TRIAL Week One - Ross Harris 3 October 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, LE had asked him to get off the phone to answer questions a few times and he ignored them. I can see them getting angry at his refusal (and then cussing the people who were there to help that he DIDN'T call). As others have stated, they had a suspicious scene and witnesses that initially stated he didn't help, he just got on his phone.

Exactly. How a person is "supposed" to act in a tragedy really isn't the point.

The point is that LE needed to assess the situation, figure out what happened, aid the dear child if possible, find out if anything else is going on in the car, etc.....they don't know much when they arrive at the scene. Officers need to be in control and when someone doesn't follow their directions and then swears at them, they need to address it swiftly and clearly, even if it looks unthoughtful to someone's feelings in hindsight.

FWIW, I have reacted angrily in a tragic moment and I screamed at authorities, but my screaming was "HELP!!! DO SOMETHING! HELP!!" (And they did help.)

jmo

I agree with you. I also remember that Cooper said "school" at CAF. He was anticipating the short ride to the daycare and looking forward to playing with his friends. He wouldn't fall asleep before he got there.

Another point is that the larger car seat was in Leanna's car for a family trip. They hadn't switched the seats yet. I also wonder why the belts for the seat were set at the lowest (newborn) level. Did they never change it as he grew?

So would you consider EVERY parent that left their child in their car that resulted in death to be guilty of intentional murder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't answer that because I'm sure people have left their child in the car that resulted in death and didn't mean to. However, with Ross, I believe he did it intentionally from all the evidence I've seen or heard, no excuse in my book. I'm surprised that people forget their child in the car for a great length of time. At some point I would think they would remember something isn't right. This is just me though and how I am. I'm always aware of my loved ones when they are with me. I forgot a lot of things but not the things I love. ;)

The significance I see in how LE handled Harris at the scene is that it indicates they made a very immediate presumption that he wasn't acting "normally" for the context, a presumption that seems to have been carried forward, resulting in part with Stoddard misrepresenting Harris's emotional state while in custody.

I agree with you. I also remember that Cooper said "school" at CAF. He was anticipating the short ride to the daycare and looking forward to playing with his friends. He wouldn't fall asleep before he got there.

Another point is that the larger car seat was in Leanna's car for a family trip. They hadn't switched the seats yet. I also wonder why the belts for the seat were set at the lowest (newborn) level. Did they never change it as he grew?

I agree, from personal experience its gets harder and harder to put a child that has grown in the infant settings. Plus it is painful to them.

IIRC, LE had asked him to get off the phone to answer questions a few times and he ignored them. I can see them getting angry at his refusal (and then cussing the people who were there to help that he DIDN'T call). As others have stated, they had a suspicious scene and witnesses that initially stated he didn't help, he just got on his phone.

Who was he talking to on the phone...and how long. Seconds or minutes! Thanks

I can't answer that because I'm sure people have left their child in the car that resulted in death and didn't mean to. However, with Ross, I believe he did it intentionally from all the evidence I've seen or heard, no excuse in my book. I'm surprised that people forget their child in the car for a great length of time. At some point I would think they would remember something isn't right. This is just me though and how I am. I'm always aware of my loved ones when they are with me. I forgot a lot of things but not the things I love. ;)

You are very fortunate that you always remember and never forget about the things you love. Other, equally well-meaning and good people sometimes don't. [emoji53]

I do think Ross is very selfish.

I think he is responsible for killing his child. I do not, however, think he intended to kill his child.

I think he forgot Cooper AFTER he went into his office. I think he meant to go back to the car quickly, after making an appearance at work, and bring Cooper to daycare. But he was wrapped up in his own world (which I do think revolved around his sexting) and forgot his child.

I think he is selfish, immature, and irresponsible. Sexting is only part of that. Even without sexting, I think the guy is selfish, immature, and irresponsible. I think he wanted to play all day rather than behave like a grown up.

jmopinion, you don't have to agree with it.

Did he not do a search on children being left in a car? That is strange to do a search and then it happens

Did he not do a search on children being left in a car? That is strange to do a search and then it happens

If memory serves correctly, he viewed a video about why not to leave pets in a car only days before Cooper died the same way.

The significance I see in how LE handled Harris at the scene is that it indicates they made a very immediate presumption that he wasn't acting "normally" for the context, a presumption that seems to have been carried forward, resulting in part with Stoddard misrepresenting Harris's emotional state while in custody.

What would be a better response by LE when Ross didn't get off the phone as directed by the officer and when Ross screamed an obscenity at LE? They had an emergency on their hands....what should have they have done for the immediate response other than remove an uncooperative person? Wait for him to become further agitated? They need to be in control and figure out what is happening, including communications, which includes his phone conversations.

They might have immediately assumed he was guilty....and that's rather accurate, isn't it? Whether he intended to or not, he did kill his child.

jmo

Why would Jh go to breakfast if he was running late.

My husband can back up better than me, and tries really hard to teach me to trust my mirrors and he rarely would look behind if he was backing into a parking space. Thankfully I have a back up camera now, I won't tell ya all how many bikes I have run over, kid free of course.

I think JH didn't have to look behind when he backed up. But try sitting down in a chair. And think of the height difference or the car seat and JH head, the motion you might turn to grab a coffee, or maybe a bag. You would see something in the corner of you eyes, and even without moving, you could see the small portion of the car seat. Backing into the space you would look into mirrors, moving your head and you'll see the car seat in the corner of your eyes. I think he would of remember at that moment, oops still need to drop Cooper off. But he didn't drop Cooper off.

If he was in late, maybe in a rush, why take the time to back into a space.

Exactly. How a person is "supposed" to act in a tragedy really isn't the point.

The point is that LE needed to assess the situation, figure out what happened, aid the dear child if possible, find out if anything else is going on in the car, etc.....they don't know much when they arrive at the scene. Officers need to be in control and when someone doesn't follow their directions and then swears at them, they need to address it swiftly and clearly, even if it looks unthoughtful to someone's feelings in hindsight.

FWIW, I have reacted angrily in a tragic moment and I screamed at authorities, but my screaming was "HELP!!! DO SOMETHING! HELP!!" (And they did help.)

jmo

I work in EMS and if a parent is not aiding us in rendering assistance to their child and threaten to impede our efforts, then we request LE remove them. Never had a parent refuse to get off the phone yet but thats what makes RH 'special'.

I do think Ross is very selfish.

I think he is responsible for killing his child. I do not, however, think he intended to kill his child.

I think he forgot Cooper AFTER he went into his office. I think he meant to go back to the car quickly, after making an appearance at work, and bring Cooper to daycare. But he was wrapped up in his own world (which I do think revolved around his sexting) and forgot his child.

I think he is selfish, immature, and irresponsible. Sexting is only part of that. Even without sexting, I think the guy is selfish, immature, and irresponsible. I think he wanted to play all day rather than behave like a grown up.

jmopinion, you don't have to agree with it.

Oh, I definitely share your opinion that he is selfish, grossly immature, and irresponsible. I just haven't seen any evidence yet that proves any of those things made him guilty of felony murder.

Plus he denied having called anyone, yet he was on the phone and so involved in trying to make whatever call he was making that he wouldn't give the cops his attention at all.

So curious to find out who was on the other end of the call!

My husband can back up better than me, and tries really hard to teach me to trust my mirrors and he rarely would look behind if he was backing into a parking space. Thankfully I have a back up camera now, I won't tell ya all how many bikes I have run over, kid free of course.

I think JH didn't have to look behind when he backed up. But try sitting down in a chair. And think of the height difference or the car seat and JH head, the motion you might turn to grab a coffee, or maybe a bag. You would see something in the corner of you eyes, and even without moving, you could see the small portion of the car seat. Backing into the space you would look into mirrors, moving your head and you'll see the car seat in the corner of your eyes. I think he would of remember at that moment, oops still need to drop Cooper off. But he didn't drop Cooper off.

Why stop for breakfast when he was running late? IIRC, he was in the habit of being late for work. Wasn't that one reason he was passed over for promotion? (I'm going off memory here, correct me if I'm wrong.) That wasn't unusual for him, imo.

I think Ross stopped for breakfast because he didn't make bother making breakfast at home. Simple as that - he wanted a fast-food breakfast so he stopped to get one....easier than waking up on time and making something at home for himself and his child.

JMO

Is there an assertion by Ross that that is a possible explanation for him forgetting? I did not know that, because if it was that speaks intent to me that he would say he forgot because he was late but yet stopped for breakfast. Did he skip breakfast at home because he was already late at that point? I would also like to know how often he took Cooper into Chik Fil A vs the drive thru and whether he had been fed at home or regularly was.

Is there an assertion by Ross that that is a possible explanation for him forgetting? I did not know that, because if it was that speaks intent to me that he would say he forgot because he was late but yet stopped for breakfast. I would also like to know how often he took Cooper into Chik Fil A and whether he had been fed at home or regularly was.

He took cooper to chick-fil-a "2-3 times a month".

So curious to find out who was on the other end of the call!

I think that the phone records show this was the 6 minute call to Little Aprons. However, no one at Little Aprons acknowledges talking to Ross, and there was no message. There is entire thread dedicated to this mysterious call.

What would be a better response by LE when Ross didn't get off the phone as directed by the officer and when Ross screamed an obscenity at LE? They had an emergency on their hands....what should have they have done for the immediate response other than remove an uncooperative person? Wait for him to become further agitated? They need to be in control and figure out what is happening, including communications, which includes his phone conversations.

They might have immediately assumed he was guilty....and that's rather accurate, isn't it? Whether he intended to or not, he did kill his child.

jmo

Piper wasn't the responsible officer at the scene, by her own admission. She went there to see if she could offer assistance.

How else could it have been handled? With a warning to Harris, and a removal away from his car, but still within sight of his dead son.

And no, a presumption of guilt wasn't accurate at all, given they had no information at that time what the circumstances were of Cooper's death. Being guilty is a very different thing than being responsible.

He took cooper to chick-fil-a "2-3 times a month".

I remember that but how often did they go in, because if I was running late it would definitely be the drive thru.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craig21876