TX - Atatiana Jefferson, 28, fatally shot at home, Fort Worth, Oct 2019 *officer charged*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of people in TX have guns in their homes. Even if she had a gun, she had a full right to do so inside her home. The police officer never even identified himself as such and he shot her so fast, I don't see how she had any time to respond to any of his commands.
@jjenny I have spent all day posting and saying just that. I’m only anticipating a defense to his “perceived threat” at this conference. I have said she had every right to have gun in hand in her own home when there is an unannounced intruder in her backyard. I do hope for the sake of the people of Ft Worth and the sake of good police officers the Ft Worth police department does not try to defend this officers actions and instead announce an arrest. They should be concerned for the safety of the community and their officers right now. Comments on their twitter feed are worrisome. MOO

I live 15 minutes south of Fort Worth. This news stuns me. How can something like this happen?

This isn't the first time, either. I remember hearing about an elderly gentleman, around 70 years old, who was in his garage in the early hours of the morning. His neighbor, I believe, had called about a possible burglar in the area.

The police actually killed this guy in his own garage. He was unarmed and minding his own business. It didn't make the national news. It was white officers and a white victim.

EDIT: I found some information where the family of the elderly man is trying to sue the police department. It is disgusting to me that the police are trying to disparage this dead man and make it look like he was an aggressor in his own home against this trespassors (these cops). They were admittedly at the wrong house in the middle of the night. We have "stand your ground" law here. Can you imagine if this now dead guy had dared shoot one of these police officers (which he clearly had the right to do)? Panel Urged to Advance Case of Elderly Man Killed by Cops

I don't think these crimes are racist. I think that there was be a lack of training in these precincts.

Now that I have read the follow-up about the case with the elderly man, I don't think these cops are above "spinning" the story to avoid taking blame.

I don't know what happened with the other case; however, there apparently needs to be a major review from top down in both the Dallas and Fort Worth Police Departments.

Last edited:
I live 15 minutes south of Fort Worth. This news stuns me. How can something like this happen?

This isn't the first time, either. I remember hearing about an elderly gentleman, around 70 years old, who was in his garage in the early hours of the morning. His neighbor, I believe, had called about a possible burglar in the area.

The police actually killed this guy in his own garage. He was unarmed and minding his own business. It didn't make the national news. It was white officers and a white victim.

I don't think these crimes are racist. I think that there was be a lack of training in these precincts.
Lack of training or some cops scared of their own shadows. Justine Damond was killed after she called 911 because she believed someone might have been assaulted outside her home, and then approached police car. I am not sure the cop even saw who was approaching the car, he probably just shot at whoever was approaching.

Lack of training or some cops scared of their own shadows. Justine Damond was killed after she called 911 because she believed someone might have been assaulted outside her home, and then approached police car. I am not sure the cop even saw who was approaching the car, he probably just shot at whoever was approaching.
I'm not sure what kind of testing (to include, psychological) that they have or if they have to go to a police academy; however, if they are that fast on the trigger, they don't need to be cops. There is definitely something wrong somewhere.

Last edited:
But even if she did, she has a full right to do so in her home. So she wouldn't have been doing nothing wrong.
Texas has "Stand Your Ground" Law. => In Texas, individuals have no duty to retreat when they have a reasonable belief they are in danger of bodily harm or death if they're threatened in their home, in their vehicle, or at their job.

Texas has "Stand Your Ground" Law. => In Texas, individuals have no duty to retreat when they have a reasonable belief they are in danger of bodily harm or death if they're threatened in their home, in their vehicle, or at their job.

Wait could this protect the cop?
“At their job.”

Steven Dial on Twitter

IMO this tweet from the press conference cites three major issues:

1) Why didn't police park in front of house?
2) Why didn't police announce themselves?
3) Why shoot into room with small a child?

Please note IMO these are just some of the fatal mistakes made but to have them all mentioned together as part of this pr is just unbelievable. Again IMO but police should never "hide". It's their very presence that can keep people safe including themselves. They should want homeowners to know that they are the police.

Very troubling. I look for an arrest to be made this coming week.

Moo

Expert: Officer who killed woman acted like he was responding to burglary, not welfare check
When an officer walked through the backyard of a house on Allen Avenue early Saturday, his actions mirrored those of an officer investigating a burglary, according to a law and policing expert.

However, the person who asked police to go the house told dispatchers he just wanted an officer to simply check on his neighbor because her front door was open.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/fort-worth/article236163388.html

Allison Harris on Twitter

The officer who fired the single fatal shot will be interviewed by police tomorrow. Police did not say when tomorrow. Police say they will do another press conference tomorrow and will take questions from reporters then, but haven’t set a time.

When was the first press conference? I missed it. Thanks.

Allison Harris on Twitter

We just received the 911 call Atatiana Jefferson’s neighbor made, asking police to do a non-emergency welfare check, because, as he says, “It’s not normal for them to have both the doors open this late for that long.” Dispatcher is calm, saying an officer is on the way. Allison Harris on Twitter

NOTE: The above is a quote from a tweet from reporter so I copied as is but the call was a non emergency 311 call.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member