Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could there be another meaning?

GALATA'DA BULUŞALIM" MESAJI
Sarai Sierra, 'Taylan' adlı bu kişiye, "Ben birazdan Galata Kulesi'nin karşısına gelicem, gelir misin?" mesajı geçti. Saat 11.33'te tekrar mesaj geçen Sierra, bu kez, "Ben çıkıyorum ulaşmak istersen beni telefondan ara" dedi. Saat 12.45'te, bu kez 'Taylan' adlı kullanıcı, "Ben oraya gelicem, umarım wirelessin vardır" mesajı geçti. Bilgi üzerine polis, Galata Kulesi ve çevresindeki kamera görüntülerini topladı. Polis, Sierra'nın Amerika'dayken de Taylan'la görüştüğünü de belirledi.

http://m.ensonhaber.com/haber.php?id=223581

I've been wondering this since I first saw it. Also I'm curious about what the real original message said. All reports we've seen of it are in Turkish, since I'm guessing SS didn't know Turkish the communication would have been in English.

The reports are translating the English to Turkish, and now we are translating it back again. Turkish to English is not direct translation. The verb choices can be different to convey the Sam message, as well as the construction of sentences is basically opposite. So the real words that were exchanged, if even only slightly different could hold a different meaning.

There is a new article here.
http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/gundem/22516236.asp

Basically nothing new.

It says the secret of her murder is hidden in the ipad. (I am guessing they believe she was killed by one of the guys she was speaking to)

It explains a bit that how she was found. Apparently they checked each hole. It was getting dark when she was found. They did what they can do at that time and came back in the morning. The area was protected in the meantime.
Police tried to find what she was hit by, also checked the ground for signs of blood and dragging a body. They took a lot of soil samples etc. They questioned people live around, they didn't know anything.

It says her jeans and underwear was down even though they haven't find any signs of sexual assault.

It also says what witness said does not reflect the truth as it was impossible to go there by car (didn't get this one)

Rest is talking about american media ...
Last post of the night. It sounds like the pant were loosened after death since there are no defensive wounds or sexual assault and from all accounts it seems like she wasn't promiscuous. I do think the killer took her electronics to cover his tracks. Or else why not take her gold jewelry as well. The more I read the more I think T.K is involved somehow. Wasn't he wondering why she never showed up wouldn't he have called or emailed her to ask why she blew him off? Sorry but it smells fishy?

There is a new article here.
http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/gundem/22516236.asp

Basically nothing new.

It says the secret of her murder is hidden in the ipad. (I am guessing they believe she was killed by one of the guys she was speaking to)

It explains a bit that how she was found. Apparently they checked each hole. It was getting dark when she was found. They did what they can do at that time and came back in the morning. The area was protected in the meantime.
Police tried to find what she was hit by, also checked the ground for signs of blood and dragging a body. They took a lot of soil samples etc. They questioned people live around, they didn't know anything.

It says her jeans and underwear was down even though they haven't find any signs of sexual assault.

It also says what witness said does not reflect the truth as it was impossible to go there by car (didn't get this one)

Rest is talking about american media ...

Oh great what's it saying about American media?

Btw I just looked at that map from the picture with the arrow. That's a long walk. I have trouble believing she walked that whole way and was killed there.

I haves stayed in rental apt in London and Paris so I know they can be nice. But I did extensive research. I guess we don't know how she felt about the apt other than Amsterdam guy saying he thought landlord was creepy. I'm sure she talked to her family about it but like most of this case- the authorities are keeping mum.

She probably did extensive research when choosing that apartment as well - the apartment looked fine and as far as we know, she wasn't hurt there.

He asked is she had wireless, this is very normal when youre communicating through some internet type messaging. How do I know if you are on a fixed connection or have wifi? If you're on a fixed connection, then there is no way I can communicate with you once you leave it. If you have a wireless either through your phone wifi or ipad wifi while in a foreign country, then yes I feel I could reach you when in the area I am trying to meet up with you. This is a very common thing the problem is in the US we just assume everyone can use the internet on their phone. This is NOT common while travelling or in other countries in general, not everyone has the means to do this.

She clearly had internet connection on her phone because she used SKYPE. You cant use Skype w/out an internet connection.

Btw I just looked at that map from the picture with the arrow. That's a long walk. I have trouble believing she walked that whole way and was killed there.

It was just saying that it was one of the most read storied of the day in Huffington post where also more than 3000 comments were written. And although some readers said "what was she doing alone in istanbul" many readers shared their own experience of travelling to Istanbul and not having problems.

It is long but not as long it looks. 20-30 mins from where she was last seen.

The thing I have the most trouble with is that no one remembers seeing her. Sirecki is a tourist Mecca and every shop and restaurant has one tout who's in the street and will run up to any passerby to urge them into his shop. She's a single female walking alone and yet no one sees her? Doesn't make sense. Some salesperson would have at least seen her go by. If indeed she walked through Sirecki at 1:30 pm.

I'd just like to extend my thanks to you all, those of you who fought to maintain Sarai's dignity against verbal attacks. I'd also like to thank "lavy" for his/her translations because what we were getting from Chrome and Google Translate was like interviewing a disorganized schizophrenic with ADHD and a bad speech impediment. I'd also like to thank ThinkHard for his/her amazing first (and subsequent posts) about life in Istanbul.

She clearly had internet connection on her phone because she used SKYPE. You cant use Skype w/out an internet connection.

I work in Tech, I know how all tech works, so believe me I know but thanks for putting it out there for others if they did not know. But your answer is not correct, because she also had an Ipad, and could have been using her wifi on there OR her phone. The point isn't if she did or did not have access to wifi, the point is understanding the reason why Taylan would ask the question if she had wireless. I personally believe it is an obvious question about technology and communication, I would wonder the same thing IF someone was NOT texting me, and messaging me using some form of internet technology. Basically, if they had wifi on their device OR some form of paid data network.

It was just saying that it was one of the most read storied of the day in Huffington post where also more than 3000 comments were written. And although some readers said "what was she doing alone in istanbul" many readers shared their own experience of travelling to Istanbul and not having problems.

It is long but not as long it looks. 20-30 mins from where she was last seen.

I remember taking a cab to the Serkeci ferry port from by the train station and thinking that road was longer then I thought. I'm not saying its impossible she walked there, just doesn't seem like an obvious place she would just end up at on her own. There is a lot if wall to photograph before that point.

I know there has been some discussion on when she would be arriving back in the US.

Sierra had planned to head to the Galata Bridge, a well-known tourist destination that spans the Golden Horn waterway, to take some photographs, said her mother, Betzaida Jimenez. Sierra was then supposed to begin traveling home and was scheduled to arrive in New York City on Tuesday afternoon.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Staten-Island-Woman-Sarai-Sierra-Missing-Turkey-188580261.html

Partly true and not true...she did not need internet on her phone from a carrier like at&t sprint etc she could have had a phone with no working number or data plan as long as she connected to wifi Skype would be available I used an old iPhone like this at hotspots a lot

The thing I have the most trouble with is that no one remembers seeing her. Sirecki is a tourist Mecca and every shop and restaurant has one tout who's in the street and will run up to any passerby to urge them into his shop. She's a single female walking alone and yet no one sees her? Doesn't make sense. Some salesperson would have at least seen her go by. If indeed she walked through Sirecki at 1:30 pm.

I wonder where in serkeci she was seen? Oh how that place relates to where she was found. She was kind of found in no mans land. Lots of cars driving by. But the other side of the wall is topkapi sarayi. And if I'm seeing the map right it would have been behind the buildings that house artifacts. There is a cafe just before this part. But there would have been no houses no people, as the museum can't be accessed except by the front entrance, so there would have been nothing in between topkapi and the well accept trees.

Those of you who have been to Istanbul recently, how widespread are wi-fi networks open to the public? Could Sarai have used them as she wandered through tourist areas thus not needing her turkish phone?

She's a photographer.....where is her camera?

I am trying to trace back the news about her pants were pulled down. Apparently they are around since she was found. It is mentioned at few places; but none that I would consider as credible sources. I think if it was true it would be all around by now. I am not saying its definitely not true, maybe somebody got information from a good source we can never now for sure.

I am sure now that it is in few places it will spread around but I personally would ignore this one until it is officially confirmed.

They all are :floorlaugh: I wouldn't call it tabloid maybe but not in my list of credible sources. I would recommend haberturk, cnnturk, hurriyet.

It's not as easy as that: the information was posted on hurriyet last night as well. Personally, I'm not considering it confirmed until I hear it directly from the police (chief) or from official release of the autopsy report.

From my local news:

This is the first I've seen that the landlord has an attorney. Also, interesting to note description of the area- weak lighting in the building, drug dealing not uncommon. I guess it's sounding more and more plausible that a random act is at play here. Especially if she was perceived as "wealthy", as ThinkHard eluded to.

Not totally ready to let Taylan off the hook yet... but this does provide food for thought.

I'd definitely have an attorney by now if I were the landlord. And so far, there is zero to show he had any involvement. Some guy who never met him in a city thousands of miles away thought he seemed a little sketchy -- so what? That means nothing.

I don't.

I walked further than that every day when I was visiting Istanbul.

She was adventurous and loved exploring cities and taking photos.

They have her on video doing roughly 3/4 of that walk at different points.

What's so hard to believe about her completing the last 1/4?

Why would a salesperson remember one tourist among thousands who walked by several days later?

She's on video in Sirkeci. She was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryopanda