TX TX - Alan White, 55, seen leaving LA Fitness, found deceased, Dallas, 22 Oct 2020 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What my other takeaway from this article was the following:

“In addition, White’s phone was found in the car and police were waiting on warrants from Apple to unlock the phone.

Then separate warrants were required for each application on the phone.”

His husband didn’t know the code to unlock it, or is some law against his husband providing it? It could be because some privacy laws, I have no idea.
Any lawyer around, please?
I thought it was mentioned in one of the articles that the husband tried to access some other electronic devices like the computer and everything was password protected. The phone might be the same.

Link please? I am interested in learning about this as all I have read is that tracking is an "opt in" option with the in-car systems (and a money stream for the manufacturer).

Here is what I found from the other case about OnStar. Let me see if I can find anything about Porsche Connect specifically.
It basically sounds like the subscription gives you the ability to have an app to track it yourself and other things, but the actual gps on the car always tracks for data purposes and LE can access it? I thought it was interesting too.

OnStar Tracks Your Car Even When You Cancel Service

Here is what I found from the other case about OnStar. Let me see if I can find anything about Porsche Connect specifically.
It basically sounds like the subscription gives you the ability to have an app to track it yourself and other things, but the actual gps on the car always tracks for data purposes and LE can access it? I thought it was interesting too.

OnStar Tracks Your Car Even When You Cancel Service
But GM (OnStar) changed their policy:
OnStar Reverses Position, Won’t Track You if You Cancel Service | TIME.com

My goodness, I must apologise for omitting so many new bits of information in my post - I quickly scanned through it and I only copy-pasted the part that stood out to me.
Well then, for a quick summary:
  • Car wasn't traceable by dealer: GPS either not built-in, not activated, or disabled
  • Alan's iPhone was found inside the vehicle: No word on whether the SIM card was still in
  • Police needed a warrant to unlock the iPhone: Husband apparently couldn't access it?
  • Police also requested/secured warrants to analyse data from used apps
  • Not yet defined as a homicide: As LE is awaiting results from SWIFS (forensic institute)

Yes this is completely new information about the phone having been found in the car! I can’t believe that months later they still haven’t accessed the information they need from it. Combined with the fact that they didn’t search the nearby woods properly this seems like really poor detective work.
According to the article, it's not known if LE has accessed info on AW's recovered phone yet:

"In addition, White’s phone was found in the car and police were waiting on warrants from Apple to unlock the phone. Then separate warrants were required for each application on the phone. There has been no word yet from police where they were in that process or if it revealed any clues." BBM.
Alan White’s body found - Dallas Voice

There's been a lot of discussion about locking keys in the car. The thing is on most cars that have an electronic fob with a removable key there is some procedure to lock the key in the car. For example, you're at the beach. You want to lock the car but you don't want to take a chance on getting the expensive key fob ruined by water, so you pull out the metal key and lock the rest of the fob in the car. It's often a complicated procedure to prevent accidentally locking the keys inside. For example, on my old car I could lock the fob inside if I tried to lock and close the door three times in a row. It wasn't a Porsche but I would be surprised if there wasn't some process to leave the fob inside and lock the car.

My keys get accidentally locked in my car if I leave them in the car (while parked in the garage for instance) and my husband walks past it with his set to my car in his pocket. If he's in close proximity the doors automatically lock because it senses his keys. (usually happens when he's leaving and walks past my car to his car, so I'm left carless. Drives me nuts and has happened on more than five occasions.)

Regarding the warrants for the phone apps, for one thing it strengthens the evidence for eventual use at trial to cross all t’s and dot all i’s. There’s a higher chance that a judge will admit the evidence into the trial record if a warrant accompanies it and the information comes from a neutral source with a strong chain of custody. Also, I’m sure Apple requires a warrant before they will release any information. All IMO.

Makes curious if it was a random miss and the vehicle didn’t have one, or if it was disabled in some way.

I wonder if when the battery totally drains on a vehicle, is power also lost to the GPS? Is there auxiliary power on the GPS unit that powers it independently from the car battery? That's where my mind is going.

His actual phone being left behind in the car makes me think the perpetrator (IMO, there will be at least one) didn't want to risk possibly being tracked by it. It seems less likely there will be clues in the Apps.
They didn't want a nice phone, didn't want the car, what did they want and why?

Do I remember that the car was described as being found backed into the spot between the bushes? The last video of Alan shows the front of his car. There is no front license plate. Backing the car into a tight spot in a remote place makes it seem like they were trying to hide that license plate.

Leaving the key in it makes me think the perp or his friends (gang?) were coming back to drive it.

I'm not from this area but familiar with DFW. This is the last place Alan or anyone driving a Porsche to go the gym would drive voluntarily at any time day or night. Imo, the car was parked by a car thief and Alan was probably killed for his vehicle.

I agree that it was probably a young person.

His actual phone being left behind in the car makes me think the perpetrator (IMO, there will be at least one) didn't want to risk possibly being tracked by it. It seems less likely there will be clues in the Apps.

My best guess is, what they/he/she wanted was to completely distance themselves from Alan and anything connected to him, because, they killed him.

jmo

They just wanted him dead. A targeted hit as I've speculated before. All MOO.

I thought it was mentioned in one of the articles that the husband tried to access some other electronic devices like the computer and everything was password protected. The phone might be the same.
Yes, the phone and other electronics might have been password protected. I was musing about that and found it strange the husband wasn’t able to unlock it/them, which means he didn’t have the password. IF that’s true, to me it says something about the trust level in their relationship. More so when people are doing business together like flipping houses or whatever else.
That’s the reason I asked myself that maybe trust wasn’t the issue but maybe legally he couldn’t provide it? I have no idea about that.

IMO

I was musing about that and found it strange the husband wasn’t able to unlock it/them, .....IF that’s true, to me it says something about the trust level in their relationship.
IMO
Snipped and BBM for focused response.
Or, it showed healthy personal boundaries, respect, and confidence in the relationship.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Or, it showed healthy personal boundaries, respect, and confidence in the relationship.

Everything is possible only they would know how they relationship was filled in.
I don’t see why having each other’s passwords for emergencies would breach healthy boundaries, wouldn’t show respect and confidence in the relationship. What would be unhealthy and without respect would be to go snooping in each other’s devices as to control each other.

Yes, the phone and other electronics might have been password protected. I was musing about that and found it strange the husband wasn’t able to unlock it/them, which means he didn’t have the password. IF that’s true, to me it says something about the trust level in their relationship. More so when people are doing business together like flipping houses or whatever else.
That’s the reason I asked myself that maybe trust wasn’t the issue but maybe legally he couldn’t provide it? I have no idea about that.

IMO

One interesting thing I’ve observed here on WS is the VAST difference in opinion and practice that sleuthers have in terms of sharing their passwords with their partners / spouses. Plenty of sleuthers say “of course my partner has access to my phone” while others say “no, of course my partner doesn’t have the code to my phone” and yet others say “no, my partner doesn’t have the code to my phone - but its in an envelope in our filing cabinet in case of emergency”.

In this case, I don’t think that the fact that Alan’s husband did not have his phone code indicates anything. Similarly, I don’t think it’s odd that he started to worry quite early after Alan didn’t return on time after the gym.

I’m hoping COD is conclusive and gives LE strong direction on what happened here.

In this case, I don’t think that the fact that Alan’s husband did not have his phone code indicates anything. Similarly, I don’t think it’s odd that he started to worry quite early after Alan didn’t return on time after the gym.

I’m hoping COD is conclusive and gives LE strong direction on what happened here.
Snipped for focused reply and including OP @Orgona
Agree this seems to be a binary choice. IMO, either approach works well as long as both parties agree to it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back