GUILTY TX - Alanna Gallagher, 6, Saginaw, 1 July 2013 - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I stand corrected: asked my hub & he said most LE carry .40 or .45. It's military that has 9 mm. Sorry about that!

My elderly mother carries a .45.

She has held a concealed weapons permit for the last 30 years.

Rock it granny!!

What is the premise? (Curious.)

When I took my classes the instructor stressed that if self defense was your priority, you were better off not having a CHL:

Texas Department of Public Safety issues CHL licenses, and their purpose in doing so is in the interest of public safety. In short, when crimes happen the police aren't there to protect us - they generally show up after the fact. DPS expects holders to act responsibly (for example, you can't even present your firearm unless perp has exposed theirs first; you are expected to use it to protect others present if perp has displayed it and can face charges if you do not, etc) if they are present when crime involving an armed perp occurs in their presence.

Regarding self defense, I can use it if I need to, but:

1. if somebody has already presented a gun in a one on one situation (i.e., mugging in a parking lot), reaching for my gun will probably do me more harm than good - at least in that moment
2. simply because I have a CHL, I can't pull it simply because I feel threatened UNLESS they have pulled one first.....w/o CHL I might get more leeway on that, but with one I absolutely will not

For some background on Texas CHL laws:

a. testimony from Luby's massacre that got TX CHL legislation started:

Dr Susan Gratia-Hupp - Survivor of the 1991 Kileen TX Lubys Shooting Massacre - YouTube

b. Texas DPS "FAQ's" re: CHL

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/faqs/index.htm

Can someone help me? What's MSM?

MainStream Media (i.e., local or national NBC, CBS, ABC affiliates.....or other credible journalism sources - not blogs, rumor rags, etc)

And just to encourage you to stick around, I had a few of my initial posts deleted when I first joined (only a couple weeks ago). No one is trying to be mean, the rules are just very different here from other forums. I've only belonged to one other before (had nothing to do with crime), and there was much more leeway w/ folks getting into a debate before things got modded. Just read the rules and try to stick to them and you'll be fine. That said, we all slip from time to time. Just don't take it personally.....and WELCOME!

My elderly mother carries a .45.

She has held a concealed weapons permit for the last 30 years.

Rock it granny!!

Ha! I wish my mom would pack! She's in her 80's and wont even let us get her an alarm system for her home! Not even a dog!

MainStream Media (i.e., local or national NBC, CBS, ABC affiliates.....or other credible journalism sources - not blogs, rumor rags, etc)

And just to encourage you to stick around, I had a few of my initial posts deleted when I first joined (only a couple weeks ago). No one is trying to be mean, the rules are just very different here from other forums. I've only belonged to one other before (had nothing to do with crime), and there was much more leeway w/ folks getting into a debate before things got modded. Just read the rules and try to stick to them and you'll be fine. That said, we all slip from time to time. Just don't take it personally.....and WELCOME!

I like what you said here! When I first joined I found the rules a bit confusing.
just hung in there tho. Its worth it!

When I took my classes the instructor stressed that if self defense was your priority, you were better off not having a CHL:

Texas Department of Public Safety issues CHL licenses, and their purpose in doing so is in the interest of public safety. In short, when crimes happen the police aren't there to protect us - they generally show up after the fact. DPS expects holders to act responsibly (for example, you can't even present your firearm unless perp has exposed theirs first; you are expected to use it to protect others present if perp has displayed it and can face charges if you do not, etc) if they are present when crime involving an armed perp occurs in their presence.

Regarding self defense, I can use it if I need to, but:

1. if somebody has already presented a gun in a one on one situation (i.e., mugging in a parking lot), reaching for my gun will probably do me more harm than good
- at least in that moment
2. simply because I have a CHL, I can't pull it simply because I feel threatened UNLESS they have pulled one first.....w/o CHL I might get more leeway on that, but with one I absolutely will not

For some background on Texas CHL laws:

a. testimony from Luby's massacre that got TX CHL legislation started:

Dr Susan Gratia-Hupp - Survivor of the 1991 Kileen TX Lubys Shooting Massacre - YouTube

b. Texas DPS "FAQ's" re: CHL

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/faqs/index.htm

Respectfully BBM...these 2 lines seem contradictory. If it is worse to pull a gun when someone has already pulled one on you, yet you are only allowed to pull a gun AFTER someone has already pulled one on you...then what is the point of carrying a gun?

OT: please excuse my poor grammar & sentence structure this evening. While posting & searching for links was also making dinner & bathing babies. Priorities, I know....!!

Respectfully BBM...these 2 lines seem contradictory. If it is worse to pull a gun when someone has already pulled one on you, yet you are only allowed to pull a gun AFTER someone has already pulled one on you...then what is the point of carrying a gun?

That's the Catch 22 and why my instructor said not to bother if ONLY for your own self interest. Watch the testimony I linked and it may make more sense....

Let me know if it doesn't and I'll expand once kiddos are in bed.

Thanks for asking though: it's a great observation!

I feel very sorry for TH mother also. Can you just imagine finding out your son has been shot in the face and is the prime suspect in a capital murder case regarding the little girl living 2 doors down? I would be beside myself times a million!
My question is......why does she have an attorney?

To my knowledge, no one has said where, how, or who it was registered to.

IMO, judging (okay, "assuming") from FB posts: a wholly irresponsible gun owner.

I think when we know who the gun owner is we will have some much needed info. It could be a stolen weapon. I am certain LE is /has traced it.

I feel very sorry for TH mother also. Can you just imagine finding out your son has been shot in the face and is the prime suspect in a capital murder case regarding the little girl living 2 doors down? I would be beside myself times a million!
My question is......why does she have an attorney?

Maybe because it was her gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member