GUILTY TX - Alanna Gallagher, 6, Saginaw, 1 July 2013 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really try not to judge victim's parents parenting style but I am so shocked by this. I just can not comprehend how any parent can allow their 6 year old on their own without a buddy let alone not worry from 2pm to 8pm. To not know if they've eaten, to not know exactly who's home they are playing at, to know that if it's sunny they have sun block reapplied, not fallen and hurt or something. I can't get my head around it. 6 years old is so, so young to fend for yourself.

I don't know about the law in the US, but in the UK it is illegal to leave a child under 12 alone at home for any length of time (and I consider 6 hours a length of time!). If a child should not be left alone in the home for that long, they shouldn't be alone outside the home for anything like that either without being supervised or at the very, very least 'check-in'.

OK rant over. I do truely feel so incredibly bad for this family and for what happened to this little girl. It's beyond comprehension. I don't blame the parents, no one should go through this. I just really wish people would think of all the dangers that children can run into. It only takes one bad thing to happen to change a child's life forever.

Oh yes!
The mandated check-ins!
A must!

gia2 ITA with you! The parents are responsible for keeping a child safe, happy and WATCHED!

That could explain why the tarp remained around her when she was released from the truck?...:waitasec:

A rush job, inexperienced, no rope or twine to tie up the tarp around her. JMO

Two more things stood out for me in this article...

1.). AG was reported as "not being fully clothed"... May explain she indeed had on the underwear (purple?) as reported in one or more articles...

2.). the neighbor, Derinda, who so freely gave some less than positive statements to the reporter... Declined to give her OWN last name... :no:

JMO

BBM...I am taking this comment with a grain of salt for the moment. If a neighbor was aware, or suspected, the parents had an unusual arrangement, there were probably people in the community who had a problem with it on religious or moral grounds. She could have well been one of them. Or she could be telling the truth...hard to say at this point.

I'm looking at my 5 year old and wondering who in their right mind would let a child that age be unsupervised outside. It's just insanity and bad parenting IMHO.

If the parents aren't directly connected to her death, I hope they're charged with neglect for allowing this to happen. JMO :banghead:

The belt detail makes me think she was abducted or killed in a vehicle or neighbor's home and needed to get rid of her ASAP. It could even be a belt the perp was wearing at the time. But Alanna's hands and feet were tied so did the perp run out of rope/twine or did he use some other material to do the hands/feet binding. I hope the belt helps to identify the perp. He would have changed clothes immediately, IMO. Tarp and belt missing. I'm thinking local. It's the very beginning of summer holiday here in Canada. When did school finish in the area? If it's a sexual offender/pedo, he's been watching and waiting for a kid to grab since then. The Saginaw neighborhood looks great and so kid friendly to me. I can't wait to find out more info and whether the area is safe. JMO

I have to admit, I am overly protective to what I believe is a fault of mine. I need to work on it. I think what is important is teaching our children safety. There are roughly 100 stranger abduction that fall in the category of Jessica Ridgeway for example. Being on WS's I am overly paranoid. Chances of harm coming to a child are much greater from accidents, family abuse, abuse by known individuals, etc. I don't believe in living in fear but I don't always practice it. I don't think that it is anymore dangerous now than when I grew up. It just wasn't talked and reported about back then. Neighbors did a lot to watch out for each others children more so, than they do today.

If a pedophile wants to get their hands on a child they will do so regardless of how protective or cautious parents are.

Hopefully the perp used his own belt and they can get DNA or fingerprints from it.

Good thinking. Since perp was obviously not planning on getting caught we can hope they did not take care to not get prints all over all those items , tarp, bag, tape, belt, etc. There should be loads of prints and fibers and other things. Let's hope the crime lab does an ace job on this one !

BBM I meant to say perp was not planning on her being found so quickly. I'm working on the assumption that the street was not her INTENDED final resting spot :( and perp thought she would never be found once she got to the field, ravine, lake, etc. wherever they thought they were driving to. mooo of course

I really try not to judge victim's parents parenting style but I am so shocked by this. I just can not comprehend how any parent can allow their 6 year old on their own without a buddy let alone not worry from 2pm to 8pm. To not know if they've eaten, to not know exactly who's home they are playing at, to know that if it's sunny they have sun block reapplied, not fallen and hurt or something. I can't get my head around it. 6 years old is so, so young to fend for yourself.

I don't know about the law in the US, but in the UK it is illegal to leave a child under 12 alone at home for any length of time (and I consider 6 hours a length of time!). If a child should not be left alone in the home for that long, they shouldn't be alone outside the home for anything like that either without being supervised or at the very, very least 'check-in'.

OK rant over. I do truely feel so incredibly bad for this family and for what happened to this little girl. It's beyond comprehension. I don't blame the parents, no one should go through this. I just really wish people would think of all the dangers that children can run into. It only takes one bad thing to happen to change a child's life forever.

Nobody has said parents last saw child at 2:00.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking at my 5 year old and wondering who in their right mind would let a child that age be unsupervised outside. It's just insanity and bad parenting IMHO.

If the parents aren't directly connected to her death, I hope they're charged with neglect for allowing this to happen. JMO :banghead:

BBM

I'm sorry, but I don't agree. Do I let my son run the roads unsupervised? No way. Do I feel my neighbor, who lets his daughter out alone, should be charged with neglect? No. There is no bad intent. It's a case of differing parenting styles. His daughter is well taken care of and loved. Honestly, if he was ever charged with neglect for this reason, I would be very concerned about government over reach.

I have to admit, I am overly protective to what I believe is a fault of mine. I need to work on it. I think what is important is teaching our children safety. There are roughly 100 stranger abduction that fall in the category of Jessica Ridgeway for example. Being on WS's I am overly paranoid. Chances of harm coming to a child are much greater from accidents, family abuse, abuse by known individuals, etc. I don't believe in living in fear but I don't always practice it. I don't think that it is anymore dangerous now than when I grew up. It just wasn't talked and reported about back then. Neighbors did a lot to watch out for each others children more so, than they do today.

If a pedophile wants to get their hands on a child they will do so regardless of how protective or cautious parents are.

I actually had to learn in therapy how to stop being overprotective.
That's not saying the therapy worked on my anxiety the entire time my kid was outside! The one time he wasn't on time returning home ...15 minutes... I was beyond panicked! I was shaking all over, my mouth was so dry I couldn't have spit for a million dollars, the 911 operator couldn't understand me, my neighbor had to grab the phone from me. I imagined him dead and in a ditch every horrid scenario imaginable flew through my mind ...a neighbor found him like 6 minutes later. It was the longest 20 minutes of my life!

I actually had to learn in therapy how to stop being overprotective.
That's not saying the therapy worked on my anxiety the entire time my kid was outside! The one time he wasn't on time returning home ...15 minutes... I was beyond panicked! I was shaking all over, my mouth was so dry I couldn't have spit for a million dollars, the 911 operator couldn't understand me, my neighbor had to grab the phone from me. I imagined him dead and in a ditch every horrid scenario imaginable flew through my mind ...a neighbor found him like 6 minutes later. It was the longest 20 minutes of my life!

I understand!

BBM

I'm sorry, but I don't agree. Do I let my son run the roads unsupervised? No way. Do I feel my neighbor, who lets his daughter out alone, should be charged with neglect? No. There is no bad intent. It's a case of differing parenting styles. His daughter is well taken care of and loved. Honestly, if he was ever charged with neglect for this reason, I would be very concerned about government over reach.

I agree. Plus how do you determine what is neglect in these cases and what isn't? Is there a certain radius a child can go alone at a certain age that is allowed?

Does anyone find it interesting that Opal Jennings went missing less than 2 miles from the intersection where Alanna Gallagher was found? Now there was an arrest in Opal's case but it's been on my mind of the close proximity of these two cases. It could be just a coincidence but I wonder if there's anyone out there that might be a tie between the two.

It's very hard to know the right thing to do as a parent. Keep them under your wing until they graduate and move out on their own and you will likely have an ill-equipped young adult who will make some very bad decisions. Let them fend for themselves at too early an age and you could, unfortunately, end up with an injured or dead child. And each child is different, every neighborhood is different...every situation is unique. The problem with parenting is you never know if you are doing it right until it's too late. You don't know until your child is an adult and even then, it's not always parental involvement that is responsible for the person they turn out to be.
Please, let's not be harsh with these parents unless we hear they deserve it. They just lost their child in the most horrible way imaginable.

To me it does not sound like she was just running loose and wild all the time. Neighbors have said she played with their kids. When my kids were younger and wanted to go play at a neighbor's ( it's a long walk to all of their friends' houses and at the time i did NOT have the two RSO's living on the street like today ) I would call the mom and say he's on his way and she would know to keep an eye out for him. In this neighborhood the houses are so close together , if she said she's going to play with " sally, suzy, lisa, etc ' and they lived a few houses down and she walked down there and had done it in the past, I do not see the problem. Is it a little careless...perhaps....but negligent, I don't think so. We have an expectation of freedom and safety from PREDATORS and not all people recognize the evil we see on this forum every day. I'm sure every parent whose child was taken by a predator beats themselves up plenty for their mistake of taking their eyes off the child for just a split second and as someone said upstream , it' s the PERPS fault and the only the PERPS fault .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member