GUILTY TX - Billy Joe Harris for rapes of elderly women in 6 counties, 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am sorry I have been gone so long. It had started to be a little to emotional for me so I had to get away from it for awhile. We are hopeful that they have caught the guy. I read your threads about his whereabouts. Found his address up until april of 2010 on zabasearch. It would appear he tried to sell the house in copperas cove in jan of 2010 unsuccessfully, but sold it privately to someone else in April. I found this in the tax appraisal records. Check the details for Property ID 125914 http://propaccess.trueautomation.com/clientdb/SearchResults.aspx. I called the Bell County Sheriff's office and they are holding a press conference at 1:30 Central today.

I hope we find that live streamed. If not will someone in TX watch it and report back to us, please!!!!!

BTW - is it me, I can't get link to work.

A Central Texas woman who was married to Twilight Rape suspect Billy Joe Harris for 25 years says she’s stunned that Harris is accused in a series of attacks on elderly women.

Reporter: By Lauren Westbrook
Email Address: lauren.westbrook@kwtx.com

[JH] said she first learned of her former husband’s arrest on Saturday when a Texas Ranger knocked at the door of her home, but she didn’t realize he was in custody in connection with the so-called Twilight Rapes until she saw a news report.

She described her ex-husband as an abusive pathological liar whom she eventually divorced because of abuse and infidelity.
She said Harris was in the Army for more than 20 years and was stationed not only in Germany, but also at Fort Hood and at Fort Bragg in North Carolina.

more here

http://www.kwtx.com/localnews/headl...Ex-Wife_Stunned_By_Allegations_113217974.html

Welcome back, Concerndgdaughter, we haven't forgotten about you. My thoughts are with you and your family right now as this must be so traumatic.

I guess my question is why the age difference. I'm really wondering if he's always abused older women. His former wife is only a year older than him but we don't know about girlfriends and other family members. I firmly believe that this man has been living a secret life for decades. Pathological liar. Hmmmm. Remember, he told one woman he wouldn't rape her if she gave him money. He still raped her. He's an evil one, that's for sure.

And NJ, you are correct, Texas jails/prisons won't be a walk in the park for a man who's victimized so many elder ladies. Even criminals have their priorities/code of ethincs and most Texas men are very protective of the senior women. This guy won't "set well".

Do we know if Harris was successful in completing his attack in Edna or did the woman scare him off with her alert button call? Thank goodness she was so vigilant as the pressure's been off for a few months.

I also have to wonder what he's been up to. I've always been so concerned that some women don't report the rapes or might even die as a result of the shock. I hope any woman found dead "of natural causes" has had a thorough exam by the medical examiner in light of this man's crimes.

Any word yet if any of the victims can positively identify him?

So glad this has been caught!!!!!!

Woo Hoo Texas!

Salem

http://www.kxxv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13819312

New details emerge about suspected Twilight Rapist

"....Through DNA and "other" evidence, he has been linked to at least 10 sexual assaults that began with the assault of a 66-year-old woman in Yoakum, about 100 miles east of San Antonio, in January 2009.

Additional details about Harris were released Monday including that he at one point lived in Copperas Cove, just west of Killeen, and that he began working for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice as a correctional officer in Gatesville, about 35 miles north of Killeen.

He began working for the TDCJ in September 2009, where he remained a state employee even while allegedly committing sexual assaults in rural areas of Central and South Texas...."

and

".... Sheriff Smith noted that the ages of the victims forced investigators to prepare for a scenario in which the elderly victims would not be able to testify against their attacker. He says excessive forensic evidence was gathered at the crime scenes that would make building a case against Harris possible even without eyewitness testimony...."

more at link

Do we know if Harris was successful in completing his attack in Edna or did the woman scare him off with her alert button call? Thank goodness she was so vigilant as the pressure's been off for a few months.

I also have to wonder what he's been up to. I've always been so concerned that some women don't report the rapes or might even die as a result of the shock. I hope any woman found dead "of natural causes" has had a thorough exam by the medical examiner in light of this man's crimes.

Any word yet if any of the victims can positively identify him?

here's what I read about the lady in Edna

<snip>

Harris was arrested after a medical alarm activated at an apartment in the 1200 block of Miracle Drive. Edna police and EMS responded to the scene and noticed a window screen had been removed, according to a press release from the Edna Police Department.

Police heard a woman calling for help from inside the apartment, and a man fled when officers attempted to enter.
A witness said he saw a police car and ambulance arrive at Miracle Manor, an independent-living facility across the street from the Edna High School track. The witness said a man attempted to flee north through the apartment complex and was apprehended shortly after.
The victim was not seriously injured, but was taken by ambulance to a Victoria hospital for examination, according to release from Edna police.

more here

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2011/jan/09/kb_twilight_rape_011011_125021/?news&jackson-county

Thank you, TM. It sounds as if he was not successful in his attack. Thank God. Note that the apartment is across from a high school track. The house in Moody, where he struck, was also near a open and busy area. He's crafty, that's for sure.

I just checked and I don't see anything about a press conference in Bell County. Did it go on as scheduled? Wait, maybe this is all that was reported about it:

http://www.centraltexasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=13819263

Family Friend of Accused Twilight Rapist Speaks Out

"....He was always nice and quiet and you know, he didn't really wanna be around with anybody around there but you know he was more quiet, to himself...."

more at link

Hmmm.....they refer to the woman in Edna as a victim. I hope it's a victim of attempted rape. Hopefully, he was interrupted when LE arrived.

Hold the phone. I had not seen this:

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/113163599.html

"....Harris has also worked as a correctional officer at the Texas Youth Commission, the DPS said Monday...."

I read that article carefully last night. Did they just add this? They must have because the article originally appeared yesterday, Sunday, and this statement was made on Monday. I HATE when they do that. The public needs to be alerted to all new details, IMO.

Anybody see anything else "new"?

Here's the chronology. I also don't remember seeing this late last night:

Case Chronology

1. January 23, 2009 - Yoakum -- first attack. 66 year old woman robbed. Sexually assaulted. $12,000 stolen from her. Investigators say she was days away for paying for her own funeral with the money.
2. February 27, 2009 -- Lavaca County --- 79 year old woman. Attempted sexual assault
3. July 2009 -- Leon County -- in Marquez -- two dear heads stolen from home. Woman sexually assaulted>
4. August 14, 2009-- Zabcikville attack. Woman assaulted. Robbed. V
Victim in her early 90s.
5. September 5, 2009 -- Leon County -- Marquez -- phone was disabled. Man came in early morning through back window.
6. September 11, 2009 -- Bell County -- Seaton Area --90 year old sexual assaulted.
NOTE: This attack in the Seaton area was the night of a community meeting in Cyclone.
7. September 12, 2009 -- Leon County -- Marquez -- woman calls authorities -- reports burglar bars are missing from her home. Authorities respond -- determine they have been stolen. Authorities say they stepped up surveillance of her home after the robbery.
8. October 10, 2009 -- Falls County -- Elderly woman assaulted. Suspect entered through the garage door. Victim had been robbed in August. $400 stolen.
9. October 24, 2009 -- Leon County -- Centerville -- woman hears intruder in her home. Grabs gun. Intruder runs off.
10. November 9, 2009 Yoakum, 67-year-old woman assaulted (identified as the same woman who was the victim of the first attack)
11. November. 24, 2009 in Luling, The victim was a 79-year-old woman.
12. Feb. 28, 2010-man breaks into home of 86-year-old Moody woman.

more at link

Hold the phone. I had not seen this:

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/113163599.html

"....Harris has also worked as a correctional officer at the Texas Youth Commission, the DPS said Monday...."

I read that article carefully last night. Did they just add this? They must have because the article originally appeared yesterday, Sunday, and this statement was made on Monday. I HATE when they do that. The public needs to be alerted to all new details, IMO.

Anybody see anything else "new"?

Here's the chronology. I also don't remember seeing this late last night:

Case Chronology

1. January 23, 2009 - Yoakum -- first attack. 66 year old woman robbed. Sexually assaulted. $12,000 stolen from her. Investigators say she was days away for paying for her own funeral with the money.
2. February 27, 2009 -- Lavaca County --- 79 year old woman. Attempted sexual assault
3. July 2009 -- Leon County -- in Marquez -- two dear heads stolen from home. Woman sexually assaulted>
4. August 14, 2009-- Zabcikville attack. Woman assaulted. Robbed. V
Victim in her early 90s.
5. September 5, 2009 -- Leon County -- Marquez -- phone was disabled. Man came in early morning through back window.
6. September 11, 2009 -- Bell County -- Seaton Area --90 year old sexual assaulted.
NOTE: This attack in the Seaton area was the night of a community meeting in Cyclone.
7. September 12, 2009 -- Leon County -- Marquez -- woman calls authorities -- reports burglar bars are missing from her home. Authorities respond -- determine they have been stolen. Authorities say they stepped up surveillance of her home after the robbery.
8. October 10, 2009 -- Falls County -- Elderly woman assaulted. Suspect entered through the garage door. Victim had been robbed in August. $400 stolen.
9. October 24, 2009 -- Leon County -- Centerville -- woman hears intruder in her home. Grabs gun. Intruder runs off.
10. November 9, 2009 Yoakum, 67-year-old woman assaulted (identified as the same woman who was the victim of the first attack)
11. November. 24, 2009 in Luling, The victim was a 79-year-old woman.
12. Feb. 28, 2010-man breaks into home of 86-year-old Moody woman.

more at link

I remember seeing the chronology on this article & some others, but I didn't notice the TYC connection until you pointed it out.

One new thing I see is the 3rd comment posted after article...says the SR got the moniker 'Twilight Rapist' not because of time of day/night of the attacks but because of the age of the victims (twilight years).

I think it should be against the "editorial code of conduct" to add pertinent information to an article without highlighting what has been added. I missed the "twilight" comment, too, but that is contrary to other sources early on. I remember that one reporter even went so far as to explain the definition of the word "twilight".

I think it should be against the "editorial code of conduct" to add pertinent information to an article without highlighting what has been added. I missed the "twilight" comment, too, but that is contrary to other sources early on. I remember that one reporter even went so far as to explain the definition of the word "twilight".

ITA - that TYC comment may have been there and I missed it, but it's hard to believe we both would've missed it.

And I think the SR must've done something physical to this last little lady, since he was charged with "burglary with the intent to commit a felony other than theft".

Crazy how so often it's the nice, quiet loner types.

Have you figured out where he was working when the attacks in Luling happened? That's a long drive from Missouri City or Rosharon where he worked.

I can see him having reason to be further northwest because of proximity to Ft. Hood - still trying to figure out what sent him southwest of Houston.

I was just getting ready to post the almost identical words, TM. I don't think he raped the poor lady but I do think he might have assaulted her or at the very least threatened her. Her quick thinking hopefully put an end to this terror. Interesting but I don't think I've read a description of how he was dressed when apprehended. Several of the ladies said that he confronted them while naked.

I don't think they're giving out too much info yet. It's hard to say what he would have been doing down in Yoakum and then up in Moody. IMO, they're being a bit circumspect with exactly what his position entailed. My guess is that his former wife would know a good bit of personal history that would be extremely helpful. I remember us commenting that several of the rapes occurred in small towns where there are a large number of people of German heritage. He certainly has a connection to Germany. And remember, someone commented that a similar clock to the one stolen was brought home by a soldier as a gift.

FWIW, I know that comment wasn't there plus it even says "said Monday". If you look upthread at IWannaKnow's Post #427, she clipped some info from the article. IWannaKnow is extremely thorough and she would have certainly noted the very next sentence. No, they inserted it.

For whatever reason, I'm still very curious about this man's upbringing and his experience with older Caucasian women. I have not read a single account of a woman of color who was raped. I think he had a specific target in mind. My guess is that something nasty can be traced back to his childhood. I fail to see, though, how he could have passed so many background checks, given how his former wife described him. You'd think that he would have been cited at some point for domestic violence. And the lying wouldn't go over real well in the workplace.

I just noticed that the Waco Trib posted a new article but it's by subscription only.

ETA: Plus the fact that you, TM, were the first to post the article yesterday, Sunday, afternoon in Post #406. Even though they haven't changed the url, they did add the statement as they wouldn't say that a person made a statement on Monday. Trivial but irritating. And it's an important piece of information too!!

Rape suspect may get scrutiny from authorities statewide

http://www.statesman.com/news/local...utiny-from-authorities-statewide-1177197.html

Says he was living in South Austin up until the middle of 2009. Ai, yi, yi. Heck, maybe that really was him that placed the ad, I found, in Craigslist Austin claiming to be a photographer wanting to take photos of elderly women. I did turn that into the task force. OMG, IIRC the photographer stated his name was Joe something. Excuse me while a shudder runs through my body.

Even if that was him, there wouldn't have been anything LE could do legally. It's not a crime to advertise wanting to photograph women. Maybe they put some heat on him, he felt it, and that caused him to move to Missouri City.

One thing's for certain, he stopped raping women, and that had to be because he felt the law was breathing down his neck. Heck, he waited a whole year, enough to call off any law dogs, before the attempted rape in Edna, only to get caught.

This article has had a couple of updates too:

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/...Ex-Wife_Stunned_By_Allegations_113217974.html

"...JH said she met him in 1976 when he was serving as an Army cook in her native Germany. They were married nine months later. Four years after the wedding, they moved to the U.S., she said. She said Harris was in the Army for more than 20 years and was stationed not only in Germany, but also at Fort Hood and at Fort Bragg in North Carolina. She said she filed for divorce in 2002 on the grounds of abuse and infidelity.

DNA has linked Harris to five of as many as a dozen attacks on elderly women dating back to January 2009.

He is employed by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice and has also worked for a home health care service and for the Texas Youth Commission...."

more at link

I also realized that this woman was his youngest victim, as far as we know. She's only 59. I hope she's getting the support she desperately needs right now.

Rape suspect may get scrutiny from authorities statewide

http://www.statesman.com/news/local...utiny-from-authorities-statewide-1177197.html

Says he was living in South Austin up until the middle of 2009. Ai, yi, yi. Heck, maybe that really was him that placed the ad, I found, in Craigslist Austin claiming to be a photographer wanting to take photos of elderly women. I did turn that into the task force.

Even if that was him, there wouldn't have been anything LE could do legally. It's not a crime to advertise wanting to photograph women. Maybe they put some heat on him, he felt it, and that caused him to move to Missouri City.

One thing's for certain, he stopped raping women, and that had to be because he felt the law was breathing down his neck.

Ay yi yi is right, justthinkin!! Too bad LE can't tell ya if that tip panned out at all...it's an odd ad for sure.

I remember we discussed him living in Austin or San Marcos as at one point that was about halfway between the vics that were south-central TX & the ones in north central TX

I snipped this from your link so we'd have it in this thread.

Public records show Harris had an address in Austin until mid-2009, although he also appeared to have other homes during that time.

Texas prison officials said Harris worked at a state jail facility in Travis County from 2000 to 2004 as a food service manager but was transferred to Brownwood.

If he was in Brownwood, this creep could've been going further north!

I won't be surprised at all if LE will be closing cases for years to come.

Justthinkin--There's also the very strong possibility that some women just didn't report the crime. I still think that many elder women really do not want to alarm their families and lose their independence. Sadly, they'd probably blame themselves for carelessness and try to move on.

I really hope that the Task Force considers this possibility as victims who chose not to report could now come forward safely with very important facts. I don't think he's been behaving himself at all. I think we just haven't heard of the more recent attacks. JMO.

My heart goes out to all our Texas posters. I know how worried and scared you were. It's nothing short of terror.

The guy's been all over the state. How did he maintain a number of houses on a state salary? I wonder if the infidelities mentioned by his former wife have moved onto having a woman in every town. Being part of a couple, would have provided him a great cover to move about. I'm not saying, at all, that these women knew. I think they were victims too. He seems like a smooth talker. I'd bet you that that clock is sitting in some unsuspecting woman's house. She probably thought it was a thoughtful present at the time.

Anyone see any mention of Harris having children?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hernak
Back