GUILTY Turkey - Sarai Sierra, 33, NY woman murdered, Istanbul, 21 Jan 2013 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, also from the USA Today article (it's an older article, so I like to read through those from time to time to refresh the little details that were shared when she was merely "missing") is that she had not yet packed her belongings to go home.

Based on the timeline that's been put together, it's pretty well been established that she was already cutting it close, time-wise, to making her flight. I find it strange- perhaps completely irrelevant, though- that she hadn't even packed yet. When I took a 3 week trip through Europe I packed lightly, as I didn't anticipate overwhelming access to laundromats and didn't want to lug a bunch of junk from one place to the next- but still, it was a significant amount of luggage. It was a 3 week trip, after all. It probably wouldn't have taken her an inordinant amout of time to pack, but that she hadn't done it yet strikes me as strange.

As if this trip to the bridge hadn't been planned in advance. Maybe Taylan convinced her to take a spur of the moment photography jaunt or something, promising to get her back to the hostel in time to pack.

I know, I know. More speculation. I can't help it!

This is my initial post, but just wanted to thank you all for the inciteful commentary. I've been following this case almost obsessively, because the circumstances are obviously so tragic and I really feel terrible for the family and friends of Sarai.
My simplistic way of viewing things leads me to believe there are far too many "coincidences" for this to be a random attack, I don't want to belabor the point thats already made:
1. Dissapearance on the day she intended to leave
2. Interaction with Taylan prior to dissapearance
3. Missing phone/Ipad with no loss of jewelry
4. Location of the body in proximity to last sighting alive
In my humble opinion she knew her attacker (I believe there were 4 Turkish IG contacts LE originally stated) and I don't believe theft was the motive. As was stated above this may have been a crime borne of passion or jealousy or an attempted rape. Clearly she was a beautiful, charismatic, smart woman, whom by all accounts people were attracted. Perhaps someone saw themselves as a potential suitor and was rebuffed and reacted violently or conversely appeared jealous after reading about the great time she had in Amsterdam-who knows at this point. I work in the healthcare profession and the psyche of many individuals cannot be predicted with any certainty(e.g. exterminator who killed the philadelphia pediatrician because she "insulted" him). In short I think this was a spontaneous rather than premeditated act.
I hope that the DNA evidence will reveal the perpetrator and the family can take some solace in the fact that she fought back.
As a parent, I can only think of the despair her children and husband must be going through and hope at some point they can get to a place where they are able to celebrate Sarai's life and artistry.
Apologies for the rambling....

Here's the deal, though: if that's true, her flight out must have been on TUESDAY JAN. 22. (United 905 leaving Istanbul 12:05pm arrive EWR 4:35pm).

She vanished on MONDAY JAN. 21.

So if she was on the Tuesday flight, it's totally normal she was out and around Istanbul on Monday and not packed yet.

The confusion about exactly what day she was leaving Istanbul and on what flight has not been totally resolved because it has been stated and re-stated she was flying out on the 21st in the past...

I suspect that you are right and she really was leaving the 22nd, which would clear up the mystery of why she was touring around on the 21st. She also wouldn't have been under any time constraint at all to head back to her pad from Sarayburnu...

Interesting, also from the USA Today article (it's an older article, so I like to read through those from time to time to refresh the little details that were shared when she was merely "missing") is that she had not yet packed her belongings to go home.

Based on the timeline that's been put together, it's pretty well been established that she was already cutting it close, time-wise, to making her flight. I find it strange- perhaps completely irrelevant, though- that she hadn't even packed yet. When I took a 3 week trip through Europe I packed lightly, as I didn't anticipate overwhelming access to laundromats and didn't want to lug a bunch of junk from one place to the next- but still, it was a significant amount of luggage. It was a 3 week trip, after all. It probably wouldn't have taken her an inordinant amout of time to pack, but that she hadn't done it yet strikes me as strange.

As if this trip to the bridge hadn't been planned in advance. Maybe Taylan convinced her to take a spur of the moment photography jaunt or something, promising to get her back to the hostel in time to pack.

I know, I know. More speculation. I can't help it!

It doesn't make sense to me too but for different reasons.

If her plane was arrived at 16:55 on 22nd it is supposed to be the UA905 flight which leaves istanbul at 12:00 and arrives same day at around 16:35

There is 7 hours time difference, direct flight takes 11-12 hours so actual time difference at arrival will be 4-5 hours. So it is very strange if she was leaving turkey on 21st afternoon and arriving on 22nd late afternoon. She would have waited like 10 hours in a transit city. Also direct flights seem cheaper with UA.

The last time that they have spoken to her was the day before of her flight. She had spoken to her sister on 21st morning. So I am very convinced that she was flying on 22nd. Thats why she wasn't packed.

https://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&tbo...50,d.Yms&fp=5b79c96fd069a26a&biw=1366&bih=611

About Taylan: I would agree. He could be up to something. The day before they were at Sirkeci. Why not go to bridge then? Why not meet in a different area?

ToutCa, I totally agree. Based on the few facts we DO know, the circumstances best fit with a scenario in which she was planning to leave the following day, and not on the 21st.

I would like to know when (if at all) Taylan was informed about SS' plans to go back home early. What was his reaction? Was he disappointed, did he try to convince her to stay?

I also agree with Kluver13 (great first post, BTW). There are WAY too many coincidences for this to have been a random attack. I don't think anything we've learned by way of facts points to a random crime of opportunity. That it's been floated around as a possible scenario by Turkish LE simply means they're being thorough, examining all possibilities- just in case. MOO.

This did not come out in the investigation.

We don't know what flight she was on. Since she changed it, she might have had stopovers rather than a direct flight. We just don't know.

All we know is she walked all the way over to Sirkeci and was found further on by Sarayburnu. We don't have a clue what time she intended to turn back. Maybe that info will come out in future, we'll see.

It did come out early on by her own family, that she was departing on the 21st and arriving the 22nd on a united flight into Newark.

Yes the rest I'm speculating on. But it is based on information. There are only 2 Newark bound (with 1 stop) flights that are overnight in that direction. Most flights from Istanbul to the US are day flight. I've done the trip many times.

The other guessing on the time table are based on having very accurate knowledge of Istanbul and how long it would take to get from one place to another.

Again you are right, it is still speculating. But since we don't know all the details we have to try to make sense with what we do know and logic.

ToutCa, I totally agree. Based on the few facts we DO know, the circumstances best fit with a scenario in which she was planning to leave the following day, and not on the 21st.

I would like to know when (if at all) Taylan was informed about SS' plans to go back home early. What was his reaction? Was he disappointed, did he try to convince her to stay?

I also agree with Kluver13 (great first post, BTW). There are WAY too many coincidences for this to have been a random attack. I don't think anything we've learned by way of facts points to a random crime of opportunity. That it's been floated around as a possible scenario by Turkish LE simply means they're being thorough, examining all possibilities- just in case. MOO.

http://abcnews.go.com/International..._oCIDA&usg=AFQjCNGyBe2AVMpX7lht2iPs2qY02aW0Mg

It did come out early on by her own family, that she was departing on the 21st and arriving the 22nd on a united flight into Newark.

Sure, but at the end of the day, we still have no clue what time she intended to turn back from her explorations.

Maybe she was cutting it close.

Maybe she wasn't.

You are right that she could have been lured or placed where she was. No one knows yet if she meant to be there and if she was there to take pictures... or if pretty much everything post-Sirkeci was really her will or not.

You and I and everyone here is on the same side -- we want to figure it out and make sure the responsible party or parties are held responsible. Your insider resident insights are very welcome and help us all better understand the possibilities. Thank you!!!!!

Could the discrepancy in the flight information be a result of the time differences? If her family said she was leaving on the 21st, could that have been the 21st EST?

Just a thought.

So currently EVERY news article- both Turkish and American MSM (HuffPo, ABC, CBS, etc) state she was due to fly back on 1/21.

That takes me back to my original question. Her timeline was tight as it is. Why wasn't she packed?

News...

Court asked for blood, saliva samples and fingerprints from 21 people.

Police believes there is a high possibility that she was there to meet with someone, they are checking the surveillance for possible suspects.

The full autopsy report will reportedly be announced in three months time.

I've read that. Seems too long for me, is that normal?

Could the discrepancy in the flight information be a result of the time differences? If her family said she was leaving on the 21st, could that have been the 21st EST?

Just a thought.

Perhaps. This is where things get confusing for me. Currently it is 11:25 AM on February 4th in NYC. It's 6:25 PM on February 4th in Istanbul right now.

So Istanbul is 7 hours ahead of NYC (easter time zone).

If she was to board her flight at 5 PM (ish) on 1/21 TURKEY-TIME (that sounds silly- visions of Thanksgiving running through my head- but I digress) it would have only been 10 AM on 1/21 in NYC. If she was to land in NYC at 4:45 PM EST on 1/22, it would have been midnight-ish in Turkey- going into 1/23.

Right?

It doesn't make sense to me too but for different reasons.

If her plane was arrived at 16:55 on 22nd it is supposed to be the UA905 flight which leaves istanbul at 12:00 and arrives same day at around 16:35

There is 7 hours time difference, direct flight takes 11-12 hours so actual time difference at arrival will be 4-5 hours. So it is very strange if she was leaving turkey on 21st afternoon and arriving on 22nd late afternoon. She would have waited like 10 hours in a transit city. Also direct flights seem cheaper with UA.

The last time that they have spoken to her was the day before of her flight. She had spoken to her sister on 21st morning. So I am very convinced that she was flying on 22nd. Thats why she wasn't packed.

https://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&tbo...50,d.Yms&fp=5b79c96fd069a26a&biw=1366&bih=611

About Taylan: I would agree. He could be up to something. The day before they were at Sirkeci. Why not go to bridge then? Why not meet in a different area?

I agree the confusion about what day she actually left is confusing. It's possible that because she rebooked it, and already had to pay change fees she would want as cheap of a flight as possible. Perhaps this meant she did have a very long layover. Perhaps the agent saw that a flight was going out of another European city to Newark, and the two legs were booked separately for cost reasons. Direct flights are usually more expensive.

One thing I just thought of from early reports, supposedly she told her family that she was going to spend the day visiting Galata bridge and exploring the Asian side. But where the police saw her there was no evidence she actually had any intention of going to the Asian side.

However there is a ferry port with boats that go to the Asian side along the same road she would have walked to get to the wall.

Multiple sources, including "mainstream" and most respectable Turkish media:

SS murdered with blunt object to head, body shows cuts and scratches and bruises all over, signs that it was moved at least a few feet from where she fell. Body found with pants and underwear lowered. Preliminary rape test negative. Body found with pieces of wood placed on it in some attempt to hide.
Multiple DNA tests ongoing (on blanket found near her, on fingernail scrapings, etc.).

Unscrupulous and untrustworthy news sources:

Anything beyond the above. Any talk of rape. Any specific talk of what DNA tests might show.

Be careful and consider the sources as you speculate.

I italicized a portion of the quote that is confusing me (not that this whole case isn't confusing enough.) But I'm not sure why they think cuts/scratches/bruises mean that she was moved. If she was deceased, then bruising wouldn't happen, right? Cuts & scratches, sure, but unless I'm wrong (totally possible), bruising would have to happen while she was alive. :(

Just a thought.

I was thinking about the same. When she was supposed to for the airport it would be late night of 21st in us. That could be the reason.

I feel like the language barrier is affecting the news a lot, some stuff I've read looks like they were in turkish than translated to english than translated back to turkish or the opposite. Also most websites use the same source.

Some articles say her sister talked her the day before of her flight some say its the same day.

Anyway of course I am just blabbing here.
Its always easier to pack when you are going back. Maybe she couldn't take the photos she wanted to take the day before, she went back and was planning to rush back when she finish taking them.

So currently EVERY news article- both Turkish and American MSM (HuffPo, ABC, CBS, etc) state she was due to fly back on 1/21.

That takes me back to my original question. Her timeline was tight as it is. Why wasn't she packed?

Well, MSM has mis-reported other details in the case.

(If you want to open up another impossible can of worms, we could try re-launching the whole how many phones did she have, how many SIM-cards, did she have a "Turkish phone" or a "European phone", etc....we could go around in circles forever on that alone).

No one official has ever said what flight she was supposed to leave Istanbul on.

And, since her flight was changed at the last minute, she may have taken multiple airlines with multiple stops back from Istanbul.

Saying she was to leave IST the 21st (if true) and arrived Newark on United at 4:50pm leaves the possibilities very wide open.

My own opinion (and JMO!) is that she knew what she was doing. She probably had enough time for her trek over to at least Sirkeci to make whatever flight she was on, whenever it was. I bet she had left enough time to ready her bags too.

Looking at the times she was on video, she was strolling over, in no rush.

If she was in a hurry, the times would have been closer together, or she could have taken the tram, which covers the same route fast-fast-fast.

She didn't.

All of this JMO JMO JMO...so take it for what it's worth.

I italicized a portion of the quote that is confusing me (not that this whole case isn't confusing enough.) But I'm not sure why they think cuts/scratches/bruises mean that she was moved. If she was deceased, then bruising wouldn't happen, right? Cuts & scratches, sure, but unless I'm wrong (totally possible), bruising would have to happen while she was alive. :(

That's my fault for misleading phrasing -- I will edit it. The sources say she had the bruises AND that there were signs she was moved. I did not mean to imply the bruises were because of moving the body.

The sources imply they are because she was beaten. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members