GUILTY Turkey - Sarai Sierra, 33, NY woman murdered, Istanbul, 21 Jan 2013 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have we established what happened to the high heels?

Since none of us work for Turkish LE (except Yashim, in his active fantasy life), we have not and can not.

Some reports said they were found with the body; others said no.

We won't know until Turkish LE decides to issue an official interview or statement about what the scene of the body was like in detail.

Yeah, but neither of us are the killer. If it is a fairly youthful killer, maybe they value electronics above all else, and maybe the jeans and jacket had blood on them, and the jewerly was just an after thought because it's a guy and they just really don't care for it. We really have no idea why this person did anything they did. They seem very unprofessional overall, as if it was their first time or very unintended to commit murder.

Any junkie on earth knows that the price of metals in through the roof. In scrap price alone, a wedding ring is worth a decent stash. Gold trafficking is actually one of the theories we've touched on here. You don't need ovaries to know to steal metal.

Regarding the bags: I thought she packed a larger bag but carried a smaller bag with her. And the smaller bag is missing?

Regarding packing light: it is a concept with a cultish sort of following. My DH is one of those people who scours websites about how to pack light. People post pictures of the least amount they can take on a business trip or on vacation. The general idea is to carry everything on your person rather than lug suitcases around. The benefits?
-- no baggage checked
-- no baggage fees
-- no baggage claim lines
-- no lost luggage
-- easier to pack up and just - go!
-- with a suitcase full of clothes, you end up lugging around a suitcase full of dirty clothes by the time you come home

I'm not saying Sarai was that deep into the whole "pack lite" culture, but I do think she had probably read a little about how to pack and what to pack. I think she packed very wisely. I could go away for three weeks with just one or two changes of clothes and an extra pair of shoes myself. I've learned how due to my DH's obsession with it.

FYI here are some websites (my DH surfs there at night while I'm here on WS - romantic, huh? Maybe we need to hang out an airport):

- http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/pack-light.htm (for beginners)

DH's faves (more hardcore)
- http://www.onebag.com/
- http://packlite.tumblr.com/

Thanks. I wasn't aware of these sites. This is a personal obsession of mine...
There's also the lifehacker website

For those familiar with/native to Turkey:

What is the predominant method of transportation in Istanbul? Is it similar to some of the other European cities where people generally walk or ride their bikes everywhere? Is it more like New York City, where public transit is the most popular way to get from one place to another?

I'm wondering if it's possible TK and SS had planned to go see the sights someplace else that morning. Maybe because of logistics, TK tells SS to meet him at the bridge, because even though that's not their ultimate destination, it's central to where they're going to be headed, and he already knows she understands how to get there. Is it possible he was planning to pick her up at that location by car and take her wherever it is they'd decided to spend the afternoon?

SS may not have wanted TK to pick her up at her apartment because of her nosy landlord, who made her uncomfortable.

That would be an innocent explanation for why she was seen at a place she'd already visited, on her next to last day in Turkey.

Still catching up...but I had to laugh at the thought of riding a bike around Istanbul......no one rides bikes...it's far too hilly, narrow roads, and crazy drivers.

Most people get around by their own car, tram, metro (those these are limited in where they can bring you), walking, and taxis.

Again still catching up but a couple thoughts....

Regarding the article about her last morning....I find it odd that the times mentioned in this article do not match up at all with all the times she was originally reported being seen on cameras that morning. I wonder what version is right.

Regarding the other incidents at that spot...we keep assuming those were random acts, but the reports only mention attacks happened there, we still don't know if something brought those other women to that spot, or any other details, we don't know anything about who the attackers were in those cases, someone they met there, or a random homeless man....I'm just pointing out we can't assume to much about these attacks, because what we know about them is limited.

I saw someone post about that, was it Yashim or Lavy? Either way, I am fairly certain that diplomats have diplomatic immunity even in cases of murder. I think they are just extradited to their own country where they may or may not face punishment. If it is a corrupt Gov't, I am sure nothing would happen.

Heard my name :) It wasn't me, I think Yashim posted that.
I am not sure what will happen though.

Since none of us work for Turkish LE (except Yashim, in his active fantasy life), we have not and can not.

Some reports said they were found with the body; others said no.

We won't know until Turkish LE decides to issue an official interview or statement about what the scene of the body was like in detail.

The least LE can do at this point is send one of us a PM with just a LITTLE bit of info. You know... just enough information to give us something to gnaw on for a while. Might even keep us from continuing to jump down each others' throats!

Thanks. I wasn't aware of these sites. This is a personal obsession of mine...
There's also the lifehacker website

Kluver, have you gotten your EDC (everyday carry) down to a minimum? My DH could care less about all this case data I throw out at him, but he absolutely must minimize his EDC... :cool:

I'm also not trying to connect an anectodal piece of information with a conclusion

ie: lack of baggage= drug smuggler

My point is that every piece of information needs to be turned over and looked under and thought through. The events of her last day are very signficant in trying to deduce what happened or didn't happen. Was she doing anything different than what she had done before? If so, for what purpose? Did that bring her into contact with a dangerous person, or place?

That's what I thought the function of this board was for: sleuthing, which includes speculation.

Trying to catch up on all the latest and surprisingly found a lot of discussions centering around the drug mule possibilities. I just don't see it as a likely scenario:

1) SS has had money issues for years (filed bankruptcy in 2005), and yet during that time has never resorted to illegal activities. If she did we would have heard about her criminal record. Her and her husband are clean.
2) if she was involved in drug smuggling activities against her will, she would not have left her room and walked for miles for one last photo op before returning home.

Because of these, I just don't see the drug thing as an explanation as to what might have happened.

But people do crack at different times, for different reasons, sometimes irrational ones. Maybe she was trying to get the courage to launch a divorce and was petrified at the immediate money problems she would face on her own. Maybe the only reason she walked over there was to meet a smuggler of something -- and it was not against her will.

I don't think smuggling (of drugs or whatever else) is likely, but with no suspect and no consensus on a theory of the crime, heck, I'll consider it. If we're fair, thoughtful and analytical about it...

I saw someone post about that, was it Yashim or Lavy? Either way, I am fairly certain that diplomats have diplomatic immunity even in cases of murder. I think they are just extradited to their own country where they may or may not face punishment. If it is a corrupt Gov't, I am sure nothing would happen.

Diplomatic immunity is bestowed as a courtesy by the diplomat's country. If the diplomat's country feels that either politically or morally their national should be prosecuted in the country of their crimes, they can and do revoke diplomatic immunity. Diplomatic immunity is put into place to prevent diplomats from being harassed by their assigned country's government or police force. It is NOT a get out of jail free card.

I'm also not trying to connect an anectodal piece of information with a conclusion

ie: lack of baggage= drug smuggler

My point is that every piece of information needs to be turned over and looked under and thought through. The events of her last day are very signficant in trying to deduce what happened or didn't happen. Was she doing anything different than what she had done before? If so, for what purpose? Did that bring her into contact with a dangerous person, or place?

That's what I thought the function of this board was for: sleuthing, which includes speculation.

That's definitely what this forum is for. Some of us, after what seems like an inordinate period of time chewing on information, spitting it out, thinking we're finally getting somewhere only to have the media say, "OOPS! That info we gave you isn't true"- so back to square 1... well, we're a little cranky.

That is NOT your fault, and absolutely, your ideas are welcome.

Don't let ToutCa scare you off. As anyone will tell you- I'm the one to be afraid of, anyway.

Kidding. :)

Please don't stop sharing with us.

Kluver, have you gotten your EDC (everyday carry) down to a minimum? My DH could care less about all this case data I throw out at him, but he absolutely must minimize his EDC... :cool:

Absolutely. Tumi makes a lot of modular good quality EDC items. I'm currently broke, but at least I'm a broke minimalist.

Not sure if these photos of TK have been posted? if so my apologies. He's not as charming looking as the image the media are using. Is this the same guy? The link below says it's him.
article-2275605-176EBFD2000005DC-595_306x423.jpg

article-2275605-176EBFDA000005DC-475_306x423.jpg

SOURCE

Looks pretty darn "charming" to me...heheh. :blushing:

I believe I read last week that there will be no diplomatic immunity in her case

In Turkey, they only take you in if the traffic accident you are responsible for results in death of someone. As long as the lady that got hurt is alive, the council's wife is safe. (I hope she gets well soon.)

However, she fled the scene. That's a strike. They could have taken in. She said she was in shock or may be she needed some time to sober up. :)

This has nothing to do with the government. It is a judicial issue.

Currently, she is not allowed to leave the country.

Another observation:

It is reported the body was found inside that cave or arch-like area photographed from the street with the small hole and the graffitti on it.

However, all the news footage I've yet seen show people climbing up and over it onto the top of the wall where there are lights set up.

And no lights are shining through the hole. If the body had been inside that cave-like structure, it would have been lit up like an operating room as the crime scene investigators went over it with minute detail. Furthermore, the street-side opening is at least chest high on a slightly uphill slope. You would have to bring a dead body in a fireman's carry to get them up that high and likely put them in head first. It seems clumsy and very much more exposed to activity from the street.

Another daylight photo from a helicopter shows crime scene investigators clustered on a flat paved area on top of the wall.

It seems more likely she was left up on top of the wall. I wonder if you can more easily access it from the other side?

Speculation is welcome, as CMac2 said so eloquently.

But we're a tough audience -- we submit each other's theories to rigorous analysis, and call each other out on flawed assumptions or ridiculous conclusions.

My mistakes alone since this case started would probably fill a 3-volume set.

We're tough, but fair.

It is reported the body was found inside that cave or arch-like area photographed from the street with the small hole and the graffitti on it.

Yes.

However, all the news footage I've yet seen show people climbing up and over it onto the top of the wall where there are lights set up.

And no lights are shining through the hole. If the body had been inside that cave-like structure, it would have been lit up like an operating room.

What makes you think the body was still there when they let the news media film?

Or -- alternately -- maybe there were tests that they wanted to do and evidence they wanted to gather for which less light was more suitable.

Turkish LE released several official statements describing the location of the body as inside that cavern structure. There is no reason to think they lied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487