GUILTY Turkey - Sarai Sierra, 33, NY woman murdered, Istanbul, 21 Jan 2013 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that many in my own life, personally speaking. Obviously I can only speak from personal experience. Funny how all of these coincidences occur around the exact same person over and over again, on the exact day SS goes missing, at the exact time she's last seen. Way too much for me to pass off as innocent. At best Taylan knows a lot more than he's saying. Had this happened in the states, and not in a distant land most of us are unfamiliar with, we'd all be zeroing in the last person who was known to have had contact with her. I don't see why this should be any different, especially considering the circumstances.

In American law, it's called circumstantial evidence and has been known to convict a person in court. But I agree that while stranger things have happened. The fact that they seem to have met/talked several times over her vacation with no problems yet right at the time when she goes missing, he has all these "communication" issues with her does seem odd. I think police here in the US would be making him suspect #1.

Finally, I just read that the final results of the autopsy won't be ready for three months! Wow, the perp could be halfway around the world by then.

As for it being a random act of violence, it still could be but if they wanted the iPhone and iPad and had time to kill her, pull down her pants, put her in the hole and put wood on top, wouldn't they have had a couple mins. to spare to take her gold jewelry which could be sold a lot easier and with less hassle than electronics? Especially in Istanbul where there are many bazaars dedicated to reselling jewelry.

There are too many coincidences involving Taylan on that fateful day to allow me to believe this was a random act. Besides, while she may have appeared to be a tourist (if she was taking pics with her iphone, for instance), I don't think you can easily peg her on sight as American. She has slightly darker skin tones, and quite frankly looks more ethnic than a stereotypical American looks (she was Latina).

Not wishing to disagree for the sake of it, but trust me, Americans stand out.

Everything you say, everything you do, everything you eat, wear, or carry, your lovely teeth, strong healthy appearances, your clear skin and confident stride.

Pretty much unmistakeable even after one generation. Children born in America look and behave like children born in America (which is a good thing :)) no matter where their parents come from.

She would have been instantly recognised as American, I think. Turkish women just don't stride around alone taking photos, nor do a lot of other less Western cultures.

But I don't know much about this case at all...just observing a misconception. This T character sounds as dodgy as can be.

I'm not going to comment on the webpage, facebook thing because I get kind of squigged out when I see people posting personal info about others online. That said, from the newspaper reports and the husband, I still think Taylan was involved in some way. Like others have said, they had met in Istanbul several times before so why right before she goes missing does he suddenly have trouble contacting her. 2)If they had met previously, wouldn't he have become a bit concerned when she never shows up? Would he have tried to text/email asking where she was or razzing her out for standing him up? Especially since she's a foreign woman in a strange country. 3)If her husband called and he hadn't had contact with her either for days-wouldn't he have been a little bit more concerned?

His lack of curiosity makes me think he knows something. I do wonder since the police seem to be treating him with kid gloves in regards to not coming down to the station and not detaining him, if his family or friends are influential and the authorities don't want to antagonize them. Either that or the police are waiting for the DNA to help prove their case. But I just can't understand why if she missed her appointment with him and her husband calls from America wanting to know her whereabout, Taylan doesn't seem to care.

I was not very convinced yesterday that Taylan was involved as he was released that quickly. The more we talk about him the more I believe he was involved somehow. The fact that he wasn't worried is a good point. It seems like he is trying to avoid everything. Even if he is guilty he could have gone and said this is what happened and we haven't met. He couldn't possibly thought they wouldn't find him? Still I feel like he is acting very emotionless from what I've read.

I only want to really make clear that he went to the police station. When police wanted to detained him he said I don't want to be publicized so they took him not to the headquarters but one of the main police stations. Seriously I don't see anything wrong about that. I would probably do the same.

The fact that he didn't call the police and said I know something about the case is a different issue.

I doubt the picnic part..it was hit and miss trying to connect/contact each other on the last day and the time before she went to the bridge. Does not sound very well planned out, just a hi I will be here sight seeing, can you be kinda of last minute thing.

We are led to believe it was hit or mix connection. How do we know there were not Skype or txt conversation surround those three email communications. Taylan certainly wants us to think communication was hit or miss.

What if it was purposely a miss. Again what if his roll was just to get her there.

There are too many coincidences involving Taylan on that fateful day to allow me to believe this was a random act. Besides, while she may have appeared to be a tourist (if she was taking pics with her iphone, for instance), I don't think you can easily peg her on sight as American. She has slightly darker skin tones, and quite frankly looks more ethnic than a stereotypical American looks (she was Latina).

BBM

Everyone looks ethnic because everyone has an ethnicity.

At first I was thinking it was NOT a last minute thing, because she had IM'd her sister that morning at 6:15 AM letting her know of these plans. Then I remembered the time zone difference. 6:15 AM EST would be 1:15 PM in Turkey. Was she IM'ing her sister from the bridge area? That's the same time the surveillance video recorded her, and by then she'd been in the area for at least an hour and a half. So she must have had a connection of some kind. Which then begs the question- why would there have been a communication/connection issue between the two of them if she was able to connect with her sister on IM during the same timeframe?

Do we know fore sure what time her sister received the message?

I think someone quoted it before, and it wasnt about her plans, just about saying she would be home the following day.

BBM

Everyone looks ethnic because everyone has an ethnicity.

I get that. I'm speaking of stereotypes- of trying to identify where a person is from based solely on looks alone. I was initially stating that IMO SS did not necessarily look at first glance like the only possible country she could be from is America. I was in no way claiming some people do not have an ethnicity. That would be ridiculous.

SapphireSteel, however, made a great point- that it isn't just about how one looks that helps people identify on sight where they may be from. She stated many things, such as mannerisms and food choices, that could help one stand out as American, regardless of whether they look the stereotypical part or not.

We are led to believe it was hit or mix connection. How do we know there were not Skype or txt conversation surround those three email communications. Taylan certainly wants us to think communication was hit or miss.

What if it was purposely a miss. Again what if his roll was just to get her there.

If that's the case, that there was skype conversation between them he isn't reporting, then her phone might have evidence that was erased or attempted to be erased when it was powered on a week after her disappearance.

Everything you say, everything you do, everything you eat, wear, or carry, your lovely teeth, strong healthy appearances, your clear skin and confident stride.

Pretty much unmistakeable even after one generation. Children born in America look and behave like children born in America (which is a good thing :)) no matter where their parents come from.

She would have been instantly recognised as American, I think. Turkish women just don't stride around alone taking photos, nor do a lot of other less Western cultures.

But I don't know much about this case at all...just observing a misconception. This T character sounds as dodgy as can be.

You have so many misconception about Turkey!!!
Have you ever even been there?

I was not very convinced yesterday that Taylan was involved as he was released that quickly. The more we talk about him the more I believe he was involved somehow. The fact that he wasn't worried is a good point. It seems like he is trying to avoid everything. Even if he is guilty he could have gone and said this is what happened and we haven't met. He couldn't possibly thought they wouldn't find him? Still I feel like he is acting very emotionless from what I've read.

I only want to really make clear that he went to the police station. When police wanted to detained him he said I don't want to be publicized so they took him not to the headquarters but one of the main police stations. Seriously I don't see anything wrong about that. I would probably do the same.

The fact that he didn't call the police and said I know something about the case is a different issue.

I guess I missed he DID go to the station. Hmm. But it is still strange that he talked with her four months on the internet and met with her in person yet is so emotionless. I guess he could say he watch the news and know she was missing but this is a big freaking deal in Istanbul-even tourists in Istanbul have heard about this. So for him not to call the police especially after she never kept her appointment on THE LAST DAY, make him seem guilty. Either that or he's married and wanted to keep it mum that he's met a woman alone. The Turkish police must know what they are doing and I know in most investigations not everything is made available to the public until the trial.

Did I read that the prosecutor had a list of suspects already?

Finally, I think it's kind of unrealistic for the relatives to think her sons don't know anything is wrong. Even if they told them that her father is bringing their mother home, kids are smart and can sense when something isn't right. The fact that their mom hasn't called and that their father has been gone so long does not go unnoticed. I really feel for those boys right now.

I must say that most people in my country would have an hard time telling if one is American, Canadian or even Australian..

I'm not so sure foreigners all over the world can spot Americans so easily. They can tell one is not from their country, that's for sure.

I think Sarai could have passed as a Turkish girl, I know people could hardly notice I wasn't from Turkey if I went there and I'm not Turkish at all.
She didn't eve strike me as someone who would behave all obnoxiously and have people notice her.
Again, people might have noticed she was a foreigner but not necessarily see that she was American specifically.

I'm on the fence about Taylan, but deleting accounts and not showing any emotion or signs of being worried for Sarai really makes me feel bad about him.
If her husband really asked him about Sarai, it's interesting he didn't even offer to go look for her, at least check the place she was staying and such.

I must say that most people in my country would have an hard time telling if one is American, Canadian or even Australian..

I'm not so sure foreigners all over the world can spot Americans so easily. They can tell one is not from their country, that's for sure.

I think Sarai could have passed as a Turkish girl, I know people could hardly notice I wasn't from Turkey if I went there and I'm not Turkish at all.
She didn't eve strike me as someone who would behave all obnoxiously and have people notice her.
Again, people might have noticed she was a foreigner but not necessarily see that she was American specifically.

That was basically what I was trying to say. LOL. Thanks for putting it together better than I managed to! :)

I don't think SapphireSteel has misconceptions. What she/he is saying is very true. I read an article (I believe it was in the New York Times, but I could be wrong) that was pointing out the similarities between black and white Americans, and stated that our similarities because we are Americans are much greater than our differences, and that if you put a black American and white American in another country anywhere in the world, both would automatically be identified as Americans because of mannerisms, and all of the other things that SapphireSteel mentioned. Forgive me if using the terms black and white are no longer politically correct. I am almost a senior citizen and don't know the current terminology but am one of the least prejudiced people on earth!

I understand that people can be identified by things other then their manner of dress. I'm not arguing that.

But they are making assumption the Turkish people, especially young Turks have mannerism that are drastically different then Americans. It's simply not the case. You would be more easily recognizable as an American on the street of London the in Istanbul. Even when Turkish people hear you speak English they do not assume you are American. I can't tell you how many times a Turkish person asked me where I was from, and was surprised to learn I was American.

I'm sure there are some people who would exhibit extremely American stereotypes and they may stick out. But most Americans in Turkey would NOT stick out as be obviously American. To assume that, is assuming a lot of things about how Turkish society is, and they are mistaken about such obvious contrasts, that would only be noticeable through observing someone.

My problem with the discussion focusing so much on Taylan goes back to the way Brettley Wilson was suspected after Mickey Shunick disappeared. He had been the last person to see her at 2am the night she disappeared/was murdered, but surveillance cameras later proved him to be innocent, and led to the discovery of her true killer. Taylan may well prove to be guilty, but he might be completely innocent too.

Wow. Do you think healthy people only live in America? Like many others over here, I've lived in that area of the world. You really are mistaken. And, more people in Cairo had cell phones than here in the US when we lived there (much easier than land lines - less infrastructure). Young Egyptians (teens to 20-somethings) would be taking pictures of themselves and friends left and right, just like is done now in the US.

Also, I wanted to bring this forward.

bbm

I found this description probably quite accurate, according to photos of people in the streets - and SS's attire wasn't too much different than what is shown in the photo below (I am sure in the more rural areas, more women may dress conservatively, but probably not in Istanbul. We lived in Cairo for awhile, and we saw all sorts of attire worn by Egyptian women - from jeans and tank tops to full burka/face covering. Yes, you will draw more attention from local men, but you won't necessarily stand out, unless you're blonde or redheaded and obviously not native. I believe SS blended in very well):

One could find women dressed in jeans and T-shirts, skirts or abayas whatever you could imagine but this is all well accepted and none stares at someone wearing a skirt, a sleeveless shirt with no head scarf or the one wearing a head-to-toe abaya. Presence of so many pubs and mosques alike with both functional and attracting equal number of people and then the acceptance of all type of dressing points towards the culture of individual freedom people of Istanbul consider so dear.

Dressing-in-Turkey-Women.jpg

http://blog.ale.com.pk/?p=1382

sahhrudd is the new username of taylloo. He didn't closed it he changed it. I will try to find my proof but I've seen in on instagram.

I'll have a look but I don't thing this guy is Taylan. Although I must say I haven't seen any photos of Taylloo.

This guy is 21-22.

Based on Amsterdam guy saying sahhrudd was the last to see Saria, and/or what you have read or know about him, do you think he is connected in some way with Saria's case? Honestly, I don't know what to think anymore. :)

Well look where he lives compared to where Sarai was found.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 6.45.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 6.45.18 PM.png
    90.2 KB · Views: 49
My problem with the discussion focusing so much on Taylan goes back to the way Brettley Wilson was suspected after Mickey Shunick disappeared. He had been the last person to see her at 2am the night she disappeared/was murdered, but surveillance cameras later proved him to be innocent, and led to the discovery of her true killer. Taylan may well prove to be guilty, but he might be completely innocent too.

That is true, but we are just discussing all the possibilities. They are just theories.

That is true, but we are just discussing all the possibilities. They are just theories.

Agree it's just theories. No one here has the power to change anything.

I just think
It's sad that the family doesn't have the funds to bring her home. Hopefully some business will come through to help pay for the shipment home:(

Based on Amsterdam guy saying sahhrudd was the last to see Saria, and/or what you have read or know about him, do you think he is connected in some way with Saria's case? Honestly, I don't know what to think anymore. :)

Sahhrudd is Taylloo's (Taylan's) new username. He didn't close his instagram just changed his name & make it private.
It is changed but if somebody referred to him it still stays as taylloo.

Proof:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member