GUILTY TX - Billy Joe Harris for rapes of elderly women in 6 counties, 2011

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am glad they caught that b..tard. A whole lot of rural Texas ladies are going to sleep easier.

Huge thanks go out to the Edna PD who caught the creep, and to our Texas DPS for confirming his DNA so quickly.

You guys all rock!

:great: FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :great:

I just turned my computer on and I had like 5 or 6 google alerts for the Twilight Rapist caught! Now off to read the articles!

EDNA, Texas — A state prison employee who records show has worked for a home health care agency is suspected of being a serial rapist accused of targeting older women in Texas after he was caught fleeing an elderly woman's home, authorities said Sunday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20110109/us-elderly-rapes-texas/

WE HAD THIS AS POSSIBLE WAY HE FOUND HIS VICTIMS!
Age seems high - wonder if they have already matched the DNA. Wonder if they found clocks and things he took. <-------------UPDATE: Yeppers they did - quote from same article:
"
After the arrest, a DNA sample taken from the suspect linked him to five other assaults in Yoakum, Bell, Falls and Leon counties, DPS said."

I read and study about a lot of cases. This one always bothered me. I am so thankful this creep has been caught. I hope he will "come clean" and answer all of LE's questions. I really want to know why he targeted one victim twice. This would be a help in profiling other cases / offenders.

Yea! Yea! Yea!
Good job to the Texas authorities.:clap:
:woohoo:

I'm wondering about the clocks and other things too, NJ. This man did not just start these crimes two years ago. His MO has probably always been the same. Possibly when he was younger, he targeted middle aged women and the crimes weren't quite so shocking. I would think that his home would be filled with "trophies".

FWIW, when I saw that there was a photo, I made myself go with my first impression. I would guess late 30s--that was my very first thought. Very odd that he's in his 50s. I wonder if he looks so young "in person".

We have to remember, though, that Texas thought they had their man before--even a DNA match and it was determined to be incorrect. IIRC, that man was also a bit older than the 20s we were looking for.

But the connection with home health care fits. But, what exactly does a non-commissioned employee for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice do? I would have a hard time believing that all these ladies had any sort of record. Or did he just have access codes to info? And what's the connection to Yoakum and why elder ladies?

Can't the Texas Rangers sign on and answer our questions?

We've been reminded, over and again, that rapists strike close to home. Interesting that there's a man with the same name in Edna, TX but born in 1936--21 years older than the man in custody. Can't find any connection yet, though, with Yoakum. The only man born in 1957-58, who I can find with that name, comes up in Austin. That might make sense if he works/worked for a state agency.

Sorry to freak out our Austin members. I can't find him on Vinelink. Has anyone seen a birthdate or any history?

OMG he really does look lots younger than 53! Sorry, reading back after reading all my google alert links. Sorry to repeat before what so many of you had already said. What is that expression -- great minds think alike and for themselves -- and yes, Missizzy, I think the Rangers owe us a visit! Little Q and A -- maybe when they notice we profiled him as possibly being health care worker they will honor us with a visit! (bait, bait! LOL)

So, is it certain that he's in custody? He hasn't bailed? And he's still in Jackson County? As much as I respect the Texas Rangers, I think they simply had to make a "splash" with this arrest as everyone has been waiting so so long.

I'm assuming that his given name is Billy and not William. I'm finding very very little on the man.

So, is it certain that he's in custody? He hasn't bailed? And he's still in Jackson County? As much as I respect the Texas Rangers, I think they simply had to make a "splash" with this arrest as everyone has been waiting so so long.

I'm assuming that his given name is Billy and not William. I'm finding very very little on the man.

He's on Vinelink - I found him earlier tonite...looks like he's tranferred...IIRC, he's going to Bell County (?)

HARRIS, BILLY JOE 04/17/1957 53 Transferred Unknown JACKSON COUNTY JAIL

Here's a mugshot I found tonite -- I think he looks older than in that DL pic we saw in the first links.

Billy-Joe-Harris-53-missouricity-texas-pic3-jailgarb-arrested-edna-08Jan11.jpg

Yes, he looks to be fifty in the mugshot. Why was it thought that he was in his twenties? If he had worked for home health or one that some of the victims used, I wonder if he were ever investigated as a possibility. The one lady reported that the attacker told her that her son wouldn't be there for another thirty minutes or so, and knew that he came to check on her everyday. He must have had access to some records, had an accomplice, or was very crafty at stalking his victims. Thank goodness they caught him, and that the last victim had an emergency alert.

Not sure if it's the same man but I see a man with that name and woman coming up in Gatesville (Central Texas). Interestingly enough she also comes up on a Texas Criminal Justice site as a provider of some sort. Might be nothing but it wasn't too hard to find.

I'm really flummoxed by the age discrepancy. Even though the victims and the rapist are of different races and some victims didn't have their glasses on, I just can't see how they could describe this man as young. They got everything else right. He has "soft" features and light brown skin. He sure doesn't look slender or 20-something though. Very strange.

Has there been any comment as to just where he'll be tried?

I checked to see how many Harrises there were in Yoakum, Tx on White Pages. Turned up 14 of them.

I think the rapist may have been visiting family members there, and perhaps even in other small towns where he struck. Guess we will find out soon enough how he was able to pull off rapes over such a wide area in a short period of time.

Hallelujah!! I'm so very happy they finally caught him.
From one link by news junkie:
http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/113163599.html

On Sunday night, a Texas Department of Criminal Justice official confirmed Harris worked as a Food Service Manager at the Terrell Unit in Rosharon.

The TDCJ official said Harris started working at the Crain Unit in Gatesville on September 10, 2009, and worked there until he was promoted to his job at the Terrell Unit. In total, Harris worked for the TDCJ a total of 150 months, the official said.

"Background checks performed during Harris' pre-employment screening revealed he had no prior criminal history." the official said."

According to Vinger with DPS, employment records also show he was employed by a home health care agency in Houston.

That 150 months must be a typo....that would be 12 1/2 years! Must mean 15 months. So he started raping and stealing 4 months after he started here. I can't see how that job gave him any access to these ladies. It must have been the home health agency.

Here is a link for the Crain Unit:
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/unitdirectory/gv.htm

Offender Gender: Female
Maximum Capacity*: Unit: 1,498; Boot Camp: 8; SAFP: 288; Trusty Camp: 321
Custody Levels Housed: G1-G5, Transient, Administrative Segregation, Outside Trusty, Intellectually Impaired, Substance Abuse

The Terrell Unit:
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/unitdirectory/r3.htm
Offender Gender: Male
Maximum Capacity*: Unit: 1,389
Trusty Camp: 214Custody Levels Housed: G1-G3, Administrative Segregation, Outside Trusty

I found an address in a nearby town, but not under the name Billy Joe. Have found nothing that seems to add up to that name, age and town....

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...gsln=Harris&mswpn__ftp=tx&msbdy=1957&uidh=000

Well, maybe not. If he was working with the prisoners they could have provided him information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_Crain_Unit
Most women in Crain live in dormitories described by Leah Karotkin of the Houston Press as "drab" and "low-slung." Most inmates work seven hours per day. Jobs include painting and repairing buildings, maintaining and repairing large equipment such as boiler units, hoeing fields, and fixing potholes.[14] Crain includes a trusty camp, which was one of the first to be built by the TDCJ. The camp, which has no perimeter fence, houses non-violent minimum custody inmates who need less supervision than regular inmates and who are less likely to escape than regular inmates. The trustees live in an open dormitory and work in prisoner and prison guard beauty shops, food service, landscaping, and transportation.[14] Women in the Valley Unit work as beauty operators, clerks, cooks, kitchen workers, and landscape gardeners. Women who cannot work in those jobs work in the Special Projects Program by making crafts; they are permitted to sell their crafts for commisary money, and church groups and prison guards are some of the customers.[13] Crain has 20 beds available for the Sentence Alternative to Incarceration Program, a 90 day program for first time offenders between the ages of 17 and 25. The boot camp is housed in a former infirmary in the Reception Center. 32 isolation cells are reserved for difficult prisoners.[13]

I am sorry I have been gone so long. It had started to be a little to emotional for me so I had to get away from it for awhile. We are hopeful that they have caught the guy. I read your threads about his whereabouts. Found his address up until april of 2010 on zabasearch. It would appear he tried to sell the house in copperas cove in jan of 2010 unsuccessfully, but sold it privately to someone else in April. I found this in the tax appraisal records. Check the details for Property ID 125914 http://propaccess.trueautomation.com/clientdb/SearchResults.aspx. I called the Bell County Sheriff's office and they are holding a press conference at 1:30 Central today.

He's on Vinelink - I found him earlier tonite...looks like he's tranferred...IIRC, he's going to Bell County (?)

HARRIS, BILLY JOE 04/17/1957 53 Transferred Unknown JACKSON COUNTY JAIL

Here's a mugshot I found tonite -- I think he looks older than in that DL pic we saw in the first links.

Billy-Joe-Harris-53-missouricity-texas-pic3-jailgarb-arrested-edna-08Jan11.jpg

Getting caught in TEXAS would age you 20 years in a matter of hours! From what I have seen, TEXANS don't mess around!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez
Back