GUILTY Turkey - Sarai Sierra, 33, NY woman murdered, Istanbul, 21 Jan 2013 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from an earlier news program: There are two Iranians among the detainees. But Iranians visiting Turkey are usually pro-West.

She was searched as a missing person after she was seen. However it turned to a murder case on 2nd when they found out that she was walking to Cankurtaran and disappeared there.

Also If her body was found on the 21st, it would be much easier for the police. Most of the evidence was destroyed.

Another reason why I wouldn't rule out another tourist is this.
Who would she be more trusting of ,a stranger from a foriegn country that just happened to be in the area walking around ,or another American thats also touring there and knows the area.
If it were me I would have felt more comfortable with another American that was also sightseeing of which I had more in common with.

Its unlikely that another American tourist would be in that same spot. And she was not seen on camera walking with anyone else.

Again it's just my opinion of course....but I really think your looking in the wrong direction.....there just wouldn't be a bunch of people in the particular spot for this scenario to be likely.

What makes you lean this way?

I don't think it was that particular spot that she met someone,but an area nearby.

Its unlikely that another American tourist would be in that same spot. And she was not seen on camera walking with anyone else.

The cameras only go so far.She could have met someone in a more favorable area nearby where there was no cameras.That is a tourist area so its not unlikely in my opinion.

I don't think it was that particular spot that she met someone,but an area nearby.

She was last seen on camera alone, very close to where she was found. By that point even across the road it would be unlikely, do to that particular locations lack of access to anything else, that another tourist would have venture there.

I don't think I'm making my point very well. The location of where they are searching, is not a location along the wall that is frequented by tourists. Other parts of the wall, yes, but not that part.

If she got there on her own THAT day, its because she had been shown that location by someone else a previous day. Not by accident.

Hi, this is my first post.
I'm a "foreigner" of a similar age to Sarai and have been living in Istanbul for five years. I've been following this case with sad interest. I'm also into photography and often go around the city alone taking photos.

I've walked the length of the walls, at least from Eminonu to Kumkapi, on several occasions, but always on the water side. There are very few tourists around that area, despite the proximity to Sultanahmet and Topkapi Palace. It's also worth noting that leading down to the water are big rocks, sloping down. Couples tend to go there, also people go there to drink beer, as well as fishermen. You can't see people there easily. Maybe Sarai climbed on the rocks. Kennedy Caddesi isn't easy to cross, there's a lot of fast moving traffic and if I recall correctly, there may be barriers to prevent pedestrians from crossing everywhere. Perhaps someone can confirm.

I'm bothered by the spare shoes. From the CCTV photos, it doesn't seem like Sarai was into dressing up really nicely on this trip. It's certainly a faff carrying around an extra pair of shoes. As someone who's into long walks and photography, there's no way I would carry another pair of shoes unless I had a reason, such as a plan for later.

Also, after five years of living here as a foreign woman, I've learned a lot about the differences between Turkish culture and others (I'm British, not American, but we're somewhat similar, I'd say). You do need to be more reserved here in opposite sex friendships. There are also men here who seek out foreign women online, perhaps for visa reasons or for easy sex (or so they hope).

It is a horrid feeling to think of that poor woman suffering in that awful place, and now some parts of the Turkish media, as well as others, painting her as a spy and insinuating she may have been a drug mule, it leaves me with a nasty feeling in my stomach.

She was last seen on camera alone, very close to where she was found. By that point even across the road it would be unlikely, do to that particular locations lack of access to anything else, that another tourist would have venture there.

I don't think I'm making my point very well. The location of where they are searching, is not a location along the wall that is frequented by tourists. Other parts of the wall, yes, but not that part.

If she got there on her own THAT day, its because she had been shown that location by someone else a previous day. Not by accident.

How far away of a walk is it from where the last camera saw her and where she was found?

Would you be able to give us the gist of what they're saying?

I'm an in infinite pain. They are thriving on conspiracy theories. Discussing whether Sarai can be regarded as a photographer. I doubt much will come out of this program.

And those graffiti are quite dorky (if that is the right word) compared to the others.

well,she would not have known about that without seeing it for herself. SS had an extra pair of shoes wit her. Now, the only reason i can imagine someone taking an extra pair of shoes was because she knew about the area(from someone telling her) knew she would have to do some walking and climbing so she needed an extra pair of shoes. If you remember, the shoes she has been spotted with in her recent pics were wedges. Not a good idea to do a lot of walking and climbing in those. SS was spotted on CCTV walking toward the area where she was found. And then she vanished!!!!

I said I agreed, but I meant I disagree - her style is way more urban landscapes - modern structures - that creepy area is remote dirty and rundown - not even beautiful for country scenes - unless someone told her there was a good view from atop one of the ruins? I don't know but I can't believe any tourist would even wander around there alone or with someone else. Unfortunately, it looks like a kind of place someone might leave a body...ugh.

well,she would not have known about that without seeing it for herself. SS had an extra pair of shoes wit her. Now, the only reason i can imagine someone taking an extra pair of shoes was because she knew about the area(from someone telling her) knew she would have to do some walking and climbing so she needed an extra pair of shoes. If you remember, the shoes she has been spotted with in her recent pics were wedges. Not a good idea to do a lot of walking and climbing in those. SS was spotted on CCTV walking toward the area where she was found. And then she vanished!!!!

What kind of shoes were the ones she was carrying?

Is the way SS walked to get to the place where she vanished and was murdered the only way of getting to that spot? If it is, how did her murderer get there without the same surveillance camera catching him, like they caught images of her?

Maybe someone somehow got her to meet him there.

From what I'm reading from those translating the discussion (THANK YOU!!!!) surveillance shows her going to the place where she ultimately died alone. So her murderer (presumably) was already there. How did she know to go there? Everyone familiar with the area says she could not have accidentally stumbled upon this place.

I think the meeting was set up in advance. That's why her ipad/phone were taken. I wonder if she asked him to meet her at the bridge, and he said, "I have a better idea". He probably told her to meet him at this other place- this more secluded place- and probably said the pictures would make it worth going to such a secluded area. He was giving her the opportunity to take pictures different from anything one would normally see from an American tourist in Instanbul's photo album.

But how did he get there without being seen by the camera? Is there a back way or something?

BBM

Exactly. Someone told her to meet them there in advance. It explains the shoes, it explains the missing electronics (gotta get rid of any messages that would show this pre-arranged meeting being set up, and gotta hide who set it up with her), it explains how she managed to walk on her own to the place. She was probably given directions and agreed to meet someone there. Whoever she was meeting told her that she'd have some climbing to do, so bring appropriate footwear.

I missed some of it.
They are talking about her life etc.

Few quotes:

-This is a sensitive time for USA-Turkey relationship and news flow; as the embassy was bombed during this time.
-"What are they still searching?" "I believe the evidence must be collected by now, but there doing a very detailed work."

My Assumptions:

I think one reason they took samples from people who live there along with the ones with criminal record is to not to mix the evidence. The blanket could be used by somebody who was sleeping there.

If she didn't killed by someone she knew (I am not sure if they said she was alone until Cankurtaran in the footage) by looking at the violence I think the murderer could be under serious drugs. Just a thought...Still Taylan seems more possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jab99