True Crime Movies

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Five more:

11-Shadow of a Doubt (1943-U.S-1:48) Said to be inspired by serial killer Leonard Earle Nelson

12-Murder in the Heartland (1993-U.S.-2:37) The Starkweather/Fugate murder spree

13-Psycho (1993-U.S-1960) Film inspired by Ed Gein's murders

14-Dance With a Stranger (1985-U.K.-1:41) Ruth Ellis murders David Blakely

15-An American Crime (2007-U.S.-1:38) The murder of Sylvia Likens

Only 185 left to go!

Yes, an excellent film.

66-Chicago Joe and the Show Girl (1990-U.K.-1:45) Murderers Karl Hulten and Elizabeth Jones

67-The Black Dahlia (2006-U.S.-2:01) Elizabeth Short Murder

68-Looking For Mister Goodbar (1977-U.S.-2:16) Murder of Katherine Cleary

69-The Onion Field (1979-U.S.-2:02) Policeman Ian Campbell is murdered

70-The Lodger (1944-U.S.-1:24) Jack the Ripper suspect takes a flat

Indeed!

A Is for Acid - John George Haigh, the notorious "acid bath murderer" in 1940s England 2002 TV movie starring Martin Clunes

Into the Abyss - Conversations with death row inmate Michael Perry and those affected by his crime serve as an examination of why people - and the state - kill. - Directed by Werner Herzog 2011.

See No Evil: The Moors Murders - Ian Brady and Myra Hindley murders. 2006 starring Maxine Peake.

Happy Face Killer - Serial killer Keith Jesperson murders at least eight women over a five-year span and taunts authorities with disturbing letters and scribbled confessions signed with a happy face. - 2014 TV Movie starring David Arquette

Man on a Swing - about the murder of young local schoolteacher Barbara Ann Butler in Kettering, Ohio. - 1874 starring Cliff Robertson and Joel Grey

Kill Your Darlings - about the murder of David Kammerer by Lucien Carr (one of the Beat Generation) starring Daniel Radcliffe- 2013

The Chaser (Chugyeogja) - 2008 Korean movie inspired by real-life Korean serial killer Yoo Young-chul.

Capturing the Friedmans - 2003 documentary - home movies and crime investigation about Arnold Friedman and his son David from Great Neck, Long Island convicted of multiple counts of sexual abuse of boys.

To Die For - 1995 Based on the real-life case of Pamela Smart, who seduced her 15-year old lover into murdering her husband. Starring Nicole Kidman

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - based on real-life events and murder by Jim Williams that took place in Savannah, Georgia in the 1980s. Starring Kevin Spacey and John Cusack.

Infamous - While researching his book In Cold Blood, writer Truman Capote develops a close relationship with convicted murderers Dick Hickock and Perry Smith. 2006 starring Toby Jones.

Memories of Murder - 2003 Korean movie. It is based on the true story of the country's first known serial murders, which took place between 1986 and 1991 in Hwaseong, Gyeonggi Province.

Compulsion - Two wealthy law-school students go on trial for murder in this version of the Leopold-Loeb case. 1959 starring Orson Welles and Dean Stockwell.

Rope - inspired by Leopold-Loeb case. 1948 starring James Stewart and Farley Granger. Directed by Alfred Hitchcock.

A Killing in a Small Town - based on ax murder of Betty Gore by Candy Montgomery in Wylie, Texas, 1980. Stars Barbara Hershey, 1990.

Dirty Little Secret (Jodi Arias) 2013 TV Movie - The tragic murder of Travis Alexander in 2008 and the events leading up to it.

Party Monster - the true story of Michael Alig, a Club Kid party organizer whose life was sent spiraling down when he bragged on television about killing his drug dealer and roommate. Starring Macaulay Culkin, Seth Green, 2003.

Bully (2001) - Based on a true story. Naive teenagers plot to murder one of their own, who has been too much of a bully to them. Starring Brad Renfro

I Know My First Name Is Steven (1989) - 7-year old Steven Stayner is kidnapped a few days before Christmas by Kenneth Parnell in 1972. Starring Corin Nemec

Reversal of Fortune (1990) - Wealthy Sunny von Bülow lies brain-dead, husband Claus guilty of attempted murder; but he says he's innocent and hires Alan Dershowitz for his appeal. Starring Jeremy Irons.

The Stepfather 1987 - loosely based on the John List murders. Starring Terry O'Quinn.

Bernie (2011) - True story about Bernie Tiede who confessed to the shooting of wealthy 81-year-old widow, Marjorie "Marge" Nugent, in Carthage, Texas in 1996. Starring Jack Black.

Sorry if I've mentioned a couple of the same movies, I'm going through my IMDB watched/rated movies list and going by memory which ones have been listed here already.

Movies I have yet to see -

Foxcatcher (2014) - Based on the true story of Mark Schultz, an Olympic wrestler whose relationship with mentor John du Pont and brother Dave Schultz would lead to murder. Starring Steve Carell, Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo. (really looking forward to this one)

Milk(2008) - true story of Harvey Milk, a gay activist killed by Dan White in 1978. Starring Sean Penn, Josh Brolin.

In Her Skin (2009) — An Australian drama based on the brutal murder of 15-year-old Melbourne girl Rachel Barber, who went missing on March 1, 1999

Snowtown (2011) — based on the Snowtown murders in South Australia in the 1990's.

The Face of an Angel (2014) - Both a journalist and a documentary filmmaker chase the story of a murder and its prime suspect. Based on true events with Amanda Knox. Stars Kate Beckinsale

Wife, Mother, Murder about Marie Hilley, who poisoned her family.

The Hunt for The BTK, and Feast of the Assumption about Dennis Rader

H H Holmes America"s First Serial Killer.

Kemper, serial killer Edmud Kemper

Executioners Song; Tommy Lee Jones plays Gary Gilmore.

Little Boy Blue; Danny Stuzman

and then Ann Rules books that have become movies;

Dead by Sunset about Cheryl Keaton , murdered by her ex husband

Every Breath You Take about Shelia Bellush the quad mom murdered by ex husband Allen Blackthorne

Small Sacrifices ; Diane Downs

Strange Beside Me; Ted Bundy

and movies about murders in Texas

Telling Secrets; about Joy Aylor

Dean; about Dean Corll known as the candyman and a serial killer of young men in Houston in the 1970's

Tommy Lyn Sells; about Tommy Lyn Sells

Texas Justice about Cullen Davis

Love's Deadly Triangle about David Graham and Dianne Zamora

Sworn To Vengeance based on The Lake Waco Murders.

Killing in a Small Town ; Candy Montgomery giving Betty Gore forty whacks with an axe

Deadly Medicine about Genene Jones serial baby killer

Death in Small Doses about the Nancy Lyon murder

Texas Chainsaw Massacare; lossy based on Ed Gien

Sniper; Charles Whitman and the UTA clock tower murders

The Town That Dreaded Sundown about a serial killer in Texarkana Texas in the forty

and Murder in Texas starring Andy Griffin

I forgot Gacy about John Wayne Gacy

My top 16 -

Psycho (1960)

The Chaser

Memories of Murder

The Young Poisoner's Handbook

10 Rillington Place

Frenzy

Zodiac

Shadow of a Doubt

Rope

Reversal of Fortune

Fatal Vision

Sister My Sister - the Papin sisters

Intimate Relations - based on Albert Goozee who murdered a mother and daughter.

Goodfellas

Bonnie and Clyde

Party Monster

Perfect Murder Perfect Town the JonBenet Ramsey murder

Gone in the Night, the Jaclyn Dowaliby murder

In the Line of Fire, Flashpoint, Executive Action, Interview with an Assassin, Since, Love Field, Parkland, The Trial of Harvey Lee Oswald, Ruby and Oswald, Ruby, Killing Kennedy, and JFK.

Monster; Alieen Wournos story

Deadly Whispers; about Kathy Carol Bonney murder by her father

The Burning Bed, about Francine Hughes played by Farrah Fawcett.

Bloody Wenseday, San Ysidro McDonald's massacre

Killer; A Journal of Murder about Carl Panzram

Boys don't Cry; about Brandon Teena

A woman Scorned about Betty Broderick

Bad to the Bone; about the murder of Robert O' Dubaine

Rampage, The Case of the Hillside Strangler,The Hillside Strangler; the story of Kenneth
Bianchi and Angelo Buono

Cage, The Frozen Ground, about Robert Hanson

Ng; about Charles Ng and Leonard Lake

Summer of Sam, David Berkowitz

The Baseline Killer; about Mark Goudeau

Nightstalker, Manhunt Search for the Nightstalker Richard Ramirez

The Boston Strangler ; Albert Desalvo

Bitter Blood; about cousins Susie Sharp and Frederick Robert Klenner

Normal The Dusseldorf Ripper, The Secret Killer, about Peter Kurten

100 Ghost Street, Chicago Massacre; Richard Speck

The Girl Next Door; Sylvia Marie Likens.

Bonnie and Cylde, about Bonnie Parker and Cylde Barrows

Dog Day Afternoon, about John Wojtowicz and Salvatore Naturale

Drew Peterson: Untouchable

Honor Thy Mother and Father; Lyle and Eric Menendez

I'm now reading Secrets Never Lie about Fred Tokars who had his wife killed in front of his two boys. He plays himself in " Atlanta: Devil Down In Georgia"

Respectfully snipped

I'm now reading Secrets Never Lie about Fred Tokars who had his wife killed in front of his two boys. He plays himself in " Atlanta: Devil Down In Georgia"

I've been googling a lot of these people, wow, Fred Tokars was a prosecutor and defence lawyer and very, very crooked. Would be an interesting read, how he went off the rails and had his poor wife killed.

Hi, I'm new. I'm a fan of lifetime movie network and lifetime TV. The 2 crime movies that I most remember watching are the Elizabeth Smart Story and A Killer Among Friends Starring Patty Duke.

Hi, I'm new. I'm a fan of lifetime movie network and lifetime TV. The 2 crime movies that I most remember watching are the Elizabeth Smart Story and A Killer Among Friends Starring Patty Duke.

Welcome Icegeek.

I dumped pay TV a few years back so I haven't that first one but I do remember seeing the second many years ago. It was a respectable rendition if I recall.

Hi Standreid and Sleuthers,
I watched Wolf Creek 2 - no where near as scary as the first. I was disappointed in the stupid storyline this time round. I think you'd be as well Standreid - The results weren't good at the BoxOffice so don't know if there will ever b a part 3.
Kate x :notgood::notgood:

Has anyone ever gotten any use from this site regarding true crime movies?

www.fearnet.com/

It's helped me, it helps my selection at the video shop. Love the 5 for $5 dollar deal, as most of the movies mentioned on the list are older so they fall into the weekly promo deal on offer. I bypass the comedy, romance etc and head straight to thriller/horror for my pickings. :blushing:
Kate

A Is for Acid - John George Haigh, the notorious "acid bath murderer" in 1940s England 2002 TV movie starring Martin Clunes

Into the Abyss - Conversations with death row inmate Michael Perry and those affected by his crime serve as an examination of why people - and the state - kill. - Directed by Werner Herzog 2011.

See No Evil: The Moors Murders - Ian Brady and Myra Hindley murders. 2006 starring Maxine Peake.

Happy Face Killer - Serial killer Keith Jesperson murders at least eight women over a five-year span and taunts authorities with disturbing letters and scribbled confessions signed with a happy face. - 2014 TV Movie starring David Arquette

Man on a Swing - about the murder of young local schoolteacher Barbara Ann Butler in Kettering, Ohio. - 1874 starring Cliff Robertson and Joel Grey

Kill Your Darlings - about the murder of David Kammerer by Lucien Carr (one of the Beat Generation) starring Daniel Radcliffe- 2013

The Chaser (Chugyeogja) - 2008 Korean movie inspired by real-life Korean serial killer Yoo Young-chul.

Capturing the Friedmans - 2003 documentary - home movies and crime investigation about Arnold Friedman and his son David from Great Neck, Long Island convicted of multiple counts of sexual abuse of boys.

To Die For - 1995 Based on the real-life case of Pamela Smart, who seduced her 15-year old lover into murdering her husband. Starring Nicole Kidman

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - based on real-life events and murder by Jim Williams that took place in Savannah, Georgia in the 1980s. Starring Kevin Spacey and John Cusack.

Infamous - While researching his book In Cold Blood, writer Truman Capote develops a close relationship with convicted murderers Dick Hickock and Perry Smith. 2006 starring Toby Jones.

Memories of Murder - 2003 Korean movie. It is based on the true story of the country's first known serial murders, which took place between 1986 and 1991 in Hwaseong, Gyeonggi Province.

Compulsion - Two wealthy law-school students go on trial for murder in this version of the Leopold-Loeb case. 1959 starring Orson Welles and Dean Stockwell.

Rope - inspired by Leopold-Loeb case. 1948 starring James Stewart and Farley Granger. Directed by Alfred Hitchcock.

That's a good list.
I cannot watch Nicole Kidman in any movie without thinking of her in that role, she nailed it in that performance. Do u think that closing scene was true? Where she ended up? (Don't want to spoil the ending)! She was scary.

:coldcase:

That's a good list.
I cannot watch Nicole Kidman in any movie without thinking of her in that role, she nailed it in that performance. Do u think that closing scene was true? Where she ended up? (Don't want to spoil the ending)! She was scary.

:coldcase:

If only it were true, haha, the woman it is based on, Pamela Smart is still in prison so justice was done. :)

It's helped me, it helps my selection at the video shop. Love the 5 for $5 dollar deal, as most of the movies mentioned on the list are older so they fall into the weekly promo deal on offer. I bypass the comedy, romance etc and head straight to thriller/horror for my pickings. :blushing:
Kate

Standreid I misread your question. I thought you were asking if anyone had got any use out of YOUR list on this site (not the one you provided the link for sorry). I can't read. Kate :facepalm:

Sorry if I've mentioned a couple of the same movies, I'm going through my IMDB watched/rated movies list and going by memory which ones have been listed here already.

Movies I have yet to see -

Foxcatcher (2014) - Based on the true story of Mark Schultz, an Olympic wrestler whose relationship with mentor John du Pont and brother Dave Schultz would lead to murder. Starring Steve Carell, Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo. (really looking forward to this one)

Milk(2008) - true story of Harvey Milk, a gay activist killed by Dan White in 1978. Starring Sean Penn, Josh Brolin.

In Her Skin (2009) — An Australian drama based on the brutal murder of 15-year-old Melbourne girl Rachel Barber, who went missing on March 1, 1999

Snowtown (2011) — based on the Snowtown murders in South Australia in the 1990's.

The Face of an Angel (2014) - Both a journalist and a documentary filmmaker chase the story of a murder and its prime suspect. Based on true events with Amanda Knox. Stars Kate Beckinsale

Thanks for the tip on In her Skin - I've not heard of that movie, I'm in Victoria so I know I will find it interesting (and sad) -am adding that to my list.

Snow town 2011 is horrific! I saw it when it first screened, (well most of it - had eyes covered through parts)

Two films I've watched that haven't been listed.
Pain & Gain is a 2013 American crime-comedy film. Loosely based on a story published in a 1999 series of Miami New Times articles written by Pete Collins and compiled in Collins' 2013 book Pain & Gain: This is a True Story, which details the kidnapping, extortion, torture, and murder of several victims by bodybuilders affiliated with Sun Gym.

The Night Listener is a 2006 psychological horror film. Based on Armistead Maupin's2000 bestselling novel of the same name, which was inspired by actual events in the author's life.

I don't plan on watching this.
Nobody Knows (誰も知らない Dare mo Shiranai?) is a 2004 Japanese drama film based on the 1988 event known as the "Affair of the four abandoned children of Sugamo"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back