TX - Austin Package Bombs

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, the reason they thought the first victim made the bomb was because he walked outside with the box in his hand, according to what people were saying. When police arrived, they saw him on his porch with the box, and thought that he had made a bomb and something went wrong. I don't think it was until they thoroughly searched his house and didn't find any bomb making materials that they finally decided to investigate it as a homicide.

There was a live FB video when the very first bomb went off, and APD was talking about it.

Thanks. The article I read and I was skimming I was thinking it was for another reason. I don't want to misspeak. If I come across it again I will link it. But it wasn't until the March 12th that they considered it a homicide from my understanding. JMHO

ETA the 2 articles I was referencing: **#1 has good timeline**
1) "Police say it is "an isolated incident and that there is no continuing threat to the community," adding that there is no reason to believe it is terror-related.

“Anytime we have a bomb go off like that and somebody dies, the first thing people think is terrorism. While we cannot completely rule it out at this point, we do not believe that terrorism is a motive in this death,” said Chacon.

House had also faced previous charges in Travis County, according to Fox 7." http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/19/austin-package-bomb-attacks-timeline.html

2) which is the article ^^ referenced :

"Police are asking anyone with information about the explosive device or possible motive for the attack to report it to them.
House has faced previous charges in Travis County." http://www.fox7austin.com/news/loca...oded-friday-morning-was-inside-of-a-package#/

Here's the very first video, the March 2nd incident.

https://www.facebook.com/KXANnews/videos/10155704809013037/

Manley says in the video, "apparent that there was an explosive incident."

Causing traumatic injuries that took an individuals life. We think it's an isolated incident.
There is no information that we have to believe this is anything other than an isolated incident.

Partners from FBI, ATF, postal inspectors, bomb squad, fire department.

Post blast analysis. Investigation into the death.

Early stages of this investigation.

Based on what we know right now, we have no reason to believe this is anything beyond an isolated incident that took place at this residence.

What we don't see here, is any indication that this is part of a larger scheme. What might have caused this to happen here today. We do not see anything that makes us believe this is part of a larger operation.

Yes, the homicide unit is here, and we are investigating this as a homicide.

So yes, within a couple of hours after the explosion of the March 2nd incident, they considered it to be a homicide, I am ASSUMING based on what they found in the home (no bomb making materials, etc.)

This reminds of the Tampa bus stop shootings for some reason. Five people were shot dead,on different nights. I think four were African American. Four were shot when waiting for a bus or having just gotten off the bus. There was some video of the suspect, but he wasn't caught for a while. Lots of theories about it being race related, or as a result of the neighborhood being gentrified. It turned out to be a young African American guy. Solo killer. I do not know the motive at all ( and don't really know if it was released ) . It turned out to be just random killings, which was so strange in and of itself...

This reminds of the Tampa bus stop shootings for some reason. Five people were shot dead,on different nights. I think four were African American. Four were shot when waiting for a bus or having just gotten off the bus. There was some video of the suspect, but he wasn't caught for a while. Lots of theories about it being race related, or as a result of the neighborhood being gentrified. It turned out to be a young African American guy. Solo killer. I do not know the motive at all ( and don't really know if it was released ) . It turned out to be just random killings, which was so strange in and of itself...
I can think of several more serial shooting cases with the same MO as you described. It's unfortunately fairly common. This certainly could be the same type of thing, just using a bomb instead of a gun. More sophistication, but similar result.

So yes, within a couple of hours after the explosion of the March 2nd incident, they considered it to be a homicide, I am ASSUMING based on what they found in the home (no bomb making materials, etc.)

It is confusing. While one article from March 5 states that, from what I am reading they did not reclassify it from suspicious to homicide until after the March 12th bombings. I found an article where it was making reference to first victim had had prev charges in Travis County, still haven't found first one I read. Bottom line at this point is now they are considered all work thought to be a serial bomber.
"“Clearly, we are dealing with a serial bomber,” Police Chief Brian Manley said" https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...wire-may-have-set-off-austin-blast/437277002/

"POSTED: MAR 05 2018 09:27PM CST

VIDEO POSTED: MAR 05 2018 09:27PM CST

UPDATED: MAR 05 2018 09:28PM CST

AUSTIN, Texas - Austin police said the explosive device that detonated at a Haverford Drive home Friday morning killing one man was inside of a package.

Originally police were calling the investigation a homicide, now they said it is considered a suspicious death because they haven't ruled out the possibility that the victim may have constructed and accidentally detonated the device himself.

“When we arrived, we saw that there had been an explosion of some type. What we have determined in the following days is that this appeared to be a package,” said Assistant Chief Joseph Chacon with the Austin Police Department. " http://www.fox7austin.com/news/loca...oded-friday-morning-was-inside-of-a-package#/

TEXAS 7 hours ago (3/19/18)
Austin package bomb attacks timeline
March 12
10:50 a.m.
Authorities say they believe the package bomb that killed the teenager and wounded the woman is linked to the deadly package sent to House's home earlier this month because they were both left on the front doorstep and not delivered by a mail service.

Manley said the U.S. Postal Service does not have a record of delivering a package to the Austin home where the explosion occurred Monday.

Police reclassify House's death as a "homicide investigation," instead of a "suspicious death," as the two incidents may be related.

Manley says investigators hope to collect surveillance video and evidence from nearby homes to identify a suspect.

"We're doing a canvas of the neighborhood right now," Manley says. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/19/austin-package-bomb-attacks-timeline.html

I can think of several more serial shooting cases with the same MO as you described. It's unfortunately fairly common. This certainly could be the same type of thing, just using a bomb instead of a gun. More sophistication, but similar result.

In a weird way, this is somehow more...cowardly than using a gun ? I mean, they plan and scheme, leave the bomb, then either watch on the news, or remain near enough to watch the LE response. It has a "hiding " component that a straight up shooting lacks ? They seem to have an aversion to actually confronting the victims. jmo, though.

Seems like at least victim #3 and the #4th bombs had nails...

Adi Guajardo
‏@KENS5Adi 7h7 hours ago
Neighbor says she found Esperanza Herrera outside bleeding on the ground after she heard the explosion last Monday. She says there was nails, batteries and glass all around Esperanza as she cried for help. #AustinBombing @KENS5 @KVUE

Adi Guajardo
‏@KENS5Adi 8h8 hours ago
Neighbors say family doesn’t want to return home after a suspicious package explodeded sending Esperanza Herrera to the hospital last Monday. The neighbor says the 75-year-old victim is recovering and ok. @KENS5 @KVUE

"Dozens of law enforcement officers, including FBI agents, flooded the neighborhood of single-family brick homes to investigate after the reported blast about 8:30 p.m. CT.

Neighbors reported homes rattling after the explosion. One of those injured had nails in their leg, according to KVUE-TV.

Manley urged residents within a half-mile of the blast on Dawn Song Drive to stay inside until at least morning so law enforcement could clear the area. He said a backpack was found and authorities were working to deem it safe.

He didn't offer any details on the explosion or whether it was tied to any of the other incidents.

“We simply don’t know a lot at this point,” Manley said. “Stay in your residence. Don’t touch anything that looks suspicious.” https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-police-chief-pleaded-attacks-stop/436980002/

KVUE link http://www.kvue.com/article/news/na...ance/465-f6237af8-93b6-43b7-8b73-bb0597a2b5d4

Last night on Twitter I think it was Inforwar? A tweet said they (paraphrasing) a backpack that was on some sort of sign as in for sale. Media was evacuated pretty soon along with everyone else. Looking at this video you linked shows that there was some sort of "sign". Maybe that/they were what held down the trip wires? Thanks for the link
He may be just pulling right up in some sort of vehicle of his own, dashing up to the home, dropping the package and trotting right off. If it's done at night, he could park a bit down the street or one street over. In setting up a sign, he could have had khakis on, and a button down, with a <insert fav ball team> hat and no one would have looked twice. How would you even remember much more than I saw a guy...

Lauren McGaughy Verified account
@lmcgaughy 7m7 minutes ago

For the first time in modern history, Texas is facing the threat of a serial bomber. What crimes could the perpetrator be charged with? Find out here: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/cri...-serial-bomber-rattles-austins-sense-security &#8230; #txlege #AustinBombings

austin bomb 4.jpg

I zoomed in on the reporters photo and ss it. It is clear to see where the bike was that had 4 red cones around. But wonder what is going on around the corner where there are over a dozen people. JMHO after looking closer, may be where they are taking a break away from the actual debris area.

He may be just pulling right up in some sort of vehicle of his own, dashing up to the home, dropping the package and trotting right off. If it's done at night, he could park a bit down the street or one street over. In setting up a sign, he could have had khakis on, and a button down, with a <insert fav ball team> hat and no one would have looked twice. How would you even remember much more than I saw a guy...

True. The backpack they spoke of last night could even been one of the victims.
Listening to some guy on the radio said it was easy to put a tripwire on any surface. Scary stuff

What does it mean that this guy is continuing to plant bombs? It would be to the perp's advantage to take a couple of months off. If he did, a lot of the ATF force would go on to other cases and the populace would forget and not be as vigilant as they are now. Maybe he can't stop himself, or maybe he figures he'll be caught soon and wants to finish his mission (whatever that may be).

Great point. Thinking about the reasons for the speedy timing of the bombs (especially when it seems counterintuitive to remaining unidentified) has been driving me nuts. But, people can’t be hyper vigilant for circumstances that haven’t been the crux of an incident. In other words, if he keeps changing the types of bombs and neighborhoods, none are the wiser. Just terrifying.

In a weird way, this is somehow more...cowardly than using a gun ? I mean, they plan and scheme, leave the bomb, then either watch on the news, or remain near enough to watch the LE response. It has a "hiding " component that a straight up shooting lacks ? They seem to have an aversion to actually confronting the victims. jmo, though.

He kinda reminds me of an arsonist. He can sit back and watch the results of his work. Who knows, he may be hidden, in the flow of things, like an arsonist, so he can watch his work. Even if he doesn't stick around, he can for sure download and replay the media clips, and re-read the articles, if he chooses.

He kinda reminds me of an arsonist. He can sit back and watch the results of his work. Who knows, he may be hidden, in the flow of things, like an arsonist, so he can watch his work. Even if he doesn't stick around, he can for sure download and replay the media clips, and re-read the articles, if he chooses.
Yup, it's the same mentality. It's not just the act but the attention and the fear that the act generates, that gets these guys off. He's undoubtedly following the media attention closely.

Thinking out loud...:thinking:

1) March 2 Friday

Skips a full week

2) March 12 Monday
3) March 12 Monday

4) March 18 Sunday

Why did Bomber miss a full week? Is that why there were 2 on the same day Monday March 12? Making up for the week prior?
All dates are even numbered dates and day of week are over a "weekend" time frame.

Out-of-town for work or had kids for spring break?-
Single dad with vistation? Went on vacation with them?

Out-of-town for work or had kids for spring break?-
Single dad with vistation? Went on vacation with them?
The gap can always be explained by the time it takes to assemble the devices.

Yes, exactly. His pleasure is in seeing the fear and chaos. Might be connected to UT. hope not.

I don't think the idiot that "sent an email" threat :shame: was connected. That person was arrested pretty fast.
The event was to have been Saturday evening. JMHO most people wanting to do harm do not alert where they have placed their handy work. (look at all the various bombings past and recent)

But the fact that the news was on the cancellation of that event Saturday, could also have been a trigger to the Bomber to set the device that went off on Sunday night. Maybe to get the attention back on him/her?

"AUSTIN, Texas -- Austin police have arrested a 26-year-old man on charges of making a terroristic threat for emailing a bomb threat that prompted sponsors to cancel a scheduled concert at Austin's South by Southwest music festival. The threat came amid a series of package bomb explosions earlier this week that put Austin on edge.

Austin city officials said in a brief news release Sunday that Trevor Weldon Ingram had been taken into custody. Conviction on the charge could get him up to 10 years in prison" https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trevor-weldon-ingram-arrested-for-austin-sxsw-bomb-threat/

a psychopath that doesn't want to share the headlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman