Found Deceased TX - Alan White, 55, seen leaving LA Fitness, Dallas, 22 Oct 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that numerous stolen vehicles were found in that exact spot in the past certainly lends credibility to the theory that it was some sort of car jacking, although it almost seems too direct a clue....too easy. Like someone put it there knowing others would think it was a car theft thing....

I have the feeling there is much more to it....but just a feeling, could be wrong.

Stereo, rims, tires - depends on much time someone has/had. You'd be surprised at how much car parts go for based on vehicle type.
Very well said.

With enough time and expertise, the seats, and airbags are big market items in the grey or black market. This is especially so if airbags located in the seat blew out a portion when activating.

Likewise, components easily broke in fender benders like head lights, turn lights as well as housings for various lights, then add grills and trim items.

As you said, value depends on the car. Needless to say, Porsche airbags and seat rebuilds are expensive. I shudder to think what Porsche charges for even minor body trim items like lights etc.

Last edited:
The fact that numerous stolen vehicles were found in that exact spot in the past certainly lends credibility to the theory that it was some sort of car jacking, although it almost seems too direct a clue....too easy. Like someone put it there knowing others would think it was a car theft thing....

I have the feeling there is much more to it....but just a feeling, could be wrong.

But if it’s a false clue, you still need to have someone who knows about ‘car theft things.’
I mean, I’d know which side of town was the rough side, but I wouldn’t have any idea where the stolen cars get dumped....

But if it’s a false clue, you still need to have someone who knows about ‘car theft things.’
I mean, I’d know which side of town was the rough side, but I wouldn’t have any idea where the stolen cars get dumped....
Yea, well my theory is that the special investigations unit which does internal investigations for Dallas PD activity being assigned to the case, along with the fact he works for a company that has been auditing DPD staff activities is not a coincidence.

People that work for DPD would surely know that was a known spot for stolen cars....

Yea, well my theory is that the special investigations unit which does internal investigations for Dallas PD activity being assigned to the case, along with the fact he works for a company that has been auditing DPD staff activities is not a coincidence.

People that work for DPD would surely know that was a known spot for stolen cars....

Certainly. I hadn’t realized that there was a connection between Mr White and the DPD.

So, that was my point—that a false clue might be a real clue, too.

We are interrupting your thread to tell you something very important.

We are holding a week-long fundraiser for our wonderful moderators.

The mods volunteer their time to keep Websleuths not only running smoothly but they literally keep Websleuths running period.

Without the mods, Websleuths would not be anything close to the forum it is today. More than likely without the mods Websleuths would not be here period!

CLICK RIGHT HERE AND IT WILL TAKE YOU TO PAYPAL SO YOU CAN DONATE TO THE WEBSLEUTHS MODERATORS!

If you would rather use Venmo the name to use is Tricia-Griffith-14

Please do not donate unless you can truly afford to do so. We completely understand if you cannot donate.
If you want you can leave a message for our wonderful mods! JUST CLICK HERE and you will be taken to a thread where you can leave your message and that has more information on the moderator's incredible work.

From my heart and soul, I cannot thank the moderators enough for their dedication, compassion, and hard work.

Thank you,
Tricia Griffith
PS. Please do not discuss the fundraiser on this thread. The mods will kill me.

MOO the loaner left to be found in a location that DPD Detective Barnes admits is a well known place to car thieves & the police dept. screams red herring. Isn't it just a wee bit odd to find a $50,000+ PORSCHE SUV left in "fine" condition? With a freshly filled tank of gas? And the keys in it? Or is it just me? It is return to the Porsche dealership ready. Has there been a confirmed date stated as to when AW's personal car would be ready?

MOO the loaner left to be found in a location that DPD Detective Barnes admits is a well known place to car thieves & the police dept. screams red herring. Isn't it just a wee bit odd to find a $50,000+ PORSCHE SUV left in "fine" condition? With a freshly filled tank of gas? And the keys in it? Or is it just me? It is return to the Porsche dealership ready. Has there been a confirmed date stated as to when AW's personal car would be ready?
Well I’m not so sure it really was in fine condition (even though that was said. The report posted upthread said it was “stripped.” LE said there was no “evidence” found inside but he didn’t say it wasn’t stripped or that it was fine.

upload_2020-12-17_20-28-25.png

But Alan wasn’t an auditor. He was a systems guy, like IT stuff I think. I just don’t think he would be someone targeted for something like that.

Re: the footage

I agree that he could have gone in because the first pump was faulty, then pulled forward and paid at pump #2. But, I think it's the pattern of mask wearing and headlights that is throwing me off for that scenario.

As presented to us, the detective is suggesting he pumped his gas, put his mask on and entered the store briefly, returned to the car, then departed. The edited footage has him outside his vehicle at pump #2 without a mask and headlights on. We do not see him take the mask off or use the second pump.

For him to be at pump #2 with headlights on and NO mask, then he had to have turned the car back on and gotten out of the vehicle, taking off his mask sometime during that process.

From my observation (at least here in CA), most people take their masks off inside their vehicle. I'm thinking it could be a possibility that he started to drive away, then realized his mask was still on, so got out and put it in his bag, possibly in the backseat or trunk?

Now the above scenario would work with both moving to pump #2 or staying at pump #1. What's in favor of staying at pump #1 is that he would have had to use his card before attempting to gas up. There's only one purchase, no? If he had gone to pump #2, his card would show an authorization attempt and incomplete purchase on pump #1, then a successful transaction on pump #2.

So if nothing was wrong with the pump, why put on a mask and go in the store for 15 seconds? The best I can offer (from personal life experience) is that maybe he tried to go to the restroom, found it locked, and returned to his vehicle. Small bladders are a curse.

EDIT: I also can't find him on video in the position next to the car that is shown in the thumbnail image of the Fox clip posted here. Can anyone give a time stamp? This is where he is to the left of the vehicle, but at pump #2.

Today's anti-theft technology on new vehicle smakes it harder to steal a sitting car (but certainly not impossible).
That's why carjacking has surged. (Consider this opinion as I read it a few years ago and can't track down the source, sorry).
I’ve read the same thing. The following article is about carjackings in Baltimore, but I imagine the motives are the same everywhere.

Carjacking becoming a youth 'sport' as numbers climb

Police in Baltimore note that the overwhelming majority of suspects are young men or juveniles, emboldened by the relative ease of the crime, and a belief that if they're caught, the courts will not treat them harshly.

Some see the increase as an unintended consequence of better antitheft security. Electronic key fobs and codes, required to start newer-model cars, have made them more difficult to steal — unless the driver is present.

And it's easier to resell a car that has been driven away with its keys than one that's been hotwired, its windows smashed and its steering column busted.

"Stealing unoccupied cars has become increasingly difficult in recent years owing to improved anti-theft technology, and doing so can be both time-consuming and dangerous," researchers from the University of Texas-Dallas, Georgia State and University of Missouri-St. Louis wrote in a 2003 study. "The car must be broken into and hot-wired, often to the accompaniment of a blaring alarm."

Michael G. Cherbonneau, a University of North Florida criminologist who studies carjacking, said it's easy to understand how carjacking can grow among teens in a city.

It's a group crime, and if one of them learns the consequences of being caught are minor, it's passed on to other teens.

They are at or near driving age, and are seeking independence and autonomy.

Some might carjack someone because they feel a driver with a new or desirable car is "showing it off."

"Carjacking is a way to get really both things that they want," Cherbonneau said. "Take you down a notch in terms of status and show you that you're vulnerable, but also steal what you have."

Which could strongly indicate the perp is from the Hidden Hills neighborhood.

Yes! How strange. Definitely moved the car forward. Haven't seen any video of that movement, but maybe that's why he went into the store (because there was a problem with the first pump). IMO, while it doesn't "answer" why he went into the store, putting changing pumps together with going into the store makes more sense.

I think it’s the other way around. I think he first pulled up to the front pump. Video shows car at front pump and Alan walking behind car toward pump. The headlights are on, and I think that indicates he just drove up. I think there was issue with front pump, so he backed up to the rear pump. Video shows him pumping gas at rear pump. And after pumping gas he went inside. Video shows him wearing mask and walking away from vehicle as it sits at the rear pump. As he is walking toward store, you see the running lights, I believe they are called, flash on the vehicle, which would indicate he was locking it. Guessing he had key fob in hand and pressed lock button as he walked away.

I think this is one case that will be solved, and likely with video evidence and the $Reward$. I'd be splattering reward posters all over the area where that car was found and at key locations such as the auto salvage shops, pawn shops, catfish restaurant, and near landfill. These are tough times for alot of people, and $20K would be a big windfall.

If I were a member of his family, I would hire someone who wouldn't seem threatening to that community, and have them go scouting and chatting with the locals as they distributed flyers. A "promoter" of sorts. Promote that reward. I'd go so far as to offer a bounty for bringing the criminals in, and a bounty for pinpointing Alan's location. I don't know if "bounties" are permissible, so using that term loosely.

Money talks. Especially now. Promote that reward!

Amateur opinion and speculation

Small update from Gray. It's helpful to see the area the car was found on Google Earth.
To save folks some time, the Alan White content starts at about the 30 minute mark. I'm sure there are many fans of this crime show around here, but a show with nearly four hours of watching someone scrolling through Google Earth and other web sites would make my head hurt.

To save folks some time, the Alan White content starts at about the 30 minute mark. I'm sure there are many fans of this crime show around here, but a show with nearly four hours of watching someone scrolling through Google Earth and other web sites would make my head hurt.
For me, the location intelligence of the maps is vital. LE and other agencies use this type of location intelligence to see patterns, and once they apply data against that - boom. It's powerful.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Oh snap! I meant to add the time stamp to my post, and I totally spaced out and forgot. I have been preparing my house for my (very small) family Christmas dinner, and my head has been in the clouds.

Thank you @Curious_in_NC! :)

Something just hit me that makes sense. They are looking for a missing person not a murder suspect. The family aren’t pushing for search’s, it’s not in the fbi missing persons register and in general there is little social media /public push. I’m wondering if he’s fallen off a wagon - maybe drugs and the family know this.

Not trying to damage the mans reputation but it’s very possible.

Welcome to Websleuths, Mcciaramc1!

While I have difficulty in balancing AW hitting the gym and then falling off a wagon all in the same morning, I do find it intriguing that not only did his husband get worried within 15 minutes of AW not returning home, he also hired a PI shortly after his disappearance - it does seem like there's something the family is suspecting, but I'll be danged if I can figure out what it is.
---
About the confusion of the 'stripped vehicle' on the police blotter, I have to put that down to a coding thing, stolen yes, stripped no - as the niece said there was mud on the tires, the brother said the vehicle was in fine shape when found and now LE says the keys were inside.

But why carjack/steal a vehicle only to dump it in a vacant lot known for that sort of thing and leave it un-stripped with the keys inside? Oh the conundrums of this case!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing-CC