Found Deceased TX - Caleb Harris, 21, Texas A&M University student, Corpus Christi, 4 Mar 2024 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Note that when you slip, the auto-response is usually to throw your arms up to balance. Shoulder width with arms over head is much narrower.
SBM
Very important to take into account. Plus the sudden step into a huge steep drop combined with the arms up, would completely throw off your balance and lessen any ability to grab the side in an attempt to climb back to safety. Especially in fog conditions where you would have no visibility and no idea what you’d even stepped into.

Last edited:
I'm still struggling with a barefoot Caleb ignoring his Uber eats order to wonder down to the bridge to snap a quick photo, and then wandering over to a field enveloped in a thick fog. For what reason? To take another photo? Of what? The wastewater facility? I just can't reconcile his movements once he left his apartment.

The other issue for me is his cell phone. If he is outside taking innocent random photos to kill time, why was his phone turned off? Im not sure if the field was illumintated by lighting on the highway, but it would seem a phone flashlight would come in handy crossing a field in the fog.

Last edited:
I'm still struggling with a barefoot Caleb ignoring his Uber eats order to wonder down to the bridge to snap a quick photo, and then wandering over to a field enveloped in a thick fog. For what reason? To take another photo? Of what? The wastewater facility? I just can't reconcile his movements once he left his apartment.

The other issue for me is his cell phone. If he is outside taking innocent random photos to kill time, why was his phone turned off? Im not sure if the field was illumintated by lighting on the highway, but it would seem a phone flashlight would come in handy crossing a field in the fog.
These are indeed questions that investigators must be or should be asking and looking into. Plus, there is still the question of where his phone is.

These are indeed questions that investigators must be or should be asking and looking into. Plus, there is still the question of where his phone is.
Yes, the phone.

So much helpful information was provided by Assistant Chief Green in the Caller article, including evidence of Caleb's clothing and the extent of the remains recovered, along with confirmation of the fact that LE were initially unaware of the open manhole in the farm field.

(I'm surprised that the many volunteer search parties missed that manhole too.)

But where is Caleb's phone? If it was in a pocket, then it went into the manhole with him. Phones aren't buoyant, so it might remain inert on the "floor" of the piping, somewhere between the manhole and the lift station, until just the right amount of pressure and matter combine to move it along. It may never be found.

Yes, the phone.

So much helpful information was provided by Assistant Chief Green in the Caller article, including evidence of Caleb's clothing and the extent of the remains recovered, along with confirmation of the fact that LE were initially unaware of the open manhole in the farm field.

(I'm surprised that the many volunteer search parties missed that manhole too.)

But where is Caleb's phone? If it was in a pocket, then it went into the manhole with him. Phones aren't buoyant, so it might remain inert on the "floor" of the piping, somewhere between the manhole and the lift station, until just the right amount of pressure and matter combine to move it along. It may never be found.
Another question: Could the phone have been completely corroded by the chemicals in the water?

To Note:
•April 17, a woman noticed the manhole in the field uncovered & notified LE
•April 18 LE had the water pumped from manhole; Green said they did not notice anything or have a way to enter the sewer.
•Manholes that are about 24-inches in diameter drop down about 18-feet to a concrete pit.
•The pit provides an access point to the well for the wastewater department and is covered by a steel grate secured with a padlock.
•The day CH was found, workers were checking the area after an alarm went off. They first discovered clothing.
•CCFD went outside to open the pit, a portion of Harris' body was visibly clear through the grate.

To Note:
•April 17, a woman noticed the manhole in the field uncovered & notified LE
•April 18 LE had the water pumped from manhole; Green said they did not notice anything or have a way to enter the sewer.
•Manholes that are about 24-inches in diameter drop down about 18-feet to a concrete pit.
•The pit provides an access point to the well for the wastewater department and is covered by a steel grate secured with a padlock.
•The day CH was found, workers were checking the area after an alarm went off. They first discovered clothing.
•CCFD went outside to open the pit, a portion of Harris' body was visibly clear through the grate.
Thanks for laying it out like this for reference!
It’s clear that except for the manhole being uncovered in an area not really public, that due diligence was done.

Freak accidents can - and do - happen all the time, unfortunately. Here’s a perfect example of one involving a storm drain that would be unbelievable if not captured on camera.

That’s unbelievable! The sheer chance of that trajectory…

And this teen falling down into a manhole also reveals how quickly it can happen:

As has been posted multiple times, the UberEats order was for the next day. He knew it would be delivered and he could get it when he came back. As for the rest, why do young men do half the things they do? He was restless, high-energy, thought the fog was super cool, wanted to explore...just because you would never do something like that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't. We likely will never know.

Are we sure his phone was deliberately turned off, or just went off when it presumably hit water/went underwater?

Last edited:
amazing that he had no injuries... guess the physics of this is more like a Bugs Bunny cartoon than I can believe.

Well, no injuries visible from the remains (which I assume was not a great deal). jmo

I'm sorry my thoughts are graphic but I would assume bloating eventually occurred and then sloughing of skin and tissue. It took quite some time to even identify him. I could be wrong, all jmo.

Well, no injuries visible from the remains (which I assume was not a great deal). jmo

I'm sorry my thoughts are graphic but I would assume bloating eventually occurred and then sloughing of skin and tissue. It took quite some time to even identify him. I could be wrong, all jmo.
I have a question along your line of thinking. The CCPD stated that they were unable to visualize anything inside the manhole as it had water in it at the time and they couldn't see to the bottom. If he had fallen into that manhole, wouldn't his body have floated to the top by April 18?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back