TX - Atatiana Jefferson, 28, fatally shot at home, Fort Worth, Oct 2019 *officer charged*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I agree. But they had been told that it was unusual for the door to be open at that hour, so if they saw a mess through the open door, maybe they thought something was up.
Assume they’d all gone to bed at 10 pm. 8 year old at Auntie’s house having a sleepover and wakes up, wants a drink, turns on the light and is wandering about the house. Neighbor says, hey that’s weird, might be a problem, I’m concerned for my neighbor. Calls the cops, then the cops shoot the 8 year old for getting up to get a drink.

What in the actual F is happening in this world.

How did the police not hear anything from inside the house with the door open, like normal family sounds? It couldn't have just been silence if they were up playing video games.

So how did this unfold, and why were they sneaking around? That they were so quick to release the body cam makes me wonder what the police angle is, and if they have something else that they consider mitigating circumstances. Just because there was a gun in the house doesn't mean she was pointing it at them, and even if she was, it was her home and she didn't know who they were because they didn't announce themselves. So what happened? What did the police think was going on?
I’ll give you 3 guesses why they were sneaking around, the first two don’t count and the last guess is a color...

It's siege mentality. This has really become a problem since 9/11. It's like We the People are enemy combatants and they're Marines. A lot of federal dollars poured into police depts post 9/11 and the training is inappropriate, military style. Police are CIVILIANS yet they often to the public as civilians, indicating they've forgotten their role and think they're soldiers.
What I think is the biggest problem is the term “perceived threat”. We are at the point where that simply isn’t good enough any more. These idiots don’t have any idea what a threat actually is.

Top headline at DailyMail U.S. News

White Texas police officer fatally shots black woman, 28, inside her own home | Daily Mail Online

Fort Worth PD press release:

19639506-7566899-Pictured_the_press_release_statement_detailing_the_incident_betw-a-14_1570937136941.jpg

Is this the house?

19639262-7566899-image-a-1_1570921953839.jpg
I am so angry at the press release. “Perceiving a threat” are you serious? A woman at her own residence approached her window as people were circling the perimeter of her house!

Assume they’d all gone to bed at 10 pm. 8 year old at Auntie’s house having a sleepover and wakes up, wants a drink, turns on the light and is wandering about the house. Neighbor says, hey that’s weird, might be a problem, I’m concerned for my neighbor. Calls the cops, then the cops shoot the 8 year old for getting up to get a drink.

What in the actual F is happening in this world.
Didn’t the neighbor call the non-emergency line even?

ETA: isn’t that why the PR said open structure call instead of 911 call?

I’ll give you 3 guesses why they were sneaking around, the first two don’t count and the last guess is a color...

I don't think it's a race thing. Statistically, far more innocent white people are killed by cops but it doesn't usually make the news. I can understand that people - especially black people - perceive that blacks are being targeted, though, and a TON of money has been poured into the effort to make it appear so. Not only is that a tragedy for race relations but it's divisive when people of all colors need to come together to fix this horrendous threat. If it's only made about race, that won't happen and that was done by design.

Last edited:
Comment I saw elsewhere:

Absolutely ridiculous. I see two big problems. One, police shouldn’t be able to base their actions on anonymous phone calls or reports. Two, police shouldn’t be allowed to go on people’s property without permission. The property owner didn’t call them to report a crime. A neighbor called to report the front door open.

Those are good points. Any well meaning (or NOT) person could send cops to your house and you, a loved one (including your dogs) are dead.

OMG.
I can’t even believe we are here again.
Through the window?!

I’m in the midst of cancer treatment at the moment, but if someone were to start a blog to shine light on every single one of the incidents you’ve cited in this thread, I would do my best to contribute content.

I’m sure something like this already exists, I can’t imagine it does not. However if someone confirms it does not I would also be willing to contribute.

I’d start with Ethan Saylor.

Absolutely ridiculous. I see two big problems. One, police shouldn’t be able to base their actions on anonymous phone calls or reports. Two, police shouldn’t be allowed to go on people’s property without permission. The property owner didn’t call them to report a crime. A neighbor called to report the front door open.

Those are good points... But what if someone is elderly and they live alone? Lets say that a neighbor haven't seen them in a few days and is worried that something has happened. So, the neighbor calls the police to do a welfare check. Now, imagine that the police would have no power to go on people's property. What do you do then in a situation like that? Call that person's family member to go check on them? What if they live far away and by the time they come the person would be dead?

Those are good points... But what if someone is elderly and they live alone? Lets say that a neighbor haven't seen them in a few days and is worried that something has happened. So, the neighbor calls the police to do a welfare check. Now, imagine that the police would have no power to go on people's property. What do you do then in a situation like that? Call that person's family member to go check on them? What if they live far away and by the time they come the person would be dead?

Knock on the door? I would start with that.

This woman had more right to shoot the intruders in her back yard than they did to shoot her. Yet, she’s dead. And they’re going to be on paid vacations for who knows how long.

I do think, however, it’s FINALLY at least POSSIBLE the officer will face actual consequences for killing her. It’s embarrassing and horrifying that it’s taken this long for actual consequences to even be a remote possibility.

The statement by the PD is infuriating. Whatever happened to going to the door and announcing yourself as an officer to ascertain if there is an issue? These officers by walking around her property in the dark and unannounced created a high level of threat for their safety. They created it, not her. It is the middle of the night and you are having to negotiate the darkness, uneven ground, any items on the lawn and scaring the daylights out of someone in the house. We need to get back to some common sense actions when officers encounter a situation where there are other options besides pulling a gun.

I understand that people who support the police 900000% will say this is a horrible mistake and not criminal. I disagree. This was preventable. We have cops on the street who don't know how to tackle a tense situation with anything other than a gun. This was a woman who was in her home minding her own business who never had an encounter with this officer before he shot her.......sounds familiar, sounds like Botham Jean. These kinds of situations need to end.

And we have another fairly tone deaf memo from the department. Great. Let's talk about perceived threat. And, let's talk about if this woman shot this officer as he skulked around her home, unidentified and brandishing a gun. She was threatened by unknown intruders. We know where she would be. Why isn't he there?

Knock on the door? I would start with that.

This woman had more right to shoot the intruders in her back yard than they did to shoot her. Yet, she’s dead. And they’re going to be on paid vacations for who knows how long.

I do think, however, it’s FINALLY at least POSSIBLE the officer will face actual consequences for killing her. It’s embarrassing and horrifying that it’s taken this long for actual consequences to even be a remote possibility.
I think they will say he saw her point a gun at him and he will walk. I’m cynical. But IMO it’s no accident the gun was mentioned immediately and the PR says he saw her and “perceived a threat.” We witness that be enough every single day for the officer to go free.

Fair point, as well. Thing is, even the SCOTUS has said it is NOT the job of police to protect anyone so they shouldn't be doing this anyway. Obviously, other means need to be worked out.

I think they will say he saw her point a gun at him and he will walk. I’m cynical. But IMO it’s no accident the gun was mentioned immediately and the PR says he saw her and “perceived a threat.” We witness that be enough every single day for the officer to go free.

He shot her so fast. Also don't see where had time to see her weapon or perceive any threat.

Given the larger context (Amber Guyger in neighboring Dallas) I think he's getting charged with murder. I also say TSHTF in Dallas-FT Worth. I really fear what's been set in motion with the actions of this fool cop - and I mean that like this:

Shot heard round the world - Wikipedia

However she had every right to be pointing a gun at him. Castle doctrine. So that might make it messier.
Unlike the officer though she would have ensured her target was an intruder before shooting.
I think he will be charged. I don’t think there is another option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MG89