GUILTY Turkey - Sarai Sierra, 33, NY woman murdered, Istanbul, 21 Jan 2013 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me reassure you that there is no way in the WORLD that ANYONE would get $150 for a 14 karat gold chain necklace in resale.

No............way.

If that gold chain weighed .25 tro ounces they would.

Was this always the case...NO....will this always be the case....NO.....

But the price of gold has absolutely SKYROCKETED in the past few years. So in today's market absolutely they would. They would in the US and they would in Turkey....I know because I have sold gold in these two countries....I haven't done so in any other country so I can't speak from experience in those other countries.

But in Turkey in today's market yes gold even lower quality gold is very very valuable! And yields a higher price.

I think your assumptions are based on experience from several years back, not on current gold values.

It really is not worth fighting over Turkish women's love of gold.

The new generations prefer university diplomas.

Snide undertones because I complimented Yahsim? Ok never mind.

Ok I'm going to drop this because to me it's a silly conversation. The point that I am making is that it is not a given that just because she had jewelry on her a thief would take them.

There's many reasons not to, not the least of which is getting busted for selling her pieces. He hid the body so he obviously was thinking about getting caught.

BTW I'm not quite convinced that he's the right perp but I digress.

But please all take this all with a bit of humor. Because when I thought of the argument being made here I began sputtering with laughter.

The idea that a homeless man is going to walk up to a jeweler and try to sell these pieces. His face scratched with nail marks, covered with blood and mud, obviously distressed with pieces of jewelry that have been ripped off their owner, being invited to the back to weigh "troy ounces" and "discuss the market value"

OMG I am laughing so hard right now. Seriously. LOL

So Reality " whaddaya got" he opens his palm to show the necklace and the ring and the dealer says "I'll give you $5 bucks" and he'd take it.

Instead he sees electronics worth hundreds of dollars and grabs those knowing he can sell them for a hundred bucks each. That makes more sense.

I mean come on now, this has gotten silly.

PEACE. :)

What skype calls to the US??? Wow
Did I miss something? When was a skype call made to the US

SKYPE calls from SS's iPad to the US

Once on January 29 (or January 30)

Once on January 30 (or February 1)

Oooh thanks Yashim, a cool question I'd be curious to know if you'd like to ring your sis again is if she would wear 14 karat as a necklace. :)

I will, but after all you've said I'll only tell you she said no. :)

The idea that a homeless man is going to walk up to a jeweler and try to sell these pieces.....

The idea that CIA will be chasing that homeless guy is even more ridiculous.

But it is happening.

I don't think so. Like I said I don't buy the "official story" that this homeless man went bonkers and killed her. I mean, could be, could be.

But there are just way to many issues in this story for that to make any sense. The fact that he's fleeing and all this?

I think he may know who killed her but not have been the one. Or even come upon her as she was dying and freaked out.

I have a couple of thoughts about why the LE is saying this.

One is that they want the actual person to let their guard down thinking that their plan worked.

One is that that the government wants this to look like a random attack that happened in a "bad area" "she shouldn't have been" because of the impact it can have on tourism.

I'm not entirely convinced about that. But I'm entirely convinced that stolen jewelry is not taken by homeless people into jewelers and sold by weight and gold market value.

SKYPE calls from SS's iPad to the US

Once on January 29 (or January 30)

Once on January 30 (or February 1)

Where does it say the calls were to the US. And can you even tell where a Skype call is placed to? Skype is simply software on a machine, talking and videoing to software on another machine, somewhere in the world where there is internet.

I think what the quote said, 3 or 4 threads ago, is that the phone and/ipod were turned on those dates, and Skype accessed one of them. Correct me if my memory fails as I advance in years.

I apologize in advance if my comment seems aggressive, Yashim

Snide undertones because I complimented Yahsim? Ok never mind.

Ok I'm going to drop this because to me it's a silly conversation. The point that I am making is that it is not a given that just because she had jewelry on her a thief would take them.

There's many reasons not to, not the least of which is getting busted for selling her pieces. He hid the body so he obviously was thinking about getting caught.

BTW I'm not quite convinced that he's the right perp but I digress.

But please all take this all with a bit of humor. Because when I thought of the argument being made here I began sputtering with laughter.

The idea that a homeless man is going to walk up to a jeweler and try to sell these pieces. His face scratched with nail marks, covered with blood and mud, obviously distressed with pieces of jewelry that have been ripped off their owner, being invited to the back to weigh "troy ounces" and "discuss the market value"

OMG I am laughing so hard right now. Seriously. LOL

So Reality " whaddaya got" he opens his palm to show the necklace and the ring and the dealer says "I'll give you $5 bucks" and he'd take it.

Instead he sees electronics worth hundreds of dollars and grabs those knowing he can sell them for a hundred bucks each. That makes more sense.

I mean come on now, this has gotten silly.

PEACE. :)

It is silly.because your not understanding that's not the way it would go down to sell gold in Istanbul. Its little booths that are just there to buy gold, and sell little gold coins that are given as gifts. They wold barely look at the person handing over the gold, they'd take it, weigh it, calculate, hand you money,exchange over in about 2 minutes. They wouldn't take you in, sit u down, hand you tea, explain stuff to you...no it would work that way.

And obviously if he was going to sell it, he would clean up first, just like he managed to do before getting on the bus. He wouldn't have gone there straight from the crime scene.

I'm not really trying to point this out to argue with you. But for the sake of accuracy in what his motive may or may not have been, and when analyzing how able one would be to sell off the jewelry if he had taken it.

We should look at the reality of the situation as it applies to Turkey, and not to another country. As this case took place in turkey not another country. And his choices would have been based on the perception of gold and the ability to sell gold, and his interest in doing so in Turkey. Not in whatever country you are thinking its comparable too. So I am frustrated because I am telling you accurate information regarding gold and selling gold in Turkey. Not as an opinion but as a fact.

And you say that its a silly point to be making, but then go and make another inaccurate assumption about how the sale of the gold would happen in Turkey. If that's the way it went down there, your right it would seem very silly. But given that's not the way it would happen there, the ability for the perp to have gotten away with selling gold is not silly at all.

I'll have to check if you can "where" a Skype call is placed to, but you can certainly identify to WHOM the call is made. You have a handle/screen name on Skype and usually a profile. So if a call comes in to SS's sister from SS's Skype handle, those two computers are connected for that call.

Whaaaat? The CIA are looking for a homeless garbage man? The CIA? The CIA? Is that really true...I can't believe this.

When did the CIA get involved in this?

I thought it was the FBI involved. If only because a congressional representative for the district that Staten Island is in is ex-FBI.

It is silly.because your not understanding that's not the way it would go down to sell gold in Istanbul. Its little booths that are just there to buy gold, and sell little gold coins that are given as gifts. They wold barely look at the person handing over the gold, they'd take it, weigh it, calculate, hand you money,exchange over in about 2 minutes. They wouldn't take you in, sit u down, hand you tea, explain stuff to you...no it would work that way.

And obviously if he was going to sell it, he would clean up first, just like he managed to do before getting on the bus. He wouldn't have gone there straight from the crime scene.

I'm not really trying to point this out to argue with you. But for the sake of accuracy in what his motive may or may not have been, and when analyzing how able one would be to sell off the jewelry if he had taken it.

We should look at the reality of the situation as it applies to Turkey, and not to another country. As this case took place in turkey not another country. And his choices would have been based on the perception of gold and the ability to sell gold, and his interest in doing so in Turkey. Not in whatever country you are thinking its comparable too. So I am frustrated because I am telling you accurate information regarding gold and selling gold in Turkey. Not as an opinion but as a fact.

And you say that its a silly point to be making, but then go and make another inaccurate assumption about how the sale of the gold would happen in Turkey. If that's the way it went down there, your right it would seem very silly. But given that's not the way it would happen there, the ability for the perp to have gotten away with selling gold is not silly at all.

Since the jewelry was found with the body I don't really understand the drawn out discussion re: selling good.

Where does it say the calls were to the US. And can you even tell where a Skype call is placed to? Skype is simply software on a machine, talking and videoing to software on another machine, somewhere in the world where there is internet.

I think what the quote said, 3 or 4 threads ago, is that the phone and/ipod were turned on those dates, and Skype accessed one of them. Correct me if my memory fails as I advance in years.

I apologize in advance if my comment seems aggressive, Yashim

No need to apologize. I agree with you. It sounds like "two email messages were sent to the US". And you feel like "come again?"

It is true it said exactly as you've written, but it also mentioned Turkish LE contacted US counterparts for cooperation on this. So that's were I must have gotten the word US. I'm sorry.

Much media hype has surrounded the murder of American tourist Sarai Sierra, whose body was found near İstanbul's ancient city walls last month, but a real scandal in the case emerged when the Cihan news agency last week broadcast photos said to be of a man nicknamed “Laz Ziya,” the homeless man police say is their prime suspect.

The man in the images captured from CCTV footage taken six months ago during a fire near the city walls, Cihan said, was Laz Ziya. The man in the pictures is seen walking out of some bushes half naked. However, it has been established that the man in the pictures is in fact Atilla Elifoğlu, a 62-year-old who lives in a cabin near the city walls and makes a living selling bottled water to passersby in the area.

Elifoğlu told journalists that his life has been ruined since Cihan introduced him to the world as the likely killer of Sierra. He said he had to give DNA samples and answer questions by police following the news stories that mistakenly identified him as Laz Ziya.

http://www.todayszaman.com/news-307594-man-mistaken-for-sierra-murder-suspect-says-life-is-ruined.html

When did the CIA get involved in this?

I thought it was the FBI involved. If only because a congressional representative for the district that Staten Island is in is ex-FBI.

Some paper wanted to throw us a bone I think.

There is a more recent report saying that LE is conducting operations to catch Ziya in Hatay. Ziya is seen with a jacket in his hand. Based on witness statements, LE stated that the jacket was not the one SS was wearing on the day of the crime. When searching for Ziya, they came across with the suspect of another crime. But he escaped too.

:floorlaugh:

I really have serious doubts that these statements are true. Why would LE tell press something like that?

I even doubt Ziya ever existed. That pic may be from an image bank.

Could one of you please call the CIA to stop chasing whoever they are chasing? Z is still in Turkey.

http://www.ensonhaber.com/sarai-sierranin-katil-zanlisinin-yeni-goruntuler-bulundu-2013-02-21.html

Since the jewelry was found with the body I don't really understand the drawn out discussion re: selling good.

It's was based on if someone in turkey would have a valid reason to be motivated to take the gold. And considering I believe there would have been a good enough reason to take the gold ( money and relatively untraceable) , if he stole the me electronics for money why would he have left the gold.

Sarai's husband says he's waiting for authorities to give him an update concerning media reports in Turkey that police are zeroing in on a suspect in her murder.

"I've heard about it as well, only through media, what I've been reading," said Mrs. Sierra's husband, Steven, in an interview with the Advance Wednesday. He said he couldn't comment on the development until he got more information from the authorities directly.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/02/husband_of_sarai_sierra_staten_1.html

Here's something I've been wondering about the earrings (sorry, I realize this discussion was going on several pages ago, didn't have time to catch up today at work.) Could SS have thought maybe it was a robbery attempt and taken off her earrings in an attempt to please the "robber" and satisfy him, hoping for him to go on his way. I guess my thinking is, if I was being robbed, my earrings are probably the least expensive piece of jewelry I wear. She may have taken her earrings off and handed them to the "robber" he holds onto them or puts them in a pocket, decides he wants more jewelry/electronics/etc, and that's when things become physical, in whatever manner it did. He kills her, moves her, and realizes, for whatever reason, he doesn't want the earrings any longer and throws them next to her body as he (presumably "he") is leaving.

Maybe (probably) not even close to what happened, I was just trying to figure out how her earrings could have ended up laying in the dirt next to her...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member