TX - Caesar & Adriana Coronado, 14, murdered, Katy, 12 March 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The "capital murder" paragraph was edited to read thus during the "momentarily unavailable" (Updated: 11:52 AM, May 26, 2016) time.

Apparently no murder charges at this moment.

Seriously annoyed with KPRC.

ETA the link: http://www.click2houston.com/news/m...-deaths-of-adriana-coronado-father-police-say

I'm annoyed, too. Here's a quote from that link that makes no sense, "her father’s body was found burned inside a pickup truck." Um, no, that's not what happened here. (I have alerted KPRC)

Also, the article states, "Caesar made an alleged drug run from Laredo to Mexico in October." That's not right, right? Why is he running drugs to Mexico? I thought they were moving from Mexico to the US. (I have alerted KPRC)

One last thing ... how does this make sense? No charges for $48K, but $1K gets you a charge?
* "more than $1,020 in cash was found inside Solis’ home during the search, according to the search warrant affidavit. The items found led investigators to believe Solis was involvement in a major drug ring."
* "Solis believes Caesar stole $48,000 in cash that was seized by officials as Caesar made an alleged drug run from Laredo to Mexico in October. Police found the cash in the rear driver’s door of the vehicle Caesar was driving. He was not arrested at the time because officials said the amount of cash “did not meet the threshold for prosecution” the affidavit read."

ETA the link: http://www.click2houston.com/news/m...-deaths-of-adriana-coronado-father-police-say

I'm annoyed, too. Here's a quote from that link that makes no sense, "her father’s body was found burned inside a pickup truck." Um, no, that's not what happened here. (I have alerted KPRC)

Also, the article states, "Caesar made an alleged drug run from Laredo to Mexico in October." That's not right, right? Why is he running drugs to Mexico? I thought they were moving from Mexico to the US. (I have alerted KPRC)

One last thing ... how does this make sense? No charges for $48K, but $1K gets you a charge?
* "more than $1,020 in cash was found inside Solis’ home during the search, according to the search warrant affidavit. The items found led investigators to believe Solis was involvement in a major drug ring."
* "Solis believes Caesar stole $48,000 in cash that was seized by officials as Caesar made an alleged drug run from Laredo to Mexico in October. Police found the cash in the rear driver’s door of the vehicle Caesar was driving. He was not arrested at the time because officials said the amount of cash “did not meet the threshold for prosecution” the affidavit read."

Yah, Houston, we have some problems in the article.

That's one reason I prefer to read the original documents themselves.

I don't think the $1,020 found at Solis' house is truly a factor in determining that he was part of a drug trafficking operation. Use of the word "major" is a subjective thing, although I suspect that Solis (and Coronado) are in fact connected to "major" drug trafficking operations.

You don't move drugs through Laredo without the blessing of them that control the plaza. Not unless you intend to get killed or start a war. Or both.

Solis was already a target in a DEA investigation prior to the murders for other reasons as stated in the federal criminal complaint affidavit. I'm rechurning the information contained in it.

Here's how KTRK described the October 2015 events as presumably laid out in the search warrant affidavit:

Last October, federal agents seized 16 kilograms of cocaine from a bus and $48,000 from Coronado at the Mexican border and the affidavit suggests Solis became suspicious that Cesar Coronado was involved.

http://abc13.com/news/documents-reveal-horrific-details-in-teens-brutal-murder/1356215/

The cocaine was on the bus and Coronado was "at the border" with $48,000.

The money generally flows south.

Going only from these two articles and without seeing the affidavit itself, I would guess Coronado was a money mule on his way to make a payment.

As far as the "threshold" for arrest thing....

Well, I gotta wonder if Solis (and possibly whoever his boss is/was) wasn't partially right about something about Coronado.

If I'm conducting an investigation/operation (that may possibly be part of a larger investigation/operation possibly not limited to within the US) and I have picked up a money mule headed south, I just might be inclined not to arrest him if I can utilize him to lead to bigger player(s).

And so it goes.

Not really enough information revealed for me to stake a solid opinion about that, but I think it is safe to say that red flags were up immediately in a lot of places the minute it was known that Cesar Coronado and his daughter were missing.

I suspect the criminal complaint and arrests of Solis and Sanchez came much earlier than the original plan for wherever that investigation/operation was trying to go with regard to those two.

Their arrests became an immediate necessity, though, due to the kidnapping and murder of an innocent child in the US.

I'm hoping that after I get this typed and posted I'll be able to locate the search warrant affidavit online or at least a reasonably comprehensive article from the Chronicle.

In a way, there are two stories here, one being a state investigation into two murders, including a teenage girl.

The other being a federal narcotics investigation that is probably very complex and by their nature best kept as secretative as possible until the indictments and arrests come down.

Even then, the nuts and bolts of the investigations are usually no more spelled out than is necessary to get indictments, pass muster in the court, get convictions (most federal cases plead out rather than go to trial) and turn a defendant or two (or three, or...) and head off for the next round.

Two stories that are really a single story.

A story that contains factors not usually so obviously present here in the USA.

ETA: Added some thoughts around the descriptor "major."

I wonder if the wife, Adrianna' Mother new anything about Caesar' drug dealings?

She was also sexually assaulted? I was reallllyyyy hoping her presence was unexpected and that she'd been killed quickly. What an evil, evil black soul this man must have!

I will NEVER understand how someone could have such a complete and utter disregard for human life that they're able to brutally murder a child they don't even know and think nothing of it.

:tears: sadly, i knew it had something to do with drugs. the burning of the cars and their bodies made me think cartel related. :rose: rip adriana, you didnt deserve this fate

She may have known enough to know she didn't want to know much of anything.

And honestly, their native culture is extremely paternal. Wives take care of the house, the husband and the children, period. This is not so prevalent in the second and third generation immigrants, however.

A motive is still a mystery in the cases. Solis will be in federal court on Friday.

http://www.kgns.tv/home/headlines/New-Court-Documents-Released-in-Teens-381047261.html

Not a whole lot of new info popped lasted night or yet today, but I did notice that Solis will make an appearance in federal court in Houston sometime today.

I don't normally track cases in the Southern District of Texas and I am having some learning curve #%*! moments with their dockets and calendars.

I did manage to come across the indictment for USA v. Solis et al.

The docket number is 4:16-cr-00141.

The indictment was filed under seal on 4-6-2016.

The three defendants are:

Jose Jaime Solis, Jr.,
Ramon Hipolite Sanchez, and
[Redacted]

The first two counts are:

1. Conspiracy to Possess with Intent to Distribute a Controlled Substance
2. Possession with Intent to Distribute a Controlled Substance

All three defendants are charged with these counts. The particulars are essentially the events laid out in the criminal complaint involving the transport of cocaine by commercial bus from Laredo to Houston.

The third count in the indictment applies only to Solis.

3. Possession of Firearm by a Prohibited Person

According to the indictment, Solis was convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence in Harris County, Texas on 10-15-2007.

The indictment is charging him on this count as a violation of Title 18 U.S.C. 922 (g)(9).

It lists five firearms and ammunition in Solis' possession on or about March 24, 2016. (The date he was arrested and his home in Montgomery County searched.)

The indictment also contains a Notice of Criminal Forfeiture and a Notice of Criminal Forfeiture of Firearms and Ammunition.

The indictment itself can be viewed and downloaded from this link:

https://www.unitedstatescourts.org/federal/txsd/1349285/

I apologize for not being able to say with certainty what his court hearing today is for.

I am assuming it is a detention hearing. He had one previously scheduled and had it postponed until he could retain private counsel.

He has hired counsel by the name of Juan Guerra. Again, I apologize that I haven't confirmed, but I believe that attorney is Juan Luis Guerra, a criminal defense attorney who comes with a good amount of experience.

I couldn't find anything reporting that Solis has had a detention hearing, therefore my assumption that is probably on today's calendar.

That may also be why the Montgomery County search warrant was recently unsealed as reported yesterday.

The government will have to prove to the judge's satisfaction that Solis is either a flight risk or poses a threat to public safety in order to continue his pre-trial detention.

Detention hearings can be interesting in that prosecutors will often show cards they have been holding.

We'll see. Hopefully one or more of the media outlets in Houston will have someone at the courthouse for whatever is on the calendar today for Solis.

ETA: Corrected the number of firearms from six to five.
ETA2: Corrected the name of the person I believe is Solis' attorney.

The five firearms listed in the indictment for USA v. Solis et. al. Docket # 4:16-cr-00141:

Winchester model 94 rifle

Remington model 700 rifle

Walter .380 handgun
(Thinking this is a typo and should be Walther?)

Savage Arms .22 caliber rifle

Winchester model 70 caliber 300 rifle Winchester Magnum rifle

Ammunition:

Federal Premium .22 caliber
Remington 30-30
Monarch .380 caliber

Interesting that in the indictment the 9mm is not listed with the other firearms. Hmmm.

Yes, notably not one on the list.

Possible that the gun used in both murders belonged to a person other than Solis.

Or that the weapon was destroyed after use.

Or both.

http://abc13.com/news/documents-reveal-horrific-details-in-teens-brutal-murder/1356215/

From link - this is new information (to me): "At Coronado's apartment in west Houston, detectives found bloody foot and shoeprints as well as a federal subpoena last seen in Solis' possession. They questioned whether he was sending an 'unknown message.'"

Univision has a bit more in their report. It looks to me that their report is taken directly from the affidavit and is not a rehash of other reporting.

I have to use the auto-translation as my Spanish is very clumsy.

In the family apartment Coronado in west Houston, as he was known, detectives found blood on the bed Adriana girl and footprints of shoes bloodied and a federal subpoena for a driver of the bus company Tornado . The summons never reached the hands of the driver but stopped in the hands of Solis. Detectives ask if Solis document mistakenly left in the apartment of Coronado or if he was trying to send an "unknown message".

http://www.univision.com/noticias/a...r-las-actividades-de-narcotrafico-de-su-padre

Articles about the search warrant affidavit from Univision and Telemundo have a bit more graphic information as to some indication a sexual assault may have occurred.

http://www.telemundohouston.com/not...oronado-cesar-coronado-fbi-dea-381018451.html

I would really like to read that affidavit.

Agreed. We need that affidavit.

I'm way down in the rabbit hole of court documents on Coronado, Solis & Sanchez ... my head is spinning. I started putting together a summary for us, but there are so many, and so many aliases and similar names, charges on everything (pot, meth, coke, harboring aliens - jail time, probation, deportation) and in all different states (California, Alabama, Texas, etc.), and so much of it is sealed that I am lost. I'll keep at it for a bit, but may just give up and wait for LE or the courts to make sense of the games that were going on.

I can confirm that this is the same Ramon Sanchez because it shows that on 4/1/2016 copies of the file were requested for 16-CR-00222.

SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF TEXAS (Corpus Christi)
CRIMINAL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 2:09-cr-00672-1
Magistrate judge case number: 2:09-mj-00657
Case title: USA v. Ramon Sanchez
Charges: NARCOTICS - SELL, DISTRIBUTE, OR DISPENSE (approx. 1.01 kilograms of cocaine) - Felony
Arrested on 7/23/2009
Indicted on 8/20/2009
Pled guilty on 9/21/2009
On 12/3/2009 sentenced to prison for 60 months, then 5 years of supervised probation

Overview: On 7/23/2009 Border Patrol checkpoint K-9 alerted on Sanchez's Chevy Silverado pick-up truck. Inside a false wall of the truck's toolbox, coke was found. Sanchez stated that he lived in Corpus Christi, employed as a cabinet maker, and was returning home from visiting his parents in Donna, TX. He did admit the coke was his during questioning.

probably not, they usually don't tell their wives anything. a wife of a major player who has a LOT of $ might know because duh, how is her husband getting all this money? but they lived in an apt.

I wonder if the wife, Adrianna' Mother new anything about Caesar' drug dealings?

agreed. the area too.

:tears: sadly, i knew it had something to do with drugs. the burning of the cars and their bodies made me think cartel related. :rose: rip adriana, you didnt deserve this fate

the blood being on the bed tells me they sexually assaulted the girl to hurt her father :( poor girl

Univision has a bit more in their report. It looks to me that their report is taken directly from the affidavit and is not a rehash of other reporting.

I have to use the auto-translation as my Spanish is very clumsy.

http://www.univision.com/noticias/a...r-las-actividades-de-narcotrafico-de-su-padre

Articles about the search warrant affidavit from Univision and Telemundo have a bit more graphic information as to some indication a sexual assault may have occurred.

http://www.telemundohouston.com/not...oronado-cesar-coronado-fbi-dea-381018451.html

I would really like to read that affidavit.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back