TX - Atatiana Jefferson, 28, fatally shot at home, Fort Worth, Oct 2019 *officer charged*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
However she had every right to be pointing a gun at him. Castle doctrine. So that might make it messier.
Unlike the officer though she would have ensured her target was an intruder before shooting.
I think he will be charged. I don’t think there is another option.
I think he will be charged also. The question is for what...

This city needs immediate policing change. It is not safe for people or officers if nothing changes.

I don't know the salaries of cops around the country and agree that that GOOD cops should not be underpaid and all of that screening and training must be done. There are a lot of grossly overpaid public employees and officials and money should be allocated where it needs to be instead of where it is.

Not sure about police departments around the country but an NJ police chief , under trial for a hate crime, draws a $105,000 annual pension. That's more than what most people make holding regular full time jobs.

It's siege mentality. This has really become a problem since 9/11. It's like We the People are enemy combatants and they're Marines. A lot of federal dollars poured into police depts post 9/11 and the training is inappropriate, military style. Police are CIVILIANS yet they often to the public as civilians, indicating they've forgotten their role and think they're soldiers.

Thank you. My thoughts exactly. The police have been trained to think they are the soldiers and we are the civilians. While we are at it, we also need to remove police designations such as lieutenant, sergeant, etc.

While 9/11 was certainly a factor, I believe this wave of us-vs-them kicked off during the tough-on-crime era of the 80s.

Let’s say this lady was pointing her gun at him.

My thought?

As she should have been!!!

He was on HER property, UNANNOUNCED. Why didn’t he knock on the front door like a civilized person?

Her “crime” seems to be leaving her front door open with the screen door closed and a light on. How dare she. <sarcasm>

This is insanity.
If she were pointing her gun at him then the cop would have just said 'fear for my life blah blah blah' and case closed.

I know people are wondering about the door being open. Let me just say this - the day this happened here in Texas we just had our first big cold front come down from the north bringing us the coolest weather we've had in months. This summer has been excruciatingly long. Our temperatures here have been at or over 100F for weeks on end. Finally FINALLY! we've had some relief with cool temperatures and you can bet a lot of windows and doors are wide open right now. This cold front is fantastic - everyone is feeling happy and frisky and many are airing out their houses with some fresh air. As I sit and type this our windows and doors are wide open. (It's still pitch black out, probably not a good idea.)

I don't know if that was the case here, but it certainly is a possibility.

Last edited:
Those are good points... But what if someone is elderly and they live alone? Lets say that a neighbor haven't seen them in a few days and is worried that something has happened. So, the neighbor calls the police to do a welfare check. Now, imagine that the police would have no power to go on people's property. What do you do then in a situation like that? Call that person's family member to go check on them? What if they live far away and by the time they come the person would be dead?
I've seen cases where it was already really hard to get police to go inside and investigate because if they don't think something is amiss they can't just break inside. In this case they saw the door open so that presumably would allow them to further investigate.

“Too bad that doctor wasn’t a surgeon and killed that patient - but he used sterile procedure like a pro!”
I don’t disagree, physicians and nurses, who kill patients due to gross negligence should be charged. A malpractice payout isn’t enough.

Back to topic: this cop was grossly negligent. I will point out; cops are trained to “shoot to kill”. Physicians aren’t trained to “cut to kill.”

It’s all about intent.

Btw:
Christopher Duntsch,MD, of (Dallas, Texas) was convicted of of intentionally harming patients and killing two during surgery. He received a life sentence in 2017.

What happened is horrible, and there needs to be punishment. In order to actually change things, I think we do need to look at the perceptions and procedures, as well as the very real fears that police have.

The video cam may have been released to make the police's case that, no, the police were not there to just shoot a black person. They walked past an open door which they had been told was "never open" at 2:30 am, saw a bunch of stuff on the floor, which may have indicated an invasion or struggle, and therefore made the call that it was safest to assess the situation further by walking around the property rather than announce themselves at the start. For all they know, someone is being held hostage in there, and they need more information about what's happening (Obviously, it's okay to have your door open at any hour, and it's okay to have stuff on your floor at any time. These aren't reasons to be shot. But the combo may explain the sneaking around and fear)

But I don't see how they will be able to defend the itchy trigger finger and failure to announce who they are before shooting, other than the "feared for my life" response. And sadly, that may work yet again.

Last edited:
I’m just waking up and came across this case in my effort to find more info on the Joshua Brown case. Haven’t had a chance to catch up but wanted to chime in on my first reactions. Which is WTH? LE goes to a home to do a welfare check and doesn’t first announce themselves through the front door?
And then shoot through a closed window? I don’t know yet if she had the gun in her hand but if she did she certainly had the right to shoot since she suspected an intruder on her property and couldn’t see him in the dark and he never announced he was LE. Then after he directs her to put her hands up he appears to give her no time to respond before he shoots. He’s only been on the force just over a year. I have to wonder if training is subpar. Doesn’t seem like he followed protocol for a welfare check. And I have to wonder if there are officers somehow making it through training that just aren’t cut out to be LE officers.
I’d also like to hear more info on the welfare check call. Seems odd to me that a neighbor would call for one just because the door was left open. That’s happened in my home too once where I come down in the am to find kids have left lights on and door wide opened. Also happens if we happen to be up that late and just haven’t gone to bed yet. Why the alarm here to call the police?
All just my initial thoughts and reaction and opinion.

Sounds like a good young woman, though I wonder about the 2:30 am video games with an 8-year old and why the door was open according to the neighbor who called. Maybe a sleepover with the nephew? I'd still be scared to leave the door open at that hour, though, especially with a child around. Also, 5 officers seem a lot for a welfare check, so maybe there was more going on than we know.

Poor neighbor - he was just trying to help. I would have done the same. Poor nephew, who had to see this, and poor, poor sister who is just heartbroken :(
It’s the weekend. Some people just don’t have strict rules. Happened over the summer with my cousin and her 8 year old. She had another cousin also 28 staying with her and tho the 8 year old was put to bed the visiting cousin got him up and they played video games in the middle of the night. Poor choice but not a crime and certainly not criminal behavior. And kids leave doors opened all the time.
But yes. I’m looking forward to hearing more about the call from the neighbor. That just doesn’t make sense. 5 officers responded but it wasn’t a 911 call? Is that normal for that area? Do they always respond in numbers? Moo

Our furnace went out two weeks ago and we had our front and back doors wide open for air circulation until we all were in bed, which for my husband is probably around 2-3am. I just keep thinking that if these cops showed up at our house one of us would be dead right now too. This is so scary.

It’s the weekend. Some people just don’t have strict rules. Happened over the summer with my cousin and her 8 year old. She had another cousin also 28 staying with her and tho the 8 year old was put to bed the visiting cousin got him up and they played video games in the middle of the night. Poor choice but not a crime and certainly not criminal behavior. And kids leave doors opened all the time.
But yes. I’m looking forward to hearing more about the call from the neighbor. That just doesn’t make sense. 5 officers responded but it wasn’t a 911 call? Is that normal for that area? Do they always respond in numbers? Moo
I still want to know whether the neighbor even called 911? I’ve seen reports that he actually called the non-emergency police phone number. Either way 5 officers is absurd for a non-emergency welfare check.

Last edited:
Answering my own question: this article said he called the non-emergency number.
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/fort-worth/article236067328.html
Jefferson worked in pharmaceutical equipment sales, Merritt wrote Saturday on Facebook.

“Before law enforcement goes about their pattern of villainizing this beautiful peaceful woman, turning her into a suspect, a silhouette, or threat, let me tell you about [her,]” Merritt wrote. “She was a premed graduate of Xavier University. She was very close to her family. She was the auntie that stayed up on Friday night playing video games with her 8 year old nephew.”
[SMB]
“Her mom had recently gotten very sick, so she was home taking care of the house and loving her life. There was no reason for her to be murdered. None. We must have justice,” Merritt wrote.

Jefferson was pronounced dead at the scene. The officer, whose name the department did not release, was placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation, police said.

Smith, who has lived on the street for 50 years, said he had been trying to be a good neighbor, calling police on a non-emergency number so they could check on the residents. But he was wrestling with his emotions after a sleepless night.

“I’m shaken. I’m mad. I’m upset. And I feel it’s partly my fault,” he said. “If I had never dialed the police department, she’d still be alive.”

D
Answering my own question: this article said he called the non-emergency number.
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/fort-worth/article236067328.html
Right. So what’s the protocol? Do they always respond to non emergency calls in numbers? If not then why did they for this non emergency call?

ETA: And where were all the other officers while this one was lurking in her backyard? Why did he not call for one of them as soon as he saw someone in the window?

D
I think they will say he saw her point a gun at him and he will walk. I’m cynical. But IMO it’s no accident the gun was mentioned immediately and the PR says he saw her and “perceived a threat.” We witness that be enough every single day for the officer to go free.
No. Not good enough. He had no business being in her back yard. There was no threat until he went there. He caused the threat. Front door was wide open. There was no need to go to backyard. He should have announced himself through open front door. Only need to go to backyard is if the front door had been closed and locked and he couldn’t gain entry or response. He never even attempted that. MOO

ETA:I think this time they will conclude he did not follow proper procedure and protocols.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KazPsi