing in a change of clothes, emergency diapers (if not yet 100% potty trained), and other what nots on Mondays, and for clearing out their kid's cubicles on Friday (art projects, papers, etc).

The full and large backpack was far more likely to be a packed and ready weekly bag than anything Cooper or a parent would be responsible for hauling back and forth daily.

What's Little Aprons? I'm from the East Coast so i'm not familiar with that. Goes to show he's on the phone for 6 whole minutes while his baby is lying dead on the ground. Vermin.

Little Aprons is the daycare center.

That whole interaction was a huge cluster-you-know-what. Boring was crossing lines he knew he shouldn't cross and making speaking objections and arguments in front of the jury. This judge is very pro-prosecution and gives the latitude that the defense would never dream of taking.

By not sustaining the defense objection about the state bolstering the witness testimony, the state was emboldened and continued to make improper arguments in front of the jury. The judge painted her own self in a corner because she didn't rein Boring in when she should have.

On TOP of that the State objected to the admission of the police report as hearsay - thus preventing the defense from having any opportunity to impeach the witness with his prior statements.

I understand why he asked for a mistrial at that time to preserve the error for appeal (if needed). The judge screwed up and wasn't really paying attention to the law. I think she kind of caught herself in the end when she sort of backtracked and asked for research and further argument.

Thanks for this explanation. I was astonished she allowed Boring to say what he did in the jury's presence, including that the defense was "saying without saying it directly that this witness is lying."

It seems kinda early in trial for counsel to attack opposing counsel personally, lol, but on the other hand, Boring has displayed this kind of nasty unprofessionalism before. Maybe it's just his style. If so, we're likely to see more of it, since Staley quite literally doesn't seem to find it objectionable.

So I'm watching the probably cause hearing. The investigating detective is testifying. I can't remember his name.

RH arrived at CFA at 9 am. Leaves at 9:19. Was Cooper not eating? None of my 5 children would eat breakfast at 22 months in 19 minutes.

RH does not have a parking camera.

Coopers head would be visible over the top of the car seat as he was 'several inches' too big for that seat according to the requirements.

RH went for lunch from 11:30-12:30. He had only been at work for 2 hours before he was on a break. Did he want to check on Cooper to see if he was still alive?

A friend owed RH money so he paid for the cinema ticket. At 3:45 pm RH messaged friend through instant messager (internal work) to say he was running late and would be at the movie after 5 (which is when it was due to start). RH told police he has left work at 4:16 pm. He also spoke to his wife at approx 4pm.

Daycare told Leanna that RH never dropped Cooper off that morning. Leanna said 'he must have left Cooper in the car'.

Mother showed no reaction when told about the baby dying. She didn't ask to see Cooper. Only her husband. When she did see him she asked 'did you say too much?'

RH told wife Cooper was peaceful. Eyes and mouth closed. Said he was 'dreading seeing how he would look'.

RH said he noticed Cooper on his way to the cinema. He said he looked right to change lanes and saw his head. Travelled a bit further before pulling in.

While Leanna and RH were in room together Leanna received a phone call from her mother. The mother was screaming/upset down the phone and asked Leanna why she wasn't upset. L responded that she must be in shock.

Leanna showed no emotion while she was interviewed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it common to have a life insurance policy on a child in the US? I'm in England and I don't know anyone who has life insurance on their children. RH had $25000 plus $2000 on Cooper.

I think the movies was just 10 minutes away from JH work. Why would he message his friends that he would be late to the 5:00 movie when he left at 4:15, just talked to his wife at 4:00. Did he think he'll discover Cooper and then he will bravely go to the movies... Or was timing the realization of finding Cooper with the time Leanna would be headed to Cooper.

Did we every see the video of JH opening the car door during lunch? I know the JH lawyer said in opening statement that JH did not look in, but after watching some of the trial, I realize that lawyer is pretty good at his words. The video will be very convincing. I swear I have seen it.

Is it common to have a life insurance policy on a child in the US? I'm in England and I don't know anyone who has life insurance on their children. RH had $25000 plus $2000 on Cooper.

We have a small amount. It would help with funerals if anything should every take place. Ours is pretty much an add on, doesn't cost much. I would have no need to do one for more than 5k.

Not common unless the policy is through an employer and considered a burial policy which is usually 5,000 - 10.000. However, if they had a friend or family member who sold insurance it is not uncommon for the agent to swoop in and try to sell them more insurance at the birth of a child.

Does anybody know the details of the life policies? When they were issued and if all family members had insurance through the same agent.

Cooper's daycare.

I think the movies was just 10 minutes away from JH work. Why would he message his friends that he would be late to the 5:00 movie when he left at 4:15, just talked to his wife at 4:00. Did he think he'll discover Cooper and then he will bravely go to the movies... Or was timing the realization of finding Cooper with the time Leanna would be headed to Cooper.

Did we every see the video of JH opening the car door during lunch? I know the JH lawyer said in opening statement that JH did not look in, but after watching some of the trial, I realize that lawyer is pretty good at his words. The video will be very convincing. I swear I have seen it.

I have seen the video, but I couldn't locate the link earlier this week. Ross definitely did not put his head inside the frame of the car. He was at the vehicle for only a few seconds, and I would be extremely surprised if he saw Cooper. Ross's head clearly remained above the roof of the car the entire time.

The AJC Podcast also validates Kilgore's account of the BBM.

Cooper's daycare.

I have seen the video, but I couldn't locate the link earlier this week. Ross definitely did not put his head inside the frame of the car. He was at the vehicle for only a few seconds, and I would be extremely surprised if he saw Cooper. Ross's head clearly remained above the roof of the car the entire time.

Yes, he made sure not to look into the vehicle because, I believe (MOO), at that point his co-workers took off and ruined his chance of being "shocked" in finding Cooper.

More from probable cause hearing.

RH watched Reddit videos on people who die.

Read forum on living child free life. Topics include not having children or not having more children to reduce 'bio mass'.

Searched how to survive prison.

Searched age of consent in Georgia.

When charged with child cruelty RH argued it was an accident.

When charged with felony murder he stated there was 'no malicious intent'.

Told detective he had a fear of his child dying in a car. Watched a show on tv where an advocate for the 'turn around' programme had lost a child 'like me' and RH had adopted the turn around procedure to make sure he wouldn't accidentally leave Cooper in the car.

Computer showed searches on death in hot car (animals) and told detective when he was a dispatcher in Tuscaloosa he heard of a police dog dying in 10 minutes after being left in a patrol car.

Work PC showed searches (I think this is disputed by defence) and found a video of the dangers of leaving an animal locked in a car. That opening a window makes no difference. A vet made a video where he locked himself in a hot car for 30 minutes. The video lasted 6 minutes and the vet talked about how he was really uncomfortable and wanted to get out. RH watched this video twice on 13 June 2014. 5 days before Cooper died.

Not common unless the policy is through an employer and considered a burial policy which is usually 5,000 - 10.000. However, if they had a friend or family member who sold insurance it is not uncommon for the agent to swoop in and try to sell them more insurance at the birth of a child.

Does anybody know the details of the life policies? When they were issued and if all family members had insurance through the same agent.

From what was presented at the probable cause hearing, the $2000 policy was through RH's work. I don't know about the other one.

If he said he saw him when he turned to his right to change lanes, then there is no way he didn't see him when he was backing into the parking spot. Once he died, you would assume his head would drop in the same manner it would if he somehow fell asleep in the short ride from the restaurant to work. If he could see him while checking lanes with his head presumably dropped, you would see him backing in.

If there is video of him going to his car at lunch, is there also video of him backing into work? If not, why not?

When he backed in, was he up against a wall? I wonder if the point of backing in was so that Cooper would be less visible to passerbys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro