TX - Botham Shem Jean, 26, killed when police officer entered his apartment, Dallas, Sept 2018 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost all jobs can hold you responsible for your social media...just a fact of life now. A teacher was fired some years back for having a photo showing her toasting with a glass of wine on her Facebook, for one example. I mean it’s common sense. If you go out of your way to have racist crap on your profiles, you must be pretty committed to that view. I don’t know how many people I have unfriended over the years for a post that struck me as racist. Anyway at best, her stuff is in the worst possible taste for a sworn officer etc...jmo

Former Federal Prosecutor Aaron Wiley says the case in Dallas last week fits a case that the Rangers would investigate. Many comments and questions on social media are talking about the Texas Rangers. Who are they?

In a post by Gina Woodard, she asks, “Why would the Texas Rangers have any type of involvement […]?” WFAA is here to answer those questions.

The Texas Ranger Division is part of the Texas Department of Public Safety. It’s often seen as an elite team that holds criminal investigative responsibility for the following:

• Major incident crime investigations

• Unsolved crime/serial crime investigations

• Public corruption and public integrity investigations

• Officer involved shooting investigations

• Border security operations

Wiley said it unusual for a large agency like the Dallas Police Department to call on the Rangers. The last time Texas Rangers investigated a case here was the 2016 ambush of Dallas Police Officers. He believes the new police chief making decisions is part of the reason the Rangers have taken over this case.
Why are the Texas Rangers investigating the Botham Jean shooting?

Also to add to your point, she may have really thought it was her apartment and they can claim stand your ground rules all they want and say that was her reasoning to protect her place, but I would urge the state to counter her statement with every single sign and indicator that she was in the wrong area. Had she paid attention to the multiple signs beginning at garage, she would have never "mistaken that he was an intruder" in her place. Furthermore, I'm not buying I was so tired. She work 13.5 hours and only live 17-20 mins max from her job to her place. Its not like the girl worked a night shift and came home that morning. She came home at 9:30. I'd love to see what her work schedule that week was. Better yet, I want to see her timecard of that day. With all the lies and cover-ups, who knows if they are even telling the truth on that.

She wasn’t in imminent danger! She could have backed away. She, for whatever reason, had an extremely itchy trigger finger. There’s zero excuse for what she did. I don’t even see an argument to debate. Everything she did was her own fault and wrong. Who cares about marijuana or whether she thought she was somewhere she wasn’t? She’s an adult who is fully responsible for her actions. I find this case infuriating. “She didn’t know where she was so she shot the resident.” That’s no defense. None. Grrrrr.

The minute traces she left behind aren't really relevant to her being fired although it does speak poorly to DPD's employ policy in not reigning in their employees' appearances before the public that pays their keep.

What she did the night she killed Botham Jean stands on its own with respect to her overdue termination.

However, I hope she does go to trial and the media she deleted does come to the surface so we can get a more meaningful look into her mindset. The limited traces we have suggest she most likely immaturely and arrogantly went much further in presenting more of the same and maybe actually offensive to most all. I kinda bet so.

A reasonable jury should cry foul if denied seeing that aspect of her person since the key to her defense is who she was before the killing, during the killing and is at the time of the trial as she appears before them.

I agree, it does has a theme of sorts. I just don't think the theme portrayed is strong enough for an officer to be fired simply for posting them. Nor do I think that they are strong enough to serve as evidence of a pre-disposition to commit a crime. Rather, I think the case should be based entirely on the officer's physical actions that night.

Though it may be preferable that police officers not post sarcastic references to shooting people, nor post material critical of say, political leaders, the available social media post are just not enough to show aggravating circumstances in my opinion. They seem to fall with in the range of allowable personal expression.

My social media shows a few random cat pictures. My personal beliefs are not to be public. While we may not be fired per se for social media posts, they can, and will potentially portray an unflattering image, because if you post something controversial publicly, what do you say privately?!

Recently, at work, we received a document how to eradicate yourself from all websites, social media. And to review, scrub/delete anything that could be misinterpreted. Especially if you have to testify, you don't want something random out there that could be a problem.

Wait, Found it. Yup they are. Maybe they don't trust them because its been two years since her case and they still haven't figured it out. That could possibly be why.

And may I add, there were rumors in her case that it may have been former law enforcement that could be involved in the MB case. So the Texas Rangers are working on that case, and have been for a few years now.

Last edited:
I don't know about fed and state laws preventing Chief Hall from firing the Officer in question, but I would think she (AG), is entitled to due process. Her union will support her as well, IWT.

I am going to hold out hope for prudent and thoughtful justice in this case. Let the process reveal the facts, as best as is possible. At minimum, her gun slinging days are over. Who in their right mind would put her in the field again with a weapon? I would also be interested in closely reviewing her academy records to see how she tested and ranked. Might be some interesting data there.

Amateur opinion and speculation only

There seems to be a pattern of protecting and convering for police officers in Dallas and using all manners of smoke and mirrors to delay justice. She had to bind the case over to the grand jury and schedule it so the tin horn police department would have to give her the case file. AS IF!

My rosey smelling rump.

They say life isn't worth living when they can no longer fool you at the carnival, and I'm all like, how about you talking head clowns at least try.

A few things that are very interesting to watch out for. Faith Johnson was/is responsible for these cases.
Dallas County district attorney criticized for not arresting Mesquite officer

Some posters seem to have it dead set in their mind that she went to his apartment aiming to kill. I don’t think she did. And that stand your ground doesn’t apply here because she wasn’t in her apartment. IN HER MIND WHEN SHE PULLED THAT TRIGGER, she’s was in her apartment. Even if she wasn’t.. to HER, she was.

I've never once said she shouldn't suffer some consequences for what happened. Yes, a man is dead. Yes, she caused his death. I've never once said differently.

I'm just done posting on this thread. I'm over being made to feel like my opinion is wrong, WRONG, WRONG. And to me, that's not right. We are all allowed our own opinions based on what WE see. I take slight offense to the "magical thinking" comment.. because I've been in that state before of going to the wrong place and not noticing the signs that pointed to it wasn't my place. It's like anyone who has a different stance of she's not a cold blooded killer is wrong and not allowed to say a word. So I will just bow out now.

Katerz, I used the term "magical thinking" because I have known addicts (alcoholics and druggies) who no longer think like a normal person does, and yet they posit some extreme thinking that has no basis in reality. Make excuses, rationalize, etc. Just as this police officer has done. She could have made a different decision at several junctures along the way to getting to the wrong apartment--which couldn't have looked "exactly" like hers, because Jean had a red rug in front of his door, and she did not. I think the truth is very different from the story she is telling. I believe her "poor me, I didn't know where I was" spiel is an attempt at covering her tail, and to change the trajectory of where this case should go.

I don't agree with you, and was trying to say why I do not. I don't believe her story, I don't believe this officer, who shot an innocent man, is telling the truth. I think she went to confront Jean about the noise, got mad or scared or something, shot him, and then came up with some highfalutin' story about what happened.

She wasn’t in imminent danger! She could have backed away. She, for whatever reason, had an extremely itchy trigger finger. There’s zero excuse for what she did. I don’t even see an argument to debate. Everything she did was her own fault and wrong. Who cares about marijuana or whether she thought she was somewhere she wasn’t? She’s an adult who is fully responsible for her actions. I find this case infuriating. “She didn’t know where she was so she shot the resident.” That’s no defense. None. Grrrrr.

Yes. This.^^^

Katerz, I used the term "magical thinking" because I have known addicts (alcoholics and druggies) who no longer think like a normal person does, and yet they posit some extreme thinking that has no basis in reality. Make excuses, rationalize, etc. Just as this police officer has done. She could have made a different decision at several junctures along the way to getting to the wrong apartment--which couldn't have looked "exactly" like hers, because Jean had a red rug in front of his door, and she did not. I think the truth is very different from the story she is telling. I believe her "poor me, I didn't know where I was" spiel is an attempt at covering her tail, and to change the trajectory of where this case should go.

I don't agree with you, and was trying to say why I do not. I don't believe her story, I don't believe this officer, who shot an innocent man, is telling the truth. I think she went to confront Jean about the noise, got mad or scared or something, shot him, and then came up with some highfalutin' story about what happened.

Yes. This.^^^
Excellent post. You summed up my speculations as well. You seem to have distilled all the noise down to the essence of what most likely occurred. AG's subterfuge and deflection is a pathetic attempt to distort the truth. Not working.

Amateur opinion and speculation.

The article linked up other instances where DA's or chiefs had expedited the internal investigations and fired officers anyhow, leading one to conclude they are currently selling manure in this case.

Nothing about it says, "Hey, they seem like really trustworthy and honorable folks down there running that outfit."

I don't know about fed and state laws preventing Chief Hall from firing the Officer in question, but I would think she (AG), is entitled to due process. Her union will support her as well, IWT.

I am going to hold out hope for prudent and thoughtful justice in this case. Let the process reveal the facts, as best as is possible. At minimum, her gun slinging days are over. Who in their right mind would put her in the field again with a weapon? I would also be interested in closely reviewing her academy records to see how she tested and ranked. Might be some interesting data there.

Amateur opinion and speculation only

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members