GUILTY Turkey - Sarai Sierra, 33, NY woman murdered, Istanbul, 21 Jan 2013 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The consulate can provide them with advice about repatriation, but they do not assist financially. Yes, it can be $10k or more. Some credit cards offer insurance that covers repatriation, as do a lot of travel insurance policies. Upthread I posted a link to the Consulate's repatriation information. I'll see if I can dig it up again.

Found it: http://istanbul.usconsulate.gov/death_ac_abroad.html

You are absolutely right! That was excellent information. Thank you.

I was just speaking about potential options.

I would not know about any of it, but it sadly happened to my family and friends twice.

Just trying to help, if possible.

<self edited because I took the bait from someone being insulting about Americans and this thread is NOT about me, it's about Sarai>

I don't think it was about her being an American. I think it was about her specifically. I think this was a pass that she rejected and lost her life because of it. I think it was Taylan.

I love that they're selling her pictures to raise money. Such a classy way of handling it. It spends Sarai's art around the world as well as raising money to bring her home.

Ah...good. It was becoming too hard to focus on the case and actually ignorance started to hurt.

I'll translate the rest but this is just media crap no source is stated. (I mean the first and second paragraphs)

Sarai Sierra's trip to death started 6 months ago when she started publishing her photos on instagram. Sierra was staying with her parents because of the problems she was having with her husband. Soon she had 3000 followers and met with people all around the world. She got invitations from all over the world. Her friends from Turkey told her Istanbul is a great city to take photos.

Sierra came to Turkey on 8th of January and stayed in the room in Tarlabasi for a week. Then she went to Amsterdam to meet with AR. When AR learned that she was missing he said: "I told her to not go there. I wasn't feeling right about where she was staying an the person she is staying with. I believe she met with wrong people on internet and thats why she is in trouble."

It is been said (but not confirmed) that a special team from US is accompanying the interrogation and search. US press came to Istanbul as well.

Istanbul has lower murder rates when compared to other metropols. Numbers are given

Forensic results: No rape, her face is unrecognizable

According to initial results no sign of rape. On the left side of her head starting from a little bit above her neck there are 5 blows to head. Her right hands ring finger and middle fingers are broken. Although her death time is not certain, she was died on 21st. Her face is unrecognizable because of the blows on her head. There are lots of small cuts and bruises on her body. Full autopsy report will be ready in three weeks. Blood and saliva samples will be taken from all suspects.

-It was very hard to translate the last paragraph. I hope the monster who did this will be arrested soon, nothing else matters at that point. :cry:

Ah...good. It was becoming too hard to focus on the case and actually ignorance started to hurt.

I'll translate the rest but this is just media crap no source is stated. (I mean the first and second paragraphs)

Sarai Sierra's trip to death started 6 months ago when she started publishing her photos on instagram. Sierra was staying with her parents because of the problems she was having with her husband. Soon she had 3000 followers and met with people all around the world. She got invitations from all over the world. Her friends from Turkey told her Istanbul is a great city to take photos.

Sierra came to Turkey on 8th of January and stayed in the room in Tarlabasi for a week. Then she went to Amsterdam to meet with AR. When AR learned that she was missing he said: "I told her to not go there. I wasn't feeling right about where she was staying an the person she is staying with. I believe she met with wrong people on internet and thats why she is in trouble."

It is been said (but not confirmed) that a special team from US is accompanying the interrogation and search. US press came to Istanbul as well.

Istanbul has lower murder rates when compared to other metropols. Numbers are given

According to initial results no sign of rape. On the left side of her head starting from a little bit above her neck there are 5 blows to head. Her right hands ring finger and middle fingers are broken. Although her death time is not certain, she was died on 21st. Her face is unrecognizable because of the blows on her head. There are lots of small cuts and bruises on her body. Full autopsy report will be ready in three weeks. Blood and saliva samples will be taken from all suspects.

-It was very hard to translate the last paragraph. I hope the monster who did this will be arrested soon, nothing else matters at that point. :cry:

BBM
I think it's the first time I read something about Sarai not living with her husband etc.

On a side note, thank you so much for helping with all the translations. It can be a draining thing to do, especially when it's about such sad events.

You are showing your ignorance about Turkey.

They have the same clothing stores they do in the US. There are Starbucks, burger kings, and McDonalds everyone, and its always Turks eating at them.

I get the point you are trying to make. But you are making the assumption that at least outward appearance in Turkey are vastly different then in America. They have billboards for swimsuits, and alcohol just like we do in the states. They have big new fancy malls. They have young people hanging out in public places just like in the states.

Your assumption show that you are stereotyping Turks, and quite falsely I might add.

One thing I noticed in the CCTV of Sarai walking through the Istanbul mall is that she blended in with those around her. I don't think anything about her stood out as being "American" and/or "wealthy." JMO

After reading the last piece of information I am (almost) convinced that:

-The aim was to murder, I don't see anything accidental.
-It was a very personal attack. I believe she knew the murderer.
-It happened in that day (thats a given fact) either in the exact same location or she was picked up by car.
Maybe Taylan or one of the other guys picked up her with a car but police wasn't able to read the messages as he deleted his account.
-Police is waiting for the gmail proof & ip addresses to arrest someone.

I know we talked about all before. This seems like a full story now but still the actual scenario could be far from this.

Oh my gosh... I wish so much she had stayed in Amsterdam. AR said she felt Amsterdam was more her kind of place. Just going by her friends' statements and IG comments she made, she seemed like a kind soul with an adventurous spirit. I would have liked to have known her, and I'm not surprised people were drawn to her. :(

lavy, thanks so much for all your translation work. I don't know what this thread would have looked like without it!

BBM
I think it's the first time I read something about Sarai not living with her husband etc.

I call BS on that article, suggesting what they are suggesting? Seriously! Sounds like they are trying to paint her as someone out meeting lots of men for the wrong reasons. Insulting, and BS. I swear, I think in society today, we do not put enough emphasis on how words are abusive also, not just physical abuse. I believe that the internet perpetuates this, and people get away with bloody murder in how they denigrate people and strip them of their dignity and honor, in all ways. This is why I hate gossip mags, and negligent news reporters, or online bullies. It's all a passive way of abusing people either on purpose or just by being snarky and lazy with critical thought and language.

After reading the last piece of information I am (almost) convinced that:

-The aim was to murder, I don't see anything accidental.
-It was a very personal attack. I believe she knew the murderer.

It seems for me that the murderer was very angry, either with Sarai or with women generally. Multiple blows, disfiguring the face...

It seems for me that the murderer was very angry, either with Sarai or with women generally. Multiple blows, disfiguring the face...

Yes, and her fingers - she probably knew what was happening to her. I had hoped at least that the blow came from behind and she never had a chance to be afraid.

I call BS on that article, suggesting what they are suggesting? Seriously! Sounds like they are trying to paint her as someone out meeting lots of men for the wrong reasons. Insulting, and BS. I swear, I think in society today, we do not put enough emphasis on how words are abusive also, not just physical abuse. I believe that the internet perpetuates this, and people get away with bloody murder in how they denigrate people and strip them of their dignity and honor, in all ways. This is why I hate gossip mags, and negligent news reporters, or online bullies. It's all a passive way of abusing people either on purpose or just by being snarky and lazy with critical thought and language.

Sadly all sorts of insulting and ignorant stuff has been written about Sarai. Simply because she chose to travel alone to a "less popular" destination and cause she trusted some people she met online.

BBM

On a side note, thank you so much for helping with all the translations. It can be a draining thing to do, especially when it's about such sad events.

Thats why I said media crap, I don't think it is true. It is gross how much they love gossipy stuff. Although I saw a video where they were in US in front of her house and they said they interviewed her neighbors but even if it is true...so what?

Yes it started to feel a little depressing but I am glad I can help. I know how useless google translate can be.

I'm trying to explain you that Turkey is not some poverty ridden country where anyone from the West is automatically considered rich. It does NOT work like that.

This part is about the southeastern region of Turkey. Istanbul lies in the other end, the northwestern one.

I am pretty sure that Turks are equally prone to be pickpocketed in the places like the Grand Bazaar.

[B]U.S. citizen tourists sometimes report a particular kind of confidence game in Turkey, mainly in Istanbul, that targets lone male tourists.[/B] [/COLOR]
Sarai was a woman.

As in any place full of tourists. Sarai didn't look like a rich person. She might have been targeted for her electronic devices, as the thieves like that stuff, yes.

Thank you for explaining it. I know many of us needed to understand it from this point of view. I, for one, am glad you said it.

One thing I noticed in the CCTV of Sarai walking through the Istanbul mall is that she blended in with those around her. I don't think anything about her stood out as being "American" and/or "wealthy." JMO

I thought she stood out on the surveillance videos, but only because she was by herself. A lone, confident woman walking about by herself who doesn't seem to know or chat with anyone tends to stand out anywhere.

And woman (and the elderly or handicapped) who are by themselves are much more vulnerable to potential criminals. This is true wherever she is on the globe.

Thats why I said media crap, I don't think it is true. It is gross how much they love gossipy stuff. Although I saw a video where they were in US in front of her house and they said they interviewed her neighbors but even if it is true...so what?

Yes it started to feel a little depressing but I am glad I can help. I know how useless google translate can be.

Thank you, Lavy. Your opinion and explanations were invaluable. I am glad you helped us understand.

Yes, and her fingers - she probably knew what was happening to her. I had hoped at least that the blow came from behind and she never had a chance to be afraid.

Maybe she was trying to protect her head? That's why her fingers are...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay