Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is so amusing about this case?

If by amusing, you mean interesting:

With so few facts, there are endless possibilities. This is a very kaleidoscopic case.

If you mean entertaining, it certainly is not.

8 January: Gets settled in the basement studio she rented in Tarlabasi

9 January: Goes out to get to know the area. Meets the grocery store guy, checkso out places to eat

10 January: Leaves room at noon. Goes to Sulyanahmet (Square). Visits Blue Mosque and Byzantium obelisks in teh Suqare to take photos. Return to Tarlabasi

11 January: First goes to Karaköy., teh to Galata Bridge. Eats at one one the fish restaurant under the bridge. Afterwards, takes photos on the bridge.

12 January: Goes back to Sultanahmet, visits Arasta Bazaar and Ahmet the third Foundation.

13 January: Goes to Eminönü around noon, takes a tour ferry to see Bosporus. Takes photos of Istanbul from teh ferry. Meets Taylan K.

14 January: Resumes her visit to Eminönü. Goes to Spice Bazaar and Grand Bazaar. Does some shopping and takes photos. Returns Taksim in the early evening. After sunset, goes to Galata Tower. Goes in the Tower, takes photos. Lates, takes photos of the Arabic Mosque. (was initially a Gothic church)

15 January: Leaves room to go to the Airport and takes off for Amsterdam.

16-17-18 January: Out of Turkey

19 January: Arrives at Istanbul Airport. Goes to her flat.

20 January: Wanders around in Beyoglu. Goes to a mall. Walks around Istiklal Avenue. Meets with Taylan K.

21 January: The day she went missing. On the Galata Bridge at 11:30. Seen in Sirkeci circa 13:15.

Do we know where this itinerary came from? I read that her father said she was updating them with commentary and photos throughout her trip. I also read seperately that she had taken 264 photos. Of course, I can't find the links now. Is it possible her photos were online for her family to see but she didn't put many on instagram until she had the chance to do whatever photographers do to them (you can tell I'm no photography buff!)?

Do we know where this itinerary came from?

It was published in the Turkish magazine Radikal this morning and kindly translated by our own Yashim. So we can't vouch for its authenticity too much, but can vouch for the superior quality of the translation at least...

9 January: Goes out to get to know the area. Meets the grocery store guy, checkso out places to eat

21 January: The day she went missing. On the Galata Bridge at 11:30. Seen in Sirkeci circa 13:15.

Do we know where this itinerary came from? I read that her father said she was updating them with commentary and photos throughout her trip. I also read seperately that she had taken 264 photos. Of course, I can't find the links now. Is it possible her photos were online for her family to see but she didn't put many on instagram until she had the chance to do whatever photographers do to them (you can tell I'm no photography buff!)?

I believe it's from an article ToutCa pointed out in Radikal (paper).

264 photos info is wrong. It perhaps originated from some Turkish reporter who saw the 200+ photos on her instagram page. we don't know how many she took in Istanbul. Only the 5-6 she had posted.

10 January: Leaves room at noon. Goes to Sulyanahmet (Square). Visits Blue Mosque and Byzantium obelisks in teh Suqare to take photos. Return to Tarlabasi

11 January: First goes to Karaköy., teh to Galata Bridge. Eats at one one the fish restaurant under the bridge. Afterwards, takes photos on the bridge.

12 January: Goes back to Sultanahmet, visits Arasta Bazaar and Ahmet the third Foundation.

13 January: Goes to Eminönü around noon, takes a tour ferry to see Bosporus. Takes photos of Istanbul from teh ferry. Meets Taylan K.

14 January: Resumes her visit to Eminönü. Goes to Spice Bazaar and Grand Bazaar. Does some shopping and takes photos. Returns Taksim in the early evening. After sunset, goes to Galata Tower. Goes in the Tower, takes photos. Lates, takes photos of the Arabic Mosque. (was initially a Gothic church)

15 January: Leaves room to go to the Airport and takes off for Amsterdam.

16-17-18 January: Out of Turkey

19 January: Arrives at Istanbul Airport. Goes to her flat.

20 January: Wanders around in Beyoglu. Goes to a mall. Walks around Istiklal Avenue. Meets with Taylan K.

I must have missed the fact that she had already been to the Galata Bridge before. Now that I think about it, I guess she did if she had been in the area where this 'witness' said he saw the man give her the business card. :doh:

But this realization - that she wasn't going to the bridge to get photos b/c she had not been to the bridge before - stands out to me. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe b/c it had been portrayed in the press that she was going b/c she hadn't been and wanted to get some photos in before leaving (at least that's the way I interpreted it). But she had been there before - and of all the places in Istanbul to go, she goes back there again.

She was definitely meeting someone. Tarkan or mystery man, somebody. And she went further around that peninsula looking for a person, I think, rather than just wondering around. JMO

It was published in the Turkish magazine Radikal this morning and kindly translated by our own Yashim. So we can't vouch for its authenticity too much, but can vouch for the superior quality of the translation at least...

Oops, Ahmet III Foundation should be Ahmet III Fountain.

after all not so superior :)

"Persian mistake"

If by amusing, you mean interesting:

With so few facts, there are endless possibilities. This is a very kaleidoscopic case.

If you mean entertaining, it certainly is not.

If you look at the photos taken from the crime scene, a lot can tell a story - the different spots the forensics team are looking at - their expressions and gestures - I think there was link posted with about 56 photos - must be one of the main - what - 5 or 6 posters that put it up....says a lot. As well, a photo of SS husband coming out of the church flanked by 2 men that do not look like family or church members - more like detectives. MMMMmmm curious. I think many persons are being investigated and the FBI is involved for a serious reason.

Been AWOL b/c I finally broke away from this thread to spend the day with my DD.

Anything new?!? I'm assuming not since yall have resorted to jokes. Not sure if that's a step up or down from the sex talk yesterday. :juggle:

"Persian mistake"

Am I going to have to delete that post praising your translation skills???

No more mistakes now!!!!

I must have missed the fact that she had already been to the Galata Bridge before. Now that I think about it, I guess she did if she had been in the area where this 'witness' said he saw the man give her the business card. :doh:

But this realization - that she wasn't going to the bridge to get photos b/c she had not been to the bridge before - stands out to me. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe b/c it had been portrayed in the press that she was going b/c she hadn't been and wanted to get some photos in before leaving (at least that's the way I interpreted it). But she had been there before - and of all the places in Istanbul to go, she goes back there again.

She was definitely meeting someone. Tarkan or mystery man, somebody. And she went further around that peninsula looking for a person, I think, rather than just wondering around. JMO

The following days she would have to traverse the bridge area in one way more another (walking or metro): 10-14 January. All of these sites are on the opposite side than she was staying.

It's interesting she had this need to get back there her last day. Was it to meet someone or because there's a lot of beauty and touristy stuff in one compact area?

My assumption with two pairs of shoes, ample time, photo opportunities, and limited budget would mean she walked a lot.

Here's a subway map for reference. She was found near the B1 green line betweek Sirkeci and Cankurtaran.

Attachments

• Istanbul_Rapid_Transit_Map_with_Metrob%C3%BCs_%28schematic%29.jpg
    Istanbul_Rapid_Transit_Map_with_Metrob%C3%BCs_%28schematic%29.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 13
Been AWOL b/c I finally broke away from this thread to spend the day with my DD.

Anything new?!? I'm assuming not since yall have resorted to jokes. Not sure if that's a step up or down from the sex talk yesterday. :juggle:

Getting a break was probably wise! I hope you enjoyed the time away...

If memory serves, there has been nothing earth-shattering. There have been little dribs and drabs, but it appears Turkish LE and the FBI have really clamped down on anything significant about the crime or the investigation coming out....

"Persian mistake"

To Yashim and other WS members who live in or have visited Turkey, I have learned so much from you and can't wait to visit Turkey. Even alone. :)

Just as an FYI, I usually go back on the last day of vacation to a spot where I wanted to take more photos. So I don't see that as strange.

To Yashim and other WS members who live in or have visited Turkey, I have learned so much from you and can't wait to visit Turkey. Even alone. :)

Great. You'll be more than fine if you follow Yashim's travel guidelines :)

Totally OT, I need my coffee in the morning. Are there many Starbucks in the Old City?

The following days she would have to traverse the bridge area in one way more another (walking or metro): 10-14 January. All of these sites are on the opposite side than she was staying.

It's interesting she had this need to get back there her last day. Was it to meet someone or because there's a lot of beauty and touristy stuff in one compact area?

My assumption with two pairs of shoes, ample time, photo opportunities, and limited budget would mean she walked a lot.

Here's a subway map for reference. She was found near the B1 green line betweek Sirkeci and Cankurtaran.

bbm

I read an article by those who knew her in NY and they said she walked everywhere with her kids. I think she was used to getting around urban areas on foot. So this isn't surprising.

ETA - Here it is:

Her 40-year-old husband is a New York City bus driver. He drives an old Safari mini bus and neighbors said money appeared tight. Sarai usually walked everywhere with the boys.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...troom-day-bludgeoned-death.html#ixzz2KRg6JSPF

Does anyone remember the discussion about the gold jewelry, probably in the first thread? It had to do with the way gold is marked in Turkey and elsewhere.

Did we ever find out how Saria's jewelry was marked?

I believe it might be interesting to find out, especially about her potential purchases in Turkey and the value of the purchases.

Is gold jewelry a popular tourist purchase?

I remember when "everyone" used to travel to Italy to purchase gold jewelry because it was reasonable and good quality.

Totally OT, I need my coffee in the morning. Are there many Starbucks in the Old City?

Forget Starbucks, you must try Turkish Coffee while you are there. It's divine, but yes so thick you actually probably can get your spoon stuck in it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18