TX - 26 dead, 20 injured in church shooting, Sutherland Springs, 5 Nov 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why he wasn't dishonorably discharged, with that he would not have legally been able to purchase firearms. Does anyone know what it takes to get a dishonorable discharge versus the bad conduct discharge? TIA

DK
http://www.latimes.com/politics/was...s-shooter-was-court-1509937194-htmlstory.html

I'm glad they updated that because the initial reports said it was dishonorable. Ugh. That's how he was legally able to buy a weapon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

So, TX runs background checks at gun shows? We do not.

I usually stay out of the gun-control conversations as they just seem to go around and around while people continue to shoot other people.

But....what's the point of background check laws if background checks are not required? Scratching my head at that one.

jmopinion

So, TX runs background checks at gun shows? We do not.

Yes the one I went to required background checks to buy guns from official dealers. I didn’t see any personal sellers, it was all businesses. There was a lot of talk between patrons about selling. One guy waiting on his background check chatted with my husband about selling him a gun. We both told him no thanks. Much like candy we don’t buy guns from strangers. I don’t know where that has been, what it has been used for. He seemed like a nice enough guy but it’s not worth the risk. I could see if you were into collectors pieces, that may be an avenue to buy but not standard handguns.

We can't blame everything on parents — though they're a comforting and convenient scapegoat for many people. The parents are victims, too.

Seems like a big difference between "here" and "other countries" might be our ready access to firearms.
MOO

I agree. You have around 4.4% of the earth's population, but 42% of all the guns in the whole wide world. You have had 1500 mass shootings (more than 4 victims) since Sandy Hook, averaging one per day. Support for gun ownership has increased in the last couple of decades. Sad to say but it doesn't take a genius to realise this will never stop happening.

Some interesting infographics in this article:
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/10/2/16399418/us-gun-violence-statistics-maps-charts

Closing this thread in a few to open a new one. Stand by:

I usually stay out of the gun-control conversations as they just seem to go around and around while people continue to shoot other people.

But....what's the point of background check laws if background checks are not required? Scratching my head at that one.

jmopinion

Basically background checks are required if you buy from a business. If you buy from an individual, no background check is required. It is on the purchaser to know whether they can legally own a gun.

I don’t know how pawn shops work. I think they are supposed to run the serial number but I have no idea.

I feel for his parents too. I hope they have a strong support system. He destroyed them....though, with time, they will heal.

jmo

Not being snarky, at all, but I don't think that I could ever heal from losing my child, then combined with the fact that he had murdered 27 people, no, I'd never heal.

This thread is closed.

Please continue on thread #2 RIGHT HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members