GUILTY Turkey - Sarai Sierra, 33, NY woman murdered, Istanbul, 21 Jan 2013 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If it was solely a blow to the head why was she so disfigured that her husband could only identify her by the pedicured toes on her feet. I think quite a bit has been swept under the rug in this crime and we will never find out what really happened. I still think there is much more to this crime and the reasons behind it than we are being told.

If it was solely a blow to the head why was she so disfigured that her husband could only identify her by the pedicured toes on her feet. I think quite a bit has been swept under the rug in this crime and we will never find out what really happened. I still think there is much more to this crime and the reasons behind it than we are being told.

This is true I'm sorry I forgot about this. I believe Sarai's husbands statement about identifying her body he has no reason to mislead anyone.

From Hürriyet: "... report establishes the cause of the victim’s death as a blow to the head, with no other injuries found on her body aside from a few scratches likely to have resulted from being dragged or carried."

Hürriyet's wording suggests to me they want to stress there are no substantial injuries apart from head wounds. They say "a blow" or "a single blow", maybe because the coroner determined one specific blow as the cause of death, but for me the report doesn't rule out there being more head injuries.

Hürriyet's wording suggests to me they want to stress there are no substantial injuries apart from head wounds. They say "a blow" or "a single blow", maybe because the coroner determined one specific blow as the cause of death, but for me the report doesn't rule out there being more head injuries.

If it was a large rock that hit her in the head, like the temple area - that could disfigure her face enough, I would think. Plus, how many days was it before they found her? So, decomp must have been fairly advanced?

I haven't posted here in quite some time. With no new info to go on for so long, I felt like I was a dog chasing its tail in a circle.

Regarding Z being framed, it wouldn't be that hard. If he lived nearby, then someone would just have to grab his blanket to wrap her up in. Homeless folks often leave their belongs in one place for awhile, until made to move, the weather changes, etc.

I'm not sure that I buy into him being framed, but if by chance it is true, I don't think it would be very hard.

I haven't posted here in quite some time. With no new info to go on for so long, I felt like I was a dog chasing its tail in a circle.

Regarding Z being framed, it wouldn't be that hard. If he lived nearby, then someone would just have to grab his blanket to wrap her up in. Homeless folks often leave their belongs in one place for awhile, until made to move, the weather changes, etc.

I'm not sure that I buy into him being framed, but if by chance it is true, I don't think it would be very hard.

That wouldn't explain Z blood found on SS though.

That wouldn't explain Z blood found on SS though.

Was it blood? DNA? Touch DNA? (<-- I have no idea about this stuff except from what I read on JonBenet Ramsey's case).

Another question: if she was killed by a blow to the head and had no other injuries per the autopsy report, how did his blood get on her? If they got into a struggle, surely she would have more injuries listed on the autopsy report? My point is that - as some of you have suggested - something maybe is going on regarding a cover-up or omission of some facts for some reason.

Turkish news reports are today stating that Laz Ziya took a taxi across the border into Syria on 16th February.

I think it's very possible Z is being framed, though he may have had some involvement. I'm still curious about the LL who didn't immediately contact her family or authorities when her stuff was still there after her checkout time. He claimed in an interview that she paid him in advance for 13 days through AirB&B online. She would have had a key to his apartment, so certainly he would have been concerned, wouldn't he?
Her sister was the one to contact him after she didn't show up in NY, and he told her he last saw SS going out for dinner on the 20th.
He never saw her on the 21st? Not for breakfast, not to discuss the key, not to make certain the apartment was in order? He also put out a statement that she was his guest from the 7th to the 27th.
ABD İstanbul'da kaybolan Sarai Sierra'yı arıyor. - YouTube
(seen at 1:33)

How does that jive with his statement that she paid online payment in advance for 13 days from the 7th?

http://gundem.milliyet.com.tr/cekti...em/gundemdetay/28.01.2013/1661571/default.htm

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/ho...n-20-.aspx?pageID=238&nID=40002&NewsCatID=341

T says he didn't meet her on the day and time they planned. Really? Hmmm... Any surveillance on him that day?
From the beginning, everything seemed so, I don't know, a bit too convenient.
As soon as it became known that she was a mother and just a tourist (not a *advertiser censored* or a drug-mule) and especially once her devastated, loving husband publicly announced that he'd leave no rock uncovered in the search for her body, well, she was quickly found and, just in case there was any question about whose body it was, well, here's her license and her earrings right beside her to prove it's her.
The clothes that were never found probably had the real killer's DNA all over them and her Ipad likely had lots of telling photos.
Several on this board thought the figure walking on the camera didn't look like her.
Someone else involved in the murder might just be being protected, I sure wouldn't be surprised. Let's not forget the lady who went to the police station to offer evidence about a man, a white car, and the hand of a body in the back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=d7l1y2sTK_0&feature=endscreen
and here:
Turist Cinayetinde Sürpriz Tanık - YouTube

Are we ever going to find out what the 95% of evidence the LE claimed to be holding back consists of? Because the 5% they've offered is not entirely convincing. I sure do hope that 95% isn't 95% of 'let's keep this under wraps and hope they don't find out, or hope they just forget' percentage.

The thing is, I don't think the LE is stupid. Quite the contrary. I'm sure they are way too smart and organized to be fooled and that they have, or will eventually have, a pretty good idea of what really happened. I'm just not convinced the public will ever learn the truth.

Time will tell.

Didn't Z say or infer that he wouldn't be alive in 6 months? Is that how they expect to close the case? Mighty convenient.

So... what's the latest? ... This is it? ... Nothing new basically:

-------

Turkey police: NYC woman killed by blow to head

12:28 am, Wednesday, March 13, 2013

ISTANBUL &#8212; A New York City woman who went missing and was later found dead in Istanbul had suffered a fatal blow to the head, police said Sunday.

Forensic experts have not concluded their autopsy report on the victim, Sarai Sierra, but it is "clear" the head injury caused her death, said Istanbul police chief Huseyin Capkin.

NTV, a Turkish broadcaster, says 15 people have been detained for questioning in the case.

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Turkey-police-NYC-woman-killed-by-blow-to-head-4247775.php

I'm still curious about the LL who didn't immediately contact her family or authorities when her stuff was still there after her checkout time. He claimed in an interview that she paid him in advance for 13 days through AirB&B online. She would have had a key to his apartment, so certainly he would have been concerned, wouldn't he?
Her sister was the one to contact him after she didn't show up in NY, and he told her he last saw SS going out for dinner on the 20th.
He never saw her on the 21st? Not for breakfast, not to discuss the key, not to make certain the apartment was in order? He also put out a statement that she was his guest from the 7th to the 27th.
How does that jive with his statement that she paid online payment in advance for 13 days from the 7th?
The thing is, I don't think the LE is stupid. Quite the contrary. I'm sure they are way too smart and organized to be fooled and that they have, or will eventually have, a pretty good idea of what really happened. I'm just not convinced the public will ever learn the truth.
Thanks for digging this out. I agree, we could use some explanation as to what the landlord thought and did from the 21th to ... when did the sister call? However I believe it will turn out Turkish LE has looked into this before they let him off the hook. Maybe this guy is used to rather unpredictable guests ...

Thanks for digging this out. I agree, we could use some explanation as to what the landlord thought and did from the 21th to ... when did the sister call? However I believe it will turn out Turkish LE has looked into this before they let him off the hook. Maybe this guy is used to rather unpredictable guests ...

Well, she had been his paying guest for 2 weeks, minus a short 3 day interval in Amsterdam. He also told the press he thought she was single, so he probably had conversations with her. He also collected her mail in her absence, according to the postman, so he had to talk to her sometime. She doesn't seem all that unpredictable.

When checkout day came and his tenant had vanished, and not returned home (well, he hadn't seen her, according to him) I would imagine he must have had some concern, especially as she was a petite attractive single female and a first-time tourist who didn't speak the language, and he was a 20 something guy who likely knew how a single girl could meet up with trouble, so he might have worried about where she'd gone to, possibly he even felt somewhat protective, if not of her, then certainly of his apartment, since she hadn't returned his key.

Or maybe they didn't get on too well, or she didn't like the apartment? I think the LE interviewed another hostel guy she'd spoken to, so maybe she'd been thinking of moving to another hostel, and I believe Amsterdam guy mentioned something about her not being happy there, but the press is so often inaccurate, so who knows? Yet, all the more reason I would think he'd want his key back or at least be thinking "Where the heck is that woman?" on Jan. 21st.

The sister doesn't say the day and time she called LL, but if you figure that the family waited for the plane to arrive at 4:55 PM on Tuesday the 22nd, and she wasn't on it, this would have been after midnight of Tuesday in Turkey, probably too late to call the LL, considering she may have just missed her flight.

I assume the sister would have contacted the LL at least several hours to a day later once they failed to get in touch with SS via her IPad or cell phone, so probably by Jan. 23rd/Jan 24th and that's when LL would have mentioned to the sister that he hadn't seen SS since the evening of the 20th at dinner time, which puts the conversation at 2 to 4 days past her checkout date, and at a minimum of 3 days past when he claims to have last seen her leaving. So I'm curious when and if he intended to call the police or the family. Unless he just assumed she was off enjoying herself.

From a Jan 27th article:
"She says Sierra was staying at a hostel in a part of Istanbul called Beyoglu. She says she spoke with the hostel's landlord, who says he last saw Sierra Sunday night when she was going to go out for something to eat.
After Sierra went missing, the landlord went to her room and found her passport, phone charger and her clothes. She hadn't packed yet, Rodriguez says. Her family has tried calling her cell phone, but it goes straight to voice mail. She says Turkish police are now canvassing the neighborhood where Sierra was staying. They told the family they've sent her photos to local hospitals and prisons. So far, nothing."
Here's the link:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/01/26/new-york-woman-missing-turkey/1867125/

The article suggests that by 24th/25th the family had contacted the authorities who initiated the investigation into her disappearance.

I think LL and T were both cleared and are not, and possibly never were suspects, but the LE never gives us much to go on so who really knows?
My guess is that they are innocent and just ran for cover, like most people would, not wanting to get involved with a horrific sensational crime.
Because although I can accept that these two guys might be innocent of any wrongdoing, I doubt they were totally clueless about her comings and goings for those 2 weeks.

Perhaps that information is just a small part of that 95% that LE won't reveal. Oh well, if the family is fine with the investigation, I guess we shouldn't question it.

I think it's very possible Z is being framed, though he may have had some involvement. I'm still curious about the LL who didn't immediately contact her family or authorities when her stuff was still there after her checkout time. He claimed in an interview that she paid him in advance for 13 days through AirB&B online. She would have had a key to his apartment, so certainly he would have been concerned, wouldn't he?

http://gundem.milliyet.com.tr/cekti...em/gundemdetay/28.01.2013/1661571/default.htm

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/ho...n-20-.aspx?pageID=238&nID=40002&NewsCatID=341

T says he didn't meet her on the day and time they planned. Really? Hmmm... Any surveillance on him that day?
From the beginning, everything seemed so, I don't know, a bit too convenient.
As soon as it became known that she was a mother and just a tourist (not a *advertiser censored* or a drug-mule) and especially once her devastated, loving husband publicly announced that he'd leave no rock uncovered in the search for her body, well, she was quickly found and, just in case there was any question about whose body it was, well, here's her license and her earrings right beside her to prove it's her.
The clothes that were never found probably had the real killer's DNA all over them and her Ipad likely had lots of telling photos.
Several on this board thought the figure walking on the camera didn't look like her.
Someone else involved in the murder might just be being protected, I sure wouldn't be surprised. Let's not forget the lady who went to the police station to offer evidence about a man, a white car, and the hand of a body in the back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=d7l1y2sTK_0&feature=endscreen
and here:
Turist Cinayetinde Sürpriz Tanık - YouTube

Are we ever going to find out what the 95% of evidence the LE claimed to be holding back consists of? Because the 5% they've offered is not entirely convincing. I sure do hope that 95% isn't 95% of 'let's keep this under wraps and hope they don't find out, or hope they just forget' percentage.

Time will tell.

Didn't Z say or infer that he wouldn't be alive in 6 months? Is that how they expect to close the case? Mighty convenient.
I haven't been on this thread in a while and have been trying to get caught up. I think you make some good points, especially about the landlord. Even when SS made side trips, she probably kept the room reserved since she paid in advance for 13 days. Her family was expecting her to check out on the 21st. It is suspicious that the LL wasn't concerned when she didn't check out at that time.

If the LL thought that SS was single, I doubt she told him that but I think rather he assumed it. Suggests that they didn't talk very much which, on one hand, would explain why he didn't question why SS didn't return to the hostel on the 21st, and he may not have even been aware in advance of her plans to take side trips. So, it could be that she kept to herself and he stayed out of her business. If he is single (I don't remember if he is; I do remember that the man SS stayed with in Amsterdam is married, and she stayed with both him and his wife) and he assumed that SS was single because she was traveling alone, then there's a possibility that the LL had designs on SS that she let him know weren't welcome, and the misunderstanding (to put it mildly) led to a set-up that ended in a violent struggle. I know I've likely missed something, and apparently LE is suppressing much, but was the hostel - and the LL's dwelling - searched by LE for signs of blood? Was surveillance footage along the route that SS took the morning of the 21st reviewed for the LL's or his vehicle's presence?

That leads me to T, whom I also find suspicious. Okay, weeks ago he claimed that he and SS had a sexual relationship; now he says they had no romantic involvement at all - they were just friends (http://english.sabah.com.tr/Nationa...ailed-to-meet-up-with-missing-american-mother). How does he make such a quick and complete turn-around? When T made the previous statements, I suspected he was preparing a defense because he well expected his DNA to be found on SS's body. I wonder if there's a connection between T and the LL, and even Z for that matter.

I do believe that more than one person was involved in the assault and coverup. At first, I believed that SS had stumbled across some illicit business when she arrived early for her meet-up with T, and because SS was taking pictures with her phone, the criminals thought she had taken pictures of them. So, the violent struggle may have been over the phone. If T and/or the LL were involved, or someone else altogether, I think Z is probably a secondary player in SS's murder. He may have been present during the murder, and the perps offered him money to hide the body. Maybe he was the one who dragged her body to a cave and wrapped his blanket around her. Maybe he suffered the scratches on his arms while moving the body and that accounts for blood matching his DNA being found on SS's shirt. Then, Z got scared and fled when he was informed that the perps were setting him up to take the rap for them. If Z was the actual murderer, wouldn't he have done a better job of hiding the body, and even fled the area much sooner?

Again, I've probably missed a lot since I last read here, so I welcome any feedback on the ideas and questions above. I can't find many articles written in English, but I'm grateful for those who went to the trouble of translating Turkish articles into English.

:moo:

I haven't been on this thread in a while and have been trying to get caught up. I think you make some good points, especially about the landlord. Even when SS made side trips, she probably kept the room reserved since she paid in advance for 13 days. Her family was expecting her to check out on the 21st. It is suspicious that the LL wasn't concerned when she didn't check out at that time.

If the LL thought that SS was single, I doubt she told him that but I think rather he assumed it. Suggests that they didn't talk very much which, on one hand, would explain why he didn't question why SS didn't return to the hostel on the 21st, and he may not have even been aware in advance of her plans to take side trips. So, it could be that she kept to herself and he stayed out of her business. If he is single (I don't remember if he is; I do remember that the man SS stayed with in Amsterdam is married, and she stayed with both him and his wife) and he assumed that SS was single because she was traveling alone, then there's a possibility that the LL had designs on SS that she let him know weren't welcome, and the misunderstanding (to put it mildly) led to a set-up that ended in a violent struggle. I know I've likely missed something, and apparently LE is suppressing much, but was the hostel - and the LL's dwelling - searched by LE for signs of blood? Was surveillance footage along the route that SS took the morning of the 21st reviewed for the LL's or his vehicle's presence?

That leads me to T, whom I also find suspicious. Okay, weeks ago he claimed that he and SS had a sexual relationship; now he says they had no romantic involvement at all - they were just friends (http://english.sabah.com.tr/Nationa...ailed-to-meet-up-with-missing-american-mother). How does he make such a quick and complete turn-around? When T made the previous statements, I suspected he was preparing a defense because he well expected his DNA to be found on SS's body. I wonder if there's a connection between T and the LL, and even Z for that matter.

I do believe that more than one person was involved in the assault and coverup. At first, I believed that SS had stumbled across some illicit business when she arrived early for her meet-up with T, and because SS was taking pictures with her phone, the criminals thought she had taken pictures of them. So, the violent struggle may have been over the phone. If T and/or the LL were involved, or someone else altogether, I think Z is probably a secondary player in SS's murder. He may have been present during the murder, and the perps offered him money to hide the body. Maybe he was the one who dragged her body to a cave and wrapped his blanket around her. Maybe he suffered the scratches on his arms while moving the body and that accounts for blood matching his DNA being found on SS's shirt. Then, Z got scared and fled when he was informed that the perps were setting him up to take the rap for them. If Z was the actual murderer, wouldn't he have done a better job of hiding the body, and even fled the area much sooner?

Again, I've probably missed a lot since I last read here, so I welcome any feedback on the ideas and questions above. I can't find many articles written in English, but I'm grateful for those who went to the trouble of translating Turkish articles into English.

:moo:

You make several good points and pose a lot of the same questions that many on this board wondered about, many of which, unfortunately, haven't yet been fully addressed by the LE.
Yes, T was pretty much the number #1 suspect here on the board until Z came along for the reason that he was suspected to be the last to see her and he kept changing his story.

A few days after she went missing, the newspapers reported that T was contacted by her husband. T presumably told her husband he had missed her text and didn't meet up with her on the 21st. But of course he had sent her a text inquiring about her having wireless.
Once her body was found, T reportedly put himself in the spotlight again by saying he had sex with her on the night of the 20th, which agrees with your point of preparing a defense. Once the DNA excluded him, he then did an about face saying through his lawyer that they were not close, not romantic, in fact had only shared Tea, not T.

I don't know if they thoroughly checked LL's and T's apartments and computers for clues as they were not considered suspects (at least the LL wasn't, according to him) and I think they both got lawyers fairly quickly, as anyone would. Her bags were kept by the LL in the apartment until after her body was discovered. I would assume that at that time they did search, as they removed her bags, but I don't know. There hasn't been any evidence suggesting LL was involved, so he may simply be unjustifiably entangled in a mess he had no part of, except that he may have been one of the last to see her, so it's logical he should have been investigated, if only to rule him out. Especially as Amsterdam guy presumably alluded to SS being uncomfortable around him, or something to that effect. Though LL may have just been annoyed at her for changing her dates and cutting her trip short after she arrived, thus keeping him from renting it out to another.

Regarding T, I think sometimes what people don't do is as telling as what they do do.
For instance, if SS and T were IG pals for 4 months, as stated early in the investigation, and then he meets up with her in Istanbul, even if only to show her around, and if she was with him the night of the 20th, as he claimed, and they planned to see the Galata bridge together the next day and he missed her text and never saw her, well, what does he do next?
Or not do?
Wouldn't a normal person who missed a meeting with a friend on their last day in town, (especially if he'd been intimate the night before, as he originally claimed) send a few more texts? Like, 'Hey, where are you?' or 'Haven't heard from you, are you OK.. or mad?' or 'Sorry I missed your texts..Did you make your plane, buy that souvenir, capture that shot, etc? I hope you had a nice trip.' Where are you?' Or did he stop by her house that very night to check on her? Wasn't he concerned at the sudden silence on her part?
Maybe he did do all that, but it's not been reported. If he didn't do any of that, then I'd be suspicious.

And when she disappeared the night before checkout and never returned, did the LL at some point have the lock to his rental apartment changed? That's the first thing I'd do. They never mentioned that he knew T, so I can't help with that. I don't think T or LL are married, or that would have been mentioned, I assume. Maybe someone else knows. You say you don't think she told LL she was single. I agree. However LL did tell the press that she told him she was single, a remark which I found curious, considering he has said so little else about her or the case.

Like you, I find circumstances surrounding 'Z' to be somewhat baffling. I also recall reading that Z did not flee until 3 days after she either went missing or after her body was found. I can't remember, but maybe you or someone else does.As you suggest, wouldn't a murdering vagrant flee his cave as soon as he killed a person, especially after he wrapped his blanket around her (seriously- who does that?) and dragged her 100 feet to another cave?
But why stick around at all? And why then tell family or friends that someone warned you that a crime in Istanbul was going to be blamed on you by the police. Wouldn't it make more sense to keep your mouth shut and act like you hadn't even been in Istanbul or at least try to find someone to alibi you for those days? The guy doesn't seem too clever. You mentioned the scratches. I think another vagrant said he had them. I recall that his friend from home said he saw no scratches on him.

It was reported that the Le said 100% it was his DNA on her shirt. As one poster recently pointed out, 100% is a number usually used to rule out the DNA of an individual.
But they have Z's DNA matching, what? a drop of blood on her shirt, I think. Hopefully they found more than that. Wasn't there blood found covering a wall in a cave? Sounds brutal. I doubt there was a sink around the cave for washing. Is that why her coat was taken? What about the nail cuttings? Any DNA there?
Another point being they didn't have Z in their custody to get proper DNA. Not even a cigarette butt or coffee cup he drank out of. They had a hair on a pillow, or a hair from a family member at a house far from the scene. That's very helpful, but not conclusive, as the hair could belong to anyone in the family.

I think they only looked for SS in surveillance, but not sure. The girl wearing sunglasses on the CCTV: They presume it's her. But the image is too grainy for absolute identification. Posters pointed out that the jacket worn by the girl on the image had something shiny on it (like an emblem) and other images of SS's jacket didn't show anything shiny. Also, it looked like a different purse, worn on the opposite shoulder, and there was a question about the hair length of the woman and the flared pants.
Did the forensics team photograph and/or show the clothing SS was found in to her husband? According to his interview in the Staten Island Advance, her devastated spouse had to make an identification based on her pedicure.

One poster brought up the point: What was the husband advised to bring with him? Hopefully dental records and fingerprints considering the facial injuries made her unidentifiable. I'm certainly not implying at all that it wasn't her body, just that, in such a high profile case, they should be extremely thorough, which should include identifying the outfit she was found in, including her shoes and of course the shirt which presumably had the blood, as definitely belonging to her. Were the tags from an American store? The family would likely know where she shopped. Or not? It's just helpful to know. Clearly, if the girl on the image was not her, or there were serious doubts, then SS might have arrived at the spot by vehicle or another means, at a different time or another day, and by a different hand.

If they assume that they will eventually find Z alive and take him to trial, such evidence seems necessary. Even commenters in the Turkish press seem to doubt this was all Z, or even him at all.

Maybe they will catch Z and he will give them more information. Maybe he will confess and all the speculation will cease. But if that doesn't happen, hopefully the questions you and other posters have brought up, and which I am surmising here, will be answered.
Haven't got high hopes on any of that, though. It's looking to me like a rush to judgement and I fear they might want to close it as quickly as possible. IMO

BBM: I don't think the friend in Amsterdam was married, at least I have never heard that.

Sleuthers, I bring you good news. Laz Ziya, the prime suspect, has been apprehended in Reyhanli township of Hatay province by Turkish National Police two hours ago and currently is being processed for transfer to the custody of Istanbul District Prosecutor's Office.

http://www.ntvmsnbc.com/id/25429366

Sleuthers, I bring you good news. Laz Ziya, the prime suspect, has been apprehended in Reyhanli township of Hatay province by Turkish National Police two hours ago and currently is being processed for transfer to the custody of Istanbul District Prosecutor's Office.

http://www.ntvmsnbc.com/id/25429366

Alp, I'm glad to see you haven't abandoned us! Your comments have been so valuable. While we've been waiting for news, I've been going over SS's IG pics and comments and I noted that she once told a friend that if she wanted to contact her during her trip, that she should send a text to her Ipad. I only mention it because I remember you were asking about her phone cappabilities a long time ago. It does seem, from the comments, that she only used it for photos.
Well, it should be interesting to see what Z has to say.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nothing67
Back