TX - Botham Shem Jean, 26, killed when police officer entered wrong apartment, Dallas, Sept 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I came home from work and thought there was an intruder in my home, there would be no commands. And the chamber of my pistol would be emptied. That's a fact.
I would call 911 and report an intruder then statiion myself between the apartment & garage so as to get a photo of the perp and meet the LE arriving from the 911 call

I would NEVER shoot first

We Need Accountability!!!!

This one isnt even close... how can the public trust LE when they pull corrupt things like this? They should be bringing the hammer on her stating that she disgraced the badge. This will only divide further. Just like when Betty Jo Shelby murdered an unarmed man and was protected.

Snip:lunch break this afternoon, the council chambers promise to be filled with activists and advocates urging the city to address police violence in Dallas in the wake of last week’s killing of Botham Jean.

The rally, the first since a Monday march that ended in police firing pepper balls at protesters, is set to begin at noon in the plaza outside City Hall. It is being organized, in part, by Dominique Alexander of the Next Generation Action Network, as well as several other local organizations that were involved in the many protests against police brutality between 2014 and 2016—before the police shooting during a march on July 7, 2016, all but silenced the groups. The killing of Jean has re-energized the movement, and they are now united around a single policy goal: an overhaul of the Citizen Police Review Board.

That you have probably never heard of the Citizen Police Review Board is a testament to how ineffectual it is. Comprised of Dallas residents appointed by the City Council, it is supposed to provide some measure of oversight of the Dallas Police Department. But lacking all but ceremonial power, it is viewed by citizens and the police as irrelevant.

“Police officers treat it with such open contempt that it is shocking to me,” says Councilman Philip Kingston, who is vice-chair of the Council’s Public Safety and Criminal Justice Committee.

The idea of an overhaul of the board is not new. Yafeau Balogun, who is a leader of an activist group called Guerrilla Mainframe, says that conversations around giving the board more teeth began at least in 2011, after Tobias Mackey was shot and killed by a Dallas police officer in an Oak Cliff apartment complex. Since then, community activists have been pushing for a board that has subpoena power, as well as a budget to enable it to actually pursue investigations into police shootings.

“Now we have an opportunity to come back and push for a new civilian review board with subpoena power,” Balogun says. “That’s the ultimate goal at this particular time.”

Today, the Council will hear from dozens of protesters who are frustrated by decades of unaddressed police violence. They want to see some tangible action to begin to bridge divides of distrust. It is difficult to argue that the overhaul of the Citizen Review Board is not a good first step. But any overhaul must be meaningful. Without teeth, reform cannot restore trust. End Snip.
After Botham Jean Shooting, Activists Push for Long-Overdue Reform of Police Oversight Board - D Magazine

Two things I wonder about:
One: If taking the first version given at face value, and AG really believed that she was at her apartment door and that the lock was jammed for some reason, could the "let me in" be said to the lock/door and not to a person? She could also have hit the door out of frustration being tired and cranky. If then the door was opened by BSJ, she could have pushed the door open by force and if so, he would most likely had had to stumble backwards to avoid being hit by the door.

Two: If AG had been carrying things and had had to put them down while struggling with the door, if LE took photos of the crime scene then those items would have to be there on those photos (unless AG was allowed to take them with her before the photos were taken).

Off topic: To all my WS comrades. This just happened in my area. I don’t know how to make a thread. This is the second beheading in my state. The first was a few blocks from me. Can someone help?

CARNEGIE, Okla. - A man was reportedly beheaded Wednesday morning in Carnegie, law officers told News 9.

One man was found dead with multiple stab wounds near an abandoned residence in Carnegie city limits, the FBI said.

A woman was also found with multiple stab wounds and was taken to a local hospital for treatment, the FBI reported.

Carnegie police notified the Bureau of Indian Affairs since the crime happened on tribal lands.

Man Reportedly Beheaded In Carnegie; Authorities Investigating

BIA, FBI investigating after man was found dead in Carnegie

Snip:CARNEGIE, Okla. - A man was killed after being stabbed repeatedly Wednesday morning in Carnegie, the FBI reported.

One man was found dead with multiple stab wounds near an abandoned residence in Carnegie city limits, the FBI said.

A woman was also found with multiple stab wounds and was taken to a local hospital for treatment, the FBI reported.

Initial reports from law officers indicated the man had been beheaded.

Carnegie police notified the Bureau of Indian Affairs since the crime happened on tribal lands.

Stay with News 9 and News9.com for more information as it becomes available. End Snip.
Man Repeatedly Stabbed, Killed In Carnegie; Authorities Investigating

Last edited:
BBM
Botham got a call from the downstairs neighbor. Obviously it is “miss elite”. How did she get his phone number? Did she run a background check on him at her job?

I don't think they said she called him. I think the apartments did, on her behalf. Usually they don't want tenants managing those situations.

She didn't have time to flip on the light to see who she was shooting but she had time to stand there and give him commands that she claims he didn't comply with? Yeah---I don't think so.

And in spite of not turning on the light, she managed to see a bulletproof vest, weapons and drugs in his apartment? Unreal.

Knowing where you are and knowing the address of the location (or apartment number) can be two different things. As for noise, shooting some one over noise is a bad motive, but still a motive. I think it is also important to look at what is often the underlying motive in noise, parking space, wrong sports apparel, don't look at me, loud music and "people just don't text here" etc. type shootings: Respect / disrespect / honor.

Needless to say, a certain percentage of the US population takes respect / dis respect / honor very seriously. There are several honor based sub cultures in the US and many police have a dose of it. So do many military personnel.

We expect police to be able to filter out honor based reactions. That goes triple for those leading to murder. That expectation, however, is not always met. A retired police officer in Florida killed a man over thrown popcorn (really respect / disrespect).

It seems that the officer's version of events is contradicted by witness statements and perhaps even mechanical impossibility as the door / lock do not seem to function that way. This could support a confrontation over noise / respect / honor that escalated into an impulsive shooting and an impulsive explanation of the "wrong apartment".
In the popcorn case in Florida there was a confrontation---a back and forth type of thing. There was no confrontation here. She didn't open the door and shout "I'm sick of your damn noise" and then shoot him. I happen to believe she went to the wrong apt, saw a silhouette, and shot him from the doorway, thinking he was an intruder. She didn't hesitate because she thought she was in the right and he didn't stand a chance. But she was wrong and her haste 6to kill someone should cost her being charged with murder and a long prison sentence. MOO IMO

Can the family sue for Slander if untrue? Which is very very likely to be untrue.

Oh, I hope they do sue. I'm really surprised the higher ups at Dallas PD and the Texas Rangers decided to go with this disgusting behavior and actually put out a search warrant with what, we assume is poorly sourced information.

But, then again, it's Texas, so nothing should surprise me.

1. She ended her shift & returned to the CORRECT police department

2. She clocked out using the CORRECT time clock

3. She retrieved her CORRECT belongings from the CORRECT locker

4. She went to the CORRECT parking lot & retrieved her CORRECT car using the CORRECT set of keys

5. She then drove .2 miles on the CORRECT side of the street using CORRECT hand & eye coordination & observing all CORRECT traffic laws

6. She turns her car into the CORRECT apt building............ Wait For It....NEXT IS WHERE THEY WANT US TO BELIEVE AN ACUTE ONSET OF BLINDNESS & AMMESIA TOOK PLACE

7. She is now CONFUSED & parks on the WRONG garage floor on the WRONG side of the building

8.She gets out of the CORRECT car & locks the doors with the CORRECT keys & takes her CORRECT personal belongings.

9. She takes the stairs &/or elevator to the WRONG FLOOR

10. With her eyes open (The same ones used in the preceding events & she used all day) She walks to the WRONG apt door

11. At this door is a RED DOORMAT that she has never seen before & located on the side of the door is where the apt number can be visualized

12. According to different reports she either-
(A). Bangs & yells on the WRONG door because her CORRECT keys won't open the WRONG door & Mr. Botham answers the door & is shot.
(B.) Stated WRONG door was UNLOCKED & she enters the WRONG dark apt and SUDDENLY REGAINS HER SIGHT & sees an unknown male & fires her police issued weapon at suspect striking him in the chest

13. At this point she turns on the light & realizes she is in the WRONG APT & shot the WRONG PERSON

14. She regains her vision & calls 911 (It has not been reported that she began CPR on Mr. Bonham)

15. EMS & police arrive in 4 minutes and per a video taken by a tenant & posted on social media said officer can be seen pacing hallways & talking on phone (family? lawyer?)

16. EMS is seen providing CPR to Mr. Bonham who is subsequently taken to & pronounced dead at a local Dallas Hospital

17. Officer sleeps in a comfortable bed & remains free without charges for 3 days because this has been described to the public as " A VERY SPECIAL CASE"

18. Mr. Bontham is placed on a cold slab in the coroner's morgue as his family flys thousands of miles from St. Lucia to identify their beloved son & brother's body

19. 72 hrs later officer is charged with manslaughter in the death of Mr. Bonham & posts 10% of the $300K bail is back home with her family

20. Mr. Bonham's family prepares to bury him on Thursday.

* Now Let That All Sink In*

I would call 911 and report an intruder then statiion myself between the apartment & garage so as to get a photo of the perp and meet the LE arriving from the 911 call

I would NEVER shoot first
This exact scenario happened a year ago in my city. The burglars didn't give the homeowner time to call 911. They shot him dead in his own driveway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member