GUILTY Turkey - Sarai Sierra, 33, NY woman murdered, Istanbul, 21 Jan 2013 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
New theory...If they say no rape and that she might (or might not) have been placed there, maybe it wasn't a guy. Maybe she met up with friends on the 21st after she walked out of camera range and went to a party or something and maybe some girl thought she was hitting on her boyfriend and they fought and Sarai fell and they freaked. Possibilities are endless....

Was she supposed to leave on the 21st or 22nd?
Cmac2, I think you follow all the posts, (I'm so behind) did anyone determine the exact time or date her plane was leaving?

But how many women kill other women? I think it's statistically a very tiny chance...

More timeline questions:

Due to the diligence of Istanbul LE, it is reported that at least 20 CCTV sightings are made. One mentions the last at 12:44 on a camera at Sarayburnu. Another mentions the last at 13:15 at Serkeci.

1. Which one is it?
Isn't Serkeci in the opposite direction of where she was found from Sarayburnu?
Where is the Serkeci camera?

2. Where is the mall where she is photographed eating?

3. Was that from January 21 or not? (ambiguous attributions in news media)

4. The body is mentioned as being found with jewelry. We might assume the coiled rose ring ever-present on her right ring finger was present. Was the other jewelry purchased on this trip?

5. Have we seen any CCTV images that are verified as her from January 21? Can we tell if she has the cap , the jacket, the wedge shoes, and more importantly, the green bag?

I know she posted her pics on Instagram and had a huge following. Just curious - did she only use her phone for the pics or did she have a professional-standard camera? On one of the posts I read here earlier, it stated she used her phone for her pics, but I wasn't sure if that was just the day of her final journey or if that was her normal MO. I don't know anything about Instagram so I am not aware if it's phone only pics.

Thanks.

Further Re: The Green Bag

It's a very distinctive bag with the "My Bag" embroidery pattern, the handles, and those multiple strips on the pockets. I haven't been able to find anything in Google or anywhere else that resembles that bag nor figure out it's maker.

She seems absolutely attached to it when out photographing. I have yet to see a photo of her outdoors without it.

Yet it is found in her apartment by LE, not associated with the body. It also looks stuffed, like it was packed. This has to imply that she went back to the apartment and left it there.

Could there have been a public transportation she took back to the apt that wouldn't be caught on CCTV?

Is this the ONLY bag she took for a 21-day trip to Europe in winter? It's generous, but come on- one top, one pair of shoes, 2 pair socks, and some undies. Not even really enough space for an extra pair of pants or a sweater or room for souveniers or cosmetics.

Really really annoyed at LE for having a potential piece of evidence like this visible, without being protected from potential contamination, sitting in the back window of a police car. Just pathetic

I've been following along from day one, just wanted to say I completely discount her hubby as the killer only because I feel like someone, somewhere, would be able to account for her where-abouts in the time between her being last sighted on the camera on the 21st, and the time Her husband and her brother got there.

At this point I don't have a theory that can hold water, but I'll continue to follow along and hope that some good news comes soon...

It's a very distinctive bag with the "My Bag" embroidery pattern, the handles, and those multiple strips on the pockets. I haven't been able to find anything in Google or anywhere else that resembles that bag nor figure out it's maker.

She seems absolutely attached to it when out photographing. I have yet to see a photo of her outdoors without it.

Yet it is found in her apartment by LE, not associated with the body. This has to imply that she went back to the apartment and left it there.

Could there have been a public transportation she took back to the apt that wouldn't be caught on CCTV?

Terrific points!

More timeline questions:

Due to the diligence of Istanbul LE, it is reported that at least 20 CCTV sightings are made. One mentions the last at 12:44 on a camera at Sarayburnu. Another mentions the last at 13:15 at Serkeci.

1. Which one is it?
Isn't Serkeci in the opposite direction of where she was found from Sarayburnu?
Where is the Serkeci camera?

2. Where is the mall where she is photographed eating?

3. Was that from January 21 or not? (ambiguous attributions in news media)

4. The body is mentioned as being found with jewelry. We might assume the coiled rose ring ever-present on her right ring finger was present. Was the other jewelry purchased on this trip?

5. Have we seen any CCTV images that are verified as her from January 21? Can we tell if she has the cap , the jacket, the wedge shoes, and more importantly, the green bag?

If you look at Google maps, you'll see that Sarayburnu & Sikerci are right next to each other.

I have no idea why they don't release the video from the 21. Could help them solve the case, with possible new informants, I would think. UNLESS a suspect is on it they haven't found yet. That's what I'm guessing - they haven't been able to interview or find everyone around her in the last video, and don't want them to go underground. Still I think public could still help...

The mall video's from the 20, pretty sure.

Where did we get the info that she had a turkish phone?

If it was bought legitimately in Istanbul she would have needed to use her passport to register it. A Turk needs their ID card to register. Unlike other countries, you can't just walk into a phone shop and walk out with a pay as you go phone with no record. The same if she bought a local sim card to use in a spare phone.

Why would she buy a turkish phone? Even second hand phones (which still have to be registered to the buyer if bought legitimately) are not cheap in Turkey. Even dismissing all the hassle that can be involved with the registration, unless she intended making a lot of calls it seems a very unnecessary expense to maybe make a few phone calls to see if fellow IGers are available to meet up.

This is completely false, you do not need to register a pay as you go phone in turkey. You do not need a passport to buy a phone in turkey. I was just there this past summer. I know from experience.

Given the prevalence of CCTV all over Istanbul, including on the street she was staying, that's impossible.

She was caught on 20 cameras walking several kilometers across town until she was shortly before the area her body was found.

There's no chance she magically transported herself back home and then back there again without being seen. No.

Trying to catch up on all the latest and surprisingly found a lot of discussions centering around the drug mule possibilities. I just don't see it as a likely scenario:

1) SS has had money issues for years (filed bankruptcy in 2005), and yet during that time has never resorted to illegal activities. If she did we would have heard about her criminal record. Her and her husband are clean.
2) if she was involved in drug smuggling activities against her will, she would not have left her room and walked for miles for one last photo op before returning home.

Because of these, I just don't see the drug thing as an explanation as to what might have happened.

Yet it is found in her apartment by LE, not associated with the body. It also looks stuffed, like it was packed. This has to imply that she went back to the apartment and left it there.

Is this the ONLY bag she took for a 21-day trip to Europe in winter? It's generous, but come on- one top, one pair of shoes, 2 pair socks, and some undies. Not even really enough space for an extra pair of pants or a sweater or room for souveniers or cosmetics.

Really really annoyed at LE for having a potential piece of evidence like this visible, without being protected from potential contamination, sitting in the back window of a police car. Just pathetic

Is it possible she had more than 1 bag? Otherwise, the media reports are false that her bag is missing.

Could the killer be following this?

Especially since this forum was mentioned in the press (and WS is one of the top results when you google SS), my opinion is yes. Most likely.

We had a lady join the forum and contribute theories a while back that was the murderer of the guy whose case we were sleuthing. It isn't unheard of by any means.

Is it possible she had more than 1 bag? Maybe another, smaller purse? Otherwise, the media reports are false that her bag is missing.

I didn't get why no one ever discussed luggage back at her place.

She could have taken a bus, but there's heavy traffic due to construction work on that part. It wouldn't make sense. And Istiklal Avenue, where she ate and seem to frequently used, is mostly pedestrian. There is some ancient tram running up and down, but it's not worth it. She must have been on foot the whole time.

:welcome6:

Welcome, writer411! While it's noble of you to want to go back and read everything, don't feel obligated. There is a lot of info there, but it may take awhile.
Thanks Belimom! I've actually followed most of the story as events unfolded thru this forum's threads on the case. Listening to a group of people chat is a surprisingly effective, yet lost, way of learning about and processing news events

Re: Landlord

I've found the apartment she rented. It's not difficult on airBnB when you know the street name and it's The Cheapest. Seems quite attractive and someplace I'd consider staying myself. Evidently the street it's on has lots of immigrants (especially African) and is reported to be a place where there is drug dealing and prostitution. ***DING DING*** Ringing any bells?

If I were visiting a totally foreign city, I'd certainly rely on my IG pals to tell me if a certain location was decent or bad. There must be some messaging or conversation about that.

Did she tell her landlord about the changed departure time? Did she want a refund? Did he give it to her? What did he do when that time passed and she had not checked out (Jan 22)? Did he go into the apartment to check? Could he have taken her I-pad or phone? Would one have expected him to contact the authorities if a customer was missing? He mus have sat on this apt with her stuff for a week until the police finally came knocking.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

We don't know that was her only bag. It looks like there may be other baggages out of the camera frame in that photo. Even if it is her only bag, nows she's guilty of packing too light? And so?

What are you talking about? Passers-by were going to "contaminate" her personal belongings by looking at them? The bags had been searched by LE and were on their way back to her family. Is it only acceptable to you if they are transported in Hazmat receptacles? Come on.

But how many women kill other women? I think it's statistically a very tiny chance...

I totally agree! I just meant it as an accident, like two girls fighting and someone gets their head hit.
Unlikely, I know. LOL
It was just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads