Found Deceased TX - Athena Strand, 7, last seen at home, 200 block County Rd 3573, Paradise, 30 Nov 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The News guy deleted that tweet about her doing this more than once. So I don't know if that still stands. The Aunt has said this was not like her. The stories for this case are all over depending on who's interview you watch or what MSM you read. Which I cannot believe can be helping in any way. This sucks.
Wow. His deleting that tweet is rather telling.

Live press conference at 2:00 pm.

#UPDATE 2pm live news conference from police just announced. We will carry it LIVE on FACEBOOK - Will find it here.

7-year-old Athena Strand is still missing this morning.
Many who went out to help in the search yesterday I'm told just sat and waited for instruction which never came.
It seems law enforcement is handling a lot of the efforts here.
We are being told about 50 acres was searched yesterday around her father and stepmother's home in Paradise, TX which is where she was last seen.

I have been told Athena's mother has full custody of her but because of health issues had sent Athena to stay with her father and stepmother. Athena was supposed to return home to her mother's house this month.

Police say Athena was last seen by her stepmother November 30th. The stepmother says after an argument she couldn't find Athena.
Athena has reportedly run off before... however some of Athena's family members - including her Aunt - say Athena would never have taken off on her own.

Please SHARE!!! As we all know, the more eyes looking for this little girl the more likely she is found!

I’m not wanting to think anything happened by the family in this case. I remember “running away” a few times in Athena’s age because I didn’t feel like I was being heard or I didn’t like what my mom had to say. We argued to the extent that I probably said things like “I hate you”, “you’re not nice” or “you’re the worst mom ever”. I usually packed a bag and walked away, and my mom would be on the phone within minutes to the area neighbors to keep an eye out. The phone chain worked well in those times. Usually a neighbor would call and say I was in their treehouse, and my mom would come get me. In this rural an area I don’t see the phone chain but I hope all the sheds and forts have been well searched. I’m hoping for a miracle for Athena. Come out, sweetie, so we know you’re safe. ❤️
I “ran away” at this age once too. I packed my little red suitcase and proceeded to leave . Made it as far as the end of the driveway when Mom turned off the carport light and I dropped my little bag and fled back to the security of my extremely dysfunctional home. The fear of the dark overrode my pain and anger of what waited inside.

I’m dreading the outcome of this case. And hope above hope that my opinion about what’s happened here is wrong.

On Thursday night, Strand's mom Maitlyn Gandy took to social media to thank those who've helped try to find her daughter.
She wrote in part:

However, the Wise County Office of Emergency Management has since stated that they "will not be utilizing volunteers to assist with the search," for Strand.

From your link ... "Athena is still missing and we are now over the 24 hour point. Thank you to my wonderful family and the large support from the Wise County community. We are continuing our search. I ask that everyone pray.. pray some more, continue to pray, and never stop praying. I cannot live without my baby and I need her brought home safely to me. Athena didn't walk away or disappear on her own. I will not give up or stop until I have Athena back. I feel like there is a hole in my heart and half of my soul is missing. An amber alert was issued earlier today. Please do not give up on my baby." ...

I hope these comments are part of a larger expression that includes concern for Athena's safety and well-being. It's disturbing to me when the speaker makes that narrative all about them self.

I am hoping beyond hope that dad is just hiding little Athena so that bio mom doesn't get to take her back home in December.

I wonder if they have checked the grandma's house really well. If grandma lived close and she walked there often, maybe grandma is hiding her?? One can have hope

I had read that a press conference was going to be this afternoon, but couldn't find it officially, so thank you @diggndeeperstill for finding that!

I hope that my initial and personal fears about this case are wrong. Prayers that Athena is found today!

Last edited:
Live press conference at 2:00 pm.

#UPDATE 2pm live news conference from police just announced. We will carry it LIVE on FACEBOOK - Will find it here.

7-year-old Athena Strand is still missing this morning.
Many who went out to help in the search yesterday I'm told just sat and waited for instruction which never came.
It seems law enforcement is handling a lot of the efforts here.
We are being told about 50 acres was searched yesterday around her father and stepmother's home in Paradise, TX which is where she was last seen.

I have been told Athena's mother has full custody of her but because of health issues had sent Athena to stay with her father and stepmother. Athena was supposed to return home to her mother's house this month.

Police say Athena was last seen by her stepmother November 30th. The stepmother says after an argument she couldn't find Athena.
Athena has reportedly run off before... however some of Athena's family members - including her Aunt - say Athena would never have taken off on her own.

Please SHARE!!! As we all know, the more eyes looking for this little girl the more likely she is found!

The bolded above just leapt off the page for me. :(

From your link ... "Athena is still missing and we are now over the 24 hour point. Thank you to my wonderful family and the large support from the Wise County community. We are continuing our search. I ask that everyone pray.. pray some more, continue to pray, and never stop praying. I cannot live without my baby and I need her brought home safely to me. Athena didn't walk away or disappear on her own. I will not give up or stop until I have Athena back. I feel like there is a hole in my heart and half of my soul is missing. An amber alert was issued earlier today. Please do not give up on my baby." ...

I hope these comments are part of a larger expression that includes concern for Athena's safety and well-being. It's disturbing to me when the speaker makes that narrative all about them self.

Athena's bio mom lives in another state and had to drive quickly to the father's house where she was reported missing. I think mom is very much beside herself with grief and worry.

Athena’s stepmother called the Wise County Sheriff's Office just after 6:30 p.m. to report her missing. She told investigators there was an argument and later the girl was not in her room. The sheriff says she waited an hour to tell authorities because she went looking for the girl first.

Wise County Sheriff's Office, DPS, Texas Rangers, Fort Worth PD, Bridgeport PD, local fire departments, Wise County EMS, Search Rescue One and several others searched the area around the 200 block of County Road 3573 in Paradise. About 200 volunteers also showed up.
"Right now, we’re looking at all possibilities," said Wise County Sheriff Lane Akin. "But right now, we think the child walked away and maybe got lost."

But one of the girl’s aunts, Keeland Kulbeth, claims that’s unlikely but could not offer any evidence why.

"We definitely don't believe Athena ran off. We’re not sure if she’s been abducted or not," she said.

An AMBER Alert was issued Thursday afternoon, despite the sheriff saying there is currently no evidence of an abduction.
Athena’s mother, Maitlyn Gandy, lives in southern Oklahoma. She told FOX 4 that she does have sole custody of her daughter but allowed her to spend the fall semester in Texas with her father and stepmother.

Last edited by a moderator:
However, this reporter did say that she was to go to Oklahoma to go to an event with her Aunt this weekend. See my first quote below.

I may have missed it but I had wondered the radius searched so far. This story says 5 mile radius searched. The Sheriff is also quoted as saying 50 acres searched.

Reporter says Athena had planned to go to a Christmas event with her Aunt in Oklahoma this weekend.

Athena was supposed to be returned to her mother Dec 1…why in the world would the dad go on an overnight hunting trip the night before and not be able to see his little girl off? Don’t even get me started on the giant coincidence of her going missing the day before she’s supposed to go home. Unfortunately I’m thinking she’s been missing longer than what step mommy is saying. MOO

Where do you get December 1? I read "December," but I think it's a big assumption that means December 1st. It seems unlikely to have been planned to occur mid-week and mid-semester?

Edited for typo

Okay. That is different information that the post I replied to.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to contradict you. I think indeed the fall semester was mentioned. Additionally, it seems bio mom and aunt are still seeing Athena often and had plans to see her this weekend. Which IMHO is earlier than the end of the falls semester.

The end of the fall semester would be December 16th for Wise County Public Schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB