GUILTY TX - Alanna Gallagher, 6, Saginaw, 1 July 2013 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is odd to me, is that an 18 year old boy could identify the sex of a dead body based solely on seeing hair. Another oddity is that said 18 y/o would drop to his knees and begin to cry after finding a dead body.

I have teenagers and I'm quite confident that would not be their reaction. Their reaction would more than likely be them jumping around and hollering "Holt S*** it's a body! Dude! It's a freakin' body, go get mom!"

Glad you brought these things up.:blushing: I wasn't sure if I should.

One of the boys said something like....When I look over there I think about her being dead and suffering...... hummm suffering?

They made me pause.
Along with the comment: paraphrasing here:
It's a girl.... I agree with you. She had short hair. IMO the teen couldn't have looked in the bag, saw Alanna's hair and knew it was a female.
Next the falling to his knees. >>> Again agree with you. 18 year old boys I know and helped raise...no way would they fall to their knees and cry.
That IMOO is movie stuff.
again just moo/

Weird, I wonder how the streets were where she was found? They seemed clean to me. What about moving day? Was Monday July 1st a day where people would be moving in/out of the area? Thank you so much for your insight!

Some other locals in the area have said that trash is usually picked up early in this area. I don't know about the area where she was found, it's a couple of miles from Bridle Trail where I was at. There are at least some rental houses on that street so it's always possible that someone was moving in or out.

Where was it someone accused them of this? I guess I must have missed that part.

I just wrote I thought it was an odd reaction. Based on my real life experience it IS an odd reaction to me. If you go on ahead and speak to any investigative cop who's GOOD at what they do, they will tell you that sometimes they develop a 'hunch' about someone. It's this hunch or feeling that leads them to FOLLOW UP a little farther with someone. Doesn't mean this person is guilty it just means that something they said, something they didn't say, some kind of body language made this investigator say..."Hmmm that was ODD." and pay closer attention to it.

A little more was said than just that it was an odd reaction. Which may be why the post was removed? IMO, there was a clear inference that the 18 year old could have been involved. Hence Mitsana's post weighing that posdibility, and mine. See below.

I had similar thoughts about the oddness of the reaction and, of course, being the person to find a body provides some cover for incidental DNA. So, I went "hmmmm..." as well. But I just didn't see the scooter get-away as a viable option. And if we were considering such a perp, where was the crime committed? An 18 year old might have access to a car, but the logistics are still hard to fathom.

I think he was able to see a great deal more detail than he has made public.

The youngest Carbuff would probably react about the same way. I don't know if he'd go to his knees, but he'd definitely cry.

I can see a teenager having a panicky "oh no!" type cry at seeing a body, if that makes sense. Maybe not actually crying and sobbing, but cried out in shock.

There's really no telling how anyone might react if they came upon a scene like that.

We've seen her with many different hair lengths in photos. Some of the photos it would have been long enough to stick out of the bottom of a plastic bag that was taped around her neck

Even with that you wouldn't be able to tell if it was a boy or a girl without seeing the body. You can't tell sex by the length of the hair .....only. :moo:

I just would like to double-check something with you... what if the truck were speeding and took two sharp turns (one very sharp) in opposite directions in quick succession? Also, consider that the bundled-up body might roll like a cylinder rather than slide. Based on your experience, could that cause a body to fall out the back of a truck (without a tail gate)?

Also, if not, do you have any thoughts on the belt?

I think this is an interesting idea. In that case, do you think it indicates premediation (to give time to look up what family murders look like)? Or do you think that kind of thing is common knowledge with all the crime shows on TV these days?

I saw something else interesting in Saginaw yesterday. I was sitting at a light and I saw a truck go past at a high rate of speed on Saginaw Main Street. It was a white truck and it had two tarps sitting up in the back of the truck. They were blue tarps wrapped with a red belt or strap around the middle. They were upright leaning on the cab of the truck. I wasn't fast enough to get a picture but it did strike me as strange.

Matou, I am local and I drove past Alanna's street on the day she was found. On that day, on BridleTrail, at 1:20pm, trash was all over the place. Boxes, bags of trash, some bins, but massive amounts of trash all up and down that street. Alanna's street is Babbling Brook and it is off of Bridle Trail.

Interesting....Alanna's body was placed on the street the day folks set out their trash bags, etc.

I just would like to double-check something with you... what if the truck were speeding and took two sharp turns (one very sharp) in opposite directions in quick succession? Also, consider that the bundled-up body might roll like a cylinder rather than slide. Based on your experience, could that cause a body to fall out the back of a truck (without a tail gate)?

Interesting thought. I'm picturing a speeding truck sort of zig zagging and swerving down the road? Perhaps. I'm not convinced you could get up sufficient speed on any of the roadways where she was found. I went back and looked at the map again. There aren't any straight always to get up that kind of speed. My DH got a huge dent in the back side of the cab of his truck, beneath the back window of the cab, from a beer keg once. 1. It was very heavy, 2. It was slick and smooth, 3. It was rounded, 3. It went forward when he stopped, banging into the cab, not backward out of the tailgate.

As another poster commented, you'd have to accelerate extremely rapidly for something to slide or roll backward out of the bed of a truck. And I definitely think the tailgate would need to be missing or open, and no ordinary car (or "production vehicle" as another poster put it) can accelerate that fast. We've carried all kinds of loads around in that truck, and I've ridden back there at highway speeds. It's acceleration or deceleration that would cause stuff to move. Or wind. We lost a wardrobe box on an access road once because one thin edge poked up over the top of the cab where the wind could catch it. A 50 pound body down in the cab, even in a tarp wouldn't catch that kind of wind on a residential street. He also lost a mattress once: again wind.

I presented you scenario to him, and we looked at the map together.

He will allow, somewhat reluctantly: IF someone loaded a body foot first, so that the majority of the weight was toward the tailgate; and IF they were zigging and zagging swerving violently back and forth, and IF there was no tailgate a body *might* work its way toward the end and then momentum, and the lopsided weight of a torso going overboard first and pulling the feet along after, rather than the other way around then maybe with really reckless speeding this could happen.

But he also says that if HE were loading a body into a truck bed, he'd put it head and torso first because that's how you carry a person, you hold the weight, set that down, and the slide the rest of the body into the bed. He says we've had loads of loads back there that never move at all. Most of the time they don't. We bring plastic bags of groceries home in the truck, and they never move. We do take care to put them near the cab, not out on the end near the tailgate.

He has driven trucks with both a solid tailgate and the kind with a mesh net. He says, "stuff doesn't fall out of trucks."

Also, if not, do you have any thoughts on the belt?

My understanding of the belt is that it was outside the tarp. I figure it was there to hold the tarp on. I have speculated that her hands may have been bound with another belt. Or that here were ligature marks on her wrists from having previously been bound with a belt. (We know the SW collected lots of different items that COULD have been used to bind her. This makes me think she had marks on her wrists and/or ankles that indicated she had been bound at some point. Investigators were trying to match, or rule out a match to similar objects in the home)

I think this is an interesting idea. In that case, do you think it indicates premediation (to give time to look up what family murders look like)? Or do you think that kind of thing is common knowledge with all the crime shows on TV these days?

Not at all, just quick thinking in the face of an accident. and an educated reaction, and perhaps a search or two to confirm likely scenarios for familial murders and how to avoid looking "typical" I consider myself and all the crime reading and TV show watching I do. I wouldn't have to stop and search in the face of an accident. If I wanted to cover it up, I'd know what a typical familial child murder looks like. Not that I can think of a motivation to cover up an accident.

Even with that you wouldn't be able to tell if it was a boy or a girl without seeing the body. You can't tell sex by the length of the hair .....only. :moo:

No, but you can assume. I don't think it's strange at all, that a teen boy saw longer hair, and went straight to thinking it's a girl. It's a totally reasonable assumption, in my opinion. I don't run into many long haired boys around here. I think even ** I ** would have assumed it was a girl.

I saw something else interesting in Saginaw yesterday. I was sitting at a light and I saw a truck go past at a high rate of speed on Saginaw Main Street. It was a white truck and it had two tarps sitting up in the back of the truck. They were blue tarps wrapped with a red belt or strap around the middle. They were upright leaning on the cab of the truck. I wasn't fast enough to get a picture but it did strike me as strange.

Some folks have speculated upthread that the "belt" used to bundle that tarp was some kind of utility strap, not a piece of clothing. That is possible, but it seems less likely to me since in the search warrant they were expressly looking for men's belts of a particular size range.

My husband just read the tox report to me for Cory Monteith. Sad that they can get THAT back in 48 hours, but nothing on Alanna. Unless of course hey do have her tox back and they just aren't saying.

No, but you can assume. I don't think it's strange at all, that a teen boy saw longer hair, and went straight to thinking it's a girl. It's a totally reasonable assumption, in my opinion. I don't run into many long haired boys around here. I think even ** I ** would have assumed it was a girl.

Even if it was random, he'd have a 50-50 chance of being right.

Interesting....Alanna's body was placed on the street the day folks set out their trash bags, etc.

Interesting, that seems to be what happened to Ahlittia North's body as well. (Info from today's press conference starts here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216011&page=17)
Ahlittia is also 6 and described as a friendly outgoing girl who would have opened the door for a stranger.

It's a good long haul from DFW to Jefferson Parish, LA, though. Is it a direct route? Is there anything that might connect the towns?

My husband just read the tox report to me for Cory Monteith. Sad that they can get THAT back in 48 hours, but nothing on Alanna. Unless of course hey do have her tox back and they just aren't saying.
There was no foul play in his death. In her death, they said they could be looking for poison. I could be wrong, but I think that involves testing samples of tissues and organs. WAY more involved then a standard overdose.

I presented you scenario to him, and we looked at the map together.

Here's a route that I was speculating about:

http://goo.gl/maps/sG8dq

Imagine a truck speeding down Woodcrest, hooking that sharp right onto Roundrock, possibly fishtailing a bit then hooking the left onto Cindy, the intersection where the body was found.

Also, I asked about the belt, because I would assume that a clever perp would not intentionally leave his own presumably DNA-filled belt at the scene. There are other possibilities, just wondering which one you favored if you felt the body was left there intentionally (belt = strap, belt was new, perp made a mistake, perp intentionally used someone else's belt to frame them, perp grabbed something from the home but he came from elsewhere, perp had access to a belt from a thrift store and used it as a red herring, etc).

Interesting, that seems to be what happened to Ahlittia North's body as well. (Info from today's press conference starts here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216011&page=17)
Ahlittia is also 6 and described as a friendly outgoing girl who would have opened the door for a stranger.

It's a good long haul from DFW to Jefferson Parish, LA, though. Is it a direct route? Is there anything that might connect the towns?

I haven't followed Ahlittia's case. Thank you for bringing the link here and for pointing that out. I need to goggle map the girl's locations. imo

Maybe it is different in Texas, but here some boys have longer hair. Long as a girl's. Elementary age boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper