TX - Austin Package Bombs

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this has already been posted:

Explosives found again inside Elsmere (Delaware) home

A pipe bomb was located Saturday inside of a home in Elsmere, Delaware.

It's the same address where three explosive devices were discovered earlier in the week.

The homeowner is in jail.

Early last week, he allegedly set off a fifth pipe bomb at another home in Elsmere where his estranged wife was staying.

What does it mean that this guy is continuing to plant bombs? It would be to the perp's advantage to take a couple of months off. If he did, a lot of the ATF force would go on to other cases and the populace would forget and not be as vigilant as they are now. Maybe he can't stop himself, or maybe he figures he'll be caught soon and wants to finish his mission (whatever that may be).

BBM

I think so. I do believe that they would have to be old enough to drive, or, have a driver, hop out, blend, wear dark but not menacing, clothing. Put a ball cap on, and there ya go. Then the driver circles back around. I see no way that this guy could park in these subdivisions and do this w/o causing someone to notice a strange vehicle. Especially this last one. They could be using walkie talkies too. The new ones are much better than the old ones. Three miles easy and very compact.

Yes,and the idea of a second person acting as lookout while dropping off and picking up sounds very plausible. Having camo gear available for paintball and/or hunting would also work. Someone who has done something similar as a hobby. As an alternative, I hope its not someone who is active military. It would have to be someone who has a lot of time to spend on this "project", possibly only employed part time?

Yes, they have to blend. They have to look like anyone else who may be riding their bike in the area, or jogging, or delivering a package. Most of it has taken place during the evening hours but he's cased these places out. He's likely even driven the streets, on Google Earth, before scoping things out in real life. He may even act like we would, as a prospective home buyer. Drive or jog through in different times of the day/night, different days, to get a feel of the subdivisions, to see when it's best to set up the device.

I am clueless about explosives. What would have made the first three go off? How does the person leaving the bomb keep it from going off before they set it down? I understand timed devices, but not the package ones like these.

I don't think the idiot that "sent an email" threat :shame: was connected. That person was arrested pretty fast.
The event was to have been Saturday evening. JMHO most people wanting to do harm do not alert where they have placed their handy work. (look at all the various bombings past and recent)

But the fact that the news was on the cancellation of that event Saturday, could also have been a trigger to the Bomber to set the device that went off on Sunday night. Maybe to get the attention back on him/her?

"AUSTIN, Texas -- Austin police have arrested a 26-year-old man on charges of making a terroristic threat for emailing a bomb threat that prompted sponsors to cancel a scheduled concert at Austin's South by Southwest music festival. The threat came amid a series of package bomb explosions earlier this week that put Austin on edge.

Austin city officials said in a brief news release Sunday that Trevor Weldon Ingram had been taken into custody. Conviction on the charge could get him up to 10 years in prison" https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trevor-weldon-ingram-arrested-for-austin-sxsw-bomb-threat/

What does it mean that this guy is continuing to plant bombs? It would be to the perp's advantage to take a couple of months off. If he did, a lot of the ATF force would go on to other cases and the populace would forget and not be as vigilant as they are now. Maybe he can't stop himself, or maybe he figures he'll be caught soon and wants to finish his mission (whatever that may be).
I can't think of another bombing case with this many attacks in such close proximity. They usually go quiet for a while, which as you said, would be advantageous to him. The fact that there is no clear pattern in terms of victimology, is certainly making the job of law enforcement that much more difficult. It could still of course be race related, but the fact that the last two victims were white, lessens that possibility somewhat.

It could be that this person is a megalomaniac. Smarter than the average bear.

Theowing our fake scenarios such as choosing people that are related then changing the tactic Making fear.

I think a profile would be having DV in the background. Either done by the perp or witnessed by the perp.

I figure it is a man. No girlfriends. Wishes he had a girlfriend. An unappealing personality.

Probably a loner . Very arrogant.

I am clueless about explosives. What would have made the first three go off? How does the person leaving the bomb keep it from going off before they set it down? I understand timed devices, but not the package ones like these.
These seem to be pressure devices, tension causes the device to be triggered. The Unabomber built devices this way, where someone moving the device triggers it. He also rigged packages to be detonated when they were opened, once again using tension to trigger the blast.

It could be that this person is a megalomaniac. Smarter than the average bear.

Theowing our fake scenarios such as choosing people that are related then changing the tactic Making fear.

I think a profile would be having DV in the background. Either done by the perp or witnessed by the perp.

I figure it is a man. No girlfriends. Wishes he had a girlfriend. An unappealing personality.

I agree. Bombers are usually very intelligent. It's almost certainly a man, and likely white (most bombers are). He has to build these devices in privacy, so you're likely right about him not having a girlfriend and being a loner. Certainly arrogant, and enjoying the attention. The police are trying to draw him out, appealing to this arrogance and hoping that he will begin communication.

https://twitter.com/ABCWorldNews/status/975841267044282369

AUSTIN BOMBING: Aerial video shows the scene of a fourth explosion that injured two young men and rocked Austin, Texas, overnight. Authorities confirm the blast was triggered by a sophisticated tripwire. Complete coverage on #WorldNewsTonight.

Thanks, that's some good video of the scene. Does it look like there are two trip wires? The red things at the far edge of the sidewalk with some kind of line running across the sidewalk to another red thing part way into the street? If so, it looks like they had it set up to be tripped by either someone walking on the sidewalk or riding a bike along the curb side of the lane.

How do they anchor the trip wire holders onto the street?

ETA: Pause the video at about 10 seconds.

Nevermind, I think that's something to mark the crime scene.

As far as why they exploded when they did, jmho it was the way set up. Think of all the movies we see (I know just a movie but for a visual) there are some that the people have to be very still because of the trigger on the bomb moving the bomb will cause the activation. That seems to be what happened with the package bombs.

Sadly there is so much online now that one can "learn" that it is mind blowing (no pun intended). I followed a murder case where the killer posted online how to deactivate the sensors on electronics and high end items. Step by step guide! Still on youtube!

As far as needing someone to help I am not so sure on that. Look at that guy that shot up the movie theater in Aurora CO, He had his apartment booby trapped. The more people involved the greater chances of someone slipping up.

As far as how long it takes to set one of the bombs (it is already made when they take it to the destination JMHO) I would think that they would set it up then activate it.

I am trying to find the article I read earlier, but it stated that LEO were first investigating if the victim #1 had made the bomb that exploded. It had a reason why but I am still looking for it again. Then there was one that said (#1) could possibly been placed at wrong address (drug house down road)

Why would they have thought the first victim made the bomb? JMHO

I'm mulling over the fact that the first bomb happened on Texas Independence Day and this last bomb happened at an intersection of "Republic of Texas Boulevard." Makes me wonder if this is member(s) of one of these Texas Secessionist group. A few of these nuts even appear to have russian ties.

Russian Social Accounts Adding to Complaints That Austin Bombings Aren't Being Covered.

Social media users are complaining that the Austin bombings isn't getting enough coverage in the press. But it isn't only American Twitter users, for example, who are saying that. Accounts associated with Russian influence operations also have picked up that thread.

SBM
Yes, all of that.

I also think he is ex-military, and while he was in he got in trouble for his behavior.

As far as why they exploded when they did, jmho it was the way set up. Think of all the movies we see (I know just a movie but for a visual) there are some that the people have to be very still because of the trigger on the bomb moving the bomb will cause the activation. That seems to be what happened with the package bombs.

Sadly there is so much online now that one can "learn" that it is mind blowing (no pun intended). I followed a murder case where the killer posted online how to deactivate the sensors on electronics and high end items. Step by step guide! Still on youtube!

As far as needing someone to help I am not so sure on that. Look at that guy that shot up the movie theater in Aurora CO, He had his apartment booby trapped. The more people involved the greater chances of someone slipping up.

As far as how long it takes to set one of the bombs (it is already made when they take it to the destination JMHO) I would think that they would set it up then activate it.

I am trying to find the article I read earlier, but it stated that LEO were first investigating if the victim #1 had made the bomb that exploded. It had a reason why but I am still looking for it again. Then there was one that said (#1) could possibly been placed at wrong address (drug house down road)

Why would they have thought the first victim made the bomb? JMHO

IIRC, the reason they thought the first victim made the bomb was because he walked outside with the box in his hand, according to what people were saying. When police arrived, they saw him on his porch with the box, and thought that he had made a bomb and something went wrong. I don't think it was until they thoroughly searched his house and didn't find any bomb making materials that they finally decided to investigate it as a homicide.

There was a live FB video when the very first bomb went off, and APD was talking about it.

He may be thinking he's doing something. Doing something, in his mind, that he can justify, if a positive outcome, comes from it all, or he's a psychopath, getting his kicks, watching it all unfold on the nightly news, with zero remorse.

Interesting read:

In general, the ideology comes later. It comes in more as justification and rationale for the violence than as a cause of violence. Human beings, and these are normal human beings, don’t kill other normal human beings without having some story to tell to themselves and to others as to why they’re doing it.

For Lone Wolf Terrorists the Motivation Isn't Always Hate
https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-07-18/lone-wolf-terrorists-motivation-violence-isn-t-always-hate

https://twitter.com/ABCWorldNews/status/975841267044282369

AUSTIN BOMBING: Aerial video shows the scene of a fourth explosion that injured two young men and rocked Austin, Texas, overnight. Authorities confirm the blast was triggered by a sophisticated tripwire. Complete coverage on #WorldNewsTonight.

Last night on Twitter I think it was Inforwar? A tweet said they (paraphrasing) a backpack that was on some sort of sign as in for sale. Media was evacuated pretty soon along with everyone else. Looking at this video you linked shows that there was some sort of "sign". Maybe that/they were what held down the trip wires? Thanks for the link

Thanks, that's some good video of the scene. Does it look like there are two trip wires? The red things at the far edge of the sidewalk with some kind of line running across the sidewalk to another red thing part way into the street? If so, it looks like they had it set up to be tripped by either someone walking on the sidewalk or riding a bike along the curb side of the lane.

How do they anchor the trip wire holders onto the street?

ETA: Pause the video at about 10 seconds.

Nevermind, I think that's something to mark the crime scene.

Yes the red cones mark off a square. I thought the same thing at first until it zoomed in showing a squared off of the four cones.

I'm thinking that two of them were kind of like pipe bombs.

"On the typical pipe bomb it's going to be filled with some kind of propellant. Touching or kicking it moving it, no, unless its rigged with some kind of booby trap so to speak, but you don't know. That's the thing about bombs, you don't know what it can do. So each on should be treated as the real thing." Sexton said pipe bombs can be made with ingredients you can find at the store, but they are just as dangerous as any explosive used in the military." (1)

Pipe bombs can be small. However they are the bomb. Whatever he set up to trigger them, I do not know, but it could have been even opening the package, that tripped something inside. I'm no expert, and don't know very much about them, either.

Here is a video that explains the difference in pipe bombs and pressure cooker bombs. IIRC, I think I read that one of the bombs had shrapnel in it, so that one likely wasn't a pipe bomb, so we may have four different types of bombs. (2)

(1) http://wcyb.com/news/tennessee-news/police-explain-characteristics-of-pipe-bombs_20160524115121574

(2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl6XvznIrHc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member